cheapest or weirdest thing you have ever seen in disney restaurant or food court.

Debated on whether to share this with you all or not, but hey we are all fellow DISers here right? Might shed some light on some of the previous stories.

Up until our previous two trips to WDW, on which we were able to do the Dining Plan and stay onsite at the POP, the previous 4 trips were low budget trips, we just couldn't afford to go all out, but by careful budgeting and such, were able to make the trips (my wife, two kids and myself), the last one we were even able to take my mom eight years before she passed away.
The only way we could afford to go was either borrowing a camper from friends and camping on the way down and while in Orlando. The second time we borrowed a large tent. The last two we were able to "upgrade" and stay at Kamping Kabins at KOA's. No way could we eat onsite! We would pack a cooler with lunch foods, kept in the car or back at the campsite, leaving the park at lunch, coming back after cooking supper at the campsite. Not only could we not afford to eat onsite, we one time splurged and shared a Dole Whip between the four of us! What a treat it was! And yes, we had a great time! We all remember those trips and the great time that we had. I won't have traded those trips and their memories for anything and neither would my wife or kids, who are now young adults.

As I said earlier, now we can afford to go all out, even though that is a little stretch, but using part of the inheritance from my mom's small estate, we have been able to go "whole hog" as we would say back home where I grew up. And have had a great time doing it this way as well, the last time both of our kids as young adults went with us!

While some people's behavior in cheating the system is not right. Those who either chose to go "economy" when it comes to food, either because that is the only way they can do WDW or because of their own choice, may seem odd, and yes, sometimes not so wise health wise, who are we to make judgments?

Thanks for letting me share my own story. Next year when we go again, we'll all get our own "Dole Whip!" Now, that is as close to heaven that we are going to get here on earth!!! :cool1:

My husband does this at sit down restaurants. He has to have a caffien free and sugar free drink and most restaurants don't have these. He does ask to see if they have a drink he can order, if not it's a glass of water with crystal light. Occasionally the servers are annoyed.

For anyone else who may have this problem, you'll be happy to know that in part thanks to a campaign launched by my mom, the food court at Port Orleans, (I think) the food court at Beach Club, and Beaches and Cream now all have caffeine-free Diet Coke. She can't have caffeine because of a cystic condition and so, after asking for a caffeine-free diet soda at every meal, even knowing they didn't have one, and many letters written, the above places decided to start carrying it.

Oh, and I should note that when you need to order a c-f Diet Coke at Beaches and Cream, if they look at you like you're insane, you might mention to them that it could be in the back, and that it's often either in cans or the 20-oz. bottles. Every time I've been there with her and she's ordered one, they've never been anything but incredibly nice about accomodating her. :)

Not sure I'd want to eat fast Foot either ;) but I sure have to agree with you about the Pepsi thing....Coke is not my favorite. (and Lunapnp, please don't think I'm picking on you...its just the mental image that particular typo left with me....I wish my own typos were that entertaining.)

But they are, because I sure wouldn't want to eat fast foot.

come on old timers who saw the corn people??

There used to be a very old thread about people eating canned corn on the steps of city hall. The corn people thread was amazing. I didn't personally witness this but it would have been a hoot for me.

I remember the Canned Corn Thread and Canned Corn Con some Disfolks put together. There were even photos of the event. Searched and couldn't find the original thread. Someone out there has to have it archived.

If I had to drag around a huge cooler with my lunch, dinner, snacks, and drinks in it to save a few bucks, I wouldn't even go on the vacation! I'm not sure if it was last August or the July before, but I remember seeing one family CARRYING their huge cooler around MK...it wasn't even the wheeled type. Talk about no fun.

:confused: I guess when you have less it takes less to have fun. WDW with a cooler packed behind you, a warm egg sandwich, pb&j, or baked potato is better than no WDW at all for some. I'm using this thread in reverse and getting some money saving ideas for future trips. I am not as cheap as that one family though with the small ice cream. I could see getting several dole whips to share.

Speaking of sharing food....

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon at Dinsey, we saw an older man and woman at the CBR foodcourt. They had one burger, one order of fries, and one Coke. (I call it a Coke...in the south, every softdrink is a Coke.) We noticed that he was the only one eating however. My wife, being the generous type, went over to them and offered to buy them an extra meal. The older woman said, "no thank you, we share everything." After watching a few more minutes, we noticed that he was eating the fries but she still had nothing to eat. We offered again to buy them an extra meal but the lady swore to us that they always share everything and didn't need any more food. Well, after we finished our meal, we couldn't take it any longer. This poor old lady still had not had a bite of food. My wife asked her why she wasn't eating anything. She said, "Honey, I told you, we share everything." "Why aren't you eating then?" She replied.."I'm waiting on the teeth!!!":rotfl2:

:dance3: Gotcha:dance3:

The last time I went to Disney (Jan 06), I went with three Orthodox Jews. I'm not Orthodox myself but I didn't care about joining their dietary restrictions for the week.

There are Kosher meals available but they taste gross and are pretty expensive- we had one on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour during our 7 day trip.

Instead we had breakfast in the room, brought sandwiches and snacks to munch on during the day and then ate again when we got back to the room. We supplimented with ice cream.

We would each eat when we got hungry instead of waiting for the entire group to want to eat. Not only was it the cheapest way to go for us four college students BUT we saved a ton of time never stopping to eat! Definitely a great trip.

Next trip is with DBF and we are eating 3 meals a day :rotfl:

Seems like there's a distinction between what's funny/weird/but ok, and behavior that's NOT ok. The buffet mom-daughter swap at Boma was a blatant rip off and not ok...unless the whole family did indeed pay, and perhaps they were trading off to watch a loud baby or unruly toddler who would not behave in the restaurant. When my oldest son was an infant he was very colicky and it was unpredictable. DH and I went out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, and DS was good and quiet and sleeping -- until our dinner came to the table, then he began fussing, loudly. Not wanting to disturb the other diners, I left DH at the table to eat, and took the baby outside to see if I could calm him. I tried everything I could think of for 15-20 minutes, then he finally seemed to settle. As soon as I went back inside to eat, he started fussing again, so DH told me to try to get something to eat, and he'd take the baby out and try to quiet him. About 15 minutes later, he came back in, and the baby was quiet for about 5 minutes, then started getting noisy again. We finally gave up and had the waiter pack up our food. So....it probably may have looked weird to other diners, but at least there was a reasonable explanation. Things aren't always what they seem. Of course, seeing people stuffing free condiments into purses, or making meals to go for later at buffets, or dads who think they are the only ones who warrant a purchased meal while their family watches them eat and salivates wistfully...well, pretty hard to mis-interpret that, I guess :rotfl2:

As far as folks taking food into the parks -- hey, if Disney doesn't care enough to stop them, why should I care? Doesn't hurt me a bit if another family brings in PB&J sandwiches. I've made tons of trips over the years to DL on a tight budget with my family. I've never taken sandwiches in, but when the boys were little, we used to give them small Ziploc sandwich bags to carry in their pockets with trail mix and beef jerky, sort of like hiking snacks, to get them through the day until we were ready to leave the property for the evening to sit down to a meal we could afford.

It is a little eeky to read about people eating unrefrigerated food that definitely needed refrigeration like egg salad :eek: :scared: :crazy2: or the sharp pointy knife that made it past security somehow? :scared1: Some of the other stuff...a whole baked potato? Cold hot dogs dipped in mayo? Everyone has different tastes, I guess...:laughing:

DS was 7 last trip to Disney - he's lactose intolerant and we forgo his tabs that day. He went ballistic and wanted ice cream .... and I couldn't get it for him. I offered to get him lots of non dairy treats - but he wouldn't go for them - so I told him - then do without. The rest of us had treats and he decided he would share his brothers. A casual passerby might think I was being mean and not buying him anything but .......

at that trip he also had braces / retainer and other stuff going on and some things were off limits. As much as we review with him before we go - what he can have and not have .... once they get tired and overstimulated - it doesn't much matter.

I do think it's really wrong to steal food from the buffet - although maybe buffets work differently in other cultures. Maybe that's the norm where they are from ?

One of the strangest I saw was a teen going in the exit of Club Cool (or maybe it was Ice Station Cool still) and filling up her refillable mug from a resort.
At food courts I have seen people use about any container imagineable, and ancient, for free refills.
I have seen salads made at the fixin' bars. (Which would explain why those have been slowly disappearing.)
I see coolers in the park. Not as many as you might expect. Disney does have a cooler policy. The cooler has to be able to fit inside a locker.
If I were in MK on a major holiday (like NYE) even I would yake my own food. The lines are horrendous.
I have seen people say they spilled their popcorn bucket to get free refills -- and even send their kids up to do it.
I have seen guests argue several minutes over small amounts. (Well last year I paid this and got this...) Life is too short and so is the vacation to spend half an hour arguing over a buck just to try and get a lower price than what is posted.
I have seen a bird hover, plop down and grab a hotdog (leaving the bun behind) in a guest's hands.

Speaking of sharing food....

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon at Dinsey, we saw an older man and woman at the CBR foodcourt. They had one burger, one order of fries, and one Coke. (I call it a Coke...in the south, every softdrink is a Coke.) We noticed that he was the only one eating however. My wife, being the generous type, went over to them and offered to buy them an extra meal. The older woman said, "no thank you, we share everything." After watching a few more minutes, we noticed that he was eating the fries but she still had nothing to eat. We offered again to buy them an extra meal but the lady swore to us that they always share everything and didn't need any more food. Well, after we finished our meal, we couldn't take it any longer. This poor old lady still had not had a bite of food. My wife asked her why she wasn't eating anything. She said, "Honey, I told you, we share everything." "Why aren't you eating then?" She replied.."I'm waiting on the teeth!!!":rotfl2:

:dance3: Gotcha:dance3:

no way?!?!?!

one of the oddest things I've seen is people taking pictures of their food. Oh, wait, there's an entire thread devoted to how cool those people are. So many of the weirdest, worst, oddest, meanest, ignorant things shared about on any of these boards we're only hearing/seeing a very small part of the story.

DH and I love food. But, even so, we know that we don't need to eat every snack in the park. So, we share a lot of them, and then we try more. DH would be more content to eat a snack her and there and share then to sit down and eat a meal.

Last time we went I got an ice-cream sandwhich. We met up with some friends of ours, and I had an ice-cream sandwhich. I had five kids eating off of my ice cream.

There is nothing wrong with sharing food, nothing at all- but the people who try and use buffets as the source of their food for the week ect, come on...if you can't afford to eat for the week then you can't afford the trip. I also have been known to stick a peanut butter sandwich in the backpack and use it for a quick snack, but not to replace a REAL meal. 8-10 miles of walking per day, the kids need FOOD to keep their energy up! JMHO. :hippie:

Hey,

Last year durning free dining, I split a Dole whip float with my DD who was 7 at the time. She's really tiny, was sure she'd hate the Dole whip and stuffed from just having a Mickey head ice cream but wanted to give it a try anyway...boy I hope people that saw us didn't think I was being cheap and forcing my kid to share a float!

pirate:

Hey, if that's cheap, we'll be there being happily cheap in Dec. :goodvibes We've never tried the legendary Dole Whip and none of us are big fans of pineapple, but I've heard so much about them that I want to try it anyway. So we'll be the family of 4 passing around a small Dole Whip, but don't think we're too terribly cheap - we just like to share so that we can try more different things! Last trip, we shared our way around the F&W festival. This trip, we're going to share our way through all the DIS favorites - school bread & pastries from Main Street bakery and Boulangerie Patisserie & candies from the confectionary and from Goofy's & Figaro fries from Pinocchios. I actually have a list! :rotfl: But in most cases, we do split one or two snacks between the 4 of us, because there's no other way we could try everything we want to plus enjoy the everyone-gets-their-own favorites like Mickey bars without turning into overfed slugs!

I was in MK, my wife and I got a Dole whip Float each, and a family of 4 sat down next to us. A father, mother, and two daughters around 10 and 12 years old, they split a small soft serve dole ice cream, and almost shot dole juice out of my nose when the father says mommy gets first taste, hell the soft serve was so small, there wasn't much after her taste. Then when they were down, the father hmmm that sure hit the spot, he must had a small stomach.

Any way they can make it affordable to take the kids is ok

one of the oddest things I've seen is people taking pictures of their food. Oh, wait, there's an entire thread devoted to how cool those people are.
Hey I resemble that remark. Cool and Odd Thanks.

come on old timers who saw the corn people??

There used to be a very old thread about people eating canned corn on the steps of city hall. The corn people thread was amazing. I didn't personally witness this but it would have been a hoot for me.

Cold canned corn? Hey--I bet that would taste great with cold weiners dipped in mayonnaise! The perfect combo meal. Add a refillable mug full of Beverly and you're all set.

Now what was this Canned Corn Con? Did you DIS'ers do a reenactment of the canned corn people or something?

I am not sure what I think here other than these are examples of people maybe doing WDW on a very strict budget, other than the person who over ordered and did not eat his food..

That man may have been doing some kind of official taste testing or review!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter