I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

We are going July 4 week and I want to do four red, white and blue shirts. Any suggestions for using only two colors - besides the white shirt.

Can't wait to try them out. Everyones shirts look great.

Linda

Well, I just attempted a red, white and blue shirt today. Once I get it rinsed out and see if my technique worked I'll post what I did... I'm not too sure it's going to turn out though...:confused3

Has anyone tried doing tye-dye with a pack of Rit dye? I'm thinking about doing a single-color one. I'm inspired by the shirts one of the teachers made for her students for Field day - they were light and medium blue, the light blue being where the tee was "tied".

I forgot to ask her how she made them. Silly me! Any suggestions?

Can I ask you what dye you used and what brand shirts they came out so bright. How do they wash. Thank you for your time

Amifred
Can I ask you what dye you used and what brand shirts they came out so bright. And what did you do to get them so defined.How do they wash. Thank you for your time

Ok - I might be wimping out on the tie dye red, white and blue tshirts for our July 4th trip. I just went on the Disney Shopping website and they have flag shirts with Mickey heads where the stars should be and they are 5.99 each. I am thinking I have too much to do before our trip and just might order these so there will be less pressure on me to get them completed.

I still want to try the tie dye shirts but I might order them just incase the ones I try to make do not come out good or if I just run out of time making four of them. We are going again in November so that would give me more time.

I will still be checking these boards though to see how everyones comes out and to give me courage to try it.

Linda

I've use both Rainbow Rock and Tulip dye kits. I find soaking in soda ash even if the kit doesn't call for it makes the colors brighter. Also, letting them sit in the dye for a good 12 to 24 hours helps. I've tried to use Rit dye to make a black Mickey head and the black faded a bit when it was washed...

My red, white and blue came out pretty good I think. Just make sure to wrap your rubber bands really tight and don't over saturate with red and blue or you won't have any white:thumbsup2

I would love to see your RWB shirts. What brand did you use and did they Fade at all. thank you for answering my Questinons. I did my owne they are a bit different. I also tye die the Mickey also. Thanks again

Yes please, I would love to see your red, white and blue shirts. Please post pictures. I ordered the flag shirts from Disney shopping but I have a few more days before we leave if I really want to try doing the tye die shirts.

Linda

OMG!!! Ladies thank you so much.. 14 shirts came out awesome.... Ill post pics later.... when they come out of the wash and dryer... next week we are trying sheets.

Ok now update: after i washed them they came out very muted any suggestions

My shirts that i did this weekend

IMG_03681.jpg
IMG_03691.jpg

IMG_03701.jpg
IMG_03731.jpg

IMG_03741.jpg
IMG_03751.jpg

IMG_03761.jpg
IMG_03771.jpg

IMG_03781.jpg
IMG_03791.jpg

IMG_03801.jpg
IMG_03811.jpg

Ok, I know this is silly but 1) wash the shirts and dry. 2) Draw Mickey head and baste, tie? 3)Soak in soda ash. 4) Tie up shirt and dye? Is this right? I just want to make sure I've got all the steps right.:)

Ok, I know this is silly but 1) wash the shirts and dry. 2) Draw Mickey head and baste, tie? 3)Soak in soda ash. 4) Tie up shirt and dye? Is this right? I just want to make sure I've got all the steps right.:)

I'd put in step 3.5: let shirts dry until just damp, THEN step 4.

I followed the instructions to tie then soak then squeeze the excess water out. Right. It was like trying to squeeze water from a stone! :rotfl2: Plus, having all the excess moisture in the shirts made for a very messy time and I was never sure just how much of the dye was actually getting through all of the tight folds.

My other suggestion is to start with the yellow, then the other colors. That's what I'm going to do this next time.

Good luck!

Wow you are all so impressive!!!

I just dont get how basting with floss or fishing line marks that "head" off. I feel like I would be taking a leap of faith!

Even though I cant even seem to type up my list of ADR's I must find time for this! They are so COOOOOL!

THank you!!!

Wow you are all so impressive!!!

I just dont get how basting with floss or fishing line marks that "head" off. I feel like I would be taking a leap of faith!

Even though I cant even seem to type up my list of ADR's I must find time for this! They are so COOOOOL!

THank you!!!

Basting with floss or fishing line gives you a sturdy string to work with. Once you have basted the shape, you need to gather it together so it can be banded tightly with a rubber band. I found that it was easiest to gather the Mickey head as I was doing it rather than trying to do it afterwards. I could get a tighter pull that way.

These shirts really aren't that hard, just a bit time consuming and very messy! Of course, then you have to have lots of patience to wait the 24 hours for the dye to set. I think that's the hardest part! But then when you see the finished product, you're hooked and want to do more.

I posted my tees on the spiral tie dye thread the other day if anyone wants to look at them.

Have fun, and be sure to post any questions that you may have before you start.

Where can I get a template for my mickey head? I am not an artist, so I couldn't freehand a head. Honestly, stick figures are challenging for me to draw! :)

I've read that some people use their kids' meals plastic plates, but we didn't save any from our last trip.

Thanks!!

Where can I get a template for my mickey head? I am not an artist, so I couldn't freehand a head. Honestly, stick figures are challenging for me to draw!

Check post #53 ... there is a mickey head there that I used. I printed it on card stock and cut it out and I am going to use it as my template (haven't gotten that far yet!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter