For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 days to go.. Hoping gas prices stay under $4 - the budget was set at $4.10

Gas is such a scam...

Thats awesome. Whats your plan? R u traveling with kids?

We're taking the inland route from Ct leaving at 3 or 3:30 on Saturday morning. It's just me driving with my 2 girls (10 and 13) and maybe one of their friends. DH had surgery this winter so he doesn't have any vacation time left :( so it's just a ladies' road trip. We drive as far as I can safely drive the first day, usually about 12 or 13 hours then stop for the night. We drive the rest of the way the second day. We've done this 3 times before and it usually takes about 19 hours total.

Hi all!

We just booked our trip yesterday (December 1-7 at All Star Sports) and we will be driving down from New York! We are a family of five (30, 28, 3, 2, 1) and will be traveling in our 2013 Dodge Caravan.

I am curious if anyone is familiar with this route!? It is our first time making this trip and we are looking for interesting/fun places along the way. We are allotting 2-3 days of travel time (each way) and are hoping to make the trip as fun as possible with pit stops to look forward to!

As of right now, the only pit stop we have is in Charlotte, NC on the way back to visit friends for two nights. Any and all ideas appreciated! :)

We don't stop anywhere on the way down but definitely go to the beach on the way home. We stopped in Myrtle Beach one year but that is way off track. Last year we went to Daytona. It was gorgeous! We drove down the beach road past all the touristy crowded parts of the beach and then just pulled off on an access road and parked right next to the beach. It always amazes me that the gorgeous beaches down there are free and available to everyone! Not like here in the Northeast.

I also take the inland route instead of going down 95. It's a much less stressful ride and very little traffic. In 2 trips this way we've hit traffic once on the way down and once on the way back. Not bad at all. The only bummer was when we hit stop and go traffic going up a big hill and I drive a standard. A little tiring on my clutch leg!

Everyone leaving before us- have a great trip!!

We're taking the inland route from Ct leaving at 3 or 3:30 on Saturday morning. It's just me driving with my 2 girls (10 and 13) and maybe one of their friends. DH had surgery this winter so he doesn't have any vacation time left :( so it's just a ladies' road trip. We drive as far as I can safely drive the first day, usually about 12 or 13 hours then stop for the night. We drive the rest of the way the second day. We've done this 3 times before and it usually takes about 19 hours total.

We don't stop anywhere on the way down but definitely go to the beach on the way home. We stopped in Myrtle Beach one year but that is way off track. Last year we went to Daytona. It was gorgeous! We drove down the beach road past all the touristy crowded parts of the beach and then just pulled off on an access road and parked right next to the beach. It always amazes me that the gorgeous beaches down there are free and available to everyone! Not like here in the Northeast.

I also take the inland route instead of going down 95. It's a much less stressful ride and very little traffic. In 2 trips this way we've hit traffic once on the way down and once on the way back. Not bad at all. The only bummer was when we hit stop and go traffic going up a big hill and I drive a standard. A little tiring on my clutch leg!

Everyone leaving before us- have a great trip!!

We want to stop at Daytona beach this year too. Any idea exactly where you were? Or should I be able to find it fine?

I don't know exactly where we were but you should be fine. I just followed my GPS to the road that runs along the beach and drove along until I saw a side road that had a free parking spot. We were literally 1 parking spot away from the sand! You can also drive on the beach and park there but I didn't want to risk getting stuck. There was quite a few cars and trucks parked there with the backs open and little canopies, coolers, and grill stuff set up. It's beautiful and not crowded at all like Virginia beach. We only stayed for a few hours then showered off and went to find lunch. There's showers near the entrance to the beach where you park. I'm not sure if there's one at every side road though.

This year I think I might find a hotel for the night so we can stay all day and maybe even go again for a few hours the next day. We go to the waterparks at Disney but it's just not the same as the waves and the ocean!

I don't know exactly where we were but you should be fine. I just followed my GPS to the road that runs along the beach and drove along until I saw a side road that had a free parking spot. We were literally 1 parking spot away from the sand! You can also drive on the beach and park there but I didn't want to risk getting stuck. There was quite a few cars and trucks parked there with the backs open and little canopies, coolers, and grill stuff set up. It's beautiful and not crowded at all like Virginia beach. We only stayed for a few hours then showered off and went to find lunch. There's showers near the entrance to the beach where you park. I'm not sure if there's one at every side road though.

This year I think I might find a hotel for the night so we can stay all day and maybe even go again for a few hours the next day. We go to the waterparks at Disney but it's just not the same as the waves and the ocean!

Thanks that's cool!! :)

We want to stop at Daytona beach this year too. Any idea exactly where you were? Or should I be able to find it fine?
We are stopping at Daytona on the way down as well! Bringing along the boogie boards so the kids can burn off some energy before heading to the rental house!;)

We are stopping at Daytona on the way down as well! Bringing along the boogie boards so the kids can burn off some energy before heading to the rental house!;)

Sounds good!!
My DS already asked if we can bring the boogie boards. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

loveysbydesign said:

You MIGHT be disappointed if you expect waves like the NJ shore. There will be bigger waves than the gulf, but I've never seen really good size waves by Daytona unless a storm is coming through.

You MIGHT be disappointed if you expect waves like the NJ shore. There will be bigger waves than the gulf, but I've never seen really good size waves by Daytona unless a storm is coming through.
They have boogie boarded at Cocoa Beach in the past, are the waves similar?:upsidedow

We go to Daytona every summer...19 days :cool1:...We don't drive on the beach because our first year we almost got stuck and saw many others being pulled out of the sand. We base out of Sun Splash Park. It is a bit south of International Speedway Dr, right next to the big lifeguard headquarters. There is a good size free parking lot and it has a splash pad for kids to play in/parents wash the sand off in.

We go to Daytona every summer...19 days :cool1:...We don't drive on the beach because our first year we almost got stuck and saw many others being pulled out of the sand. We base out of Sun Splash Park. It is a bit south of International Speedway Dr, right next to the big lifeguard headquarters. There is a good size free parking lot and it has a splash pad for kids to play in/parents wash the sand off in.

Sounds good thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

53 days till we start our journey down I95 from PA. Tuned the van up, new plugs and wires inspected the brakes. I will change the oil a few days before we leave. Park tickets purchased dinning reservations made. Getting together our grocery list. We are staying off site 2 nights at the Caribe Royal. Then off to Disneys Old Key West Resort. This is a big change for us. Our home resort with DVC is the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. Kinda having withdraw. lol We love the lodge but it is Disney and I am sure it will be great! :cool1:

abc27.com says that everything reopened Monday night. So you should be good to go straight through without detours this weekend! Can you pick me up at Exit 17?

I didn't see you!!!!! :rotfl:

we are back!!! drove straight thru Saturday, hung out sunday,did some hotel hopping,dtd on sunday.
checked our dd into the college program on Monday and took off for home Tuesday morning at 1:30am. trip 54 in the books!!!

just an f.y.i. .......

she is living where and with who she wanted to live with. :thumbsup2
she will be working in the magic kingdom on outside carts. (ice cream,popcorn,nut etc.... ) she is very excited and ready to start working. she said she would rather be outside then stuck in a building all day. it must be tuff getting up everyday and going to work in the magic kingdom.:lmao:
she has traditions tomorrow and gets her blue card. :thumbsup2

we hit the road again in 3 weeks for a visit!!!!! :cool1:

I didn't see you!!!!! :rotfl:

we are back!!! drove straight thru Saturday, hung out sunday,did some hotel hopping,dtd on sunday.
checked our dd into the college program on Monday and took off for home Tuesday morning at 1:30am. trip 54 in the books!!!

just an f.y.i. .......

she is living where and with who she wanted to live with. :thumbsup2
she will be working in the magic kingdom on outside carts. (ice cream,popcorn,nut etc.... ) she is very excited and ready to start working. she said she would rather be outside then stuck in a building all day. it must be tuff getting up everyday and going to work in the magic kingdom.:lmao:
she has traditions tomorrow and gets her blue card. :thumbsup2

we hit the road again in 3 weeks for a visit!!!!! :cool1:
Congrats to your DD!!! pixiedust:

53 days till we start our journey down I95 from PA. Tuned the van up, new plugs and wires inspected the brakes. I will change the oil a few days before we leave. Park tickets purchased dinning reservations made. Getting together our grocery list. We are staying off site 2 nights at the Caribe Royal. Then off to Disney’s Old Key West Resort. This is a big change for us. Our home resort with DVC is the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. Kinda having withdraw. lol We love the lodge but it is Disney and I am sure it will be great! :cool1:

We are right behind you! Coming from central Jersey...DH is getting rails for the luggage. IDK what they are called.. We traded our suburban earlier this year for a Traverse..so we lost some cargo room :crowded:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter