• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Goal 72

#27 Comes a Horseman by Robert Liparulo

FBI agents, serial killer, the Antichrist..
Great book, started slow but interesting then about halfway thru became a real page turner.

Finished book #24- The light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

This is a good book for book clubs discussions of "what would you do?". As much as I understood the wife, Isabel, in the beginning & why she made the decision she did, by the end of the book I wanted to slap her. I give this a 4 out of 5.

AFTER FOUR HARROWING YEARS ON THE WESTERN Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up on shore carrying a dead man and a living baby.
Tom, who keeps meticulous records and whose moral principles have withstood a horrific war, wants to report the man and infant immediately. But Isabel insists the baby is a “gift from God,” and against Tom’s judgment, they claim her as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded that there are other people in the world. Their choice has devastated one of them.

Next book: Kingdom Keepers book 2

Finished book #27, Mr. Right and other Mongrels. Really good, chick-lit, similar to Sophie Kinsella. Now I'm reading "Dead and Berried", a cozy mystery. So far, so good!

Books 14 and 15....

Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Can't wait for the 3rd one in the series!

Books 14 and 15....

Me either!

Finished book #8, Lucky Charm. This one was a freebie for Kindle. It was cute. Typical chick-lit romance story.

About 25% through book #9, If You Lived Here You'd Be Perfect By Now. It's a book that recaps the SVH series of my youth in snarky fashion. Quite a few LOL moments so far!

Goal = 75

40. A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
I got this one after reading a thread on the DIS about synesthesia. Synesthesia is a is a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. For instance associating specific colors with letters or numbers. The main character in the book is a teenage girl who has this condition and realizes in 3rd grade nobody else sees the world as she does so she keeps it a secret. Finally she finds out what it is and there are other people like her.

The book was a quick, easy read but informative and interesting.

41. Overdue for Murder by Teresa Trent
This is the second in the Pecan Bayou Series. The typical cozy mystery. It has likable characters and a half decent plot.

42. Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
This is the first in the young adult Kane Chronicles Series dealing with Egyptian mythology. I didnt like it too much. The subject matter has possibilities but I think he tries to cram too much into story and the dialog is too hectic. I felt the same way about the Percy Jackson books he wrote. I'm not planning to continue the series.

#24 done - "Lost and Found" by Jacqueline Sheehan:
A poignant and unforgettable tale of love, loss, and moving on... with the help of one not-so-little dog.

Rocky's husband Bob was just forty-two when she discovered him lying cold and lifeless on the bathroom floor... and Rocky's world changed forever. Quitting her job, chopping off all her hair, she leaves Massachusetts—reinventing her past and taking a job as Animal Control Warden on Peak's Island, a tiny speck off the coast of Maine and a million miles away from everything she's lost. She leaves her career as a psychologist behind, only to find friendship with a woman whose brain misfires in the most wonderful way and a young girl who is trying to disappear. Rocky, a quirky and fallible character, discovers the healing process to be agonizingly slow.

But then she meets Lloyd.

A large black Labrador retriever, Lloyd enters Rocky's world with a primitive arrow sticking out of his shoulder. And so begins a remarkable friendship between a wounded woman and a wounded, lovable beast. As the unraveling mystery of Lloyd's accident and missing owner leads Rocky to an archery instructor who draws her in even as she finds every reason to mistrust him, she discovers the life-altering revelation that grief can be transformed . . . and joy does exist in unexpected places./I]

I enjoyed this book - easy, relatively quick read. Not too deep or complex and maybe that was to its detriment, but a good read nonetheless.

Finished book #25- Kingdom Keepers:Disney at Dawn (book 2) by Ridley Pearson

The 1st one was set in Magic Kingdom & this one was set in Animal Kingdom. This series isn't outstanding, like Hunger Games or Divergent, but it's fun to read all the disney stuff.

Next book: Kingdom Keepers book 3

Goal 100

Book #47 Some Sunny Day by Helen Carey-second in the Lavender Road series about a group of neighbours in London during WW2.

Books 14 and 15....

What can you tell me about this series? I've gone back and forth about reading it and can't make up my mind. I don't normally do series books and I'm trying to decide if it's worth committing to.

Thanks! :goodvibes

If you liked Hunger Games, you will like this one. It's about a Chicago society that is drastically different than what we know due to a major event. Instead of different districts, like in Hunger Games, there are separate factions based on people's basic virtue (honesty, brave, selfless, peaceful, intelligent).

BearcatsFan said:
What can you tell me about this series? I've gone back and forth about reading it and can't make up my mind. I don't normally do series books and I'm trying to decide if it's worth committing to.

Thanks! :goodvibes

It reminded me of Hunger Games, so if you liked those you would like these too. I did not think these were as well written or developed as the Hunger Games series, but they still kept my attention. I am looking forward to the next book to see how she finishes the series.

#11/25: The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Won't do a synopsis as this have been reviewed before, but I would give it 4/5. I was especially moved by Frank's outlook on forgiveness.

Goal = 75

43. Divergent by Veronica Roth
I didnt like this one as much as most of the YA dystopia novels I have read. I will read Insurgent but I'm not in a rush to start it.

Goal 72

#28 Creep by Jennifer Hillier

Psychology professor Sheila has affair with Ethan, one of her teaching assistants, but breaks it off when she becomes engaged to her Morris, her true love. Ethan doesn't like that one bit......
A thriller of deadly attraction. Bit too much sex for me but considering one of the main characters is a sex addict....:rotfl:
It was a good book, didn't figure the ending out before hand and would recommend it.

Book #33 When she said I do by Celeste Bradley

Review: So after reading my last book I needed something lighter and so I turned to the lurid romance book section. Oh boy did I choose one. So basically When She Said I Do is a weird mix of 50 Shades of Grey, Pride and Prejudice and Beauty and The Beast. Of course there is romance but there is also some suspense to the story and some mystery.

So, our heroine Callie Worthington and her family are stranded in this abandoned looking manor. She goes to explore the place and finds jewelry and puts on a pearl necklace. The hero, Ren Porter who fits the role as a brooding and mysterious hooded stranger. Of course they are in a compromising situation and now are stuck in this quickie marriage.
Of course the couple has their own personal issues, Ren is haunted by his past and thinks he is going to die whereas Callie has been the sole caretaker to her family (the parents are alive but they are basically useless) and feels she has nothing to show for it. Add to that some crazy person is trying to kill Callie.

Without giving so much of the story away, there are a few problems I have with it. One is with Callie's family. Ok, so the heroine is 30 and is a "spinster" (remember this is 1810s), she is the one who takes care of her parents AND her numerous siblings. Yeah she loves them but is burdened by them. When the Worthingtons show up, honestly I was annoyed with their selfishness and impulsiveness. Her parents have never took responsibility for their children and I feel that Callie has some resentment towards them. There are also some issues that I feel are not resolved in the end and kind of ticked me off.

OK, so I did warn you that there is some 50 Shades of Grey influence and sometimes it gets a bit much.

Goal 100

Book #48 A World Without Darcy by C Rafe Carlson-more Austen fanfic. Good quick read.

Just beware that you will feel the same way at the end of Insurgent, and the next one is not out until the fall. I still can't wait to read it, and I read both last Sept/Oct.

Ugh, I do feel the same way and I'm frustrated. At least the book title has been released!

Finished quite a few because I was on vacation =D

Number 7: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Number 8: The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Number 9: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Number 10: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Number 11: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

I didn't think I'd get through both of the Mortal Instruments books, so I didn't bring the third one with me. I picked Safe Haven up from my wife's pile given that she hadn't read it.

Up next: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter