Wow..some adults never cease to amaze me

This just happened to us last night...waiting to see the castle lighting right in front of the castle so everyone is sitting so the kids can see...one family (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, and a 2-3 year old in a stroller right in the front row refused to sit down. I asked them nicely prior to the show starting if they planned to stand or sit and they said the ground was too cold to sit on....it was like 53 degrees out....but seriously you can't sit so the 2 dozen 5-10 year olds around you can see? Didn't know adults were so Elsa crazy! Everyone around them was yelling for them to sit down and they continued to stand through the whole thing...

So a family, shows up early to get a good spot and tells you they will remain standing, but then gets yelled at by others to sit? Good for them, for not being bullied into sitting by the masses.

So a family, shows up early to get a good spot and tells you they will remain standing, but then gets yelled at by others to sit? Good for them, for not being bullied into sitting by the masses.

Thank you for your opinion, but the point is at what point when one family's experience becomes more important than all those around them, that is pure entitled selfishness. There are plenty of places you can stand and get a great view of that show if you are an adult...they didn't get there any earlier than all the other people sitting around them.

I haven't read every post on this thread so maybe I missed something...

But I always assumed that standing is the default position for parades or those open shows near the castle, etc. That people might sit while they are waiting, but that they will probably stand once it starts. In other words, if there is not a physical seat (like at Fantasmic), assume people will be standing.

But I always assumed that standing is the default position for parades or those open shows near the castle, etc. That people might sit while they are waiting, but that they will probably stand once it starts. In other words, if there is not a physical seat (like at Fantasmic), assume people will be standing.

There's a section right in front of the castle where most people in my experience sit for castle shows (dream along with mickey, etc). Imagine a group of kids staring at adult's rear ends and being upset that they can't see, that's what it looks like when people stand in that section.

Thank you for your opinion, but the point is at what point when one family's experience becomes more important than all those around them, that is pure entitled selfishness. There are plenty of places you can stand and get a great view of that show if you are an adult...they didn't get there any earlier than all the other people sitting around them.

I'm trying to understand and having never been to a castle lighting myself, I can't really picture it, but they did get there earlier then the people behind them. And they were never even sitting to begin with, so I really don't see the problem.

There's a section right in front of the castle where most people in my experience sit for castle shows (dream along with mickey, etc). Imagine a group of kids staring at adult's rear ends and being upset that they can't see, that's what it looks like when people stand in that section.

I actually think that section lends itself more to needing to stand. If you're up close, it's hard to really get a good view up on that stage from a sitting position.

Actually, I've always assumed that people sitting on the curb along Main Street (I can't recall if there's any curb to sit on in Frontierland) waiting for the parade are going to remain seated when the parade starts, and I don't think I've ever experienced otherwise.

May I respectfully ask why you don't stand while waiting, and then sit when the parade comes? This way the people behind don't have their view blocked. I of course am assuming you are at the curb, front row.

Sometimes we will stand, however if we are waiting 30-40 minutes +, we will sit down. My sister has an ankle injury so she can't always stand for that long (especially when we have been on our feet all day already) and it's very difficult to talk to someone who is sitting on the floor while you're standing with all the noise around us.

We prefer to stand because we have found that we get much better character interaction while standing. Our photos come out better (especially with the new parade with the floats so high)

We tell people as they come up that we will be standing when the show or parade starts. It is then up to them if they choose to stay there or move.

This just happened to us last night...waiting to see the castle lighting right in front of the castle so everyone is sitting so the kids can see...one family (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, and a 2-3 year old in a stroller right in the front row refused to sit down. I asked them nicely prior to the show starting if they planned to stand or sit and they said the ground was too cold to sit on....it was like 53 degrees out....but seriously you can't sit so the 2 dozen 5-10 year olds around you can see? Didn't know adults were so Elsa crazy! Everyone around them was yelling for them to sit down and they continued to stand through the whole thing...

This is interesting. I have a friend who visits WDW very frequently (and her daughter works there). She and her daughters love the castle lighting. The other day she commented on FB that she was getting dirty looks and comments from people because she (and a number of other people) was standing so she could see better. They were in a spot that made sitting awkward. What was strange is that they ALWAYS stand to watch the castle lighting. People often do, in my personal experience--at least *I* always do and so do most of the people around me (I'm also a local with an AP). So, don't assume people are just being rude. Some of us locals are used to certain behaviors at the parks when they aren't as crowded or there aren't special events like the new castle lighting.

