For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by BC1836, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nono

nono DIS Veteran

No trucks north of exit 105 or so on GSP...so to get to 95 you could either head for the NJ turnpike or the NE extension of the PA turnpike and hook in with I 95 in PA just south of the PHL airport...Not exactly sure what route you were planninf on the northern end.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. yespie

yespie Earning My Ears

Even though I-81 in Pennsylvania is closed at Exit 67 (both directions) for the next few days, you can still travel through the Harrisburg area using a detour. From the north, you will be detoured onto I-83 South to PA-581 West and then rejoin I-81 South at Exit 59. Traffic on I-83 South and PA-581 West is now much heavier than normal, though. So it will take you additional time getting through this area.

Another option is to take the I-83 South detour to I-283 South to the Pennsylvania Turnpike going west. Take the turnpike west to Exit 226 (Route 11) and rejoin I-81 South from there. No tolls on the turnpike between those two exits until Monday May 13th because of the I-81 closure.

4. Momof2

Momof2 Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies.

Nono - I think we'd likely take the Tappan Zee Bridge - never have good luck with the GW Bridge. Not sure the GPS will be helpful in avoiding the GSP, so if we take that route, I need to be careful to have the route well planned on paper.

Yespie - We have looked at the detours you suggest and that might likely be what we do. Traveling on a Sunday, traffic should hopefully be lighter than weekday. Any idea about how much extra time the 83/581 detour would add?

Thanks so much!!

5. NJRRK

NJRRK DIS Veteran

Similar accident happened on I-80 in Morris County NJ about 10 years ago. Only the tanker destroyed a bridge over a small river, took them 5 days to reopen the interstate. I think you should be fine for June.

6. NJRRK

NJRRK DIS Veteran

You could just use I-287 south through NJ. This route avoids the GSP totally and connects with the NJ TPK in Woodbridge, NJ. I bet if you "miss" the GSP connector off I-287 after the Tappan Zee bridge your GPS will recalculate to I-287 south into NJ (I believe the signage says "Morristown").

7. imlsherman

imlsherman Mouseketeer

If you go over the Tappen Zee bridge i287 south is exit 15 which is two exits after the GSP. Good luck and safe drive.

8. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

We did a 7,500 mile road trip in '77, but we spent 6 weeks on it :)

9. BC1836

BC1836 DIS Veteran

Now THAT's what we call a long and relaxing journey!

All the best. :thumbsup2

10. dvczerfs

dvczerfs DIS Veteran

this coming sat. we will be hitting the road again!!!!!!!!!!!

I was looking at page one, looks like by new years eve this year, I will have my name on a few other records,

57 total drives

tie at 4 drives in a calendar year

tie at 5 drives in a 12 month period

(ill let you keep most total straight through drives bc)

if anyone is going down this weekend, june 15-23, September 14-22 or December 19-28, let me know if you want to meet up for a hang shake and a picture!!!!!

11. BC1836

BC1836 DIS Veteran

Indeed, your next drive will be one for the record books! [Once it happens, alert me and I will update the all-time records.] We have three more 2013 WDW trips ahead of us and, alas, we will not cross paths with you except arriving and departing on one of those days. Until then...

12. chipper10

chipper10 Disney Obsessed

On our way home to IL now. We just got into GA and it looks like we will hit Atlanta during rush hour. Typically we drive straight though. Would it be best to drive around instead? I hate to get stuck for a long time with the kids. They have both already been pretty fussy for the ride home

13. dvczerfs

dvczerfs DIS Veteran

any update on the bridge? we will be heading that way on sat. morning, hitting Harrisburg around 4-4:30am. im guessing there is a posted detour and at that time of day the traffic shouldn't be to bad.

14. pwdebbie

pwdebbie DIS Veteran

abc27.com says that everything reopened Monday night. So you should be good to go straight through without detours this weekend! Can you pick me up at Exit 17?

15. dvczerfs

dvczerfs DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 thank you!!! we can do that, just stand under the exit ramp sign and you can jump in. ill have you back by Tuesday at 5pm.
    just taking dd down for the college program, hanging out for a day or two then heading home.

16. BC1836

BC1836 DIS Veteran

Local gas price for regular up 12-cents in just over a week. :confused3

17. ddluvsdisney

ddluvsdisney DIS Veteran

I know!! And I don't think they'll be going down before we leave June 29. :(

18. letthewookiewin

letthewookiewin <font color=blue>"That's 'cause droids don't pull

I just hope they don't keep going up between now and when we leave for our trip on September 6th.

19. goofyfigment

goofyfigment DIS Veteran

We are leaving on June 22nd hoping prices go down soon

20. blondietink

blondietink DIS Veteran

Ours have never gone down .... oops I take that back ..... went down 2 cents this week to $3.77/gal. Wish I didn't live in NYS, that's for sure!

21. loveysbydesign

loveysbydesign I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream

We're heading down 6/20, our anniversary is the 22nd....hoping to be at MK that day!:goodvibes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.