Wow- did you see this AKV ebay listing?

Wow, those prices are koo-koo.

I've got a reservation at VWL over Christmas. I should ebay it for a bajillion dollars, too!

I reviewed the add and though it's not terribly well written, I don't think it's especially misleading either.

The only thing relatively misleading is, "This is not the lodge but the brand new resort built with all the amenities you could want and having animals roam around oudoors for your viewing."

The implication appears to be that you would be able to view the animals from your room, but the only animals you would view from a standard view room would be the valet people. :)

The person states that "if available" a person could try to upgrade to a savanah view room for an extra $1,000.

I think that's a bit misleading only because if a person really wanted to view the animals from a savanah view room, I doubt if one would be available by the time the ebay listing resolves.

But, aside from that, I agree with you that this listing is not really a "biggee" kind of issue.

Sometimes I think it would be better for some people if they would live by the old posting rules of FidoNet -- that great networking system of years gone by:
1. Don't be overly annoying.
2. Don't be easily annoyed.

I think sometimes we just jump a little too far too fast, eh?

Anyway, that's my two-cents addition, for what it's worth . . .

Sometimes I think it would be better for some people if they would live by the old posting rules of FidoNet -- that great networking system of years gone by:
2. Don't be easily annoyed

Oh my that is brilliant, thanks for sharing. And at a good time too, seems to be alot of pettiness, hyprocrisy and just down right meaness floating around lately.

The only thing relatively misleading is, "This is not the lodge but the brand new resort built with all the amenities you could want and having animals roam around oudoors for your viewing."

The implication appears to be that you would be able to view the animals from your room, but the only animals you would view from a standard view room would be the valet people. :)

The person states that "if available" a person could try to upgrade to a savanah view room for an extra $1,000.

I think that's a bit misleading only because if a person really wanted to view the animals from a savanah view room, I doubt if one would be available by the time the ebay listing resolves.

But, aside from that, I agree with you that this listing is not really a "biggee" kind of issue.

2. Don't be easily annoyed.

I think sometimes we just jump a little too far too fast, eh?

Anyway, that's my two-cents addition, for what it's worth . . .
Well said.

Okay this might be an uncalled for comment but here goes. This thread and the one about being upset that CRO is upgrading folks from the values to DVC strike me as some of us sticking our noses where they don't belong. Clearly there are going to be things that annoy folks, but that doesn't mean what was done is wrong or even any of our business. We all need to be a little less snobish and a little more tolerant of things that annoy us.

Okay this might be an uncalled for comment but here goes. This thread and the one about being upset that CRO is upgrading folks from the values to DVC strike me as some of us sticking our noses where they don't belong. Clearly there are going to be things that annoy folks, but that doesn't mean what was done is wrong or even any of our business. We all need to be a little less snobish and a little more tolerant of things that annoy us.
Also well said Diane.

Just looked and it appears that the ad was changed.

This one's a gem. His latest reply:

Thats ok I have an email from my sales person at Disney 10 steps ahead of you.
The listing will be on and it will sell and I will be more then happy to shove it in your face
thanks for your time

Glad to say at this moment.. NO bids...

It says "it is not the Lodge but a brand new resort".

It IS the Lodge. It is the main building. It may be villas in the main building, but it does make it sound like it is a completely different resort - and it isn't yet.
Exactly.

Ebay security agreed. The seller had to delete his links to Disney and change the wording. It now reads:

"Now this is a vacation as you are bidding on a 4 night 5 day stay at Disney's NEWEST resort Animal Kingdom Villas in a standard view 2 bedroom 2 bath villa 12/29/07 - 01/02/2007. This has all the amenities you could want while having animals roam around oudoors for your viewing.

You will be one of the 1st to stay at this villa over New Year as it is the newest property being renovated and constructed by Disney. This is a vacation not to pass up with your family. What more could you ask for staying on Disney property over New Years at Disney's resort. Please note this is phase 1 of the resort so please check the website or email me with any questions or concerns."

Now that is accurate and I have no objections to that wording. ebay actually handled it quite quickly.

As to those of you who don't think it is anyone's business if there is fraud on ebay, I disagree. I've been using ebay (as a buyer) since 1999. Ebay WANTS to hear when there are listings that have fraud in them. They watch closely and shut many of them down as soon as they are found, but they don't catch all of them. That's why there is a reporting mechanism to point such things out so that ebay can investigate.

While ebay will always be a "buyer beware" site, I like to think that most sellers there can be trusted to be telling the truth. In the hundreds of transactions I've had there, I've only run into a handful of really unethical sellers. Each of them was handed over to ebay/paypal to deal with and I never lost a cent on a transaction.

As for turning this particular guy into the IRS, that I don't care to do. Whether he pays taxes on his income or not doesn't affect me. The ebay environment does.

Would this add really confuse you? Would you truly not know what your getting if you rented this?

That was exactly the point. Yes, I think someone not familiar with AKV WOULD have been confused/mislead by the original wording. I wouldn't have reported it if I didn't believe that. Ebay security wouldn't have agreed and had the wording changed if they didn't agree, too.

Remember, we may know AKV inside and out because we spend hours at this site debating the tiniest features of the villas. But someone who is using ebay and runs across the ad talking about the new resort most likely wouldn't have a clue!

That was exactly the point. Yes, I think someone not familiar with AKV WOULD have been confused/mislead by the original wording. I wouldn't have reported it if I didn't believe that.

I agree as well. If I was only somewhat familiar with Disney - like having stayed at the AKL but was not frequenting message boards, I'd have figured it was an actual new resort (not just inside the old one).

I didn't write to Ebay, but I feel better knowing it's clearer. As far as Disney giving rooms at SS/OKW as upgrades, I figure it's a promotion to get more DVC members. But if anyone is upset, they can certainly write to Disney.

Wow, those prices are koo-koo.

I've got a reservation at VWL over Christmas. I should ebay it for a bajillion dollars, too!

THAT'S a whole separate topic. :lmao: Yes, I think the prices are nuts that this guy is asking for both AKV and BCV (his two listings.) But if he can word the listings accurately and get that price for the rentals, I have nothing to say about it. Like I said, ebay is a "buyer beware" kind of place and if someone is willing to spend that kind of cash for a reservation, I think they're a bit nuts, too.

It looks like it'd still be cheaper than a 2 bedroom rental through DRC (for other 2 bedroom units during the holiday time). I don't have a problem as much with the price if someone wants to pay it.

It looks like it'd still be cheaper than a 2 bedroom rental through DRC (for other 2 bedroom units during the holiday time). I don't have a problem as much with the price if someone wants to pay it.

I guess that's why I'm a DVC owner. I wouldn't consider paying that much in cash for the rentals this guy has listed.

p.s. to the story...

The seller just told me that he changed the wording of the AKV ebay listing on his own, that he eventually agreed with my point about it being misleading the way he originally worded it. He said the only thing that ebay security did was require him to delete the links to the two other Disney sites. In any case, I'm just glad the wording was changed to be clearer.

Glad to hear the dude sort of came to his senses.

But seriously, if anyone has a bajillion dollars lying around, I can hook you up with a sweet one bedroom unit at the MOSTLY NEWISH-LOOKING Villas at the Wilderness Lodge.

For an extra thousand bucks, I can procure you a special view of THE DUMPSTER!!

This is exactly why I don't use e-bay for anything. It's a standard view and there are "animals outside for viewing." If I made the implication that the animals would be in my room view, I will be sorely disappointed when I arrive.
After all, I was promised "all of the amenities you could want."
Bobbi

This is exactly why I don't use e-bay for anything. It's a standard view and there are "animals outside for viewing." If I made the implication that the animals would be in my room view, I will be sorely disappointed when I arrive.
After all, I was promised "all of the amenities you could want."
Bobbi
I saw that, too, but he didn't really claim they were right outside the room for viewing. There ARE many public locations at the lodge where you can view the animals so technically, the seller is correct. I wouldn't word it that way for a standard view room, either.

As for ebay, I almost always check it to see if something I want to buy online is available there before I buy it elsewhere. Sometimes ebay is the only place I can find something if I'm looking for something that's been off the market for quite awhile. You really do have to know something about the item you are purchasing though. I've seen auctions for items that sold way ABOVE retail just because the bidders got carried away or didn't know what a normal price would be for the item. I've also gotten some great bargains though, too.

facebook twitter