2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Goal = 40

#18 - Brides of Prairie Gold by Maggie Osborne (http://www.amazon.com/Brides-Prairi...636678&sr=1-1&keywords=brides+of+prairie+gold)
This was recommended by someone in this thread. Tells the story of 12 mail order brides crossing the country in a wagon train in the mid-1800s. I liked it, especially the characters of Perrin and Mem, but their were a few things I didn't like. I especially didn't like the "mystery" story that started in the beginning of the book in the journal excerpts. But it was not a bad historical romance.

#19 - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pa...qid=1365636875&sr=1-1&keywords=wild+from+lost)
This is the non-fiction story of one woman's attempt to hike the length of California via the Pacific Crest Trail. She set out after a series of personal setbacks and disappointments, including the dissolution of her marriage and the death of her mother. I was surprised at how much this book kept my interest.

No worries! I think it was just a matter of my personal preference. Many of my book club members enjoyed the book. According to my Kindle, I made it 57% of the way into it before I stopped reading. I typically read a book in two or three days if I get into it and can't put it down. This book I read for a week week straight before bed and just could not get into it - I found it slow. I don't want to give away any plot lines by giving specifics but I did not agree with the decision the main characters made and giving the nature of their location - not much really happens for sections of the book. Most of my book club said it gets better. I own the ebook so I could finish it, but after the meeting I inevitably heard how it ended and just have zero desire to finish it.

It will certainly generate a great discussion within your book club, I bet.

I have this one on my summer read list. I'm looking forward to forming my own opinion of this one. Seems like it's a love or hate relationship, lol.

Book 33 The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth

From goodreads: An unforgettable story of the joy of motherhood, the bravery of a community, and the hope of one extraordinary woman

FANTASTIC book - I gave it 5 stars (which I rarely do). This is a non-fiction book with such vivid descriptions and quirky characters - you feel like you are in London's East End after WWII. This is the book the series Call the Midwife is based on (Sundays PBS here in the states). I had never heard of the series or book before this was selected for book club and I groaned when I heard the selection - I did not want to read about midwifery....so glad I was so wrong!!! There is one story in the book I wish I could "unsee" because it was disturbing but not even that segment would deter me from recommending this book to every woman I know.

Thanks for the great review! I'm going to check this one out on Goodreads. :thumbsup2

Have you read SHIFT? That's the "Sequel" to the Wool Series. I think each of them are in 5 parts. I agree the first 5 parts of Wool seemed like one book, but then I had no desire to read SHIFT afterwards!

And it is getting increasingly hard to find books that the author doesn't want to continue with past more than one book. I just realized that ALL of the books in the list above are series with more than one volume! And I have no desire to read the second volume of any of them. It's not that I didn't enjoy the book, it's that I didn't enjoy the book enough, I guess. ;) Nothing has been like, "I MUST continue on and find out how this turns out!". I guess I don't care enough.

I didn't realize there was a sequel. Ugh, lol.

I'm getting to the point that I don't add books to my "to read" list if I find out they are part of a series. They have to have EXTRAORDINARY reviews to get put on my list, lol. I am so done with series books.

Goal = 40

#19 - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pa...qid=1365636875&sr=1-1&keywords=wild+from+lost)
This is the non-fiction story of one woman's attempt to hike the length of California via the Pacific Crest Trail. She set out after a series of personal setbacks and disappointments, including the dissolution of her marriage and the death of her mother. I was surprised at how much this book kept my interest.

This one has been on my list for SO long. I keep it there because it keeps getting consistently great reviews, but just doesn't seem like my type of book since I'm NOT into hiking or anything outdoorsy for that matter...

Re: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

This one has been on my list for SO long. I keep it there because it keeps getting consistently great reviews, but just doesn't seem like my type of book since I'm NOT into hiking or anything outdoorsy for that matter...

I rarely read non fiction, but this was a very good book!! More about the person coming to terms with her past than about hiking. I found it very interesting.

Goal 72

#25 The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom

Conrad & Joanna attempt to save their marriage by leaving the pressures of the city to start anew in a quiet rural setting. They buy a Victorian mansion that once served as a haven for unwed mothers.
Thus begins a story of possession, sexual obsession & ultimately murder.

To be blunt, this was just a stupid book, lol. I think the author must have started out with a good idea then started doing crack. Oh, wait, maybe it would have been better if he was smoking something, lol.
Do you ever wonder about the reviews on the back jacket of a book that are written by other authors??? The ones that rave about how good the book is??
I give this a minus 5 stars..

Finished book #22- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

This book was okay. A little different & interesting. 3.5 out of 5

It takes a graveyard to raise a child.
Nobody Owens, known as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a graveyard, being raised by ghosts, with a guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor the dead. There are adventures in the graveyard for a boyan ancient Indigo Man, a gateway to the abandoned city of ghouls, the strange and terrible Sleer. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, he will be in danger from the man Jackwho has already killed Bod's family.

Next book: The Light Between Oceans (for my book club)

Eek! Can’t believe I haven’t been on this thread in more than 2 months. I have gone through phases of reading lots of books and then wading through the piles of free magazines that we receive each week. Here are my updates:

19/52 – The Wreck by Marie Force – Another interesting and suspenseful book by an author who has become one of my favorites.

20/52 – Georgia on My Mind – Fun, sexy romance with an absolutely adorable, quirky, sexy male lead and an endearing female lead.

21/52 – The Wedding Gift
22/52 – The Wedding Dance
23/52 – The Wedding Song

##21-23 are all by Lucy Kevin. I thought they’d be similar to the Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts, but let’s face it – it’s hard for other authors to live up to that standard. ;) LOL!!! Even so, this was a nice series with well developed characters, with stories revolving around a beautiful wedding venue.

24/52 – Close to You (A Laurel Heights novel) –by Kate Perry. Light read. Fun. Part of a series. I got it free on Kindle and then bought another in the series for $.99, and enjoyed it too, but probably will read some other stuff before reading any more of this series.

25/52 – Noah (5th Street #1) by Elizabeth Reyes – Another Kindle freebie. Had some sweet, romantic parts; revolves around a boxing gym. In particular this is a May/December romance where the woman is older.

26/52 – Return to You (A Laurel Heights novel) by Kate Perry. Another in the series. Nice story. Likeable characters with satisfying continuity from the earlier book.

27/52 – Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett - This is a YA romance involving college-aged characters. The story line was interesting and the characters were really likeable. I’d definitely read other books by this author.

28/52 – Save Me (novella) by Liz Appel – Not much substance, maybe due to the length. Just okay, but I might give this author another try at some point.

29/52 – Hoping for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, book 5) by Marie Force – I really like this author. And I really like series where you get to know the characters better as their lives progress through successive stories.

30/52 – The Frog Prince (A Romantic Comedy) by Elle Lothlorien – I wasn’t sure about this based on the description, but it was a wonderful, fun and funny story and romantic (but not trashy).

31/52 – The Shoemaker’s Wife by Adriana Trigiani – LOVED this. :thumbsup2 The story begins in the mountains in Italy and follows the lives of two characters from childhood through adulthood. There is so much rich description of beautiful places in Italy (my heritage) and Little Italy in Brooklyn, NY (where my father arrived when he immigrated from Naples, Italy and where I spent the first couple years of my life). I’d give this one 5 stars.

32/52- Full Circle by Mona Ingram – Another wonderful Kindle freebie that will get me reading other books by this author.

33/52 – Come a Little Closer (the Sullivans series) by Bella Andre – LOVE this series. LOVE this author. :goodvibes Wonderfully developed characters in heartwarming romantic stories.

34/52 – Always On My Mind (the Sullivans series) by Bella Andre – Have I mentioned that I love this series and love this author? :lovestruc I usually read them as soon as they are released; not sure how I missed one and had two to read back-to-back, but it meant a few days of reading bliss in Sullivan-land.

35/52 – Across the Creek (Jesse & Sarah) by Jeremy Asher – Good story with wonderful characters. Kindle freebie in advance of the sequel’s publication. Enjoyed it and will buy the sequel.

36/52 – Living by Ear by Mary Rowen – Some of it was good. Some of it was okay. The ending was “meh”.

37/52 – The Parent Pact by Laurie Kellogg – Kindle freebie. Okay, but predictable.

(uncounted) – Tempting Fate by Lisa Mondello – For some reason, this one didn’t sustain my interest and I abandoned it at about a third of the way through. Maybe I’ll go back to it at some point, but for now, I’m not even counting it as read.

38/52 – Cop of the Year by Kathryn Shay – I usually read very contemporary stories but this one takes place in the late 90s and it is interesting to see how certain story lines might have turned out differently with the benefit of some of today’s technologies. The story was wonderful about a high school teacher who teaches at-risk kids and a police officer who is a Vietnam veteran. I’d definitely read more by this author.

I have lots of fun books loaded to my Kindle for an upcoming vacation. The challenge is to not read them before I head to the airport in 8 days. LOL! I am currently reading the first of the two "Valentina" books by Adriana Trigiani, so I think those may keep me busy (besides packing). :)

This is not a book I would have ever chosen for myself but really enjoyed. I gave it 4 stars on goodreads. Like you threeboysmom I an not an outdoorsy type and don't plan on hiking anytime...ever

Re: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

Goal 72

#25 The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom

To be blunt, this was just a stupid book, lol. I think the author must have started out with a good idea then started doing crack. Oh, wait, maybe it would have been better if he was smoking something, lol.
Do you ever wonder about the reviews on the back jacket of a book that are written by other authors??? The ones that rave about how good the book is??
I give this a minus 5 stars..

Your review totally cracked me up! :rotfl2:

Finished #13 out of 50 (gosh, I'm behind now that I've upped my goal!)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

No summary needed, I'm sure. I think this was my favorite of all the Potter books so far. Definitely taking a turn down the dark side now. I'll probably get back to this series and finish out #6 and #7 next fall or winter. I can't do back-to-back books like some of you.

Goal = 40

Book #19 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
I have been reading this to my DD8 at night....we started in January and finished last night! It's a long one!

I am almost halfway to my goal and it is only April! I think I need to increase my goal to 50 if possible. Thanks!

Book16 close your eyes

Sierra's heart stops, knowing the voice that just addressed her is oddly familiar. Holding her breath, Sierra slowly turns and looks into the face she's been carrying around in her memory for months Paul's.
With eyes closed, Sierra wonders if God is tired of hearing all her prayers for the unattainable Paul until a school volunteer project at a homeless shelter opens her eyes to some needy children and to Paul working there! Brief conversations with him confirm her hopes that there is definitely some kind of unique attraction between them.

In the meantime, she's enjoying her growing friendship with Randy, but gets caught in a sticky situation when Paul comes over for dinner and Randy shows up at the same time. When Paul tells her he'd like to talk to her, Sierra's sure this is the dream date she's been praying for.

While listening to powerful lyrics at a concert featuring the popular music group Sierra, will she learn to trust God with her feelings for Paul and Randy?

Ot sorry for the delay my work days have been extra long

Book 17 of 30

The Watcher: A Romantic Thriller by Jo Robertson

Forensic psychiatrist Kate Myers believes the killer of two teenage girls in Bigler County, California, is the same man who savagely murdered her twin sister over fifteen years ago. Working on sheer tenacity, she sets out to prove it. Deputy Sheriff Ben Slater hides his personal pain behind the job, but Kate's arrival knocks his world on its axis. He wants to believe her wild theory, but the idea of a serial killer with this pathology is bizarre. Together they work to find a killer whose roots began in a small town in Bigler County, but whose violence spread across the nation. A Janus-like killer, more monster than man, fixates on Kate and wants nothing more than to kill her "again."

Book #31 The Wise Women of Havana by Jose Raul Bernardo

Review: I don't know how I feel about this book. It was well-written, the descriptions were wonderful and the anecdotes about other characters were interesting if unneeded and plot was well-constructed but...I just feel unsettled by the book as it brings up the subject of abortion. There were some parts I felt a little disturbed about but it is an engaging story full of a flavor that I cannot identify.

The book is about two women, Lolo and Margarita. Margarita is newly married to Lorenzo and feels uneasy and perhaps a little threatened by her sister-in-law,Lolo. At first I didn't like Lolo but as the book went on I at least understood her. The family drama that unfolds here made me feel unsettled about the book and the resentment and anger that Margarita has about Lolo is finished almost too neatly near the end of the book.

Honestly, I don't know if I would suggest it. It is good and engaging but something seems....off about this book.

Goal: 52 books this year

#25 down and done.

A World Without Darcy by C. Rafe Carlson takes a page from the screenplay of It's A Wonderful Life. Still chafing several months after Elizabeth's refusal of his proposal of marriage, Darcy leaves a party where Elizabeth is being courted by one of many suitors considered unworthy by Mr. Darcy. Angrily storming through the park to clear his head, he comes upon "Charlie," who was to change Darcy's life. Is the change for the better? Will Mr Darcy become a better person or a bitter person? The story is kind of formulaic, but I love Jane Austen "sequels" and since Jane Austen is dead...

Queen Colleen

I just finished "Return to Willow Lake" by Susan Wiggs. I usually like the author, and this book definitely didn't disappoint. It was one of those books that you hate it to end, but you love it so much, you just can't stop reading. I love her devotion to family, and I love that she ended up with the guy who'd always stuck by her, her best friend.

Goal 40, Book 8: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I don't think I need to post the summary. I saw that a number of people here had read it so I decided to give it a try. I really liked this for the first 80% or so. I liked the descriptions of the circus, the midnight dinners, and many of the characters. The book fell short for me in the ending. I feel like the author had a great idea that she didn't know how to write an ending for so she just wrapped it up in a way that didn't follow the internal logic of her story. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it so much up until that point that I feel like it deserves 4 stars from me.

Next up I return to The Hangman's Daughter series The Dark Monk.

12/30 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

No need to do a summary as I think I was the only one left who hadn't read this. :laughing: I enjoyed it all the way up until the end and then I was like whaaat? Still a solid read even though it didn't end the way I wanted it to.

4/5 stars

#5 Around the World in 80 Days - Jules Verne

Read it at the same time as my daughter. Was and will always be one of my favorite books, she enjoyed it but not as much as I did.

Book 17 with this ring

Let the fun begin! As Sierra and her Southern California friends gather for the Big Event Doug and Tracy's wedding Sierra ponders the meaning of first kisses, lifetime commitments and pledge of love.

Wedding bells are ringing in Sierra's head. She's excited to visit Southern California and join Christy Miller and friends for the event they've all been waiting for: Tracy and Doug are finally going to tie the know.

As the prenuptial celebration gets underway, Sierra is caught up in a swirl of wedding gifts, bridal preparations and heart-to-heart discussions about virtue and purity. Meanwhile, the guys stir up some pre-wedding shenanigans that include a dressed-up chicken, a ball and chain and, quite by accident, a broken foot.

Once the Big Event arrives, Sierra takes a good look around the church and can't help but notice everyone is in love! Doug and Tracy, of course, are head over heels; Christy and Todd have a fair share of love's twinkle dust sprinkled on them; Katie's infatuated; and even Sierra's sister, Tawni, has a sweetheart. Glancing down at the new, gold purity ring from her dad, Sierra makes a vow of her own: to save herself for her future mate. But she worries that her best friend, Amy, is settling for less than God's best by dating and kissing that flirtatious co-worker at the restaurant.

Amid the I dos and Doug and Tracy's first kiss, Sierra finds herself thinking about Paul, the mystery man who now lives

#17 - The Dinner, Herman Koch -
Per Amazon - "An internationally bestselling phenomenon: the darkly suspenseful, highly controversial tale of two families struggling to make the hardest decision of their lives -- all over the course of one meal.

It's a summer's evening in Amsterdam, and two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant for dinner. Between mouthfuls of food and over the polite scrapings of cutlery, the conversation remains a gentle hum of polite discourse -- the banality of work, the triviality of the holidays. But behind the empty words, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened."

They call it a "European Gone Girl" but it is much more similar to Defending Jacob if anything. It was good but not as good as Gone Girl or Defending Jacob. I could not get as wrapped up in the suspense as the description.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter