Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

I respect your well thought out position, but disagree with some points. You are talking about how kids today get their reading material/information and I agree that has drastically changed. I think EPCOT could be great exactly for the reasons you state it is dead. Our youth today need to be able to experience things in reality not through google or social media.

How great would it be if they expanded the aquarium in LS to more interactive experiences besides the Rays? My teens/early 20s boys love to watch the manatees. The Wonders of Life could be resurrected and include so many new things we have learned about fitness and the body.

I wouldn't be opposed to another headliner ride or coaster, but IMO EPCOT dropped the ball by talking about energy, climate, etc. stats from, what, 20 years ago?

There have been so many advances in science and technology, this would be the park that Walt saw as the World's Fair.

I'm sure whatever they do will look great.

Just got to see the new Frozen ride last week. Everyone said that would just be a cheap overlay, but, it looked good. I mean, I don't think I would wait 75 minutes for it, but I'm sure once the excitement dies down I'd wait the 30-45 minutes that will probably be the typical wait time.

Epcot's days are numbered. The internet killed Epcot. Corporations would rather spend advertising dollars spamming Facebook than be part of a theme park attraction.

I work in a library. The internet has killed nonfiction as well. If someone wants an answer to a question, they don't look in a book, they ask google. Older adults still use nonfiction, but youth does not bother. We have two year old nonfiction titles that have NEVER circulated and they are on fairy popular topics. The sort of thing one would have had to get on a waiting list for even 15 years ago for a school report.

I repeatedly argue against spending budget on nonfiction.

What is surprising is that people still want to read a novel. Juvenile novels and teen novels are circulating as well as ever. But, the 'how-to' books, the 'everything about' books and so just languish on the shelves because who would read a book when google can give you the answer in moments?

EPCOT was really something, it gave kids a different way to experience science. But, it doesn't have a place today. My parent's paid almost $300 for a used encyclopedia set in the early 80's. Today, my 5 year old daughter uses my smart phone to ask google. Today, you can buy a microscope that you can really see bacteria with for around $200. 3d printing is almost affordable. It's just a whole different world. Epcot has to change, we just no longer need what it provided. If one can afford a Disney vacation, there's a good chance they can afford to go see the real Paris.

I mean, I'll always remember with fondness the school field trips to Epcot. It's just a completely different world.

I don't think rights for twilight zone has ever been a problem at least from what I've seen. Disney execs just want to get gaurdians into the parks and are trying to find the quickest and cheapest ways to do that.

That sounds plausible.

You know this is a legitimate concern for me. If the change this or the innoventions loop then you'll see me angry. I don't care if it is already on my phone if I don't hear the innoventions loop then I might as well not be in Epcot and get the full experience

Fully agree

Side note - we stopped at the restrooms towards the front of Future World and noticed they were playing the music from the old version of Soarin. I made a point of recording it so I had it

I've got several friends with kids same ages as mine who do not plan to go to WDW until SWL opens. They have the means and we are all an 8 hour drive from WDW, so it's not exactly worlds away.

My point is how many other families are thinking the same thing? Not making a trip until SWL opens.

The folks I know have not bothered to take their kids to WDW whatsoever, so when SWL opens this seems like a one and done trip for them.

Perhaps Disney views SWL the same. Nothing more than a single IP that will bring in the one and done guest and never see them again. You have to assume the bean counters are working all the SW consumer analytics to maximize the extraction of funds from those folks when they arrive.

We're going in October, and we're going to go to DHS. My one son is Star Wars obsessed, and I can't not take him to see what's there right now. He'd never let me live it down if he figured it our later in life. And with them having one year before kindergarten, this may be the last trip we do to WDW on our own time, and leisure. And yes, I know we're probably in the minority about going to DHS.

I think there will always be one and done guests no matter what they do. Look at potter for example. Hogsmeade opened and attendance for IOA jumped way up. Then it settled a bit. Diagon alley opens UOR attendance jumps way up, then settles again. When SWL opens it will be the same attendance will jump way up but then likely settle. Since Iger has been in control I'd argue they aren't after the repeat customers they are after the one timers because that's who is going to spend the most. Star Wars is larger than potter though and Disney knows in order for a jump like that they need to do it right just like universal did potter right. If star wars isn't done well they aren't going to have that jump and they aren't going to get as many one timers.

I have not read, or seen one Potter book or movie. I don't really care at all for Potterland. I'm sure there are plenty out there that feel the same about SWL. Both are probably small minorities on each side of the coin.

Actually, even with $800-1000 plane tickets, a week in Paris for two can be similar in cost as a week at WDW, depending on lodging.
I've looked into trips to Paris before. A plane ticket would cost at least $1,000 each way. With even just 2 people that's $4,000 in flights already. I can fly to world in-between $100-$200 each way. My world vacations are often around $3,000 or less. Maybe a bit more if I'm celebrating something like a birthday/Halloween/Christmas.

Just posting this here because I thought it was interesting: I had a dream this morning that they just announced a Captain America land in animal kingdom. Whole board literally caught on fire with rage. All I could think of is "of all the places for a Captain America land, why animal kingdom?"

Here's another thought: what if Guardians flops and doesn't become a popular franchise?

Overlaying a roller coaster with another theme would be pretty easy to do. Let's say Guardians is out of vogue by 2026 and some new franchise called Waffle Eater is the newest thing from Marvel. Waffle Eater is some new guy who isn't covered at Universal.
Waffle Eater - Don't you mean the Waffler? Or is the waffler in the DC universe?
"Alton Brown takes on the guise of the Waffler in order to rid the world of the floppy, soggy travesties found in freezer cases and boxed pancake mixes." Guess it makes as much sense as any of the other rumors we see here ;) (yes I am bored today but your comment reminded me of this episode of Good eats - "The Waffle Truth ")

They were a month off with the shark reef, wonder what the margin of error will be this time of any at all. Of course of all the times when Ellen herself is popular again. At least I have the chance to say goodbye to this if it is in January
Edit: as of right now the comments are actually right! As much as I enjoy the Ellen attraction it's time to move on. Besides I'm afraid of dinosaurs and this ride creeps me out because of it

Makes sense. Doesn't make sense to close another attraction/exhibit at EPCOT until after Christmas crowds. Even though it isn't that popular it will eat people and give one more thing to do for the crazy December crowds.

We personally don't mind the ride and look forward to riding one last time during our Dec trip. I thought I originally read it was closing soon and we wouldn't be able to see it again.

Are there enough old attractions or spare land to have a Marvel land in Epcot over time if they wanted?

May be wrong but I heard though Guardians doesn't come under Universals character deal, they will once they appear in Avengers Infinity War because they will then have a relation to the characters which Universal does have rights to

May be wrong but I heard though Guardians doesn't come under Universals character deal, they will once they appear in Avengers Infinity War because they will then have a relation to the characters which Universal does have rights to
Guardians is free to use if they are in infinity wars or not.

Can I ask my fellow DIS'ers a question. What is with the love for Guardians of the Galaxy? I think it was a good enough flick, but its just another cookie cutter super hero movie. The only character name I can even remember is the tree was named groot or something like that because that's all he could say. Let Universal have that. They can make a roller coaster with a raccoon shaped cars, I want my Disney different and unique. I wish Disney would stick to Disney and stick to what made Disney what it is today.......Imagination.

Now, I do think Disney thinks things through. This next statement is sheer opinion, but..

I feel as though this is a knee jerk reaction to compete with Universal.

I don't see how this pertains to the theme of the park. Universal is cool. I'll admit it. I wouldn't choose it over Disney, but I think it's cool. I choose Disney because the nostalgia and the theming. MK will always have that. DHS, regardless of construction, will always have that; EPCOT has lost it a little. I still love eating around the world and the educational aspect of the park, but don't fully understand how a Sci-Fi will work within a park about the Earth and its ecosystem.

Here's the only way I see it jelling:

Future World West has Soarin', Living with the World, Garden Grill, etc.
Future World East has Spaceship Earth (although I'd argue it's kind of in the middle) Mission space, Test Track and will be home to the new Guardians ride.

Make Future World West all about present day Earth—caring for it, being green, etc. It'll celebrate OUR Earth.
Spaceship Earth will be the anchor. It looks at both the past, present and future.
Future World East will be all about the future: the futuristic cars at Test Track, going to Mars, living in Space (is that what Guardians is about?)

That COULD work.

... Or just make the entire EPCOT park into a giant World Showcase (wishful thinking.)

Regardless - look I know Ellen is nostalgic, but I'm not sad to see it go the way I was upset over Maelstrom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter