A Love Affair With Us And The DxDP (W/Pics): 7/13: Snacks! Pg. 12

Glad you enjoyed Le Cellier and it makes me feel alittle better as we have a ressie and lately it's been getting some negative buzz.

Can't wait for your next update as we also made a ressie for the Flying Fish :cool1:

eeeeek that really does look like beetle lava - not the ideal shape for vegetarians - I love my steak too much to be tempted away from meat on any menu :worship:

I don't know what happened to me! Why didn't I get the meat? :lmao:

Glad you enjoyed Le Cellier and it makes me feel alittle better as we have a ressie and lately it's been getting some negative buzz.

Can't wait for your next update as we also made a ressie for the Flying Fish :cool1:

Oh, Flying Fish...:lovestruc

You're not going to be disappointed!

This next "review" isn't about any restaurant or snack stop. It's specifically about the Boardwalk, and the special something they did for us.

After we had eaten at Le Cellier, we headed back over to the Boardwalk to take a rest and to shower off before dinner at Flying Fish. I was taking a shower while UncleR was downstairs taking a wee little smoke break.

Upon getting out of the shower, I was resting (collapsed?) on the bed waiting for her to return when I heard a knock at the door.

My first thought was, "I wonder why she's not using her key?" I hopped up and ran to the door and started to turn the knob. And then I realized I was, ummmm, not presentable to be opening any door. So, rather than scar the person on the other side of the door should it not be my wife, I said, "May I ask who's there?"

"Boardwalk amenities"...is what I heard back.

(Crap. I can't open the door like this!)

"Could you give me just a minute, please?"

I quickly made myself presentable and answered the door to this:

DCWedding768.jpg

DCWedding772.jpg

When the woman brought this beauty in to our room, all she said was: "Happy Honeymoon!" And she was gone into the endless Boardwalk hallways again.

I thought maybe UncleR had sent a nice little treat to our room. And then I opened the card and saw this:

246813_2017768613447_1520824968_32141086_2318412_n.jpg

:lovestruc We don't know how they knew and we don't know how they found out, but they did, and they sent us what we now call "Our Wedding Cake". :rotfl2:

Once the kind lady left the room, I was alone again. Where was UncleR? I wanted her to be here to see our present!

When she walked in a few minutes later, I practically jumped on her in excitement and squealed: "Look what they sent us!!!"

Apparently, she had been downstairs taking pictures in the Boardwalk Bakery for our dining report. :rotfl2:

DCWedding764.jpg

DCWedding765.jpg

We didn't touch the white chocolate Mickey or the strawberries until we got home a few days later. We didn't have room due to being too full from the food. :laughing: We did try a strawberry and it was yummy. We're saving our Mickey though...

The above is the reason why I will say a million times, if you're even considering honeymooning at Disney, I would urge you to push yourself in that direction. They treat you wonderfully and add all sorts of special little touches. A few days ago we sent a thank you note straight to the Boardwalk. We both know we wouldn't have received the same treatment anywhere else in the world. Disney recognizes special occasions and marriages in a way no other organization does, including those of same sex couples. The love was flowin'...the Boardwalk made sure of that!

Thanks for the great reviews. I know wher I'm spending a lot of our snack credits! The Boardwalk Bakery! What else is good for snackin on the boardwalk?

Thanks for the great reviews. I know wher I'm spending a lot of our snack credits! The Boardwalk Bakery! What else is good for snackin on the boardwalk?

I know it's horrible, but we were so full from all of the food on the DxDP that we never ate any snacks. :scared1: We didn't get down to Boardwalk Bakery for anything to eat! But UncleR was looking at the pictures with me just a bit ago, and she wishes we had one of those nut clusters right now! :lmao:

No longer than 2 weeks from our honeymoon trip, my inbox pinged from an e-mail from Magic Kingdom dining this morning with the olive relish recipe from Tony's. I told you guys I would share, so here it is!

Tony’s Town Square Restaurant Olive Relish

Kalamata Olives ¼ cup
Green Olives ¼ cup
Banana Peppers ¼ cup
Roasted Red Peppers ¼ cup
Red Onions ¼ cup
Red Wine Vinegar 3 tablespoons
Salt and Pepper TT

For the relish rough chop all the ingredients and mix together.

That's great that they got back to you with the recipe so fast! I'm sure many DISers will appreciate it. :goodvibes

I love you! Thanks so much for posting that, I am going to make it tonight!

I love you! Thanks so much for posting that, I am going to make it tonight!

Thank you for posting! That is definitely going on the menu this weekend!

Let us know what you use that relish with, we live out in the boonies 'n don't have easy access to calamari so we're brainstormin' other options, (fried shrimp 'n fried fish of any sort).

Or better yet, PM us your addresses, we'll come right on over. :lmao:

Let us know what you use that relish with, we live out in the boonies 'n don't have easy access to calamari so we're brainstormin' other options, (fried shrimp 'n fried fish of any sort).

Thanks for sharing, Gluv! Oh, and UncleR, I'm planning on eating it directly out of the bowl with a spoon ::yes::

Or better yet, PM us your addresses, we'll come right on over. :lmao:

We don't really eat seafood at all. For us it would be a sandwich or burger topper. Love the salty/spicy/vinegry things! Maybe some fried zucchini or something ...

I am going to make some olive relish to go on a toasted italian grinder. Mmmmm.....

I think the gnocchi looked awesome (although dd-12 was over my shoulder and said "eeewwwwww what IS that?") but do think of it as cool fall food.

What a nice surprise, to get a special honeymoon treat from the boardwalk :love:

I am going to make some olive relish to go on a toasted italian grinder. Mmmmm.....

I think the gnocchi looked awesome (although dd-12 was over my shoulder and said "eeewwwwww what IS that?") but do think of it as cool fall food.

What a nice surprise, to get a special honeymoon treat from the boardwalk :love:

It made us feel like we were the only ones there. :lovestruc

LOVE this report!! You both have a great sense of humor. Can't wait to read more

I had to take a few days off to watch the Casey Anthony trial. But, no trial today, so I can do my dining report again. :lmao:

And thank you so much for your kind words!

We had a reservation on this evening at 7:00. We arrived about 15 minutes early and we were seated immediately.

DCWedding777.jpg

The restaurant was rather empty, and we enjoyed looking around. This place is beautiful on the inside, with a side of funk.

DCWedding778.jpg

DCWedding784.jpg

The hostess showed us to our table near the windows overlooking parts of the Boardwalk.

DCWedding780.jpg

Our menus had "Congrats" written across the top...

DCWedding781.jpg

DCWedding782.jpg

I do love the Woolf quote across the bottom of the menu:

"One cannot think well, love well, and sleep well if one has not dined well."

I wonder if there's a study which examines the relationships of foodies like us? :laughing:

The cheese board menu:

DCWedding783.jpg

Our server was Theresa. She was fabulous the entire evening. Her knowledge about Flying Fish was immense. She informed us that she had, personally, tasted every menu item at the Flying Fish, and she offered to give us recommendations should we need them.

She brought out a complimentary toast of champagne from the restaurant as a form of congratulations to us on our marriage.

DCWedding785.jpg

She posed as well!

DCWedding786.jpg

UncleR knew exactly what she wanted for her appetizer. But, I was on the fence. I was between the mussels in the pesto broth and the floribbean gulf shrimp cocktail. Upon Theresa's recommendation (insistance???) and after her promise that I would want to swim in the tasty broth, I settled on the mussels.

But, before our appetizers were brought to us, the Flying Fish sent us a little surprise!

The chef sent over what Theresa referred to as the "Chef's Muse", which is a wee little taste of something that he has created off menu. The chef also sent along his congratulations on our marriage. :lovestruc

Our "muse" was an organically grown, cucumber and avocado chilled soup, topped with Jonah crab meat and mint.

DCWedding788.jpg

I took a taste and my tastebuds began to explode. Oh. mah. gawd. this was good. In fact, "good" doesn't do it justice. It was exceptional. Fresh and chilled, but not cold. Full of flavor, but somehow very light.

As I scooped the last bite out of my cup, I looked at UncleR and said, "Ummm, do you think it would be impolite to lick the bottom?"

Before we could even rest our spoons, someone was there to whisk away our "muse" and replace it with our appetizers.

Again, I had settled on the mussels, which are served in a fennel, chile, pesto cream sauce, with sourdough crostini on the side.

DCWedding791.jpg

I'm trying to imagine how I can possibly describe the goodness in the written word that is contained within this bowl. If I thought the chef's muse was good, it in no way prepared me for these mussels.

The mussels themselves were the most tender, melt-in-your mouth mussels I have had the pleasure of sucking down my throat. And the broth. Ohhhhh, the broth. It is a perfect mixture of pesto and spice from the chiles, and the cream makes it rich, but not overly so. The bread is a perfect accompaniment for the broth and I went through at least a couple of pieces of bread trying to sop up all of the goodness on the bottom of the bowl. UncleR tasted my mussels as well and agreed that Theresa had given us the right recommendation.

For her appetizer, UncleR ordered the cheese board. This was absolutely wonderful as well, and had it not been for the mussels, we both would have thought this the best thing on the menu.

DCWedding790.jpg

From left to right on the plate we have:

• Roque Creamery Smokey Oregon Blue
  • Murcia al Vino, a semi-firm white, goat's cheese
  • Flore Sardo, a semi-hard sheep's milk cheese
  • Flagship Reserve Truckle, a long-cured American cheddar
  • Brillat Savarin, a soft-crusted cow's milk cheese

As an accompaniment, the plate also includes:

• Fig and Almond Torta
  • Savannah Bee Company Honeycomb
  • Raisins on the Vine
  • Black Mission Fig, Bing Cherry, and Sweet Bermuda Onion Compote

I tasted the compote and the honeycomb, which were both ahhhhhmazing. My favorite cheese was the Brillat Savarin. UncleR enjoyed this very much, and raved about all of the cheeses. Paring each cheese with the different accompaniments brought different flavors and textures to an already flavorful platter.

While we were eating our appetizers, our sourdough bread basket with salted butter was brought to our table.

DCWedding795.jpg

We never touched the butter, but each of us used a piece of bread to sop up some of the broth from the mussels. Ohhhhh, that broth!

I should add, neither of us finished our appetizers. Otherwise we wouldn't have had room to spare on our entrees. As much as it pained me to watch that bowl of broth leave the table, I had to do it.

We hadn't even put down our utensils indicating that we were finished with our appetizers when someone whisked by and cleaned our table again. The service here was impeccable!!!

Up next: Everything we were hoping for and more...

***P.S.-We tried to "re-create" the mussel recipe a few weeks ago using the restaurant's recipe, only we served it with shrimp, as mussels are difficult to come by around these here parts o' the country. It didn't work. It was just "meh". We've decided we need to return to Flying Fish for more research. :teeth:

We had those FF mussels as well, they were UNBELIEVABLE! We ordered ours without fennel because DS doesn't like it at all. Oh, my, :cloud9:! That bowl was dry as a bone when we sent it back, not one drop of broth remained. Glad you loved them too!

Mussels will definitely be a must have when we return! YUM

Now I just need to patiently wait for the entree pictures :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter