Wow..some adults never cease to amaze me

Sociological and psychological observation in Disney is a favorite pastime for me. :laughing: Cursing loudly enough in a theme park that caters to small children and is built on family values is a strange way to get others to look at you with respect. We judge other people's behaviors constantly, as we are very social creatures, that also have a sense of morality. Depending on one's sense of morality (and interest), it can either be seen as a good thing, a neutral thing, or a bad thing that many adults in our society today don't actually act like adults.

I'm glad for those that haven't had issues such as this in the park, as it isn't enjoyable when it happens and it sad for young children. My family and I have seen and heard many interesting things at Disney, including a highly publicized fist fight between two grown women (that involved children) that took place over standing in line for a ride (the tea cups), also my father saw a man that had put his fist through a pane of glass dripping blood through the park, and all sorts of fun things. I've also been blessed to see admirable behavior in the parks that impacts onlookers as well. It truly should remind us that we don't live in a vacuum, and what we do, both good and bad in public impacts many others, in Dis it is just amplified because there are so many people packed into a small area. :crowded:

human behavior everywhere sometimes has me saying to my adult DS "the human race is a pathetic species"

On the flippy floppy...

I was in Gaston's on the same trip and we had just finished eating. As we were leaving there was a mom dad and young boy who were taking a photo by the fireplace. Dad was taking the pic so I offered to take a pic of all 3. They looked at me like I was an alien! Like nobody had ever offered something nice before...and they were so grateful. Cute family!

Some years back we saw a few people inadvertently step into the line at the Carousel in front of a family group. The way that the line broke it was clearly unintentional. The guy in the family group let out a string of the most foul obscenities and threats at the accidental line cutters that I'm sure that could have been heard at the front gate. We didn't stay around to see the outcome, but I hope there was a life-time ban involved.

Continuing in the vein of a few previous posts - here's a thought. What if every time each of us witnessed one of "those adults" behaving in negative ways, we then actively looked for an opportunity to enrich the world rather than drag it down. Something small - like offering to take a photo of another family. Or giving the grandma your seat on the bus on the way back to the resort.

There will always be both kinds of experiences. But if everyone who sees a negative, uncomfortable one turns around and does something nice - there will be more positive than negative.

I saw a mom berating her daughter in AK this past September. She had her pinned to the wall under the entrance to dinoland and was screaming in her face that she was going to "whip you good right here in front of everybody!!". The crime? Kid was upset that mom was making them leave the park due to the brief drizzle that had begun. It was around 11am, and the kid was upset that they had just arrived, not ridden anything and it was their only day at the park. Mom didn't care.."It's rainin'!! We're leavin'!" And lots of expletives as she dragged the kid out.

I hate it when I see things like this. It's the worst.

The worst thing I've even seen was at EPCOT a few years ago. This guy was screaming at his wife. Just screaming at her. She looked so so so sad. He was screaming in a foreign language, so I don't know what it was about, but it was awful. I should've called security.

What is the big deal??? All of us, and I mean ALL of us behave badly at times. None of us live up the example set by JC. Sure some of us behave worse than others but none of us is an angel.

I've seen my share over the years. You have to just shake your head and wonder why some think they are so special compared to the rest of us. We all paid big money to be there, some less than others but we belong to the DIS and know the tricks. ;)
I could never sit hours before, waiting for a 20 minute parade but some do and as far as I'm concerned they deserve the front. I can also understand why one would be upset by someone walking up just before and blocking that view.
We've seen countless parents losing their minds at a poor kid that is beyond tired. Happiest Place on earth. I've seen people treat some CM's like they are their personal servants and talk down to them. You can see how it hurts them so if I'm the next in line I'll crack a joke and try and get a smile out of them to remind them not all of us are pickerheads.
Thankfully they are few and far between.

What if every time each of us witnessed one of "those adults" behaving in negative ways, we then actively looked for an opportunity to enrich the world rather than drag it down. Something small - like offering to take a photo of another family.

Failing that, if you could please video the boorish behavior and upload to YouRube, then post a link for us here, we'd all get a big kick out of it, I'm sure!

We rarely go to the parades or fireworks because I can't stand the crowds, the jostling, etc. One time when we did go a few years ago, my DS and I had a nice spot with a direct view of the castle. When the fireworks started, a man next to me actually put his cell phone directly in my face so he could get a centered video of the fireworks. I was literally watching the fireworks on his cell phone. I asked him to please move his hand which he did, but that was it for me and MK fireworks. Fast forward to last Friday night when we attended MVMCP. After the castle lighting, we were lucky enough to get a spot along the hub to see the parade. We were about three people back, but we were next to a garbage can so we had a direct view of the parade right above it - hurray for garbage cans! Right in front of us were two gentlemen who were standing above their children who were sitting on the curb. They kept looking back at me and DS7 and I thought maybe we were standing too close? I kept making sure my son wasn't stepping on them or something. They then turned around and motioned for my son to come stand in front of them and watch the parade with their children (they didn't speak English) After my own experiences and the stories I've read on this board, I was shocked! They were so kind - just genuinely nice people. I was so appreciative of their gesture. My DS was so excited to have such an amazing view of the parade and I thanked them profusely. So, while I know there are a lot of stories out there of adults behaving badly during the fireworks and parades, I'm here to testify there are still kind people going to WDW!

This has been our experience, too. We've met some lovely people at parades when we've arrived for "2nd tier." The folks who've been sitting there for an hour welcome someone new to talk to and they tend to want to help make sure your kids get a view. And even if they don't have room for your kids, they make sure they don't block the view. There may be some who work to ruin the event for others, but it's not the norm.

My son was a difficult child, very headstrong. One time we were at Disney (just the two of us) when he was around 5. He decided he wanted to play on the playground in Mickey's StarLand. I wanted to ride Small World. We were, after all, in Disney World and you could play on a playground at any McDonalds. So here we were, arguing back and forth between playground/ride when I finally said, "Let's start over. Neither of us is having a good time". So I asked, "Do you want to play on the playground?" "Yes" was the answer, and I said, "Here's the deal. You get a choice, and we'll do whatever you want to do, then it's my turn. Then your turn, etc". He agreed, so I sat while he played. When he was done, we rode Small World, then it was his pick again. We employed it ever since. The funniest thing was when we went to Sea World. It was the last Shamu show of the day and he wanted to play on the playground. Once again I sat while he played, and then we walked on. I was trying to leave the park and inadvertently wandered into a stunt show in/on the water. We sat down and started watching and after a couple of minutes he asked where Shamu was.
People are often short fused when they're hot, tired, frazzled. They make for entertainment over dinner.

This has been our experience, too. We've met some lovely people at parades when we've arrived for "2nd tier." The folks who've been sitting there for an hour welcome someone new to talk to and they tend to want to help make sure your kids get a view. And even if they don't have room for your kids, they make sure they don't block the view. There may be some who work to ruin the event for others, but it's not the norm.

My husband and I often "double up". I will stand directly behind him with my chin on his shoulder thereby allowing others to have a view. It isn't necessary to stand side by side. (This only works if you're the same height, or close to it)

:cool1:

Continuing in the vein of a few previous posts - here's a thought. What if every time each of us witnessed one of "those adults" behaving in negative ways, we then actively looked for an opportunity to enrich the world rather than drag it down. Something small - like offering to take a photo of another family. Or giving the grandma your seat on the bus on the way back to the resort. There will always be both kinds of experiences. But if everyone who sees a negative, uncomfortable one turns around and does something nice - there will be more positive than negative.

I live my life following a similar school of thought. I understand that there are rude, ignorant, self absorbed people in this world and I do my best to move forward in life by giving those people little of my energy. Although I must admit that I've found this thread incredibly entertaining. Hey, I can't move above and beyond all of the time. :)

I'm also a big fan of paying it forward. One of he first lessons I ever remember learning I life was do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It works for me and makes me and others happy.

We were at MK last week for the first time, but we are DLR vets. We were in Adventureland headed for Haunted Mansion, which would mean we would need to cross over during the parade. We headed over to the crossover point we had seen earlier, only to find it closed until after the parade. Oops! At DLR, they open the crossovers after every few floats but, not at the MK evidentially.

Since the parade had just started and it was going to be a long wait, I took the 7 year old down toward the parade route, just hoping he would be able to see the tops of the floats to pass the time. A lovely family, who had no doubt staked out their front row seats for awhile, insisted on bringing my child into the front row so that he had a perfect view. It was such a kind thing to do that exemplified how generous people can be and was one of the nicest memories I have from the trip.

Last year we were watching the parade that then became the dance party. My 4 yo was right in front, dancing her little heart out, when this lady got right in front of her - in between her and the characters - and started wagging her butt right in my kid's face. I was seriously WTFudge.

My motto: Kill em with kindness! Even if you have to bludgeon them over the head with it. People melt down, kids get tired - if we react to it, it think it just feeds into the situation making it worse. Try to find a way to be kind, compassionate and understanding. :lovestruc

my husband and I always go to the parks at rope drop, so we can walk on some of the rides. We went to tSM and were fortunate to walk onto the ride. As we were walking the que, 4 biker types (2 men and 2 women) in black leather pants and jackets with Harley insignias cut across the chains on the rows, and got right in front of us!!! Now, what's funny about this is that they would have been behind us if they had just walked normal onto the ride!!!! So, I told my husband that I couldn't believe they passed everyone by just to get one space in front. The guy in front of me must have heard me, and he turned around and said, "We were kicked out of here 2 times already, so......" and looked mean at me. I guess he meant the ride quit and he had to leave with the rest of the riders. I guess he was "entitled" to jump ahead one whole space in front of us because they had been inconvenienced when the ride broke down before????!!!! What? I am 65 y/o and my husband is 67 and we turned it into a joke with me saying that I would "handle the biker chick", yeah right!!!! I guess they were the only ones who had to leave that ride that day? Later on in our trip we had the TSM ride break down while we were riding it. We got walked out of the ride and got fp's given for anytime, anyday, anyride up to a certain date! So all was good, and we love that ride:)
One other time we were on the POC, and the lady in the seat right behind us was talking loudly on her cell phone about insurance!!!!! Yes, insurance policies and deductables, all while we were trying to hear and enjoy the sights! Her son, who was probably 5 y/o, squealed into our ears all the time with a voice like nails on a chalkboard, and his Mom did not make him quiet down. I was about to ask her to politely put down the cellphone so we could enjoy the ride, and she finally did, BUT the kid was screaming all through the ride. So that's 2 times with rude people. But we had wonderful experiences the rest of our time there. Another story for another time:):wave2:

OP, just a quick question. Were the ladies sitting while waiting for the parade, but then stood up when the parade started?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter