FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by PrettyFlower2, Apr 24, 2013.

1. bcrook

bcrook DIS Veteran

This is from the Orlando Sentinel: It discusses the opening of Antarctica at Seaworld yesterday. It is relevant to this discussion. The article tackles some of the same themes. Disney's shrinking share of the Orlando market.

Article

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mom2mickeyfan

mom2mickeyfan DIS Veteran

And besides, isn't true staying power based how good a ride is?? It doesn't matter what a ride it based on if it isn't a good ride. Word of mouth gets around. A great thrill ride or 2 wouldn't need to be based on a great movie franchise to draw in the teens. Word of mouth (text, facebook) would give it the draw that I think any theme park would want!

4. Angel Ariel

Angel Ariel DIS Veteran

Considering Star Wars is already 36 years old (from when Episode IV was originally released), and how popular it is with young kids even now, I think that franchise has already proven it has staying power.

5. mesaboy2

mesaboy2 DIS Veteran

Yes. And with multiple movies back in the pipeline, it will likely only increase in "staying power". HP will likely have it too, though it will always be a younger sibling.

6. Doug7856

Doug7856 DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

I'm personally not excited about Antarctica. It wouldn't motivate me to add a Seaworld day to our trip. My 4 year old may have different thoughts though.

I still find Disney's stubborn refusal to aggressively add attractions puzzling...and the choice of Avatar even more puzzling.

7. bcrook

bcrook DIS Veteran

I will check Antarctica out in a few weeks. But, I don't expect it to be a game changer. But, the fact that SeaWorld is working hard at taking some of the pie is what I found interesting. I will also try Busch Gardens for the first time since the mid 80's. The 14 day pass is too good to pass up. I haven't been to SeaWorld Orlando since 1977. I think it has changed some.

8. jcammans

jcammans Earning My Ears

***Disclaimer***
    I have been reading all of the FP+ posts since the news first hit. I rarely comment but I constantly lurk here on the DIS. I have no inside information. Everything that I am posting below is completely speculative.
    I have a few thoughts that I want to add to this discussion:

1. No where has it been said that you can only get 3 FP+ per day. It's been stated that you can only PRE-BOOK 3, but nobody has said that you absolutely cannot get any more day of.
    What I mean is this: What IF... You could pre-book your 3 (60 days out), and then "pick up" more on that day while you are at the park? With this theory, you would be able to use the MDE app on your device or a kiosk and grab 1 FP. This 1 FP would play by the same rules as the current system where you have an enforced return time and you cannot grab another FP until your window opens again. Theoretically, you could actually be holding 4 FP at a time. (3 pre-booked plus 1 day of)
    Again, this is just speculation and perhaps wishful thinking...

2. Some were talking about Disney making a FP "coveted". Yes, this is definitely what I think Disney wants to do. I could then imagine them making it a package deal add on. Imagine them now selling something like "MYW plus Dining plus Thrills" for resort guests where you would get your base ticket, a dining plan, and then your "thrills" package which would include additional E-ticket FP+?!?!!

I know that I had a lot more thoughts while reading through all of these posts, but I just wanted to throw the first two out there for discussion... Perhaps I'll add some more of my thoughts later.

9. PrincessArlena'sDad

PrincessArlena'sDad DIS Veteran

Now that I posted a pessimist view above, here is an optimistic view.

Why guest experience (for us planners) will be improved:

No matter how this is implemented, there are two constants, ride capacity and attendance (for a given day). I still don't think this will make a significant impact on attendance.

Therefore, for a given ride, demand for fastpass won't change. Except for Toy Story, soaring, and test track, fastpasses last well into the evening on most days. So with the limit of one per attraction, allowing pre trip selection won't increase overall demand. There will be less available same day, but less demand for same day. They should last just as long into the evening.

What about B rides? Same principle applies. Demand for small world won't change. For every person who takes a small world fastpass, that's one less person in the stand by line. When you get into stand by, instead of 100 people in line in front of you, there will only be 30. The other 70 have fastpass. So while the line will move a lot slower, total wait will be the same as demand is the constant. Is stand by for the mountains a longer wait now than before fastpass even though the line moves slower now?

Now here is where us vets will see an advantage with fastpass +. While, now, all fastpasses have value to most, everyone is in competition for the same ones. But, with fastpass +, we will know which ones have little value. With those who don't know better using their limited number of fastpasses (there always was and always be some limit) on lights motor action, that will actually decrease competition for valued fastpasses. Valued fastpasses might actually last longer.

There is one thing that could mess this up. Is the block of people who don't use fastpasses because they think it costs extra or is for VIPs significant? And, if so, will enough of them use fastpass + to mess up everything I just wrote, which depended on constant demand for fastpasses?

I hope this at least gives the silver lining some here said they were looking for.

10. Squidgyness

Squidgyness DIS Veteran

That article on SeaWorld and its expansion was interesting. I was intrigued by the mention of things like butterbeer.

We all know on these boards people are mentioning the declining quality of park goods (I haven't been in four years, so I can't say anything on the matter.) If this is true, doesn't it seem like something Disney ought to tackle especially considering the marketable goods at Harry Potter at Universal?

If a kid comes home to his school saying "wow look what I got at universal!" and shows something like a harry potter wand, other kids are A) Going to want to go to Universal and B) Going to want to spend their money there.

What do people think?

And with regards to the posts above, that's my thinking. Best case, you can get same day fastpasses and doesn't affect standby times, worst case, sold out FP's and longer lines.

However, given that they are adding fastpass to these odd places that didn't have it before like LMA or counter service, I can't help but feel that somewhere the lines will end up being longer than they are now. They can't keep the standby line the same wait time everywhere, surely? That would take some hard managing from Disney.

11. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

edited to delete

12. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

edited to delete

13. Rileygirl

Rileygirl DIS Veteran

edited to delete

14. Doug7856

Doug7856 DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

As usual Rileygirl, you hit the nail on the head. I was a travel agent when the MYW tickets came out and they were brilliant. As a travel agent I used the $5 day logic to up sell extra nights with great success. "Four days at the parks is great, but for the cost of lodging and just $5 per person per day you can really take your time and enjoy your favorite parks and rides for a few extra dollars."

I would not be surprised by a new ticket structure at all. Disney's strategy of MYW tickets + Magical Express really limited Uni's ability to grow. HP's expansion is a true game changer. Personally I believe the infrastructure investments are essential to Disney's long term plans. A new ticket structure may help delay the Potter effect, but I predict it will not have the success that MYW + Magical Express had for years.

Avatar seems like a real misfit for Disney from many perspectives, especially now that Star Wars is part of the Disney family. You could have the moon of Endor at DAK and achieve the same objectives and they don't have to pay anyone for the rights. Lots more merchandise potential with Ewoks than the blue creatures.

15. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

It's admirable that you do what you do to get to the place you love. :thumbsup2

But that doesn't change the reality of what folks have to deal with. Those who only get there once a year aren't necessarily just choosing to spend all that money in other areas. Getting to Disney once a year, or once every 5 years, might just be the reality of their budget.

It really doesn't matter WHY a person is there more or less....... just realize that the time they have there definitely affects their "on the ground" approach to touring the parks. With one child in college, another headed that way next year, and another to take his place the minute he graduates, our own vacation dollars are very limited. If we miss something in the parks, we can't just pop back in a few weeks or months and catch it next time. I WISH I could approach the parks with the same laid-back feel as many posters I see here.

I just wish more people would understand why others might have more of a drive to see and do more on a given trip than perhaps they do themselves. The current fastpass system allows us to do that. And you know what? I haven't had to elbow a single grandmother. FP works GREAT for us. We do what we want at a pace that is perfect for us. But that apparently is changing. And it could change the balance enough for us to say good-bye to Disney.

16. Squidgyness

Squidgyness DIS Veteran

Agree 100%. Also, don't forget the flexi ticket (whilst not marketed as much as it could be) gives 14 days UNLIMITED access to 5 or 6 parks for about $250 I believe. Very attractive, especially to international guests.

Disney briefly had the advantage of 4 themeparks over Universals 1 (Then a year later 2) and Seaworlds 1. They also built two waterparks to keep ahead of expansion in non-disney parks, which worked well imo (I don't use them, but lots do.) No need to go to Wet n' wild etc.

Disney has 4 parks and 2 water parks. With the expansion of theme parks around it, that previous superiority in sheer size, number and diversity of parks has been slowly eroded. (Seaworld = 2 or 3 if discovery cove is counted but thats outside the flexi ticket, US/IOA = 2, Busch gardens if you want to include that, Wet n' wild as another water park). So thats 3 major theme parks for the base ticket (and 4 with a bush gardens upgrade) and two water parks. A lot closer in size and number of parks now, even if not equal.

Disney therefore needs the edge in new attractions and quality of those attractions now more than ever. I don't see any more big ones on the horizon in the next couple of years, unless they are playing their cards close to their chests. (Plus, 1BN investment = limited spending for a while I'd have thought.) Universal has the new HP area, and SeaWorld the new penguin exhibit (which is big for them.)

One interesting thing to note is that in my experience outside these boards, Florida has now become a place to go see "Disney and Harry potter at Universal" or "Harry potter at Universal and Disney", and not just "I'm going to Disneyworld!" "Are you going to Universal as well?" You don't have to ask so much anymore, more people seem to say outright if they are going to Universal.

Subtle, but I think that might indicate a shift in public perception regardless imo. Universal is a lot more prominent these days. It's really come out of WDW's shadow.

17. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

Great post. I think Disney believes the planners love Disney enough to just get over any angst about the new system. And they hope the non-planners will now be enticed into planning and start loving Disney even more.

And yes, I agree with your comment about the late sleepers. In reading one thread after another over the past 6 months or so, I have noticed one constant. The late sleepers are the one group consistently happy about the new system.

18. hollygolitely93

hollygolitely93 DIS Veteran

It is fascinating corporate pricing strategy at its best. While game-changing attractions altering consumer's perception of who the "target" audience is...one factor to add to your story...the Front of the line pass Universal started for resort stays on property. It not only encourages resort stays but it encourages making Universal Parks a two-day visit versus a one-day visit!

Ultimately it is bottom line that matters. So I would imagine Disney has a few options to maintain and grow market share.

1) attract new guests. needs blue ocean strategy to offer something not currently offered. Is this avatar? Star Wars? Both? While also strengthening their main draw...princesses and offering for younger audience (FLE and Carsland?)

2) Increase amount current guests are spending. Price leveraging? Increasing length of stays? Increase amount purchased while in parks through marketing.

3) Increase repeat visits. Bounce backs, enhancing service experience, and strengthening unique points of difference, like princesses.

Obviously a combination of all three strategies would be at play and the interesting thing is how FP+ can be central to all three. Knowing as much about your consumer is the key way corporate giants win in shark infested waters....Disney will certainly know a lot about is with FP+...

19. hollygolitely93

hollygolitely93 DIS Veteran

Yes...and keep in mind the late sleepers are the majority (or rope drop wouldn't work as a low-crowd strategy) ;) Good news is it will still work as those FPs will be the ones all us Rope Droppers take and while late sleepers ride their big attractions we will ride all the little ones they didn't want FPs for :)

20. maiapapaya

maiapapaya Totally DIS-tracted!

A couple of comments & a question ... I'm just trying to catch up on this thread, a daunting task! LOL This whole FP+ thing makes my head spin! :faint:

First, I just wanted to comment on a post from last night:

This is spot on with our household. DD21 is a diehard Potter fan. Would LOVE to go to Universal (fortunately the majority in the family still out rules her!). But DD10 is only a soft HP follower. She's read the first book, seen the first few movies, would probably like to see what Universal has to offer, but if there was a Hunger Games land somewhere she'd be all over it! Then there's DD8. HP scares her. We've attempted a few times to get her to revisit it and she has absolutely no interest. I've never really heard any mention of HP amongst her friends either. But, there is a talking Buzz Lightyear amongst the toys that live on DD8's bed! :)

About FP+, I think eventually, everyone will adapt to the new FP+ and will figure out touring plans accordingly, but the transition phase stresses me, while everyone tries to figure out how it works, the glitches in the system, etc. And we're from Canada, so unless they turbo-boost the wireless in the parks the idea of having to use our phones, with roaming data charges, is a big deterrent! (I don't really relish the idea of standing in line at a kiosk with everyone who is trying to figure out what they're doing & book times if we decide to change or try to acquire something else). We are going to be in WDW for a few days next March. I dread hitting a big test phase while we are there!

I don't remember seeing anything about this in this thread, but I haven't diligently read every post ... when we were at WDW last fall there was some testing going on where pre-selected guests were invited to pre-select times for certain attractions. They got to pick one headliner, a b-attraction and what I would consider a c-attraction, plus a parade or fireworks, I think. When we talk about only being allowed to choose 3 FP's with the new system is this 3 attractions entirely of our choice or will you have to choose from a pre-determined list? Posters talk about Disney directing the less informed to less desirable attractions. Will this just be via "suggestions" or will be limiting what we can choose? (based of course on the limited info & speculation since TPB don't seem too willing to divulge anything else)

21. mom2mickeyfan

mom2mickeyfan DIS Veteran

Disney is almost forcing the late sleepers into the feeding frenzy for a certain number of rides. Only 60 days earlier. If you want a afternoon FP+ for TSM, you best be online the morning it opens up because the consensus among the rope drops is that we ALSO want those afternoon FP+s for TSM. And since many of us are planners, we will be up at whatever time those FP+s open to get the spots that we want. AFter all, isn't that why most of us are there at rope drop, so that we have more choices. Mind you, I don't believe this will be the case for most rides. But certainly true for a select few. What happens when those late sleepers finally log on to find the only FP+s for TSM they can get is 10:30 or earlier. How happy will they be then?? And how much will this affect the crowds for early mornings?