In the end, she did sit, but she couldn't see well, even though she was there first and was standing the entire time she was waiting. If someone is there before you, it's their prerogative to stand. Even if you personally think it's "rude." I think it's rude for someone to expect a person or group who has waited longer than them to submit to their preferences. It's also rude to glare, made snide comments, and otherwise try to make people uncomfortable because they aren't going out of their way to make your experience better. But it happens. And I think it's generally because most of us (myself included) don't give people the benefit of the doubt. My friend wasn't being rude. It didn't even occur to her that people who got there after her would expect her to change her behavior to accommodate them.

Edited to add: she was standing in the spot mom2rtk was referring to. It's close to the castle, so the view is somewhat obstructed when you are sitting.

If I'm ever crazy enough to wait over an hour curbside for a parade, you bet I will sit while I wait. Do others really expect me to stand there? When the parade starts I will stand, otherwise I will not be seen and others will try to crowd into me, step on me, etc.

People should think 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' when it comes to WDW. That way, you aren't put out when someone stands in front of you, even though they've been there waiting for hours.

We sat and waited once and as much as I wanted to stand to see better, (plus we were getting stiff sitting there) we didn't because I felt like we were committed to sitting. Now, on the rare occasion we wait for a parade, we stand while we wait so there shouldn't be any expectations that we'll sit once the parade starts. We have let young children get in front of us so they can see, but I am not going to sit on the ground and wouldn't appreciate a stranger coming up after me asking me to do so.

You really need to expect that anyone waiting on the ground might stand up when the parade starts. Many prefer to watch from a standing position, but cannot stand the entire time they are waiting. That's what I do, but I do warn those coming up behind me that I intend to stand when it starts.

The DIS is the first place where I ever heard that standing for a parade or show was "rude" and that people shouldn't do it. I have NEVER heard of that before threads such as this.

BTW, I will admit to being selfish and "rude". If I take the time to get a spot and I want to stand, then I will. The people behind me can stand as well. I'm not super crazy tall and I won't put a child on my shoulders so it shouldn't be a problem.

It's like other issues that you see on these boards. People expect others to act a specific way like THEY want them to act. When they don't comply with this, then people decide they must be "rude" and "jerks". No, they just don't feel the same way you do about what is really a non-issue.

Some adults never cease to amaze me, either. Like the ones who will go on a forum and trash talk total strangers, say that society has gone to pieces, bring up other people's parenting, and recommend throwing people out of Disney World...often based on somebody else's second-hand observations.

The only issues I've ever had in the parks are when people adopt a holier-than-thou attitude and insert themselves into my day. Some people seem to really enjoy judging others. Like, REALLY enjoy it.

Do tell!

My mom can't sit on the ground and get up with her bad knees. We grab our spots, and remain standing. We stand for the parades, and in my experience, so do the people around us. It is the same at home. People stand for the parades.
I do not expect others to sit. In fact, more often than not, people generally ask my kids to come up in front of them, which is very generous, and I thank them. I don't expect that either, but let them know it is appreciated.

We have never had good success with that place. DD is in a wheelchair, and even though make people may start by sitting, they end up standing right in front of us blocking our view. Small children cannot see and parents put them on their shoulders, but I cannot do that with DD. We end up leaving.

My understanding is that when Disney wants you to sit, they provide seats (Fantasmic!, shows, restaurants, Lights Motors Action, etc). If there are no seats, I assume they want me to stand.

On our honeymoon many years ago, we were at CR waiting for the electric water pageant on the beach. There was NOBODY on the beach but us. Not another human being. So we layed out our little blanket and sat on the beach waiting for the show. A few minutes before it started, along comes these two ladies who plop themselves down right in front of us on the beach. The entire EMPTY beach. Not next to us. Not 10 feet in front of us. Like 3 feet in front of us! So bizarre.

Yes, we moved.

On our honeymoon many years ago, we were at CR waiting for the electric water pageant on the beach. There was NOBODY on the beach but us. Not another human being. So we layed out our little blanket and sat on the beach waiting for the show. A few minutes before it started, along comes these two ladies who plop themselves down right in front of us on the beach. The entire EMPTY beach. Not next to us. Not 10 feet in front of us. Like 3 feet in front of us! So bizarre.

Yes, we moved.

That would make me crazy and I would have moved to right in front of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter