Yorkshire County Fish Shop - What kink of fish?

I think it's still the tilapia since they raise them there. And my son had the fish in chips back in May and he said it tasted bad and not like it used to taste - so that must be the tilapia and not the cod since he will eat the cod! Tilapia is gross!

Reactions: cm8

tilapia is a wonderful light flaky white fish. However not good for frying. I seriously doubt they are frying that if your getting big hunks fish. More likely if its bad they are using old frozen pieces of cod maybe halibut. I have no opinion as haven't eaten there recently but plan to try in Oct. And also catfish would be very available and cheap but if not cleaned properly would be nasty.

Last edited:

Yuck! Tilapia isn't good for you (bad type of fats I guess), even though I used to cook it a LONG time ago when I didn't know. DH hates it. I liked the cod, but haven't been back to try since the switch.

tilapia is a wonderful light flaky white fish. However not good for frying. I seriously doubt they are frying that if your getting big hunks fish. More likely if its bad they are using old frozen pieces of cod maybe halibut. I have no opinion as haven't eaten there recently but plan to try in Oct. And also catfish would be very available and cheap but if not cleaned properly would be nasty.

That's kind of the point: it is not good for frying and so the fried tilapia there tastes gross. You can see in the pictures if you google search and look at images they are actually thin, like chicken strips, which is consistent with the thickness of tilapia filets.

Think about this. They're using around a 5oz portion of a $2.75 lb piece of fish, throwing on maybe 35 cents worth of fries and charging $11.50 an order. Figure in labor, plates, condiments etc. and that's about an $8-$9 profit per order sold. Add a beer and that profit jumps to about $16 per. There are some really nice frozen Icelandic Cod and Haddock options available to them for about $4.00 lb that they could easily switch to thus enhancing the customer's experience for about 40 cents a portion more. It's a shame really.

Yuck! Tilapia isn't good for you (bad type of fats I guess), even though I used to cook it a LONG time ago when I didn't know. DH hates it. I liked the cod, but haven't been back to try since the switch.
I'm guessing you are basing some of your thoughts on a 15 odd year old limited study that has not yet been duplicated; much controversy surrounding it in the scientific community and food industry.

As I recall it states that Omega 3 fats are better for you and tilapia is lower in them and higher in Omega-6. I agree with that portion of the study and thus eat more salmon. On the other hand, cod and all known varieties of farmed tilapia, have low levels of Omega-3 fat so if that's your concern, eating cod or tilapia won't make much difference as both are lower in Omega-3 fat.

The Brits also use other fishes besides cod to make fish and chips and at this point are importing cod from Iceland as just like Canada and the US the fish has declined in availability in their waters.

I wouldn't say fried anything is particularly healthy to eat (chicken nuggets anyone?:D) on a regular basis but I'm fine with our occasional eating pig out on Yorkshire County's fish and chips:).

Last edited:
Tilapia is a popular buy at the Chinese supermarkets here in Toronto since it’s inexpensive and it’s neutral taste makes it a bit adaptable to various flavours.

Tilapia is a popular buy at the Chinese supermarkets here in Toronto since it’s inexpensive and it’s neutral taste makes it a bit adaptable to various flavours.
Falls in line with the trend in 1st world countries where tilapia is the number one fish eaten in quantity by the majority of the population.

We had Yorkshire last month. One of dozens of visits over many, many years. I haven’t noticed any significant difference in taste. It’s always great.

That's kind of the point: it is not good for frying and so the fried tilapia there tastes gross. You can see in the pictures if you google search and look at images they are actually thin, like chicken strips, which is consistent with the thickness of tilapia filets.
So out of curiosity I did a search for fish and chips with tilapia and I got a recipe for “Chips and Fish” from... Alton Brown.

Which of course tells us nothing about the fish being used at Yorkshire, but we know that at least one well known food expert is ok with frying tilapia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!