I really want to know!!! Cancel your cruise because of the new policy.

Would you cancel a DCL cruise because of the new Alcohol carry on policy?

• I have/will cancel my cruise vacation because of the new policy.

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • I will not cancel my cruise vacation because of the new policy.

Votes: 108 41.9%
  • No big deal to me, I don't drink.

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • I drink but don't bring alcohol on board.

Votes: 75 29.1%

• Total voters
I must have missed the post where someone called someone else an alcoholic.

I guess you've missed the many, many pithy posts where people say something like "I don't get why getting sloshed on your vacation is so important." I barely even drink and I find those posts rude as heck. The subtext could not be clearer.

I don't go around to the chair-hog threads and say "I don't get why lying in the sun and giving yourself melanoma on your vacation is so important anyway". I don't look for posts on bingo to point out that bingo is still gambling, which some people consider to be a vice. I don't go to the food threads and shame people for being excited about all you can eat shrimp, because gluttony.

Know why? Not my life, and these issues don't affect me, so interjecting my opinion is an exercise in pointless self-absorption. Don't care about the booze policy change? Excellent. Stop clicking the threads.

I guess you've missed the many, many pithy posts where people say something like "I don't get why getting sloshed on your vacation is so important." I barely even drink and I find those posts rude as heck. The subtext could not be clearer.

I don't go around to the chair-hog threads and say "I don't get why lying in the sun and giving yourself melanoma on your vacation is so important anyway". I don't look for posts on bingo to point out that bingo is still gambling, which some people consider to be a vice. I don't go to the food threads and shame people for being excited about all you can eat shrimp, because gluttony.

Know why? Not my life, and these issues don't affect me, so interjecting my opinion is an exercise in pointless self-absorption. Don't care about the booze policy change? Excellent. Stop clicking the threads.

By the same token, those opinions interjected in this thread could be seen as pointless to those who disagree with the opinion.

IT IS AN OPINION! Big deal. Amazes me how people get their panties in a wad about how others are "judging" them (or others), as they see it. It's an exchange of points of view and ideas. Some are going to agree and participate in the complaining, and some aren't. If a thread is going to be started about something controversial, expect some controversy.

It's the internet. Get some thicker skin.

but will allow that same passenger to have 48 beers of 16 ounces each delivered to their cabin waiting for them when they board.

Is this a package deal that i have not heard of? I would be interested. I was one of the guys planning on dragging around beer in my carry on. Yes, i will still bring the 2 six pack limit (2 adults). I still plan on ending my evenings out on the verandah with a few beers. It was/is something i am looking forward to. The fact i now have to go to the bar or pool area each night to carry back my nite cap is not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience.

Update: I found where I can pre order beer to be delivered to room before I arrive. OUCH! :crazy2: $30 per six pack (tax and tip NOT included) Guess that walk to the bar with beer tag will be better option. :tiptoe:

Last edited:
OUCH! :crazy2: $30 per six pack (tax and tip NOT included) Guess that walk to the bar with beer tag will be better option. :tiptoe:

Haha, as I was reading your post prior to this realization, I was thinking to myself, "I wonder how he's going to react when he finds out the cost of having a 6-pack delivered to his cabin."

My wife is a wine drinker and although I'm a beer drinker as well, I was originally planning on bringing something stronger onboard. I'm torn, at the moment, between just bringing 4 bottles of wine for my wife or attempting the role of a pirate smuggler. I'm not too concerned. I plan on waiting to see what happens over the next month and then I'll decide before my Oct 23 embarkation date.

Haha, as I was reading your post prior to this realization, I was thinking to myself, "I wonder how he's going to react when he finds out the cost of having a 6-pack delivered to his cabin."

I am glad you enjoyed that. :-)

I have read about people getting a bucket of beer at the pool. (6 for the price of 5 = $30 tax and tip included) I could then walk it up to the room and place in mini fridge. It's not that the cost is much compared to the overall cruise cost. It's the fact that at $6-7 a beer it is hard to swallow. (15 pack of 16oz domestic at home is $12 plus tax at the store) To each his own. Dinner beer is going to get me as well. Steak and seafood is much better with a cold beer vrs ices tea. lol :drinking:

An explanation isn't owed. I don't question people who go jewelry shopping while on their cruise and buy $2,000 tennis bracelets or $7,000 Rolexes. Nor do I question them when they go on a cruise and leave a $1.5 million house behind, with a $90,000 car in the garage. I don't spend my money on any of those things. By comparison, fine wine is a relatively inexpensive luxury good.

That said, I did a quick check this morning on The Wine Advocate database. TWA is the foremost wine rating and tasting note publication in its field. Looking at Cabernet Sauvignon from the 2012 vintage in California, (the most recent vintage to make it market for the most part), of the wines that fit in that category and which scored 92 points or higher on its 100 point rating scale, the average price of such wines is $215 per bottle, and the median price is $150. There are only 3 (out of 146) wines priced below $50 with the average price of those being $40. Now, to be fair, some of these prices are secondary market (auction) prices as many of these wines have instantly appreciated in value immediately upon release. But if you wanted to go out into the marketplace to buy them, this is what you would have to pay. And if I did a similar search for Bordeaux, the prices would be more than double that. And Red Burgundy?? Don't get me started. $275-$450 is the low-end ante for those. The bottom line is that $100 is not an extraordinary price to pay for a bottle of fine wine. And many, many people buy them. I'm not saying that my cellar is stocked exclusively with such bottles. But that was really the point of my earlier post. At any one time after buying/consuming, I might have 50 or so such bottles that I save for special occasions. Birthdays. Anniversaries. Promotions. And, yes, vacations. Especially cruises, though we usually will bring a few bottles with us when we go to WDW as well. So it is nice to be able to choose a cruise line that allows us to treat a cruise with them as a special occasion and pull the cork on one of our better bottles.

And to its credit, DCL mostly gets this, by still allowing a couple to bring 4 bottles with them. I just wish they made the rule "One bottle per night of the cruise, per cabin" so that a 7 day cruise would mean 7 bottles total for the cabin and a 10 day cruise would mean 10, and a 4 day cruise would mean 4. But as compared to Scotch aficionados, I've got far less to complain about.

P.s.: I was joking.

We are becoming a nation of the chronically offended.

You are absolutely right!! A person who posts their opinion on here, then gets offended when another poster disagrees with them, has much more serious issues going on than DCL changing their policies. I have a news flash for these people, not everyone is going to agree with you. I already know that some people are going to disagree with me on this.

By the same token, those opinions interjected in this thread could be seen as pointless to those who disagree with the opinion.

IT IS AN OPINION! Big deal. Amazes me how people get their panties in a wad about how others are "judging" them (or others), as they see it. It's an exchange of points of view and ideas. Some are going to agree and participate in the complaining, and some aren't. If a thread is going to be started about something controversial, expect some controversy.

Ok.

My "opinion" is that you were being disingenuous when you claimed you didn't know where the "alcoholism"/judgement stuff comes from. People know exactly what they're doing when they make those little comments, no need be coy and hide behind the "it's just my opinion, man", thing.

Bring your opinion, just bring it honestly and back it up with facts. That's pretty much all I ask of anyone online. Otherwise your "opinion" really isn't worth the god-given, inalienable-right status some people like to assign to it.

Just my opinion.

We are becoming a nation of the chronically offended.

I suspect this because, thanks to the Internet, we are becoming a nation of the chronically offensive. This, in turn, is because everyone thinks their opinion, no matter how rude or uniformed, is made out of magic and rainbows.

You are absolutely right!! A person who posts their opinion on here, then gets offended when another poster disagrees with them, has much more serious issues going on than DCL changing their policies. I have a news flash for these people, not everyone is going to agree with you. I already know that some people are going to disagree with me on this.

Agreed, It seems some when other disagree and they cannot support their opinion, immediately decide the other persons opinion is *Judgmental*. Well...of course it is.....what do you expect.....a difference of opinion by definition is *Judgmental*. This is a forum of varying opinions, varying judgments.

Now that said......if your rude or nasty about your pinion , then that is wrong , but having a difference of opinion is not judgmental.

AKK

So for maybe what? 50-100 bucks, one would cancel a trip because of booze, I still see an issue here with this...budgeting or not! I'm guessing if your that tight for money in the first place, carnival cruise maybe a better choice for you. Just saying....

It is called living within your means so that you can afford to cruise multiple times and put a kid thru college! Could we go on board and drop a couple hundred plus on drinks, sure, and We have on a couple of our cruises or sailed concierge. Now is a different story, but in my case I just won't drink, it isn't the end of the world for me. I just enjoy being on the ship and not having to think about real life for the whole time.

I am just sick and tired of posters either saying that those of us that are not happy about the new policy are either too poor to cruise, or drunks that are going to ruin the cruise experience for others. Most of us are just looking at all the perks DCL is taking away while continuing to drive up the price. Some of us are close to the tipping point to jump ship and try another line, will see if we do next year.

I would have voted we drink, we bring it on board but can live with the new policy. What upset me the most was the short notice, if I did care the effective date was past the point where I could have cancelled.

21201079041_0c93c4b3cd_o.jpg

I don't bring alcohol into a hotel, I would not bring alcohol onto the ship. It's like bringing food into a restaurant.

I have a thick skin, but don't see the need to call people drunks or too poor to cruise a certain line crosses the line in my opinion. If I read the dis board basics, I am surprised that the mods are not either removing the posts penalizing the posters. Seeing how many new accounts are popping up, maybe that is happening.

I love a good debate where sides are debated and we can walk away disagreeing, that is cool. Just the posts that all they say is go cruise a cheap line or you have bigger issues if you cancel because you can't carry on booze are not adding anything to the discussion, and are just trying to fan the flames IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter