Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

Can you just accept that some people here dosage with you? Yes we know the history of this company but they have never had an IP like Star Wars before.

And enough with the Joe Rohde hating we get it you don't like hi but you don't need to keep mentioning it.

I have full confidence that Disney will not reduce budgets or cut corners for Star Wars.

I have full confidence that Disney can build a really good Star Wars lad and that they have the talent and engineering skill to do so.

Do I need to sign it too?
Of course you can disagree...you often do. No problem in that.

And you have it there in black and white.

Now the case goes to the jury. And the facts of the matter are revealed...

Here's another thought: what if Guardians flops and doesn't become a popular franchise?

Overlaying a roller coaster with another theme would be pretty easy to do. Let's say Guardians is out of vogue by 2026 and some new franchise called Waffle Eater is the newest thing from Marvel. Waffle Eater is some new guy who isn't covered at Universal.

Simple--overlay Guardians with Waffle Eater. If it's mostly projections on the inside, it won't be too hard to do. You can take it offline for a much shorter time than you could California's Tower, especially since the building itself probably won't be as ornate.

Star Wars isn't going to go anywhere in terms of popularity. It's been big for 39 years now. The same goes for most of the princess movies. Snow White may not be as popular as Frozen or Little Mermaid, but it's held up very well over 79 years. Toy Story is now 21 years old as a franchise and also is still well-liked.

Will Guardians have the staying power? It's too early to tell. This ride is a perfect one to build because it seems as though it would be easier to just renovate, rather than extensively overhaul, in a short amount of time.

Can you just accept that some people here disagree with you? Yes we know the history of this company but they have never had an IP like Star Wars before.

And enough with the Joe Rohde hating we get it you don't like hi but you don't need to keep mentioning it.

I have full confidence that Disney will not reduce budgets or cut corners for Star Wars.

I have full confidence that Disney can build a really good Star Wars lad and that they have the talent and engineering skill to do so.

Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth honestly

Whatever you say but I'm sticking with my opinion and I know you'll disagree with me but I don't think this has to do with age either.

Don't worry @rteetz. I am old like your friend that you disagree with. However, I happen to be on your side with this discussion. Sage wisdom from someone who has lived it all…from the 1970s up to now. Yes, us old folks always know better. :P

Well, the company that I currently work for I am now entering my 18th year, and I worked at 4 other companies before that. I have made it through multiple layoffs over the years so the company must feel that I display some sort of value in my 40-something age. I now find myself surrounded by young 20-somethings. Although I find myself wise, there are many other attributes in life for which you can gauge your opinion. Oddly enough, I also find that even those half my age can come to rather intelligent conclusions without the benefit of 'wisdom'. Just because someone is older doesn't grant them the benefit of 20/20 foresight due to lengthy past life experience.

There is some of my wisdom for this discussion. :-) Moving forward, I think that Disney is treating this expansion like UNI has treated the Potter acquisition. The Diagon Alley expansion is a tremendous work of art from an immersive experience standpoint. I expect Disney to follow this blueprint, and to surpass it when it comes to the rides (I think that this is where UNI feel a bit short with that expansion). I expect the much touted two signature E-Ticket Star Wars attractions to be exactly that - two spectacular attractions that will not disappoint. Bob Iger, as well as Han Solo himself, both stood on stage and proclaimed how amazing this land will be. It is one thing to make your poor Imagineers look like over-promising buffoons when they stand on stage at D23 and proclaim how great Toy Story Land will be at DHS for example, only to later have its budget slashed to bits (apparently). It is another thing entirely for Harrison Ford and Bob Iger to make a proclamation like that and then produce an entire land that is less than promised. There are other reasons why I feel that this land will be tremendous and will deliver as promised, but being the wise man that I am, I will pass and hope that you trust me on this as I have much wisdom on my side.

Overlaying a roller coaster with another theme would be pretty easy to do. . . This ride is a perfect one to build because it seems as though it would be easier to just renovate, rather than extensively overhaul, in a short amount of time.

I am skeptical. I can't see them just putting a coaster in a big warehouse and throwing up some Guardians of the Galaxy projections. How does a coaster like that differ from Space Mountain or Rock N Roller Coaster? I would think they would do more to differentiate between their coasters.

They can differentiate with the type of roller coaster they place there.

Space Mountain is essentially a Wild Mouse. RnRC is a steel coaster with upside down loops. Both Thunder Mountain and 7DMT are tamer coasters. Everest goes backwards.

My guess is they'll put something that's more along the lines of RnRC there, but it will be radically different, may not go upside down, or may have some other unique feature. Think about Cedar Point and the number of coasters they have there. All of them are different enough to have their share of fans.

Even if the ride does wind up being similar to RnRC, it's at a different park. Usually, people don't go to a particular park just for one ride.

It would be cool if they could do more of a hyper coaster. They could build a big warehouse behind the old wonders of life building next to the parking lot and link them with another building over the back stage road. Maybe have it be like the Mummy ride at Universal, where you slow down or stop for some scenes then rocket out to the back building for some loops or turns.

It would be cool if they could do more of a hyper coaster. They could build a big warehouse behind the old wonders of life building next to the parking lot and link them with another building over the back stage road. Maybe have it be like the Mummy ride at Universal, where you slow down or stop for some scenes then rocket out to the back building for some loops or turns.

Very likely. Having a really fast coaster going through some blurry galaxies would just make another Space Mountain. If Disney plans to use the Guardians of the Galaxy IP, I think a couple of dark ride sections to show-off the characters would be part of that.

I'm sure whatever they do will look great.

Just got to see the new Frozen ride last week. Everyone said that would just be a cheap overlay, but, it looked good. I mean, I don't think I would wait 75 minutes for it, but I'm sure once the excitement dies down I'd wait the 30-45 minutes that will probably be the typical wait time.

Epcot's days are numbered. The internet killed Epcot. Corporations would rather spend advertising dollars spamming Facebook than be part of a theme park attraction.

I work in a library. The internet has killed nonfiction as well. If someone wants an answer to a question, they don't look in a book, they ask google. Older adults still use nonfiction, but youth does not bother. We have two year old nonfiction titles that have NEVER circulated and they are on fairy popular topics. The sort of thing one would have had to get on a waiting list for even 15 years ago for a school report.

I repeatedly argue against spending budget on nonfiction.

What is surprising is that people still want to read a novel. Juvenile novels and teen novels are circulating as well as ever. But, the 'how-to' books, the 'everything about' books and so just languish on the shelves because who would read a book when google can give you the answer in moments?

EPCOT was really something, it gave kids a different way to experience science. But, it doesn't have a place today. My parent's paid almost $300 for a used encyclopedia set in the early 80's. Today, my 5 year old daughter uses my smart phone to ask google. Today, you can buy a microscope that you can really see bacteria with for around $200. 3d printing is almost affordable. It's just a whole different world. Epcot has to change, we just no longer need what it provided. If one can afford a Disney vacation, there's a good chance they can afford to go see the real Paris.

I mean, I'll always remember with fondness the school field trips to Epcot. It's just a completely different world.

Just got to see the new Frozen ride last week. Everyone said that would just be a cheap overlay, but, it looked good. I mean, I don't think I would wait 75 minutes for it, but I'm sure once the excitement dies down I'd wait the 30-45 minutes that will probably be the typical wait time.

Epcot's days are numbered. The internet killed Epcot. Corporations would rather spend advertising dollars spamming Facebook than be part of a theme park attraction.

I work in a library. The internet has killed nonfiction as well. If someone wants an answer to a question, they don't look in a book, they ask google. Older adults still use nonfiction, but youth does not bother. We have two year old nonfiction titles that have NEVER circulated and they are on fairy popular topics. The sort of thing one would have had to get on a waiting list for even 15 years ago for a school report.

What is surprising is that people still want to read a novel. Juvenile novels and teen novels are circulating as well as ever. But, the 'how-to' books, the 'everything about' books and so just languish on the shelves because who would read a book when google can give you the answer in moments?

EPCOT was really something, it gave kids a different way to experience science. But, it doesn't have a place today. My parent's paid almost $300 for a used encyclopedia set in the early 80's. Today, my 5 year old daughter uses my smart phone to ask google. Today, you can buy a microscope that you can really see bacteria with for around $200. 3d printing is almost affordable. It's just a whole different world. Epcot has to change, we just no longer need what it provided. If one can afford a Disney vacation, there's a good chance they can afford to go see the real Paris.

I mean, I'll always remember with fondness the school field trips to Epcot. It's just a completely different world.
I was with you till you said "if one can afford a Disney vacation, there's a good chance they can afford to go see the real Paris." That is definitely not true. Everything else you said was spot on. but this is also why World Showcase still has a place in Epcot.

Can you just accept that some people here disagree with you? Yes we know the history of this company but they have never had an IP like Star Wars before.

I agree with the second bolded line.

On the first bolded line, change "full confidence" to "hope".

The only thing i would have loved for them to do for Star Wars land is make them different at WDW and DLR. Yes, costs would be much higher and i think they would recoup that in people going to visit both. Then whats to say they didn't add another Star Wars land in Paris or Shanghai down the road and for us fans, it would really like visiting different planets for different experiences

With the exception of what someone else said earlier about Paris (way to expensive to budget for me! Thanks airfare) I agree with you on Epcot. Times have changed and while the Epcot "purists" want to cling on and pray for a comeback on several things, it just wouldn't be feasible in today's world. I was born in late 1996 so I don't remember the earlier iterations of older attractions such as living seas, imagination and the land. I was also way too young to remember horizons. But honestly watching old videos of these while they seem really impressive they did seem extremely dated to me, despite the fact that I was being shown the attraction in its respective heyday! I'm not saying it was boring, just saying it was really easy to see how bad it aged. I think they started branding it as a discovery park when I was little and honestly guardians would fit if one were to look at Epcot as "discovery" and not as a showcase of technology and cultures. I don't know what Epcot will be like in the future but I don't think it's going to be as drastically different as MGM's transition. Epcot kind of went through this over a long period of time compared to the, I would assume 5 years the transformation may be at MGM considering the backlot tour was what I consider to be what the park represented

I was with you till you said "if one can afford a Disney vacation, there's a good chance they can afford to go see the real Paris." That is definitely not true. Everything else you said was spot on. but this is also why World Showcase still has a place in Epcot.
Actually, even with $800-1000 plane tickets, a week in Paris for two can be similar in cost as a week at WDW, depending on lodging.

Actually, even with $800-1000 plane tickets, a week in Paris for two can be similar in cost as a week at WDW, depending on lodging.

I agree with danikoski - I firmly believe an average trip to WDW approaches the costs of an equivalent trip to Europe. Airfare costs will be roughly 2-3x the trip to WDW (anywhere from $550-$1000 depending on origin city), but lodging costs and attraction costs will be much lower; you can get a lovely hotel room for well under 150 Euro a night, and restaurants are available to accommodate any budget. Attractions (museums, etc.) will also cost far less than a WDW admission ticket.

I love visiting WDW, but I also take every opportunity I can to encourage people to expand their horizons and visit other parts of the world, too. International travel has never been easier - English is widely spoken everywhere (yes, even in France!), and you'll find that every city worldwide is full of locals who are excited to share their lives with you - just as you would be to a foreign visitor to your own hometown.

If you've thought of traveling internationally, there's no better time than now to follow through: airfares and lodging/dining costs are at historic lows thanks to competition and a strong US dollar!

(Yes, I freely acknowledge that some WDW visitors limit their trips to a few days and stay in minimal-cost accommodations; for those travelers, a European vacation isn't necessarily viable. But if you're flying to WDW and staying at a moderate or higher for five days or longer, I think you'd be surprised at how far an equivalent budget would go in Europe or Asia.)

I did a week in Ireland last fall and am planning a week in Paris (including Disneyland Paris) next spring. I can do Disney World so much cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter