I really want to know!!! Cancel your cruise because of the new policy.

Would you cancel a DCL cruise because of the new Alcohol carry on policy?

• I have/will cancel my cruise vacation because of the new policy.

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • I will not cancel my cruise vacation because of the new policy.

Votes: 108 41.9%
  • No big deal to me, I don't drink.

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • I drink but don't bring alcohol on board.

Votes: 75 29.1%

• Total voters
I don't bring alcohol into a hotel, I would not bring alcohol onto the ship. It's like bringing food into a restaurant.

I would assume that you mean it would not be a restaurant's policy to allow diners to bring food from outside sources with them, correct? Since it was and is DCLs policy to permit the bringing of various alcohols on board, it's NOT like bringing food into a restaurant.

I'm so thankful that I don't rely or need alcohol to have fun.

Me, too. What a relief. However, I do enjoy the occasional adult beverage. Are you insinuating that I'm wrong in my intent and actions of wanting to bring alcoholic beverages on board as specifically allowed by DCL?

Last edited:
I don't bring alcohol into a hotel, I would not bring alcohol onto the ship.
Why not? There isn't a single hotel that I know of that would disallow guests from bringing a bottle of Champagne, for example, into the hotel to enjoy in their room. Why do you think that hotels have ice machines, ice buckets and wine glasses in the room? That is a truly bizarre statement.
It's like bringing food into a restaurant.
If the restaurant (or ship) has a corkage policy, then it both welcomes and anticipates people bringing in their own wine. It is nothing at all like bringing in your own food. They couldn't be more different. Look. If you aren't a wine lover or a wine collector or a wine drinker, that's fine. But don't come here and try to tell others who are following the rules set down by the establishment that they are doing something wrong, untoward, unethical or inappropriate. We don't need or appreciate your sanctimonious inaccuracies.

i sure wouldn't change cruise ressies because of a change in alcohol on board. good grief if each person can bring 2 bottles that alone is 4 per cruise plus i understand you can get an additional bottles per person from each port you land at. (could be wrong about this) but either way bringing alcohol on board is a no brainer to me - couldn't care less is they allow it or not. Bringing alcohol on board (or not) certainly is NOT my reason for signing on ANY cruise. Price of a cruise is a heck of a lot more than ANY booze (which isn't free anyway you still must buy it when on shore)
!!

I have a thick skin, but don't see the need to call people drunks or too poor to cruise a certain line crosses the line in my opinion. If I read the dis board basics, I am surprised that the mods are not either removing the posts penalizing the posters. Seeing how many new accounts are popping up, maybe that is happening.

I love a good debate where sides are debated and we can walk away disagreeing, that is cool. Just the posts that all they say is go cruise a cheap line or you have bigger issues if you cancel because you can't carry on booze are not adding anything to the discussion, and are just trying to fan the flames IMHO.

It's great how so much is read into what some have posted. Please quote the posts where someone was called a "drunk" or "too poor".

No, we will not cancel our cruise b/c DCL changes their alcohol policy. We didn't cancel our cruise when DCL changed their smoking policy either. We don't cruise w/ Disney b/c of alcohol or where DH is allowed to enjoy his cigars. We cruise b/c it IS Disney. They have so much more to offer.

i sure wouldn't change cruise ressies because of a change in alcohol on board. good grief if each person can bring 2 bottles that alone is 4 per cruise (...)

Exactly. I can't even imagine drinking 4 bottles in a whole week! I know some people drink 1-2 glasses of wine every day, I don't know how they do it. I don't think my body could support that amount.

If someone has to cancel a cruise for an alcohol policy gone wild, I think that person has MUCH BIGGER ISSUES!

So for maybe what? 50-100 bucks, one would cancel a trip because of booze, I still see an issue here with this...budgeting or not! I'm guessing if your that tight for money in the first place, carnival cruise maybe a better choice for you. Just saying....

One can be buzzed at home for a lot less money. It still amazes me how critical a role alcohol plays in some lives.

I'm so thankful that I don't rely or need alcohol to have fun.

It is posts like these that are only trying to fan the flames, and they have been on the other threads too. They are not adding to the discussion, just posting an opinion to draw a reaction from others.

Well here is my opinion, we are truly looking at moving on from DCL due to, the diminishing benifits for the loyalty program, for example dropping the extra OBC for this group, only getting the onboard booking credit on one cruise, same itineraries, same shows and acts over and over (John Charles is only one with unique shows), service and friendliness of staff is not the same as prior years, pool hours being shorter (was nice when they were open when we skipped a show), many of the menus haven't changed much since we started cruising DCL, and research we have done has shown that DCL is falling more in line with other cruise lines as far as what they offer. One big annoyance was the last cruise we were on we stayed onboard during port days that we had already stopped at on previous cruises hoping to ride the aquadunk like I had on previous port days and it was closed until the ship left port this last time:(.

The alcohol policy was the tipping point, because of the way DCL handled it, very arrogantly, them thinking they are heads and tails above everyone still. Before our next DCL cruise we will price out celebrity and princess cruises before we go onboard and if they are cheaper we will give them a go. We may still do a placeholder on DCL in case the other lines don't meet our expectations we can get back on DCL. If we find we really like one of the other lines we would dump the placeholder. It is a case of we don't know what we are missing with other lines until we try them.

Last edited:
Yes people but what if you don't drink wine or beer, the new policy isn't that great then is it! Try replacing the policy change for something else like the removing of free fountain soda, banning any kind of smoking anywhere on the ship or such likes and doing it, say with a months notice. It is not just the act, it is the way it is introduced with short notice and effects some people, different things upset different people.

We are sailing again on the Fantasy at the holidays but our next trip will on Celebrity which I researched for the last three days and we can get Concierge or above (Aqua) for the same price as an inside on DCL on some sailings and way better itineraries!!! This decision is a direct result of another Disney perk being removed. I don't drink for weeks on end and have said before I have not had a drink since a long weekend in Savannah at the end of June, where I consumed a whole 4 cocktails over three nights, but for me it is the principle as well. I am not finished with DCL just yet but they won't be the only contender in the ring.

Last edited:
An explanation isn't owed. I don't question people who go jewelry shopping while on their cruise and buy $2,000 tennis bracelets or $7,000 Rolexes. Nor do I question them when they go on a cruise and leave a $1.5 million house behind, with a $90,000 car in the garage. I don't spend my money on any of those things. By comparison, fine wine is a relatively inexpensive luxury good.

That said, I did a quick check this morning on The Wine Advocate database. TWA is the foremost wine rating and tasting note publication in its field. Looking at Cabernet Sauvignon from the 2012 vintage in California, (the most recent vintage to make it market for the most part), of the wines that fit in that category and which scored 92 points or higher on its 100 point rating scale, the average price of such wines is $215 per bottle, and the median price is $150. There are only 3 (out of 146) wines priced below $50 with the average price of those being $40. Now, to be fair, some of these prices are secondary market (auction) prices as many of these wines have instantly appreciated in value immediately upon release. But if you wanted to go out into the marketplace to buy them, this is what you would have to pay. And if I did a similar search for Bordeaux, the prices would be more than double that. And Red Burgundy?? Don't get me started. $275-$450 is the low-end ante for those. The bottom line is that $100 is not an extraordinary price to pay for a bottle of fine wine. And many, many people buy them. I'm not saying that my cellar is stocked exclusively with such bottles. But that was really the point of my earlier post. At any one time after buying/consuming, I might have 50 or so such bottles that I save for special occasions. Birthdays. Anniversaries. Promotions. And, yes, vacations. Especially cruises, though we usually will bring a few bottles with us when we go to WDW as well. So it is nice to be able to choose a cruise line that allows us to treat a cruise with them as a special occasion and pull the cork on one of our better bottles.

And to its credit, DCL mostly gets this, by still allowing a couple to bring 4 bottles with them. I just wish they made the rule "One bottle per night of the cruise, per cabin" so that a 7 day cruise would mean 7 bottles total for the cabin and a 10 day cruise would mean 10, and a 4 day cruise would mean 4. But as compared to Scotch aficionados, I've got far less to complain about.
I also enjoy fine wines but have nowhere to cellar them. I'll pick up a really busty red when we grill some good steak (I'll stand on top of my husband to make sure he doesn't overcook). We'll then enjoy every drop. There is nothing better. I know exactly where you are with this. There are people who spend $400 on a pair of athletic shoes that will never hit a court. I have no judgement. You collect your dreamy wine. You deserve it. If we cross paths, I'd love a sip of a Barolo. Just love them.

It is posts like these that are only trying to fan the flames, and they have been on the other threads too. They are not adding to the discussion, just posting an opinion to draw a reaction from others.

Well here is my opinion, we are truly looking at moving on from DCL due to, the diminishing benifits for the loyalty program, for example dropping the extra OBC for this group, only getting the onboard booking credit on one cruise, same itineraries, same shows and acts over and over (John Charles is only one with unique shows), service and friendliness of staff is not the same as prior years, pool hours being shorter (was nice when they were open when we skipped a show), many of the menus haven't changed much since we started cruising DCL, and research we have done has shown that DCL is falling more in line with other cruise lines as far as what they offer. One big annoyance was the last cruise we were on we stayed onboard during port days that we had already stopped at on previous cruises hoping to ride the aquadunk like I had on previous port days and it was closed until the ship left port this last time:(.

The alcohol policy was the tipping point, because of the way DCL handled it, very arrogantly, them thinking they are heads and tails above everyone still. Before our next DCL cruise we will price out celebrity and princess cruises before we go onboard and if they are cheaper we will give them a go. We may still do a placeholder on DCL in case the other lines don't meet our expectations we can get back on DCL. If we find we really like one of the other lines we would dump the placeholder. It is a case of we don't know what we are missing with other lines until we try them.
I vote we all just go over to JimmyV's house. The dude has a wine cellar. Don't know about a pool but I'm willing to bet he has a hose.

I have a thick skin, but don't see the need to call people drunks or too poor to cruise a certain line crosses the line in my opinion. If I read the dis board basics, I am surprised that the mods are not either removing the posts penalizing the posters. Seeing how many new accounts are popping up, maybe that is happening.

I love a good debate where sides are debated and we can walk away disagreeing, that is cool. Just the posts that all they say is go cruise a cheap line or you have bigger issues if you cancel because you can't carry on booze are not adding anything to the discussion, and are just trying to fan the flames IMHO.
Some people are very concrete thinkers. To grasp the subtleties and nuances of all the reasons people could be upset with changes requires critical thinking skills. Now, if someone who was all like, "you are all a bunch of addicts with issues and hate children" really sat down and considered the number of benign cocktails she and her husband had on their last 7 day Disney Cruise, it would be about $570. Most of us feel $570 is a lot of money in a vacation budget, especially if our vacation is relatively soon. There is nothing shocking about an adult having 2-3 drinks a day on vacation. It takes reasoning it out. Reasoning is, of course, boring. It's so much more fun to call names and be shocking.

Oh, I totally disagree. I strip down to my bra and a thong the minute I get on board. I have one of those camel things filled with Sprite and a liter of cheap vodka and I just start running around like a total maniac until I hear the Single Ladies song 'cause THAT'S MY JAM! I'll spend a few minutes grinding on complete strangers and racing around avoiding capture by my husband and the Disney Bummer Patrol. Then I'll take a nap until dinner.

Why not? There isn't a single hotel that I know of that would disallow guests from bringing a bottle of Champagne, for example, into the hotel to enjoy in their room. Why do you think that hotels have ice machines, ice buckets and wine glasses in the room? That is a truly bizarre statement.

If the restaurant (or ship) has a corkage policy, then it both welcomes and anticipates people bringing in their own wine. It is nothing at all like bringing in your own food. They couldn't be more different. Look. If you aren't a wine lover or a wine collector or a wine drinker, that's fine. But don't come here and try to tell others who are following the rules set down by the establishment that they are doing something wrong, untoward, unethical or inappropriate. We don't need or appreciate your sanctimonious inaccuracies.
All really high-end restaurants (particularly in Europe) anticipate guests bringing wine from their own cellar. That's why they have sommeliers and corkage fees and space in the cellar for frequent guests. This is true for resorts and luxury ships as well. Has no one read The Great Gatsby? (clutches pearls)

Funny how those with one opinion are "contributing to the conversation", while those with another opinion are "judgmental" or "trying to fan the flames" or calling people "drunks" or "poor" (still no example of the use of those words).

Similar to how one end of the political spectrum accuses the other end of the political spectrum of being "racist" or "hating."

If you don't want controversy, don't ask a controversial question. Stated another way, don't ask a question if you aren't prepared to receive an answer.

Until this thread, I had no idea how much money people spent on alcohol. I'm glad I have that money to spend on other things. Like someone indicated above, it's a matter of priorities. Some people probably can't understand how I could spend $4,000 on a rifle, $4,500 on a scope, and $2,000 on a suppressor. That's how I want to spend my money. If someone disagrees with it and wants to call me an animal murderer, or a nut, or something worse, I really could not care less.

Move on.

The words drunk and poor were not used but that is what was said. There is more than one way to say anything. Those people are certainly entitled to post and say the policy change will not stop them from cruising Disney. That can be done without the suggestion that anyone who is canceling or changing has big problems or is a cheapskate. I don't call all the people who rave about the free soda obese, sugar addicted, diabetic morons who are poisoning their bodies. And, if Disney removed that perk, I think those people would have a right to complain and rethink if Disney is giving them such a different experience than other lines.

Last edited:
All really high-end restaurants (particularly in Europe) anticipate guests bringing wine from their own cellar. That's why they have sommeliers and corkage fees and space in the cellar for frequent guests. This is true for resorts and luxury ships as well. Has no one read The Great Gatsby? (clutches pearls)

I have read The Great Gatsby, since it was written by Fitzgerald about the place I live and where he lived while writing it. The house he lived in is about 5 minutes away from where I am. As for being contemptuous to other posters, not everybody travels to Europe and has the same experiences you have had. I didn't see people bringing their own bottles, but I wasn't looking when I was in Europe. People are disappointed by this policy and need to vent, I am not since I don't drink a lot and I have never brought alcohol on the ship. I have brought ginger ale on because I was on the WBPC in May 14, I wanted it because I had found out how settling the stomach it was if I felt queasy.

Don't know about a pool
Yeah. One of those too. But we are getting ready to close it for the season...and it is over 90 today! But when the leaves and pine needles start to fall, there is nothing else to do. But I am going to sit back by the pool with a nice bottle of Rose' after I finish baking the season's first apple pie!

Funny how those with one opinion are "contributing to the conversation", while those with another opinion are "judgmental" or "trying to fan the flames" or calling people "drunks" or "poor" (still no example of the use of those words).

Similar to how one end of the political spectrum accuses the other end of the political spectrum of being "racist" or "hating."

If you don't want controversy, don't ask a controversial question. Stated another way, don't ask a question if you aren't prepared to receive an answer.

Until this thread, I had no idea how much money people spent on alcohol. I'm glad I have that money to spend on other things. Like someone indicated above, it's a matter of priorities. Some people probably can't understand how I could spend $4,000 on a rifle, $4,500 on a scope, and $2,000 on a suppressor. That's how I want to spend my money. If someone disagrees with it and wants to call me an animal murderer, or a nut, or something worse, I really could not care less.

Move on.
We are moving on, already researching and planning our 2017 cruise:)

To answer your question the drunk or not well to do enough to cruise DCL was very implied, if you don't think so that is your opinion and we can agree to disagree:)

Actually we are in the same boat as you, we are able to cruise and have some hobbies in life because we don't don't spend a lot on booze or eating out etc. I just tried to set out the reasons we won't be back on DCL and why this was the tipping point. Realistically this shouldn't be the controversial topic it has turned out to be, but I guess if formal night discussions can anything can;)

I actually enjoy this kind of back and forth, used to have discussions at work with someone that moved on from the company, it keeps the middle aged mind sharp lol.

I do totally agree with you on how much people spend on booze and other stuff on board, have stood behind many at guest services groaning about the insane amount of money spent on their many page bill. Thankfully that should never happen to us unless we win the lottery:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter