For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two I've stayed at with my border collie: Hampton Inn, Emporia, VA (too far north for you, at least on the way down...) And, in the northern part of GA, the Hampton Inn-Savannah-I-95 North, which is at Exit 109. HTH!

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I hit a similar closure driving through Delaware in February - we did not move at all for 2-3 hours. Those of you headed down/home next weekend need to avoid this at all costs, trust me!

DELAWARE TRAFFIC ALERT - Ramp Closure along Northbound I-95 (Exit 8) onto Northbound U.S. Route 202

Wilmington -- The Department of Transportation (DelDOT) is advising the traveling public that roadwork required for the I-95/U.S. Route 202 Interchange Project will require the closure of the northbound I-95 Exit 8 ramp to northbound U.S. Route 202. The closure will be in effect from 8:00 P.M. Friday, May 31, until mid- afternoon Sunday, June 02.
The closure is required for contractor Mumford and Miller to pour concrete for the remaining portion of the bridge deck for the new bridge over Route 202. This pour will require a 36-hour curing time before the bridge can be reopened to traffic.
I-95 Northbound Exit 8 Detour Information:
All traffic on northbound I-95 destined for northbound U.S. Route 202 will be detoured to the Exit 8 ramp to southbound Route 202. At the bottom of the ramp traffic will be directed to make a left onto northbound U.S. Route 202.
Variable message boards will be placed to notify motorists of the upcoming closures. This closure is pending weather conditions, and will be postponed to the following weekend, if required.

-Source: http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=4773

I've driven from CT 3 times now. We leave at 3 or 3:30 a.m. from shoreline CT and take the inland route through PA. It takes about 19 hours total. We took 95 the first year and it took about 21 hours total. We stop once for the night. The inland route has a lot less traffic and is a much less stressful drive.
How does it save that much time? I am just trying to figure it out... I really think we will have to try it this time.

Maryland House on 95 is closed for renovations.
:sad: I guess I'll need a new plan .....thanks for the info :thumbsup2
i just noticed your sig. :sad1: very nice tribute to a very nice lady.

briana never got a chance to meet her but we will always think of her when we are in liberty square in the mk.
She was amazing :flower3: My girls never met her, but they've exchanged "stickers" (the DIS emoticons) and texts..plus she would always send my DDs postcards from GF. Great to "meet" a friend of JungleCruiser :littleangel:

just got the text!!! official cast member of the walt Disney company!!! QUOTE]

Very cool, indeed!

Although WDW is the largest single-site employee biz in the nation, we are sure that she will be easy to locate! :rotfl:

All the best! :thumbsup2

She was amazing :flower3: My girls never met her, but they've exchanged "stickers" (the DIS emoticons) and texts..plus she would always send my DDs postcards from GF. Great to "meet" a friend of JungleCruiser :littleangel:

You knew JungleCruiser, too? We knew her for many years, since the mid-1990s. She was special...and particularly courageous.

All the best. :thumbsup2

BC1836 said:
You knew JungleCruiser, too? We knew her for many years, since the mid-1990s. She was special...and particularly courageous.

All the best. :thumbsup2

I had the pleasure of meeting her on the gf thread..then the rc thread. Since she lived nearby..I was fortunate to meet her for real...she was very courageous and her positive nature quite inspiring. I'm blessed to have known her :) she also shared driving to wdw tips :)

How does it save that much time? I am just trying to figure it out... I really think we will have to try it this time.

I had AAA make me triptiks for the inland route and for 95. They said that the inland route will take longer but it hasn't. I think it's because we avoid all the traffic on 95. Even if it did take longer I would go that way because it is much less stressful- less cars on the road and less people trying to get somewhere before they left!

long story short, my wife a few years ago had a tumor on her optic nerve. i also lost my parents when i was 16 and 17 years old both to cancer. i lost a brother at 42 to cancer. when i posted about my wife, i got this pm one day from a lady named sarah.teeling me to keep my head up. i don't have to tell you the rest. we met at the mk one day, we sat with her and her husband for a good hour over by the hall of pres. also met her daughter. what great people. its was like ive known them my entire life. i just wanted to add, my wife is doing fine. they radiated her tumor and it is gone. she did loose her vision in her left eye but she was very lucky.

just got the text!!! official cast member of the walt Disney company!!! QUOTE]

Very cool, indeed!

Although WDW is the largest single-site employee biz in the nation, we are sure that she will be easy to locate! :rotfl:

All the best! :thumbsup2
bc!!! pm me the next time your heading down and i can give you an idea where and when to find her. :thumbsup2

long story short, my wife a few years ago had a tumor on her optic nerve. i also lost my parents when i was 16 and 17 years old both to cancer. i lost a brother at 42 to cancer. when i posted about my wife, i got this pm one day from a lady named sarah.teeling me to keep my head up. i don't have to tell you the rest. we met at the mk one day, we sat with her and her husband for a good hour over by the hall of pres. also met her daughter. what great people. its was like ive known them my entire life. i just wanted to add, my wife is doing fine. they radiated her tumor and it is gone. she did loose her vision in her left eye but she was very lucky.

Bless both you and your wife pixiedust: SO happy to hear yor wife is well! She was certainly amazing! Her husband and daughters are just as sweet ,which is no surprise. Sarah's appreciation and love for each and every day truly inspires me. Sorry for your loss of your parents and your brother.

In trip related news, has anyone had experience with roof racks? My DH is getting one of those containers ad rails installed on our SUV, but he's concerned about their stability...He doesn't want to drive 70MPH and have anything fly off :crazy2:

Bless both you and your wife pixiedust: SO happy to hear yor wife is well! She was certainly amazing! Her husband and daughters are just as sweet ,which is no surprise. Sarah's appreciation and love for each and every day truly inspires me. Sorry for your loss of your parents and your brother.

In trip related news, has anyone had experience with roof racks? My DH is getting one of those containers ad rails installed on our SUV, but he's concerned about their stability...He doesn't want to drive 70MPH and have anything fly off :crazy2:

In April we got one from Sears (xcargo) for our SUV. It was awesome!!

In April we got one from Sears (xcargo) for our SUV. It was awesome!!

I'm curious how something like that affects gas mileage? And can you feel a significant difference when driving, especially during heavy winds?

I'm curious how something like that affects gas mileage? And can you feel a significant difference when driving, especially during heavy winds?

I don't think it really affected the gas mileage. It was noisier, and you felt the wind if windy. Other than that it worked fine. :)

I highly recommend it.

I used a rood top carrier only one time and it was in 1987.:rotfl2:

I rented it from U-Haul. it was a square, alum. box type. :rotfl2:

strapped that bad boy on top of the Pontiac sunbird and held on for dear life.:lmao: every time a truck would pass you would get blown off the road.im sure there a lot better today.

over the years, we just have been packing less and we also have an owners locker that we keep a lot of stuff there. now its just the two of us, one big bag, one small bag and a few pillows. :lmao:

pas130 said:

I have a roofbag that I throw in top of my car. It doesn't make noise or slow me down. No stability issues at all, goin 80+ mph.

Hope all of you that are going soon are safe and have awesome trips! We are still 151 days out :sad: But, I am going to live through you for at least the next 144 of it! LOL That last week is too busy to worry! dvczerfs...I would love to look for your daughter there and tell her about how her dad "got us to Disney" much quicker (route-wise) than we went before! LOL

We had to drive last year as a last minute decision because Sandy cancelled our flights. We had talked about it in the past but did it out of necessity then. It was not that bad and this year we got a new car and will be making the drive this fall because...well airfare for 5 people is ridiculous!! It will cost us about 1/4 the price to drive including food along the way. And, that's not counting parking the car at the airport, baggage fees...probably more like 1/5 the cost! So, no brainer! Just need the summer to fly and get me there! We are doing it a bit differently than most...just for personal preferences. We will grab the kids from school and be on the road at 2:00pm when we go. I know it's not the norm like I said. But, DH works nights and is most awake then. So, when we leave, he will be freshly slept and I will drive the first bit, then again in the evening. But, when he is used to being awake in the middle of the night, he will be driving. Last year we left at 4:00am and it was actually hard for him because he is used to sleeping then. So, hoping this year is better :thumbsup2 We are hoping to arrive about 7:00 am. Quick nap and relax at resort for the day :) I even booked us for the day before so we can get right into our room. Spoke to the resort directly and they said just to call on the way and let them know we are on the road and a later check in! So, all set and nothing to do for 4 1/2 months! LOL

Regarding the roof carrier...we too are getting one for the trip. From what I have read, it won't effect the gas mileage...they are supposed to be aerodynamic!! Who knew?! Here's to hoping that's true!!

Hope all of you that are going soon are safe and have awesome trips! We are still 151 days out :sad: But, I am going to live through you for at least the next 144 of it! LOL That last week is too busy to worry! dvczerfs...I would love to look for your daughter there and tell her about how her dad "got us to Disney" much quicker (route-wise) than we went before! LOL

We had to drive last year as a last minute decision because Sandy cancelled our flights. We had talked about it in the past but did it out of necessity then. It was not that bad and this year we got a new car and will be making the drive this fall because...well airfare for 5 people is ridiculous!! It will cost us about 1/4 the price to drive including food along the way. And, that's not counting parking the car at the airport, baggage fees...probably more like 1/5 the cost! So, no brainer! Just need the summer to fly and get me there! We are doing it a bit differently than most...just for personal preferences. We will grab the kids from school and be on the road at 2:00pm when we go. I know it's not the norm like I said. But, DH works nights and is most awake then. So, when we leave, he will be freshly slept and I will drive the first bit, then again in the evening. But, when he is used to being awake in the middle of the night, he will be driving. Last year we left at 4:00am and it was actually hard for him because he is used to sleeping then. So, hoping this year is better :thumbsup2 We are hoping to arrive about 7:00 am. Quick nap and relax at resort for the day :) I even booked us for the day before so we can get right into our room. Spoke to the resort directly and they said just to call on the way and let them know we are on the road and a later check in! So, all set and nothing to do for 4 1/2 months! LOL

Regarding the roof carrier...we too are getting one for the trip. From what I have read, it won't effect the gas mileage...they are supposed to be aerodynamic!! Who knew?! Here's to hoping that's true!!

she works in the magic kingdom on the outside carts. (pop corn, ice cream)
:thumbsup2
her first day of work in the park was a 4-11 shift. if you walk down main street toward the castle, she was at the pop corn cart on the right in the hub. its hard to find her, they can be at any cart in the mk. she has five different costumes that she wears.

she works in the magic kingdom on the outside carts. (pop corn, ice cream)
:thumbsup2
her first day of work in the park was a 4-11 shift. if you walk down main street toward the castle, she was at the pop corn cart on the right in the hub. its hard to find her, they can be at any cart in the mk. she has five different costumes that she wears.

I'll be looking for "NCC" on the nametag!!!! It's far away...but if and when I see her, I will be sure to let you know!!

We did our 3rd 2000+ miler last month (NH to FL and back).

Overall it was a good trip, but we are strongly leaning towards flying next year.

On the way down we left in the afternoon and made it to around exit 5 on the Jersey Turnpike (going via I-84 to Tappan Zee to the Garden State to the Turnpike). Day 2 took us to Florence, SC. We lost about 2 hours near Quantico VA due to the road being closed because of a fatality. Evidently somebody stopped their car near mile marker 149 and just stepped in front of a moving 18-wheeler :scared1: Day 3 easily took us from Florence to Titusville FL where we planned on staying overnight for a KSC trip. We witnessed another horrible accident in Daytona, also with fatalities :( Evidently a van lost control and hit the underpass of LPGA Blvd in Daytona, killing 3 occupants.

The trip home was pretty uneventful and we did it in two very long days. A couple of lowlights of this leg of the journey consisted of a speeding ticket in Darien GA (be careful of this place, it's a ticket mill!), and delays getting onto the GW bridge (figured at 10PM we'd be clear on the GW).

While flying is more expensive, it is much faster, and witnessing all of these accidents is really sobering :( I'm hoping that flying can translate into a few more days in FL.

Wondering about gas prices on the way down. Does anyone who just returned have any gas prices from any of the states?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter