FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

They won't give anything out to the travel agents, etc. until it is ready and they know how it will work. They don't seem close yet.

They started the press blitz in January, all the articles and news stories are listed at the link in my signature. Then everything stopped cold. Something bad happen? Oddly enough in March a full story came out in the DVC magazine, like everything was ready to launch. I think that was an oversight on their part. The story on wdwinfo blog about the magic bands is really the closest to official information I have seen.

I think the DVC magazine goes to press months before publication. Something happened and plans changed and it was too late to change the article or the insert in the current mag for that matter.

One change that happened early this year was the new President of Walt Disney World, George Kalogridis, came on board. I wonder what he saw in demos? I don't think its unreasonable to come to the conclusion that he wasn't happy with what he saw in FastPass+.

I don't know how many people read this article from the wdwinfo blog from Feb. 17, 2013. But Jack Burgin does a nice job looking at the patent information and discussing the implications.

I don't know. This thread and mymagic in general has just sucked out all my enthusiasm, and that's not counting speculation just confirmed fact.

Just the idea of booking fastpasses for counter service, shows etc... Booking rides in advance...

Its not fun to me, and its not magical. Maybe I will finally have to accept that disney is moving more and more towards pushing planning things in advance. I've always felt that even if I did stay offsite and didn't plan, at least they kept me at the back of their minds. "Let's not alienate them too much"

With this... I don't know. It just feels like if you aren't a planner, they don't even have you in their minds at all with this as it stands according to disney themselves. "You can still turn up." Doesn't reassure me that I won't be hurt by this.

Wait and see I guess. I'm not deciding anything concrete till the first park wide tests are run and the rules come out, and we see the effect on lines. If I woke up tomorrow morning to find that they had cancelled this or we changing it, I'd be very happy. Equally, if I woke up and it had been introduce and worked well for those who did want to use it whilst not affecting people who didn't too much.

I will say I've told my family not to book anything yet, and I'm going to start researching contingency plans for a vacation somewhere else next year in case this does go pear shaped or has a rocky launch.

Stay positive. Must stay positive. Perhaps they will have already decided to make changes based on feedback from the tests...

With this... I don't know. It just feels like if you aren't a planner, they don't even have you in their minds at all with this as it stands according to disney themselves. "You can still turn up." Doesn't reassure me that I won't be hurt by this.

Disney appears to be marketing FastPass+ as all things to all people. That's quite a challenge. While I love the idea for me, there are many people who don't want to be over planned.

Disney appears to be marketing FastPass+ as all things to all people. That's quite a challenge. While I love the idea for me, there are many people who don't want to be over planned.

All I saw in that Tom staggs blog article regarding effect on low level or non planners was a quick mention in the post and a reply to a comment both saying how people don't HAVE to use this system and isn't that great? Well yes but it doesn't help me figure out if I'm going to be screwed over by this, does it? If that's the best he can come up with to reassure people who don't want to plan rides in advance, I'm worried frankly.

I don't want that to sound too harsh btw, but if he was supposed to market this to all sides, I think he failed in that regard.

Battery is running low :p so if I vanish till tomorrow that's why!

You..... and everybody else.

You have to understand that not everybody owns DVC and gets to visit Disney with the same frequency as you. For someone who visits frequently, popping in and sampling a few things each day can be very satisfying. For someone who might not get back for a few years, surely you can understand their desire to experience the full variety of attractions Disney has to offer.

I do understand that. And you need to understand they I chose to save my vacation dollars in order to purchase DVC and now I rarely travel anyplace else. Plus, DVC is the least of my travel concerns.... Have you seem airfare prices lately?! But I make WDW travel my priority. For Christmas I ask for an annual pass and for my birthday, I ask for Disney Gift cards. I got an American Express Delta card to get the free 30k miles and other perks. I use my Capital One CC rewards to pay for everything else travel-related. I nickel and dime my way to Disney so that I CAN go several times a year.

If people choose to go once every 5 years and spend their travel dollars and time elsewhere in the interim, so be it. But I guarantee I'll gain more satisfaction from my time at WDW because I do not have to elbow grandmothers at Hollywood Studios' rope drop, I refuse to spend all day in a park, and my AP allows me to walk into Epcot to get breakfast in France and then return to BCV and not go to a park again that day.
If people want to try to do it all in one trip, I wish them the best. But with four theme parks, two water parks, DTD, 20 resorts, 75 restaurants and 130+ attractions, it simply isn't possible. I always tell people: pick a few must-dos each day. From there, do what's available, comfortable and fun. Sounds like FP+ will fit that mantra perfectly.

Regarding Universal vs Disney

And please note that I love both entities. I am not bogged down by the opinion that one can love one but not the other. I find this silly.

Universal:
For a long time, they tried to fill the 'thrill ride' crowd niche. This worked somewhat for them I belive. I have a family that includes 3 teenagers, and while they can appreciate Disney (Yes Michican DVC, I taught them well), right now Universal is their park of choice. But its only been their park of choice in the last 3 years, partly due to HP, partly due to thier age.

But I will say, if there was ANY franchise to hop on board, considering Star Wars, HP, Avatar whatever, I think HP is the big ticket. And Universal beat out Disney on this.

Universal is working with short term goals. They have a very marketable franchise that has everything a bean counter could want. (Ok, i have an active imagination, but I picture a bunch of 30 to 40 year old men in white button down shirts and ties dancing and screaming when Universal won Harry Potter. This franchise is SO marketable.)

Anyways, Universal has carved out thier own niche, but I have to say, they are becoming very wise. HP major attraction that is in IOA right now, is something almost everyone, from small kids 6&7 year olds, to people in their fifties, to grandparents can enjoy. The standby line, if you are into HP, is blow your mind. I could happily wait 45 minutes in the que, and be entertained by the detail. Detail that Disney use to be famous for. And the whole land is really about family. Hmmm. They served Disney notice with this, in my opinion.

Ioa Park attendance 2011 7.7 million, up 29% (ok, all of disney's 4 parks beat this number, but up 29%? thats amazing)
I dont think stats are out for 2012, but I it will be interesting to see.

Once Universal Florida has gringots, I wonder how far up the grid Uni will compare to Disney. And they are becoming a 'destination' that will take more then one night. Look out D

The fact is, they are catching up, a big part of the market share in Orlando.

Universal is for sure working with the 5 to 10 year mindframe. Disney is working with long term plans I would say 10 to 20. Who knows who is right, its a gamble.

But I will say that the HP brand is so simple to market. And as much as I love AVATAR, and I do, this will be very hard to market. Disney Imagineers, and James Cameron, and the bean counters have their work cut out for them. There is no 'kids' market niche that is easily foreseeable (there could be, but based on the first movie, what could they market to 5- 10 year olds. Compare that to HP I know what I would have chosen as a bean counter)

Also, and weirdly, I think you have to consider clothing, and Disney. I watched AVATAR the other day, and before I said in a thread, those aliens were 90% naked. After watching AVATAR again, I want to revise that statistic, and say, those aliens are 99 % naked, and I just dont know how Disney can play this easily. Unless they are all 'dressed' as the military or dream beings, its going to be hard to do.

I hope Disney has something that we dont know up their sleeve. I hope that they are 'refurbishing' both the mk parades and the HS parade, and the AK parade to be interactive with the magic band. I hope muppets and JC are going down to get some RFID technology that will add to the guests experience while participating in these attractions.

I have some hope that the imagineers have worked with the bean counters, and are planning to make so many of us happy, not just Disney bean counters.

That is my hope.

Hey, is Harry Potter wildly successful right now? Absolutely. But will 12 year old girls be reading that 10 years from now? Maybe, maybe not. Granted the series was the biggest ever and will probably have staying power, but I'm not sure it will be AS popular as, let's say, Toy Story ten years from now.

Toy Story 1 came out in 1995. My sister and her now husband basically just met that year. Right now they have a 9 year old, 6 year old, and 4 year old. None of them were even born for the first two movies! Yet who was their favorite growing up? Buzz. Those kids movies are very powerful for marketing the brand.

Potter is essentially for Tweens. I can't be sure that any of my nieces or nephews will read the series. So why then will they go to Universal? I think we're over-glamorizing Harry Potter because the series is still fresh and people still love it. It'll pass and be replaced by something new for the next group of Tweens (like Hunger Games...) Meanwhile, the next generation of parents will pop Toy Story into the DVD player and their kids will fall in love.

I do understand that. And you need to understand they I chose to save my vacation dollars in order to purchase DVC and now I rarely travel anyplace else. Plus, DVC is the least of my travel concerns.... Have you seem airfare prices lately?! But I make WDW travel my priority. For Christmas I ask for an annual pass and for my birthday, I ask for Disney Gift cards. I got an American Express Delta card to get the free 30k miles and other perks. I use my Capital One CC rewards to pay for everything else travel-related. I nickel and dime my way to Disney so that I CAN go several times a year.

If people choose to go once every 5 years and spend their travel dollars and time elsewhere in the interim, so be it. But I guarantee I'll gain more satisfaction from my time at WDW because I do not have to elbow grandmothers at Hollywood Studios' rope drop, I refuse to spend all day in a park, and my AP allows me to walk into Epcot to get breakfast in France and then return to BCV and not go to a park again that day.
If people want to try to do it all in one trip, I wish them the best. But with four theme parks, two water parks, DTD, 20 resorts, 75 restaurants and 130+ attractions, it simply isn't possible. I always tell people: pick a few must-dos each day. From there, do what's available, comfortable and fun. Sounds like FP+ will fit that mantra perfectly.

Fastpass as it is now fits that mantra much better though in my opinion. No limits on amount, equal opportunity, no need to plan in advance, just pick a few must do for each park and do whatever sounds fun along the way, and get a fastpass for as many of these rides as you can.

Now, "Oh, you want to do that ride because its fun? But we have a fastpass for a headline ride over the other side of the park to use in the next hour, and the standby wait for this fun attraction you want is 30-45 minutes, its too close to call. No we can't grab a fastpass for that headliner now with a later return time, the fastpasses were booked up in advance, I picked this time. Sorry. Oh, you wanted to go to DHS and do that fun ride again? But we have fastpasses for Epcot today. What do you mean you don't feel like going to Epcot today? We scheduled this two months ago, how can you change your mind so soon?" ;)

Surely you can see people who like to grab fastpasses when they can and when it suits them on the day will be hugely disadvantaged by this system?

Im off for the night anyway. Later everyone!

Is this supposed to benefit the planners or non-planners?

It seems the planners-meaning us- are not the target audience. No one I've seen has suggested a way the majority of us could come out better.

It isn't for the non-planners. They won't make plans in advance and will have less same day options.

Newbies may think they are benefiting. They won't know better. But, as has been mentioned, I don't think this is enough to entice people who wouldn't have come otherwise. Maybe it'll get them to plan more Disney days but not more New guests.

The only group who benefits is the planners who like to sleep in and want the 1 headliner per day.

This whole thing is about data mining and maximizing resources. They don't expect this to improve the guest experience, and decided the data and resource management is worth any decrease in guest satisfaction. The bet is the Disney name can absorb the hit, and they won't lose a significant customer base.

The above is worse case scenario, and I hope I'm wrong. I hope the new pres put a stop to this, if it were the plan. But based on what I've read, both official info and speculation, it's the only thing that is logical to me.

Wasn't yesterday's kids, today's teens and tomorrow's parents?? Would it not be wise for Disney to find a way to keep these teens in love with Disney?? So that when they become parents in 10 to 15 years that can't wait to bring their children?? Is it really wise to write them off?? They will be the next set of parents and will be taking their children on vacation. What happens if they get a bad taste in their mouth by Disney's new system (but maybe they will love it) or finds so much more to love at Universal? We can all admit that Universal has more to draw in the teens. Isn't something us parents love to do is to share the things we loved with our children. Keeping teens wanting to come to Disney could benefit them for many years to come. Hook them young and KEEP them wanting to come back. Maybe just SOME of this money could have been spent to build something to make them beg their parents to take them to Disney. Why does Disney not seem to want the love of the teens? If anyone could build a thrill ride to beat some of Universal's thrill rides, it would be Disney. They would just need to commit to it!

BTW..I'm not a thrill ride person. Some at Disney are even too much for me! :blush: But I'm sure in a few more years I'm sure, if there isn't anything new, that my DS will want to go for some bigger thrills. I would rather just do Disney but will be heading to Universal when that time comes. I can see nothing in the little we know so far about the new system that would change that.

There just has to be something more. But why won't Disney let us know anything? These concerns we bring up aren't only being talked about here!

They don't expect this to improve the guest experience, and decided the data and resource management is worth any decrease in guest satisfaction. The bet is the Disney name can absorb the hit, and they won't lose a significant customer base.

This my theory also. This has nothing to do with improving anyone's experience. The effect may that some will have improving experiences, some will have worst experiences and some will never know the difference. None of these things are Disney's goals. It will just be what happens. I believe this mainly for the little bit of info Disney has released and the fact they have not tried to relieve the fears that MANY have expressed online. This could be done without painting themselves into a corner. Because as someone liked to point out, Disney can change the rules when they see fit. But they haven't and there has be no new news. There has to be some reason for that.

Does anyone really think Disney is nervous about Universal?! A. They (Univ) can't really expand much more. B. Disney is an empire: toys, Mickey, movies, and the parks. Universal is a hodgepodge of unrelated movie rides and shows. I mean, if you asked for word association and you said the words "Disney World," what first things would come to mind? Mickey, castle, monorail, princess...
Now say "Universal Orlando:" Harry Potter.
That's it. I am not saying that people who go to Universal don't have anything else to go ther efore. I'm sure Universal fans could name 20 rides they love. I'm just saying as a brand, for someone who's thinking of traveling to the Orlando area and wants to go to the parks when they think Universal, what stands out? All they think of is Harry Potter. There's so much more in terms of brand the Disney offers it keeps people coming to their parks.

And either 2011, the Magic Kingdom alone had 17 million visitors. Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure combined had 13 million visitors.

WDW total had 37 million visitors.

I really don't think that Universal and fear of Universal is driving anything the Disney does or is going to do.
Universal is building on Harry Potter and plans on building on more. There is Transformers and Despicable Me for example. It's true that they only have a little land left (there are a few parcels still available) but Disneyland seems to be doing quite well in spite of that same problem.

Also, it's true that Universal is a bit of a hodgepodge but so are the Disney parks. I think that Animal Kingdom is actually the park closest to a consistent theme.

Regarding Universal vs Disney

And please note that I love both entities. I am not bogged down by the opinion that one can love one but not the other. I find this silly.

Universal:
For a long time, they tried to fill the 'thrill ride' crowd niche. This worked somewhat for them I belive. I have a family that includes 3 teenagers, and while they can appreciate Disney (Yes Michican DVC, I taught them well), right now Universal is their park of choice. But its only been their park of choice in the last 3 years, partly due to HP, partly due to thier age.

But I will say, if there was ANY franchise to hop on board, considering Star Wars, HP, Avatar whatever, I think HP is the big ticket. And Universal beat out Disney on this.

Universal is working with short term goals. They have a very marketable franchise that has everything a bean counter could want. (Ok, i have an active imagination, but I picture a bunch of 30 to 40 year old men in white button down shirts and ties dancing and screaming when Universal won Harry Potter. This franchise is SO marketable.)

Anyways, Universal has carved out thier own niche, but I have to say, they are becoming very wise. HP major attraction that is in IOA right now, is something almost everyone, from small kids 6&7 year olds, to people in their fifties, to grandparents can enjoy. The standby line, if you are into HP, is blow your mind. I could happily wait 45 minutes in the que, and be entertained by the detail. Detail that Disney use to be famous for. And the whole land is really about family. Hmmm. They served Disney notice with this, in my opinion.

Ioa Park attendance 2011 7.7 million, up 29% (ok, all of disney's 4 parks beat this number, but up 29%? thats amazing)
I dont think stats are out for 2012, but I it will be interesting to see.

Once Universal Florida has gringots, I wonder how far up the grid Uni will compare to Disney. And they are becoming a 'destination' that will take more then one night. Look out D

The fact is, they are catching up, a big part of the market share in Orlando.

Universal is for sure working with the 5 to 10 year mindframe. Disney is working with long term plans I would say 10 to 20. Who knows who is right, its a gamble.

But I will say that the HP brand is so simple to market. And as much as I love AVATAR, and I do, this will be very hard to market. Disney Imagineers, and James Cameron, and the bean counters have their work cut out for them. There is no 'kids' market niche that is easily foreseeable (there could be, but based on the first movie, what could they market to 5- 10 year olds. Compare that to HP I know what I would have chosen as a bean counter)

Also, and weirdly, I think you have to consider clothing, and Disney. I watched AVATAR the other day, and before I said in a thread, those aliens were 90% naked. After watching AVATAR again, I want to revise that statistic, and say, those aliens are 99 % naked, and I just dont know how Disney can play this easily. Unless they are all 'dressed' as the military or dream beings, its going to be hard to do.

I hope Disney has something that we dont know up their sleeve. I hope that they are 'refurbishing' both the mk parades and the HS parade, and the AK parade to be interactive with the magic band. I hope muppets and JC are going down to get some RFID technology that will add to the guests experience while participating in these attractions.

I have some hope that the imagineers have worked with the bean counters, and are planning to make so many of us happy, not just Disney bean counters.

That is my hope.
Unlike another poster I believe that Harry Potter will have staying power. Besides what kid doesn't like a castle and all involved with it?

Disney could counter with Star Wars. That is another franchise that I believe will have staying power. I'm not so sure about Avatar.

Wasn't yesterday's kids, today's teens and tomorrow's parents?? Would it not be wise for Disney to find a way to keep these teens in love with Disney?? So that when they become parents in 10 to 15 years that can't wait to bring their children?? Is it really wise to write them off?? They will be the next set of parents and will be taking their children on vacation. What happens if they get a bad taste in their mouth by Disney's new system (but maybe they will love it) or finds so much more to love at Universal? We can all admit that Universal has more to draw in the teens. Isn't something us parents love to do is to share the things we loved with our children. Keeping teens wanting to come to Disney could benefit them for many years to come. Hook them young and KEEP them wanting to come back. Maybe just SOME of this money could have been spent to build something to make them beg their parents to take them to Disney. Why does Disney not seem to want the love of the teens? If anyone could build a thrill ride to beat some of Universal's thrill rides, it would be Disney. They would just need to commit to it!

BTW..I'm not a thrill ride person. Some at Disney are even too much for me! :blush: But I'm sure in a few more years I'm sure, if there isn't anything new, that my DS will want to go for some bigger thrills. I would rather just do Disney but will be heading to Universal when that time comes. I can see nothing in the little we know so far about the new system that would change that.

There just has to be something more. But why won't Disney let us know anything? These concerns we bring up aren't only being talked about here!
My teen talked me into going to Universal. He loved WDW but he kept asking why we never tried Universal. Why indeed. I finally relented and that was before the Harry Potter express. I was smitten myself and now I have the problem of having to visit two resorts. :faint:

Unlike another poster I believe that Harry Potter will have staying power. Besides what kid doesn't like a castle and all involved with it?

Disney could counter with Star Wars. That is another franchise that I believe will have staying power. I'm not so sure about Avatar.

My teen talked me into going to Universal. He loved WDW but he kept asking why we never tried Universal. Why indeed. I finally relented and that was before the Harry Potter express. I was smitten myself and now I have the problem of having to visit two resorts. :faint:

I think Star Wars could have even more staying power than Harry Potter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter