Bare Face = Divorce?

If a decline in a partner's looks (whether male or female) has ANYTHING to do with a divorce (and I don't doubt it does for some), IMO, it wasn't a relationship built on love.

Well said. I agree with this person 100%+

If a man wants a Barbie doll or a woman wants a Ken they shouldn't think about getting married. Things happen. Looks aren't forever.

Ok, here's a thought for discussion.

On our local news channel they have a story tonight on how a local "speaker" feels that women who "let themselves go" account for a lot of the reason marriages fail:confused3

Now, let me state that I am in no way being insensitive to divoices or anything like that! I do not agree with this "speakers' Comment. I also am NOT one who always dresses to the nines and has full hair & makeup at all times. nope, not me. I don't know that I agree w/ this theory, but on the facebook post, there were over 3000 comments and alot of them were in agreement????

What do you all think??? Is a women not "doing her hair or makeup" on a regular basis the reasons so many marriage fail in America???

I NEVER wear makeup. Not ever. I never do anything to my hair either (I don't even own a blowdryer!) And I've been married for 22 years. Of course I never wore makeup or fussed with my hair before we were married, either. My husband still thinks I'm beautiful. :love:

If that's an actual reason why marriages fail in America, it just proves that America is full of shallow men.

If a decline in a partner's looks (whether male or female) has ANYTHING to do with a divorce (and I don't doubt it does for some), IMO, it wasn't a relationship built on love.

My husband and I have discussed this in the past, and that's exactly what he has said. He said he can't imagine being in a relationship where one spouse or the other has to be concerned about whether a change in their looks is going to impact their marriage (for the record, I've put on some weight, but he's not that much heavier than he was when we married).

I've heard my son-in-law tell my daughter that he doesn't know why she thinks she has to put on make up and get "all fixed up". He tells her that she's beautiful without "all that stuff".

This isn't the first thing that I've heard Pat Robertson say that I don't agree with. As a professing Christian, I have been appalled at some of the things I've heard him say. This would be one of them.

ETA: I just watched the video, and I can't believe what the man said. A teenage boy is asking a question (sent to Maxim magazine) about his dad spending so much time on video games and seeing how alone his mother was feeling. He's asking for advice on how to help them reconnect, and PR starts in on the mom (she may not be as sweet as the son thinks she is)? Wow, what kind of an example is he being to this son? I'm really annoyed now. And to make a joke that a woman went to her pastor for advice about her husband's drinking, and the pastor's supposed response was that he'd drink too if he were married to her because of how she looked??? That's despicable.

Men are very visual creatures.

I know many, many women who have let themselves go over time because they get comfortable. Wearing sweatpants all the time, letting the gray hair grow, no makeup, not shaving, old clothes, becoming prudes, and the list goes on and on. Some women simply stop trying. I will never understand this.

While I may not agree that this ends marriages, it could lead men to have wandering eyes.

Oh, for cryin' out loud. Would someone please shut that man up??? He and a few loudmouth whackos like him give Christianity a bad name.

Seriously, though, I think he's got the beginnings of some kind of brain problem. He's lost his filter completely and seems to be continuously spewing out stupid stuff. I saw one clip from an episode of the 700 club where even his cohost looked at him like he was an idiot.

If he has some health issue going on, his family and staff need to reel him in and force him out of the spotlight and into retirement.

I agree. He's an 82 year old man. I think it's reasonable for him to have some quirks and opinions that are influenced by his age, but I think it does him a disservice to let him continue to spout nonsence that will only anger people and cause controversy. Someone should be helping him age gracefully and be helping to monitor his public persona before he does more damage.

I am a Christian, but am definitely NOT a Pat Robertson fan. At this point though, I feel bad for him. He may be at a point where he's getting compromised and doesn't realize it yet. Someone needs to help the man rather than allowing him to continue in his role as some sort of spokesman!

DisneyFan32WI said:

I know many, many women who have let themselves go over time because they get comfortable. Wearing sweatpants all the time, letting the gray hair grow, no makeup, not shaving, old clothes, becoming prudes, and the list goes on and on. Some women simply stop trying. I will never understand this.

While I may not agree that this ends marriages, it could lead men to have wandering eyes.

My husband thinks my gray hair is sexy. I, on the other hand, hate it. :shrug:

I agree with this. I don't think anyone can say that women not wearing make-up causes divorces. But I do think that when a spouse "lets themself go" it can create the possibility that their spouse may start looking elsewhere. Most of the time, it's just window shopping, but sometimes window shopping leads to impulse buying.

I am not saying that I agree with it or that I think it's okay. All I'm saying is that if you have apples at home, sometimes a mango can be tempting. One would hope a strong enough relationship would prevail, but not all relationships are that strong.

I don't wear makeup daily, nor do I dress up or fix my hair daily. I have a full time day job in a warehouse, I'm currently wearing 2 shirts, a big sweatshirt, 2 pairs of socks, my hood is up and my scarf is on, I have a part time "job" teaching line dancing at a local bar, when I go there I'm in jeans (or shorts or a dress weather dependent), cowboy boots, tank tops, my hair is fixed and I have on a little bit of makeup but not a lot. I just don't do that and never really have. If that leads to the breakup of my relationship then it wasn't a very good relationship to begin with. lol

I agree with this. I don't think anyone can say that women not wearing make-up causes divorces. But I do think that when a spouse "lets themself go" it can create the possibility that their spouse may start looking elsewhere. Most of the time, it's just window shopping, but sometimes window shopping leads to impulse buying.

I am not saying that I agree with it or that I think it's okay. All I'm saying is that if you have apples at home, sometimes a mango can be tempting. One would hope a strong enough relationship would prevail, but not all relationships are that strong.

I also agree. I don't see anything wrong with wearing sweats and ponytails around the house, but I do think men appreciate a bit more effort at other times. Do I think that's the way things SHOULD be? No. But I think that's how they are.

My husband PREFERS me without makeup. He can't stand the way it feels, smells or gets on him when we kiss, and frankly neither can I. I don't wear makeup...never really have. That's how he fell for me and that's how I'll stay.

Add me to the list of people who have never been big make up wearers. I also have no idea how to do anything to my hair except straighten it and put it in a pony tail. I prefer pajama pants around the house to jeans. My boyfriend doesn't mind. I do, however, like to dress up for him sometimes. I think its nice when we both put a little something extra into our appearance, even if its just on special occasions. I don't think not wanting to get all dressed up with a ton of make up on is cause for a divorce though.

Also, in response to the title, I'd be pretty upset if a "bare face" directly caused a divorce. However, if I had a bear face, I give my future husband full permission to leave me. Not sure why I would someday wake up with a bear face, but you never know.

I think it's more likely that such marriages fail because they were based solely on physical appearance. If you want a marriage like that to last, better hope the wife's still hot in her 80's.

DisneyFan32WI said:

Not good men.

Well if a man or woman divorces their spouse because their spouse "let themselves go," the thing really being let go is commitment and the one doing it is the man or woman that initiated the divorce.

It's till death parts us. It isn't until your lack of lipstick or too much gray hair or baldness parts us.

There is a wide margin between "letting one's self go" and "not dressing to the 9s every day". That's my first disclaimer.

Next, my hubby does not like it when I wear the "mom shorts/pants" around the house. I don't like it when he wears his LSU gear every stinkin day. Get over it, already. :thumbsup2

Finally, as a conservative, Christian, I am sick and tired of Pat Robertson reinforcing some of this antiquated, outdated garbage that I feel is intended to "keep women in their place".

I've brought a lot of things to the marriage, besides how I look. I'm aging, so is DH. We still have lots in common and enjoy each others company. 26 years strong, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've put on makeup during the year. This includes from the first year we met, until the past year. We're casual and it works for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter