WOW $800 More for a Mod

WOW! 800.00 is alot . Considering I spent 1700 for my family of 4 this past February with free dining. I would save the money and put it towards another trip. But we are only in our rooms to sleep and the values are not that bad.

I think the OP realizes there should be a price increase; it was just a surprise by the increase as the difference between the value and the mod used to be $400 for their last trip and now it's $800. I get this sticker shock. We stayed at AKL on our last trip. I just priced out our next trip and with the new 2014 price increase it went up $70 a night from what it was last year. That's an insane price increase that will affect whether we stay here or not. We stay 9 nights so that adds a lot of $ to our cost. I get price increases, but I think that's a bit much. I think the leap from what you've paid before to what you're paying on your next trip is the shock/surprise the OP is pointing out, not the cost difference between a value and a mod necessarily.

Not sure when you're going, but I priced our 2014 trip, and the prices for AKL Savanna were only $9/night more than 2013 rates. They did start charging a premium for Fri/Sat ($404 v. $377), but that still doesn't add up to $70/night.

But we're going in Value 2 season, so that might make a difference.

It didn't go up $70 a night. I went online and priced it out the current difference between a standard room at Pop and a standard room at CBR for the dates I punched in is $70 a night. My point was that seems like a reasonable difference to move a full class of resort. The difference between Mod and Deluxe is alot more than $70 a night.

My personal opinion is that the WDW resorts rack rate is overpriced, so if that I agree with. When they throw FD in then it makes the price fair.

I was saying the $70 difference is from our last AKL stay to the current 2014 prices at AKL (for the dates I plugged in). I was comparing prices from one year to the next at AKL only. My sticker shock comes not from the difference from a value to a mod or a mod to a deluxe, but rather the price increase from one year to the next at the same resort. I anticipate price increases, but not that much of an increase. It will make it hard for me to justify my next trip at AKL without a discount.

And yes, you're right that rack rate is overpriced. We love staying on property and will continue to, but really wish and hope for great discounts.

Not sure when you're going, but I priced our 2014 trip, and the prices for AKL Savanna were only $9/night more than 2013 rates. They did start charging a premium for Fri/Sat ($404 v. $377), but that still doesn't add up to $70/night.

But we're going in Value 2 season, so that might make a difference.

I plugged in summer dates because we're planning a trip for next June. We were looking at pool view. I may have miscalculated some because I may have accidentally compared standard room 2013 rate to pool room 2014 rate which would skew it slightly higher than it would have been.

I would be THRILLED if I'm completely wrong and there isn't that much of a difference.

When we originally booked ours, we were going to be in a king room at POR with tickets (hopper, water park), and DxDP. It was about $4000 for eight days, seven nights. Then an offer came out and we were able to save $500. Right now, without the discount, our vacation at the almost same time, it's $4400. However, we are considering upgrading our tickets to annual passes and getting a TiW card for after our trip and that should save us some money on the back end. We'll see.

I would love to be able to stay at a value and save money but DH is a big guy so have to have a queen bed. why can't Disney put queens in the values sheeeesh:confused3

If you make the value resorts too similar to the moderates, no one will book the moderates. Why pay for the upgrade if you don't get much more for your money?

I'd rather they keep the value resorts more simple and keep the cost lower.

I was pricing a vacation for just the two of us and CBR is 800 more than a value resort. I am just not sure if it is worth it. I can remember just a few years ago it was only 400 more which wasn't that big of a deal but 800 is a lot. Now trying to decide what to do:confused3

When you are going, and what value resort you are comparing CBR to makes a difference.

When I put in a random week in August CBR comes up not even $500 more for a week than the Pop. When are you going, and for how long?

I was pricing a vacation for just the two of us and CBR is 800 more than a value resort. I am just not sure if it is worth it. I can remember just a few years ago it was only 400 more which wasn't that big of a deal but 800 is a lot. Now trying to decide what to do:confused3

We love the values. POP is our fav. Staying again in December. Wouldn't waste the money on any others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter