Your first trip to Disney, what you remember ?

1975 I was 9. Only had 1 day.
It was raining and my Mom slipped in front of Swiss Family Robinson---she hit hard but by golly, she kept her cigarette up and didn't even lose the ash :)
Being totally amazed at the 20,000 Leagues ride. So sad its gone.
My Mom getting so excited seeing Pooh in the parade and my sister and I teasing her--My Dad then fussing at us to shut up and let our mother have her fun.
My Dad being willing to stand in line for over an hour for Space Mountain. He wasn't that kind of guy.
Having mixed feelings about my sister getting chosen to "pilot" the Jungle Cruise. Kind of wanted to be picked but knew I would have died of embarrassment if I had been chosen.
Had our camera stolen so we don't have any pictures :(

We went when I was around 7 or 8, my brother was 2ish. It would have been around 1977 or 1978.

My Dad was a CHEAP traveler and I do mean CHEAP. We went to a lot of places and just walked around doing whatever we could do for free, he'd never pay for tickets or entrance fees. We hadn't traveled a lot, but that's what I was used to. When he said we were going to Florida and would go to Disney World "if it isn't too expensive," I honestly expected we'd just walk around the fence and look at whatever we could see from outside. My little 7 year old self about passed out when he actually paid for the tickets, especially after hearing the cost.

I remember:

My mother being terrified of the drop in Pirates and holding onto my brother for dear life.

Eating sandwiches from a cooler in the car.

Being terrified of Haunted Mansion, had nightmares about the poor terrified dog for years.

Looking at the ticket book to figure out what to do next.

Buying souvineers with some money my Grandfather gave us, we both got plastic cups with our names on them, used them for years.

We went to Disneyland when I was 15 months old while we were in CA for my aunt's wedding. I don't remember any of it firsthand. Apparently I didn't trust my parents so much after they brought me on Pirates (my mom had only been on it in WDW and didn't realize the drops were bigger) and latched on to my grandmother for the rest of the time.

We went to WDW for the first time when I was 6. We stayed at POFQ and ate breakfast at Bomfamilles every day and I fell in love with beignets.
Oh! A family friend had bet my two older sisters that they wouldn't do Humunga Kowabunga at Typhoon Lagoon. When we got the the water park my dad asked if I wanted to do it so I did. I was annoyed that I didn't get to cash in on the bet since I was even younger than they were!

I remember riding the boat and seeing Cinderella's castle looming in the distance and being so excited! I remember riding Dumbo with my Mom and waving at my Dad and brothers in another elephant. I was sure we were going higher than them and was disappointed when my Dad told me later that I wasn't--that all the elephants went the same height. I'm sure he just said that to pacify my brothers that their sister had NOT gone higher than them. I was the only child tall enough (just barely) to ride Space Mountain and my Mom doesn't ride coasters, so I felt very grown up riding alone with my Dad. He thought I would be scared (I was a little afraid of the dark) and when we got in the car he told me he was going to hold onto my foot. But then I felt like that was cheating to have my Dad holding my foot on a roller coaster and I wanted to be brave so I told him to let go. He didn't hear me so I yelled it but by that time we were off and it was louder. He heard me yelling but couldn't hear WHAT I was yelling so he just held my foot a little tighter to reassure me because he thought I was scared. Finally he heard what I was saying and let go of my foot but I was quite indignant at the end.

For lunch we had brought in a bag of sandwiches--Mom took the bread out of a bread bag, made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches out of it and packed them back in the bread bag--and a can of Hi-C that my Dad opened with the can opener on his key ring. At that point we could drink our fill of orange Hi-C because we couldn't re-seal the can, but the rest of the day it was water from the fountains. My parents did splurge on Mickey Bars for us kids, and that was the best thing ever! I remember holding mine and just looking at it, thinking it was too cute to eat. As it started to melt my Mom asked me if I didn't like it because I wasn't eating it. I knew how much my Mom loved ice cream and that they didn't buy one for themselves because they were expensive, and I thought about saying I didn't like it so she could have it but I really did, so I said I liked it but was full from the sandwiches and Hi-C so maybe we could share it.

I remember riding the train and a nice old couple were seated across from us and they gave my parents a book of tickets that had barely been used. They said that all they really enjoyed was the train and walking around and looking at things and that they had had enough, and we looked a nice family and maybe we could use the rest of the tickets. Boy could we! Our family didn't have a lot of disposable income at the time so that was a windfall for us.

For dinner we ate at Pinnochio Haus. I usually have a fantastic memory for food but I can't for the life of me remember what we ate that night because I was mesmerized by the view from our table looking out over Small World. I waved at every boat as it went by.

I remember riding the monorail and I don't know why--maybe when we left the park? It seemed like an actual ride at the time, like for fun, not to get anywhere. But I remember riding through the Contemporary and being utterly amazed at the grandeur. A hotel with a train going right through it! I thought about how incredible it would be to stay in a hotel like that some day, and it seemed so unattainable (we stayed in our camper in a gas station parking lot). When I finally did get to stay there a couple years ago it felt like a goal had been attained but was kind of anticlimactic at the same time--but that time I'd stayed in many hotels far nicer. I still love that place though!

It was 1984 and I was 19 (almost 20). DH and I had been married about a year and his parents took us. We stayed in Deltona , Fl because we stopped there the night before in a raging thunderstorm to spend the night. The hotel people told us (lied) that we were "close to everything". And my in-laws didn't want to pack the car and unpack again. :o We finally made it to MK and FIL kept saying it wasn't as good as Carowinds. We rode 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, If You Had Wings, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Wedway PeopleMover, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and maybe Carousel of Progress. We were in Tomorrowland Terrace (Cosmic Ray's now) and I saw Mickey walking by with his handlers. I totally fangirled and ran out of the restaurant for a hug. DH had no idea where I was. lol It was a great trip!

ETA: We saw the Tiki Room show and DFIL thought it was really storming and raining outside. 😝

Last edited:
I remember EPCOT under construction. But I'm not even sure if that was my first trip. It's my oldest memory of the park.

In 1980 I vaguely remember seeing a model display somewhere in the MK of what Epcot was supposed to look like when it opened.

My first visit to DisneyLAND wasn't until 2015 despite visiting the LA area 7 or 8 times previously. I remember how "easier" everything seemed to be in general compared to Orlando. Specifically I remember a girl screaming bloody murder on Mickey's Death Wheel that she wanted off of the sliding cars. The ride stopped to let her party off and then resumed.

My 7 year old self was enthralled with any and everything about the Magic Kingdom in August of 1972. Loved riding around on the gleaming, modern monorail. Remember the excitement of arrival building as more magical topiaries appeared as we got closer and closer. Remember my cool white cloth cowboy hat with the Mickey emblem on the front blowing off when our teacup spun round and round in a flash. Probably my strongest memory was walking out from the entrance tunnel onto the beginning of Main Street, seeing the castle up ahead and not hesitating the moment I was given the ability to decide where we were headed by my parents. No idea if I'd absorbed every single detail from the WDW grand opening TV special or what, but somehow I knew where to turn to find whatever it was I wanted as if I'd been there dozens of times already. To this day whenever I hear the term deja vu that's precisely where my mind travels -- even if I still cannot explain how it was possible.

In 1980 I vaguely remember seeing a model display somewhere in the MK of what Epcot was supposed to look like when it opened.

My first visit to DisneyLAND wasn't until 2015 despite visiting the LA area 7 or 8 times previously. I remember how "easier" everything seemed to be in general compared to Orlando. Specifically I remember a girl screaming bloody murder on Mickey's Death Wheel that she wanted off of the sliding cars. The ride stopped to let her party off and then resumed.

We went on it for the first time last vacation. My kid insisted on going on a sliding car. Fortunately we didn't need the barf bag (there was one left).

Disneyland 1965. I was 9. Sisters were a bit older. We stayed with distant relatives in San pedro and went to the park for one day. We each got one small ticket bool and then Dada bought a couple of Extra E tickets for each of us. I think Tiki Room was an E ticket then and not the upcharge "F" ticket. I remember the Tiki Room the best as it had been showcased on the Wonderful World of Color and I couldn't wait for the thunderstorm!!! We rode the Matterhorn first. I was with Dad in one Bobsled and Mom was with my sisters in the one in front of us. Mom was 6'1" and I was sure her head was hitting the roof of the little caves we went through! Mine Train through Natures Wonderland and the Rainbow Caverns became a favorite. I don't remember driving Autopia but we have the photo. We ate lunch at the old Carnation Gardens next to the castle. Photos show sunburned and tired kids munching on french fries.

I went with my dad as a kid. I vividly remember Haunted Mansion and I was so excited to go on Space Mountain as I was obsessed with space stuff. I loved it! The most vivid memory though was drinking a strawberry milkshake at Epcot and then throwing up a big pink splatter right at the door to Captain EO which was brand new that year so there was a line out the door. The CMs were super nice about it, brought me inside, gave me water, etc. I didn't realize it then, but today I recognize just how kind they were despite all they had to deal with.

First visit was in 1979 after a Carnival Cruise (honeymoon) out of Miami. Hubby & I took a bus on an overnight package from our Ft Lauderdale hotel.

My first lasting memory was coming out of the tunnel under the train station and entering the town square being transported to a time long in the past. Then I laid eyes on the castle 🏰 💖

In that moment I felt the magic and cried my first “disney tears”... I still shed those same tears upon entering the MK every. single. trip. 🙄

There have been so very many memories over the years... I’m so blessed to have shared my love of all things Disney with my daughters and my grandkids. (I’ve done my part to ensure that Disneyworld always has future customers 😉)

✨💫✨💫✨

In 1986 (I had just turned 11). I remember going across the ferry and walking into Magic Kingdom. Watching the parade and being so excited to see Donald Duck. Our 2nd day at MK, DM, DSis and I raced over the Space Mountain - I remember practically running at rope drop then after we got off my DM and Dsis laughing about how scared I looked. I remember meeting Mickey at his house, I was kissed by Jiminy Cricket at EPCOT (which no lines then and I we were walking up to him and other kids pushed in front of us but he came over to the 3 of us and kissed me on the cheek twice because my dad missed it on camera the first time). My dad had my grandfather's old time camera and I remember him having us pose everywhere - and you had to be extremely still because it took forever! Riding the pirate ride and being stuck under the "dirty foot". The only other thing I remembered about EPCOT was a car show that was going on and we have pictures of us sitting in various cars. My mom said all the 3 of us kids did at EPCOT was complain that we were hot and tired and that we wanted to go back and swim.

We went on it for the first time last vacation. My kid insisted on going on a sliding car. Fortunately we didn't need the barf bag (there was one left).

Yeah, I admit it was a bit unnerving when the car started to slide but I enjoyed the motion after a few seconds.

I rode Coney Island's Wonder Wheel 35+ years ago but really didn't remember the sensation of it.

I remember riding the train and a nice old couple were seated across from us and they gave my parents a book of tickets that had barely been used. They said that all they really enjoyed was the train and walking around and looking at things and that they had had enough, and we looked a nice family and maybe we could use the rest of the tickets. Boy could we! Our family didn't have a lot of disposable income at the time so that was a windfall for us.

ya know what, my mind just runs with a thought, I bet the nice old couple had some disposable income , and they looked at your family and knew that hadf to be expensive and just wanted to help out. I hope the old couple had/has a great happy life

My mother did everything wrong. Go right at opening then.... Eat a big breakfast during the best touring time of the day. Go to the shows first, and do all the big rides later. There wasn't any fast pass then so we hit Space Mountain with 2 hour lines. Uggh. But it was still fun and the worst day at Disneyland was better than the best day at school. And we did get to go to union parties which were much better on the lines.

Scupperized summary:

1. Didn't go until I was 40. Our family couldn't afford to go when I was younger, then when I was an adult I had no interest in going because you just waited in long lines the whole time. When I learned about touring plans and FP, decided to give it a shot with the family.

2. Hurricane Charley hit while we were there (Day 6 of our trip). We missed a park day the day it passed through and only got 1/2 day the next day, but was amazed how quickly Disney got the parks back up and running again.

3. We were planning on flying home but no flights were going in or out. We found a place we could get cell reception and the car rental folks said we could keep our rental and waived the drop off fee, so we drove home.

4. I was blown away by the quality of the service and beauty of the parks, became a big WDW fan from then on.

5. We'd get back from the parks around the time That 70s Show came on. We'd never watched it before but became big fans after that trip. Whenever I see That 70s Show on TV I think about that 1st WDW trip.

6. We made a lot of rookie mistakes, basically wasted 2 of our 5-day tickets, but set the stage for coming back for another trip 2 years later, which we all remember as our favorite vacation ever.

Last edited:
First time at WDW was 1976. I was 13. I remember the year because they had a bicentennial themed parade with the characters in colonial garb. We also saw the Easter parade. It was spring break, yet from what I recall, was not super crowded. MK was the only park. My favorite rides were POTC, Haunted Mansion, 20,000 Leagues and Space Mountain. I remember eating lunch and watching the show with the can can girls at the Diamond Horseshoe Revue, and drinking orange juice with a straw from those little plastic oranges.

We stayed onsite at Fort Wilderness. I remember the little train that took you around the campsite. I remember my mom freaking out one night when she saw an armadillo! River Country was under construction but not open yet. We went to the Polynesian to use the pool and beach, and watched the electric water pageant and a water skiing show from there. We loved riding on the monorail and thought the Contemporary hotel was so cool and futuristic.

I just read through everyone's memories! I loved reading them all! So many wonderful detailed stories! Like so many of you my first trip was when I was younger for a one day trip and there was only Magic Kingdom. I think it was in 1977 or somewhere around that time. None of the other parks existed yet. We drove down in our old station wagon. I had to sit in the middle seat because I got car sick and we stayed at a motel off site that was still being constructed so the pool was not yet open. Such a huge disappointment for all of us!

I remember parking in the HUGE parking lot and being us being in the Dale row, riding on the tram to the TCC where we rode the ferry across the lake and then walking under the gate opening and seeing Main Street for the first time after hearing Walt talk about it and Disneyland on Wonderful World of Disney. It was amazing to actually be there and see it for myself! I remember just vaguely my parents discussing what rides we would use our E tickets on.

One of my first rides was Peter Pan, I was a bit scared to climb aboard the ship and go on the ride but it was so magical being lifted into the air and seeing the beauty of the London city scene so far below us and the scene of Tiger Lily and the pirates. It is still my top ride today! I get the same type of feeling today.

It's a Small World enchanted me with all the sweet dolls singing and I love the song and still do!. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was so much fun! I loved how the car was zooming all around and barely missed crashing into things. I would love to go to Disneyland just so I can ride it again. The other things I remember doing are: the Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Tomorrowland Speedway. I was too scared to go on 20,000 Leagues under the sea and too scared for Space Mountain as well. I rode Snow White's Adventure but it was a bit scary, especially for my younger brother.

I remember spending a long time out on Tom Sawyer's Island with my brother running ahead of us. We also got to see the Tikki room too and I remember all the colorful birds swinging on their bars right above our heads. And I remember all of us going on Pirates of the Caribbean. The scenes that stood out to me was the one where the lady was chasing the pirate and then the ending scene with the cute dog holding the key in his mouth.

We stayed until dark, I am not sure if we made it to the actually closing of the park that day, but I do remember it was dark and we were all exhausted but we had such a wonderful time together.

I was 3 on my first trip to WDW so I don’t remember anything. My second trip I was 8, and I remember the scary alien ride that eventually became the Stitch ride (mid-90s). It was terrifying. I remember getting pictures and autographs with Chip ‘n’ Dale in the parks and a character breakfast with Goofy. Our room was at the very end of a hallway, I think maybe at AOA? I have never seen pictures from either trip and didn’t return until my mid 20s (2014).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter