Yet Another Trip - Just Can't Get Enough! Complete: Wolfgang Puck Express!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Both of those statements are exaggerations, but this trip definitely showed me the two sides of Le Cellier that are so often reported on the boards. One meal was an excellent lunch, while the other was just okay and not really worth the hype that is associated with this place.

I was happy that I was able to make two Le Cellier lunch bookings on such short notice. After skipping my lunch here on the last trip, I wanted to have 2 meals in order to try some of the things I haven't tried. In addition, Le Cellier recently changed the lunch menu to feature more summer-inspired dishes, so I knew that some of the dishes were brand new.

I actually forgot to take a pic of the menu, so I took a screenshot from the WDW website instead. At least it's a lot clearer than my camera pic would've been :rotfl:

Screenshot2011-07-09at103248PM.png

I think the gardens, rock work, and water outside of Le Cellier are really beautiful.

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

And I couldn't resist taking a pic of the adorable ducks outside (I guess before they get turned into those scrumptious duck meatballs?)

IMG_1068.jpg

Le Cellier Entrance Podium:

IMG_0909.jpg

Both meals included the enjoyable Le Cellier sourdough, multigrain, and pretzel bread. I don't think the pretzel bread tastes especially amazing, but it's really nice to have a variety of breads to choose from. I really like the multigrain since it has small seeds that add to the texture, but the pretzel bread is really soft and has some crunchy salt on the crust. :goodvibes

Bread Basket #1

IMG_0910.jpg

The first day, I went with the prix fixe menu, which includes some popular choices but also less expensive entrees. My appetizer choice was the spicy chicken and chipotle sausage with roasted corn polenta and sweet onion jam. I've had this before and really like it - the sausage is spicy, but the polenta is really creamy and sweet. The greens add a refreshing crunch.

IMG_0913.jpg

For an entree, I picked the steak and potato skillet with mushrooms and a salad of arugula and tomato (I got the salad without the blue cheese). It was pretty good - the salad had a unique flavor from the fennel, and the beef (which was apparently sirloin) was seasoned well and didn't have a lot of fat on it (which I like). I guess I was expecting the potatoes to be more roasted in flavor. Instead they reminded me of creamy, slightly oily breakfast potatoes. I wouldn't order this again, as it just didn't taste that special to me.

IMG_0916.jpg

Finally, I chose the maple crème brûlée for dessert. I haven't had this in a few years, and I really liked that the maple flavor didn't make it too sweet. However, I think the custard could've been served colder, and the crust could've been slightly thicker (not burnt, but I still wanted more texture contrast). It tasted good, which is what matters most.

IMG_0917.jpg

For what it's worth, this was the more disappointing lunch. If I had made a reservation 6 months in advance at 6 AM just to eat that food, I wouldn't have thought the food was bad, but I would've wondered why this place is so popular. In actuality, I know there are better options (for me) on the menu, and I just need to stop ordering the prix fixe menu. Whenever I do, I'm never that happy with my entree or dessert selection.

The next day, I returned for my second lunch. This time, I knew I would order exactly what I wanted instead of choosing to save money.

Bread Basket #2

IMG_1076.jpg

My appetizer choice was the new marinated yellowfin tuna with Thai basil, chili pepper, snap peas, and ponzu dressing. I loved this starter. There wasn't an overwhelming taste of soy sauce, the snap peas added a crispy texture, and the chilis delivered a boost of spice. What really made the dish work for me were the little pieces of crunchy sea salt (barely visible on the tuna slices). Crunchy sea salt can do wonders for a dish, and I would happily order this again. :cloud9:

IMG_1078.jpg

For an entree, I went with the mushroom filet mignon with white truffle butter sauce. This time, I ordered the cream cheese mashed potatoes in place of the risotto for the first time. I just can't say anything bad about this. The meat was tender and cooked to my liking (and with basically no extra fatty parts), the truffle butter added a great earthy flavor (I just love the taste of truffle), and the mashed potatoes were very creamy. I think I prefer the mushroom risotto, but I definitely wasn't unhappy with this! :goodvibes

IMG_1080.jpg

My dessert was the chocolate-on-chocolate whiskey cake finished with honey-thyme anglaise and a chocolate-walnut sauce. This was just an excellent chocolate cake, with layers of light mousse and rich cake. The honey-thyme anglaise added an extremely subtle herbal note - not too much, but just enough to make it interesting for me. You wouldn't think a heavy dessert would be so enjoyable after a heavy entree, but I happily finished most of it.

IMG_1081.jpg

The service was very good at both meals - both Jill and Darcie were really friendly and provided a lot of water refills (Darcie even recognized me from a few months ago, and she told me a hilarious story about taking a huge bite of a whole chili pepper when they were trying out that tuna dish for the first time).

In terms of food, my second lunch was more enjoyable than the first. I went there on two consecutive days and ordered different things, and my impressions of the food are vastly different. I am pretty convinced that Le Cellier is still one of the best 1-credit restaurants available, even though the menu does have some weaker choices on it. I've had my ups and downs here over the years (I've even diagnosed myself with LCBD - Le Cellier bipolar disorder :sad1::cloud9:), but most of my recent meals have been ups. As such, I'll continue to come to Le Cellier, whether OOP or on the DDP. :thumbsup2

For my last Le Cellier pic, here are the different lunch desserts on display (excluding the chocolate moose and campfire s'more). From left to right: maple crème brûlée, chocolate whiskey cake, no-sugar-added chocolate mousse, bumbleberry cobbler, Mont Blanc semifreddo, seasonal sorbet.

IMG_1083.jpg

Thanks for the LeCellier reviews. We skipped it last year and aren't going this year, but next year I definitely want to go back to lunch (especially since you can't get the cream chese mashed potatos any longer at dinner and I love them). They changed the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake a little from your pic; it never had that honey-thyme anglaise and a chocolate-walnut sauce before (I may have to find a new dessert as I don't like walnut tasting food or any type of sauce on my cake).

I'm so glad you can't get enough Disney-- I personally can't get enough of your reviews! My meal in January from Le Cellier was absolutely phenomenal, but the bipolar thing makes perfect sense. I'm glad you can see it so logically!

Love those duck pictures too! How cute!

LCBD - :lmao:

I'm somewhat ambivalent about LC. I've only eaten there for dinner once, and loved my app and dessert, but the steak didn't wow me. It's somewhere I would have no problem eating at again, but most of my trips are planned at less than 180 days out, so that pretty much eliminates LC for me. I'd love to try to new signature dinner menu though.

I'm still confused to whether or not I want to keep my lunch ressie or make it for dinner.

I have to thank you once again! You picture of that steak & potato entree has assured me that I made the right decision by changing our lunch reservation to a dinner one. I agree with you in that I was picturing nicely roasted potatos and I was debating trying to change our plans (for the 10, 482nd time! :laughing:) to get a lunch ADR. Now seeing it, I will leave our plans as is and stick with dinner! I know LC has been getting some less than stellar dinner reviews but we feel that we need to try it for ourselves. The chicken sausage appetizer is one of my favorites so great to hear that that was still good!

Thanks for the lunch reviews. It will our first time ever eating at Le Cellier. I changed our dinner ressie at Le Cellier to a lunch(did not tell DH yet) but knowing DH he would be quite happy with either of the entrees you had.

Oh thanks for the visual you put in my head about the ducks and the meatballs, I was considering having those for my app. :rotfl:

Great review(s) of LC! It's tough to try anything new at a restaurant when you find something that you love. I tried the mushroom filet the first time I went to LC (and loved it) and because I don't get there very often I just can't bring myself to try anything else when I go. So I'm just going to have to live vicariously through the reviews of others! So thanks for the review of the filet as well as a different menu item - so far it looks like the filet is a good choice!

Yay! I'm glad you ordered that cake. Where was that dessert display? Did you have to seek it out or did they take you by it?

Your pictures are outstanding! Really some of the nicest, clearest pictures I've seen on this board. Nice job~looks like you had a great time too.

Thanks for the LeCellier reviews. We skipped it last year and aren't going this year, but next year I definitely want to go back to lunch (especially since you can't get the cream chese mashed potatos any longer at dinner and I love them). They changed the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake a little from your pic; it never had that honey-thyme anglaise and a chocolate-walnut sauce before (I may have to find a new dessert as I don't like walnut tasting food or any type of sauce on my cake).
I think if you want, you could get the chocolate cake with those sauces on the side. I didn't even taste the walnut in the sauce, and the honey-thyme sauce wasn't overpowering either, but I'm sure you could still enjoy the cake as you like it whenever you go back! :goodvibes

I'm so glad you can't get enough Disney-- I personally can't get enough of your reviews! My meal in January from Le Cellier was absolutely phenomenal, but the bipolar thing makes perfect sense. I'm glad you can see it so logically!

Love those duck pictures too! How cute!
I'm glad you really like Le Cellier as well! Until I have 2 or 3 disappointing meals in a row there, it'll definitely remain on my list. It's currently my favorite theme park restaurant, just ahead of Brown Derby (but I still need to try Bistro de Paris).

LCBD - :lmao:

I'm somewhat ambivalent about LC. I've only eaten there for dinner once, and loved my app and dessert, but the steak didn't wow me. It's somewhere I would have no problem eating at again, but most of my trips are planned at less than 180 days out, so that pretty much eliminates LC for me. I'd love to try to new signature dinner menu though.
I guess for me, a piece of meat on its own rarely ever wows me. Obviously there's a difference between the meat at Applebee's and BLT Steak, but for me as long as the meat tastes good and is cooked to my liking (and isn't too fatty), I'm okay with it. I guess restaurant dishes involving seafood are usually a bit more creative, while a good piece of meat should shine on its own. In Le Cellier's case, I just love the truffle butter with the filet, but I can see why the steak on its own wouldn't be that impressive to someone who can recognize premium meat.

Hopefully you'll get to try Le Cellier's dinner menu sometime! I believe the strip steak is prime, but the other options are equivalent to choice (like at Yachtsman), so it could be worth a try (for now, I definitely think Yachtsman has the better menu though).

I'm still confused to whether or not I want to keep my lunch ressie or make it for dinner.
It's a difficult choice, and I'd say it depends on what you want for dinner. If you want to try one of the new menu options (like ribeye or the lobster salad), I'd recommend dinner. But if you would order items that are available at lunch anyway (chicken sausage, cheese soup, filet, etc), you might as well do the cheaper meal.

I have to thank you once again! You picture of that steak & potato entree has assured me that I made the right decision by changing our lunch reservation to a dinner one. I agree with you in that I was picturing nicely roasted potatos and I was debating trying to change our plans (for the 10, 482nd time! :laughing:) to get a lunch ADR. Now seeing it, I will leave our plans as is and stick with dinner! I know LC has been getting some less than stellar dinner reviews but we feel that we need to try it for ourselves. The chicken sausage appetizer is one of my favorites so great to hear that that was still good!
Glad you're going to try dinner! At least if you don't love it, you never have to go again. But ultimately, there will always be positive and negative reviews, so you just have to see for yourself. :)

Thanks for the lunch reviews. It will our first time ever eating at Le Cellier. I changed our dinner ressie at Le Cellier to a lunch(did not tell DH yet) but knowing DH he would be quite happy with either of the entrees you had.

Oh thanks for the visual you put in my head about the ducks and the meatballs, I was considering having those for my app. :rotfl:
Definitely get the duck meatballs if they sound good to you! I loved that app in June, and it's one of the better choices that's exclusively on the lunch menu. Hopefully by then, the visual will be out of your head. :rotfl:

Great review(s) of LC! It's tough to try anything new at a restaurant when you find something that you love. I tried the mushroom filet the first time I went to LC (and loved it) and because I don't get there very often I just can't bring myself to try anything else when I go. So I'm just going to have to live vicariously through the reviews of others! So thanks for the review of the filet as well as a different menu item - so far it looks like the filet is a good choice!
Sounds like you have the right idea - stick with the filet, and you can't really go wrong. I think I want to try the burger sometime, but overall I know that the filet is always a winner. :cloud9:

Yay! I'm glad you ordered that cake. Where was that dessert display? Did you have to seek it out or did they take you by it?
When you're being brought to your table, you walk down a ramp and then you turn right into the dining room. The dessert display is at the bottom of the ramp to the left, so you should see it while you're being taken to your table. Usually, the host points out some of the desserts, so it shouldn't be difficult to take a look at them!

Your pictures are outstanding! Really some of the nicest, clearest pictures I've seen on this board. Nice job~looks like you had a great time too.
I'm glad you really like the pictures! Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries to get a good shot, but it's worth it (especially at the signature restaurants, most dishes will only be on the menu for a few months, but I'll always be able to look back at these pictures).

We have a lunch ressie for LC our 2nd day in a couple of weeks. I have been thinking about changing it but I just don't know. I just can't seem to feel the love for it but that filet with the mashed potatoes looks really good. Maybe we'll give it a try

We have a lunch ressie for LC our 2nd day in a couple of weeks. I have been thinking about changing it but I just don't know. I just can't seem to feel the love for it but that filet with the mashed potatoes looks really good. Maybe we'll give it a try
Personally I think it's worth a try. The filet with truffle butter is probably my favorite dish available for one credit (but even when I'm not on the DDP, I'm willing to pay for it). Some people do leave disappointed when the place doesn't live up to the hype (a lot of which is because of the cheese soup, filet, maple crème brûlée, and overall difficulty to make a reservation) but until you try it you'll never know how you feel.

Of course, if there's another restaurant with a menu that's more appealing to you, there's no harm in going there instead. :)

I think you might have convinced me to try Yachtsman next trip...it is one of the few restaurants we've never tried.

I think you might have convinced me to try Yachtsman next trip...it is one of the few restaurants we've never tried.
If you decide to try it, I hope the menu stays pretty similar to what it is right now! Plenty of those dishes were true standouts that would've pleased me at any signature restaurant. :goodvibes

Thanks for the Kona review :goodvibes

I still can't decide between the Tonga Toast or the Pancakes

I'm really hoping I can talk DH into ordering the Pancakes so I can try both :thumbsup2

I feel the same way! This place is on our list for our next trip and I read so many good reviews about both dishes...I change my mind every day it seems and my trip is still over a year away!

I feel the same way! This place is on our list for our next trip and I read so many good reviews about both dishes...I change my mind every day it seems and my trip is still over a year away!
You have plenty of time to decide, and I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. :goodvibes

This is it, the last sit-down meal of our most recent short trip. We had been to Citricos quite a few times before, but our most recent meal there in January was very unpleasant in terms of food. Everything was either mediocre or poorly executed, and Citricos fell to the bottom of our signature list.

I ended up going to Citricos alone since my mom wasn't feeling great. If we had gone together, we would've taken a taxi from Dolphin to GF. Since I was alone, I decided to improvise and do some stuff that she can't handle (since walking is a slight issue for her). I walked from Dolphin to DHS, took the bus to the TTC, and then walked from there to GF. It was extremely hot, but it helped me work up an appetite and I got some great photos.

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

The entrance to Citricos:

IMG_1238.jpg

I had checked the menu earlier in the day. Here's what the menu was outside the restaurant:

IMG_1040.jpg

I already knew exactly what I wanted. I would order three appetizers for my meal: the tapas plate (it sounded interesting enough), the crab pavé (which seemed reasonably priced for a signature app), and the prosciutto and melon plate. However, that wasn't meant to be, as I realized once I sat down at my table and received an updated menu:

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

So the crab appetizer had gone up $3 in price even though it was exactly the same dish, and the prosciutto and melon was gone. Oh well, that plan didn't end up working out. I guess it just goes to show you that there's no way to know exactly what's on the menu until you're at your table.

At least I had a nice view of the GF courtyard from my seat.

IMG_1246.jpg

I really liked the flowers on the table:

IMG_1245.jpg

Soon, the bread basket arrived, containing olive bread and multigrain. It's nice having some variety, and the olive bread had a perfect touch of saltiness from the olive.

IMG_1248.jpg

The butter had a zesty flavor from the citrus-infused sea salt. Another nice Citricos touch:

IMG_1249.jpg

Originally planning on ordering three appetizers, I ended up going the traditional route and picking one appetizer and entree. My appetizer choice was the Citricos Chefs Tapas Plate: lamb albóndigas (meatballs) with mint yogurt, cioppino littleneck clams with micro basil, and fritto misto with lemon aioli.

IMG_1250.jpg

The lamb was moist and tasted great with the cool mint yogurt. The crostini provided a satisfying crunch:

IMG_1251.jpg

The clams were cooked well and received some extra moisture from the broth below. The basil on top was refreshing.

IMG_1252.jpg

The fritto misto was also satisfying. The vegetables were fried but still extremely light - they were crispy and thin like a potato chip. The lemon aioli underneath added a zing and a creaminess. There's only one other restaurant where I've had fried veggies that I liked as much as this (it's also a Mediterranean restaurant).

IMG_1253.jpg

I have nothing bad to say about the appetizer. But then came the entree that I originally wasn't planning on ordering: wild king salmon with grilled langoustine, warm baby artichoke, marble potato salad with bacon-sherry vinaigrette, and macerated petite tomatoes. Just a few weeks earlier, I'd had Artist Point's king salmon with artichokes and bacon vinaigrette. AP is known for their salmon and I absolutely loved it, but because these two dishes sounded so similar, it would force a comparison between the two.

For comparison's sake, here's a picture of Artist Point's cedar plank salmon with veggies (including artichoke) and bacon-egg vinaigrette.

IMG_0618.jpg

And now the salmon at Citricos:

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

It was amazing. The salmon was perfectly cooked and seasoned well, the potatoes and artichoke were soft, warm, and salty, the tomatoes were sweet, and the sauce on the right tasted like really good olive oil.

The best langoustine I've ever had was at an oceanside restaurant in South Africa. It's like very soft, sweet lobster, and this provided that wonderful flavor I remembered. :cloud9:

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Everything was marvelous together, and I didn't need to worry about this dish being too similar to AP's. The bacon flavor wasn't very prominent at all, instead allowing the lighter Mediterranean flavors and sweet elements (like langoustine and tomato) to shine. In the salmon vs. salmon battle, it's a difficult choice, but I have to say Citricos was the winner for me.

After two wonderful courses, I knew I couldn't turn down dessert. Once again, I forgot to take a pic of the menu, but here's a screenshot from the WDW website (this was accurate at the time of my visit):

Screenshot2011-07-04at113006PM.png

One dessert stood out to me: the tres leches with wild strawberry and raspberry coulis featuring 8-year balsamic vinegar. In typical Citricos fashion, it was a beautiful dessert, with the laced chocolate being a nice surprise. The tres leches itself had a soft, spongy texture and a creamy, fluffy layer on top. It was light and had a slight alcohol flavor. The strawberry coulis on the side added both a sweetness and tartness, with the small dab of balsamic providing a sweet and sour contrast. I love strawberries and balsamic together, and overall this was an outstanding dessert.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

Citricos has a very pleasant atmosphere. There is relaxing Mediterranean music in the background that transports you off to the coast of Spain, and the service was excellent. Tammy was a very friendly server, never left my water glass empty for long, and always made sure to ask if I needed anything else. So from an atmosphere and service standpoint (in addition to the food), this meal was a winner.

The meal exceeded expectations, and any apprehension left over from my last meal at Citricos was assuaged. After dethroning the king salmon at Artist Point, Citricos has jumped from worst to first in my ranking of the signature restaurants. My current ranking is:

1. Citricos
2. Artist Point
3. Jiko
4. Yachtsman Steakhouse
5. California Grill
6. Narcoossee's
7. Flying Fish Cafe
8. Le Cellier
9. Brown Derby

To clarify, I like every signature restaurant. Of the restaurants I've been to at WDW, these are certainly my top 9, with Kona breakfast rounding out the top 10. In addition, #1-5 are all extremely close, as are #6-9. I've had amazing dishes at all of these restaurants, as well as less successful dishes. One particularly good or bad meal is enough to shift my ranking, but for now I'm happy to say that Citricos is my favorite WDW restaurant. :cloud9:

Thanks for the wonderful review of Cirticos

You photos are excellent by the way :thumbsup2

We are trying lunch at HBD on our next trip and I am now wondering if I should switch it to Citricos :confused3

I've always wanted to try HBD though, oooh decisions decisions :laughing:

And now we need to try Citrico's too!

Thanks for the great review! I can't wait for your next one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter