Bare Face = Divorce?

I think it's more likely that such marriages fail because they were based solely on physical appearance. If you want a marriage like that to last, better hope the wife's still hot in her 80's.

It's not about trying to look 20 when you're 80. It's about how you present yourself to the world and that says something about how you feel about yourself and about how you feel about your spouse and about how you expect others to treat you.

If you present yourself slovenly when out and about with your spouse, what message does that send to people?

If it truly doesn't matter what you wear and how you present yourself in public, then I guess it is ok to wear daisy dukes and a halter top to a wedding (unless it is a Dukes of Hazard theme wedding of course).

It also seems that if you do not care about your health, that also says something about how you feel about your spouse. If you don't care about your health, then you don't really care about having the relationship last as long as it could. I feel I owe it to my DH to at least take reasonable care of myself and look after my health. After all, I want to live as long as possible to spend as much life with him as possible.

If I insisted on Mrs. Tex wearing makeup, or fixing her hair, or dressing fancy, I'd have to get me a doghouse so that I'd have a place to sleep out of the rain. I kinda love the snot out of her anyhow. I knew she was a small town farm girl going in, I wouldn't trade her for anything, and I've always thought she was beautiful. You're free to disagree, of course, but not to my face, 'k?

I'm certainly no prize myself, I ought to trim my beard more often, and I ought to update my own wardrobe. She seems to like me anyhow. At least, she's put up with me for over 36 years.

And Pat Robertson should go suck on a concrete lemon.

Wish I could find a Mr Tex of my own.

It's not about trying to look 20 when you're 80. It's about how you present yourself to the world and that says something about how you feel about yourself and about how you feel about your spouse and about how you expect others to treat you.

If you present yourself slovenly when out and about with your spouse, what message does that send to people?

If it truly doesn't matter what you wear and how you present yourself in public, then I guess it is ok to wear daisy dukes and a halter top to a wedding (unless it is a Dukes of Hazard theme wedding of course).

It also seems that if you do not care about your health, that also says something about how you feel about your spouse. If you don't care about your health, then you don't really care about having the relationship last as long as it could. I feel I owe it to my DH to at least take reasonable care of myself and look after my health. After all, I want to live as long as possible to spend as much life with him as possible.

Health was never brought into the conversation.

It was said by an old man that if a woman doesn't wear makeup, her husband will divorce her.

Well I've only worn makeup maybe 2-3 times in the 11 years DH and I have been together(I'll occasionally wear eyeshadow if we're going out and some lipstick), so that is clearly not an issue here. I very rarely "do" my hair as my hair is naturally wavy/curly and kind of does itself. On a rare occasion I will actually take the time and effort to straighten it, but not often. DH met me and married me without makeup and my hair in its natural state, so I'd say those two things play no factor at all in our marriage.
I feel sad for people who feel like they have to get dolled up for their spouse. If they like to, that's one thing. But if your marriage suffers because you no longer choose to, I'd be happier getting out of that one than staying put.

Well, I guess if your marriage is based on someones outward appearance then I could see how it would be harmful to the marriage to "let yourself go".

Thankfully, I have a marriage based on love, respect, trust and faithfulness. I'm glad that I found a man to love me for who I am on the inside and not just my outward appearance. It allows me to truly be me.

I am comfortable enough in my own skin that I don't have to wear makeup to make myself look good. I look good without it. Glad that I am not insecure in my marriage where I felt I had to wear makeup or dress a certain way to "prevent" my husband from wandering.

I love how it's okay for men to let themselves go though. He didn't mention that did he? Sounds like nothing more then a man making up excuses for his own selfish gain and conscience. Pathetic.

Well, I guess if your marriage is based on someones outward appearance then I could see how it would be harmful to the marriage to "let yourself go".

True enough. I once watched an interview with one of Donald Trumps wives before they got married. The interviewer asked her if she would have married him if he was poor, she responded with the comment that it was a stupid question, it's like asking him if he would have married her if she was ugly. That woman was a realist. She knew what he was looking for, and she was prepared to sign on for the duration in exchange for a lucrative lifestyle. I'm not saying they didn't love each other. I'm sure they did in their own way, but that's a woman who understood that she'd be wearing makeup everyday for her husband. If it works for them, good enough.

As others have said, PR is senile and they should stop letting him speak publicly.

Now, DH prefers me without makeup and he knew he was marrying a girl who wasn't going to wear it most of the time.

However, I can see a scenario where a wife knows her husband likes her to be 'made up' or whatever, and her lack of doing so is a symptom of other things that might lead to divorce.

Didn't read the whole thing but it's not always a matter of a someone not wearing make-up, getting all dressed up or having perfect hair. "Letting themselves go" can mean not caring about anything anymore. I.e. no initiative to become a better person because now (in the words of Homer Simpson) they're married and their spouse is contractually obligated to love them no matter what. Bait-n-switch...

I heard the actual clip on the radio this morning, he is old and outdated and who really watches the 700 Club anymore anyway? That show needs to go away. lol He said that basically it's up to the woman to "keep the spark alive" but I disagree 100% I think both parties have a part in that, besides if my sweetie likes me better without makeup then I won't wear it, and since he does I guess I'm probably good to go. :)

Thankfully, I have a marriage based on love, respect, trust and faithfulness. I'm glad that I found a man to love me for who I am on the inside and not just my outward appearance. It allows me to truly be me.

I am comfortable enough in my own skin that I don't have to wear makeup to make myself look good. I look good without it. Glad that I am not insecure in my marriage where I felt I had to wear makeup or dress a certain way to "prevent" my husband from wandering.

I love how it's okay for men to let themselves go though. He didn't mention that did he? Sounds like nothing more then a man making up excuses for his own selfish gain and conscience. Pathetic.
:thumbsup2 This!!! :thumbsup2

And since we moved to a little farmette earlier this year, my routine question to DH or DD is "Do you see any poop on my jeans and if not, do I smell badly enough that I need to change?" :rotfl2: I pray the answer is no because I really don't want to go find a clean pair of jeans. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
DH and I love each other no matter what we look like. :lovestruc

Didn't read the whole thing but it's not always a matter of a someone not wearing make-up, getting all dressed up or having perfect hair. "Letting themselves go" can mean not caring about anything anymore. I.e. no initiative to become a better person because now (in the words of Homer Simpson) they're married and their spouse is contractually obligated to love them no matter what. Bait-n-switch...

I agree with this.

I would also say that if a person took very good care of themselves prior to marriage - worked out all the time, dressed well, colored thier hair (if needed), got regular haircuts, etc. and then stopped all that after the wedding - then I can kind of understand a husband getting upset. And I'm not sure I'd blame him. He expected a person to care for themselves in one way - and then they don't.

That's not to say that things in life happen and people get sick or whatnot and that's not the same AT ALL.

I mean if you started out taking care of your appearance and then decide once you are married that you don't need to make any effort anymore...then I can understand a spouse being upset.

Seeing as how I've worn makeup maybe 10 days in my life and I have a long term BF (who I consider pretty good looking), I'd have to disagree with the speaker.

Then again, I don't have that ring yet, so maybe I should slather on some makeup (don't even know how). :rotfl2:

Seeing as how I've worn makeup maybe 10 days in my life and I have a long term BF (who I consider pretty good looking), I'd have to disagree with the speaker.

Then again, I don't have that ring yet, so maybe I should slather on some makeup (don't even know how). :rotfl2:

But I think this is different. You don't wear make up now. So, it's not like you'd stop wearing it after you got married. You'd just stay who you are, right?

I think that's different from someone who wore make up everyday before they got married and then once the wedding happened, stopped putting it on.

That we are paying Robertson's enlightened opinions lip service is a shame.

I agree with this.

I would also say that if a person took very good care of themselves prior to marriage - worked out all the time, dressed well, colored thier hair (if needed), got regular haircuts, etc. and then stopped all that after the wedding - then I can kind of understand a husband getting upset. And I'm not sure I'd blame him. He expected a person to care for themselves in one way - and then they don't.

That's not to say that things in life happen and people get sick or whatnot and that's not the same AT ALL.

I mean if you started out taking care of your appearance and then decide once you are married that you don't need to make any effort anymore...then I can understand a spouse being upset.

:thumbsup2 If my DH suddenly gained a ton of weight, stopped showering and refused to brush his teeth, believe me, we'd have a talk!!!! It isn't that I don't love him when he's smelly and extra hairy. It's that I take the time to care for myself and I married someone who also took the time to care for himself. If one of us stopped, the other would wonder. We eat fairly healthy (although we also like to splurge!) we both run and workout and we encourage our children to do these things, too. I wear makeup every day and dress up most days. I also wear yoga pants around the house if I feel like it. Either way, I take a little time to make myself presentable because *I* feel better about myself when I'm put together. If I suddently stopped caring what I looked like, my DH would and should wonder what's going on. There have been times when I was sick or when I'd just had a baby or the like when I look a mess and I feel even worse. He knows there's something wrong and kind of laughs at me because he knows I'd never willingly allow myself to look that way. Usually he'll hug me and tell me it will all be fine. If I looked that way every day, he'd probably suggest I see a doctor. :laughing:

SaraJayne said:
Health was never brought into the conversation.

It was said by an old man that if a woman doesn't wear makeup, her husband will divorce her.

Yep and a Christian man at that!!!! If I wore even half the makeup some of those tele evangelist wives wear my husband would flip. He says im most beautiful when im without makeup....he sees me as God sees me beautiful any way.

I saw the clip on Chelsea Lately last night. All I keep thinking was, since when are you such a great looker Pat?

When my DH married me 34 years ago I had short brown hair and wore while not a lot of make-up, much more than I do now. To be honest, if I still looked the same that I did when he married me, I would look pretty silly. I don't think my Dorthy Hamill haircut, black lined eyes, red lined lips, platform shoes and high waisted jeans would cut it now!

I think my lighter make-up, white bob and more professional clothes are much more appropriate! Sure I have gained some weight, but I have also had 3 children. Whats his excuse!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter