I really want to know!!! Cancel your cruise because of the new policy.

Would you cancel a DCL cruise because of the new Alcohol carry on policy?

• I have/will cancel my cruise vacation because of the new policy.

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • I will not cancel my cruise vacation because of the new policy.

Votes: 108 41.9%
  • No big deal to me, I don't drink.

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • I drink but don't bring alcohol on board.

Votes: 75 29.1%

• Total voters

MinnesotaMouseketeers

DIS Veteran
Would/did you cancel your DCL cruise because of the new alcohol carry on policy that is taking affect?
I really enjoy my drinks; wine, beer, mixes. But I don't bring any alcohol on board with us.

I've completed seven Disney cruises and only two of them (my two transatlantic cruises) I did bring alcohol on board but very little. I'm not much of a drinker and I don't go on Disney cruises to drink alcohol.

Last edited:
As long as they retain a reasonable wine allowance, no. I would not cancel. But if they cut this back to the "one bottle per person and only on departure day", then yes, I absolutely would. And no, I do not have a problem. Well, not in the way the comment was intended. Vacations are special to us, and we like to drink bottles of fine wine from our cellar that we have saved for special occasions when we go away. And up to this point, DCL was one of the few cruise lines that allowed us to bring enough wine such that we could have one bottle a day with dinner. It is impossible to replicate the quality of wine that we bring on board from wine that the ships keep in stock. I don't fault them for this. It would be irrational for them to buy and cellar that quality of wine. But even if we bought the best of the best that the wine list offers, we would be spending probably in the range of $200-$250 per bottle per night. Would I cancel a cruise over an additional expenditure of $1,750? You bet I would. As long as there are cruise lines that will allow me to bring on 7 bottles of properly cellared wine from my home.

If someone has to cancel a cruise for an alcohol policy gone wild, I think that person has MUCH BIGGER ISSUES!

Or they are cheapskates...

... but cheapskates would probably not go on a Disney cruise because it's super expensive.

In the end, it could only be a matter of money because there are drinks and glasses and bottles of wine available everywhere on that boat!

I will not cancel, but will change how and where I buy drinks. For example In the past I would bring 12oz bottle of rum on board and maybe some minis of vodka. I would buy a beer package on board. The DW and I would each have the drink of day and maybe a drink in the evening if we go to one of the clubs. The drinks from home were for having drinks on the balcony. So now I will bring 12 beers on board and maybe buy some in port. Will not buy the beer package. Will buy less drinks from DCL. A lot of the bars in many of the ports have drink specials.

If you cancel because of the BYOB policy, you are not going to find any cruise line out there that has a better deal.
It is what it is.
Well, whether it's a "better deal" or not, I don't know, but Princess and Holland America do allow you to bring as much wine onboard as you wish. But all bottles over 1 bottle per person (over 21) will be assessed a corkage fee, regardless of where you consume it. And their corkage fees are less than Disney's.

Or they are cheapskates...

... but cheapskates would probably not go on a Disney cruise because it's super expensive.

o_O I'm a cheapskate....and been on a few Disney cruises.

I have brought alcohol on board to save a few bucks, and I'm not ashamed of that.

For me, it is about saving money. I choose to save money on alcohol and spend the saved money on souvenirs, or dinner at Palo instead.
It's not about bringing the alcohol on board to get drunk. It's about budgeting my vacation.

So for maybe what? 50-100 bucks, one would cancel a trip because of booze, I still see an issue here with this...budgeting or not! I'm guessing if your that tight for money in the first place, carnival cruise maybe a better choice for you. Just saying....

If cost is the issue, I would go NCL before Carnival. For that matter I will just not sail Carnival Line period.

AKK

If you cancel because of the BYOB policy, you are not going to find any cruise line out there that has a better deal.
It is what it is.
On Princess I can bring all the wine I need for an entire cruise and pay around $75-$120 in corkage fees. So, yes, there are other options. But not for hard liquor.

So for maybe what? 50-100 bucks, one would cancel a trip because of booze, I still see an issue here with this...budgeting or not! I'm guessing if your that tight for money in the first place, carnival cruise maybe a better choice for you. Just saying....
$50-$100?
If I take a bottle of wine that I paid $100 for, and pay the corkage that Princess charges, ($15), my total sunk cost for that wine is $115. If DCL were to have that bottle on their wine list, (which is highly doubtful), they would sell it to me for $300-$350. So my savings for that one bottle would be $185-$235 if I were to be able to bring it on board. So assume that I am on a 10 day cruise. DCL let's me bring on 4 bottles, (two for me, two for my wife). I can drink those 4 bottles and then have to buy off of Disney's list 6 times. Each time I buy off of their list, I spend $185-$235 more than I would have spent if I were drinking my own wine. That savings, times 6 nights, is $1,100-$1,410. No. I don't think Carnival is a better fit for me because their wine policy isn't even as lenient as DCL's, and saving "50-100 bucks" is not the objective. Just saying...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter