I just paid $80 for 3 drinks at Trader Sam's!

Does anyone know if they will serve the Nautilus to one person? I understand its a larger drink . . . pour is technically for two. I'm planning on going early pre-opening next Fall and will definitely sip not swill. :-) I've got an ADR for Kona later that evening so can explain that I have in-house dinner plans to "absorb" the booze. I plan on bringing my bestest & nicest persuasive skills to sweet talk the bartender/waiter. Gonna at least give it a good try!

Heck yes! They will be happy to take your money, lol! There were 2 guys sitting across from me and they both ordered their OWN Nautilus. The waiter reminded them it was meant for 2, but they didn't care, they wanted it all to themselves.

I think it is a little misleading to post that you paid these prices for drinks when in fact it was for the drinks AND glassware. The larger drinks - Nautilus and Uh-Oa - are huge pieces. In fact, the latter is meant for four guests. Taking this all into consideration makes it a little easier to swallow.

We went opening week. I don't have a problem with the prices. I do have a problem with not listing the prices on the menu. We mentioned it to the people taking sureys on the way out of the bar. Prices, should be listed so everyone clearly knows what they are paying for.

Lawsuits abound over this issue and with all the litigation Disney has I am surprised they would open themselves up to this.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...ing-drink-prices-on-menu/article/feed/2175208

http://fohboh.com/profiles/blogs/the-case-of-the-11-margarita-is-it-legal-to-withhold-menu-prices

I can only assume, profit margins are so high that it more than covers the legal expense/risk.

This is exactly what we did. We went during the soft opening and spoke with a cast member when we left who had a tablet and asked us to complete a survey regarding our experience at Trader Sam's. We told her that our only issue was that the prices were not listed on the menu. The cast member said that she had heard the same complaint from others that night. I guess it wasn't brought up too much because they did not change the menu to include prices.

Can you get a drink and take it back to your room at another resort? I am staying at the CR in august and wouldn't mind taking the monorail there to get a drink and head back to the room..

I find it odd they don't have drink prices on the menu.............I don't know that I'd order a drink @ WDW without knowing the cost. o_O Would you?

Doug :goofy:

I e never seen a drink menu at Disney with prices. That's what bartenders and servers are for, though, to ask the price before you order.

I'm in SoCal for a dance convention and they are offering parents of attendees a special on their house wine and domestic of beer. Just $7! For house wine and domestic beer.

Drinking while traveling is expensive. I once bought a Blue Moon at DCA before I realized it's a Coors brand. Buy a glass of it at Disney or buy a six pack of it at the store. Issue is that the six pack is at the hotel, not the park where you might suddenly want it. It's all about choices.

This hotel is also selling Haagen Dazs bars for 5.99. Buy a box of three at the store for that or buy one NOW for that. :)

Thanks for that pic!!!! I am still gonna visit with DH,and we can share one of those cutesie drinks with a take home cup.....

They really aren't clear at all about the fact that you can get the drink with or without the glass (except the Pearl).

And I agree..that standard bar menu that is in every lounge at WDW, it does not have drink prices listed. You have to ask what the price is. I guess I'm used to doing that.

The big issue with getting a drink to go is that they have to put it in a plastic container. You won't be let out of the bar drinking from a glass. What they do is that you do not take home the mug you are drinking out of...when you are ready to leave they give you a new, boxed up clean mug to take home. If you want a mug you may be able to ask for a drink in plastic plus a boxed up mug. There's also a bar outside on the patio which likely is a great place to get drinks to go.

I think it is a little misleading to post that you paid these prices for drinks when in fact it was for the drinks AND glassware. The larger drinks - Nautilus and Uh-Oa - are huge pieces. In fact, the latter is meant for four guests. Taking this all into consideration makes it a little easier to swallow.
I am going to disagree with the Uh-oa being for 4 people. Hubby and I split it and I think truly it is meant for 2. You could split it further but that would be a really small drink per-person. The bowl it is served in is not THAT big on the inside. Wish I had known I could order without the souvenir glass...I really have no use for a ceramic tiki bowl and would have liked to save the $$. But naturally the server never mentioned this an option nor did I see it mentioned anywhere on the menu.

I am going to disagree with the Uh-oa being for 4 people. Hubby and I split it and I think truly it is meant for 2. You could split it further but that would be a really small drink per-person. The bowl it is served in is not THAT big on the inside. Wish I had known I could order without the souvenir glass...I really have no use for a ceramic tiki bowl and would have liked to save the $$. But naturally the server never mentioned this an option nor did I see it mentioned anywhere on the menu.

I think they meant that total, because the nautilus is for 2, they totaled 4.....

I think most people either drink it alone or with one other person. The menu of the original one in Disneyland says for 2 or more, but every time I've been there servers say 3-4 and there are four straw holes.

I have been multiple times now, and still excited to go back in Nov! The atmosphere is really special, interactive, and I would say its a show. The CM's have so much fun with it. I havent seen a place like that before.

As for the expensive glasses, you can see without a glass some of those drinks are only $10. I paid more than that for a margarita down the street in my city. And it certainly did not offer that experience. So I am not shocked at all. I will also say I have seen the nautilous, and that thing is near a work of art. These are not plastic glasses (except the pearl). That thing would sell for almost that in a gift shop as a decorative souvenier, minus alcohol. And on the bottom of all the glasses there is a mark saying first edition, etc. so you could argue they are collectible.

I have been to many bar's that don't list the prices on their menu, even restaurants. This is not an uncommon practice. As many other have said too, the prices are not that far off of other drink prices around WDW. When we went, our waitress asked us if we wanted the souvenir glass. We loved Trader Sam's and will probably try to make a stop each time we go back for at least 1 drink.

I don't find these prices that ridiculous, as PPs have noted. They are on par with other drink prices on WDW property, and with the price of drinks at more upscale places around here. As long as I'm getting my money's worth than I'm happy, and it sounds like the atmosphere and drinks are worth the price at Trader Sams. Can't wait to visit!

Where in the poly is this located? Hoping to try it later this year. Thanks!
It's on the lower level next to Captain Cooks. Where the arcade used to be. It can be easy to miss as it is actually just a door. There is also outdoor seating but I don't think you can access it from the inside area - which is quite small btw. I think the sign said seating capacity was somewhere around 50??? You can probably access the outdoor seating area via the patio outside Captain Cooks. There was a also live music out there...and believe me you have not lived until you have seen "Free Bird" performed on ukulele. :D:D:D

We just paid $10 each for drinks in plastic cups at our hotel in Colorado Springs. So, w/o the glass, those prices are fair. We paid a lot more for drinks from the pool bar at the Royal Pacific at Universal and no souvenir glass. I think it's on par with the rest of the industry, maybe cheaper w/o the glass.

It's on the lower level next to Captain Cooks. Where the arcade used to be. It can be easy to miss as it is actually just a door. There is also outdoor seating but I don't think you can access it from the inside area - which is quite small btw. I think the sign said seating capacity was somewhere around 50??? You can probably access the outdoor seating area via the patio outside Captain Cooks. There was a also live music out there...and believe me you have not lived until you have seen "Free Bird" performed on ukulele. :D:D:D

Man, you have just given me something to aim for on my uke:rockband:

Glad I ran across this thread. I made plans with DH to visit Trader Sam's during our upcoming visit in late September. They're our only plans for our arrival day. Did not realize how pricey the drinks were - but that's okay. DH drinks, I want the glasses. Going to need a separate suitcase for these things and other souvenirs.

When asked what we would do with the things when we got home - DH suggested a mini palm tree to be planted in the Uh-OA.

It can be easy to miss as it is actually just a door.

Same at DL.

I have now been to the DL's Trader Sam's, and I have a nice Hippopota-Mai-Tai glass. Our server asked *up front* if I wanted to buy the glass. And when I was done he went back and got me a new one. Double-paper-bagged it; no box. We went back a couple days later and I didn't want the glass to buy. But ordered the same drink, and it was brought in a tall glass. Was not as good! Had a stronger rum taste but weirdly didn't feel like it hit as hard. The first one I had was seriously tasty, though.

Cannot wait to get the pearl at WDW. :)

Reactions: fbb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter