Would you want the financial status you had at 25 years old back?

No. I hope that I have taught my kids to not be the financial 25 year old I was also.

Yes. I had a career and was making *really* good money from 25-35. After I had a breakdown and was hospitalized, everything changed and I was no longer able to work at all. I depend on an SSI check now and the generous help of my aunt.

Nope! Since then we've paid off a house, built our retirement and investment accounts and acquired a few nice things. I wouldn't want to go back to square one.

No that makes no sense. I earn more now and own a home .
I understand your thinking but the one thing that does make the proposition worth pondering is how much more time and potential I had then than there is left for me now. :scratchin

I understand your thinking but the one thing that does make the proposition worth pondering is how much more time and potential I had then than there is left for me now. :scratchin
Certainly true about time. I can't say about potential, because at least from a career standpoint, my wife and I had reached our peak........at least in hindsight.....by 25. We could have pursued two more career step ups, but there is no way to know if in the end if they would really have been step ups for us personally.

Certainly true about time. I can't say about potential, because at least from a career standpoint, my wife and I had reached our peak........at least in hindsight.....by 25. We could have pursued two more career step ups, but there is no way to know if in the end if they would really have been step ups for us personally.
:blush: Although you've mentioned it obliquely countless times, I confess to not understanding exactly what jobs you had in the news media. Age 25 was 30 years ago for me and with 6 years in my same industry already then, I was making less than a quarter as much as I make now and certainly wouldn't EVER still be in such a junior role. I don't know for sure (who really does about roads not taken?) but I suspect I'd have changed careers entirely if there wouldn't have been advancement opportunities. I made most of my progress in the last 16 years; since re-joining the workforce after keeping our home focusing on parenting when DS was little.

no way. 25 years ago, I was in the middle of a divorce, moving out of the house, had just gotten my first professional librarian job, and was making about 24K. Much more financially secure now w no mortgage and a much better paying job, and in a 2 income family.

Last edited:
I was 19 and a sophomore in college 25 years ago. I worked a student worker job 10 hours per week for $5.25/hr. I don't think I want that back.

:blush: Although you've mentioned it obliquely countless times, I confess to not understanding exactly what jobs you had in the news media. Age 25 was 30 years ago for me and with 6 years in my same industry already then, I was making less than a quarter as much as I make now and certainly wouldn't EVER still be in such a junior role. I don't know for sure (who really does about roads not taken?) but I suspect I'd have changed careers entirely if there wouldn't have been advancement opportunities. I made most of my progress in the last 16 years; since re-joining the workforce after keeping our home focusing on parenting when DS was little.
Basic staff structure in a TV Newsroom is/was when I started:
1) ENTRY LEVEL: Production Assistant, Associate Producer, Writer, Assignment Desk Assistant, Graphics Operator, Studio Camera operator. NONE OF THE ABOVE JOBS EXISTS ANY MORE IN ANY OF THE NEWS DEPARTMENTS HERE.

2) NEXT STEPUP: Producer (Digital and On Air), Video Editor, Reporter, Photographer, Assignment Editor,
3) NEXT STEPUP: Executive Producer, Managing Editor, Chief Photographer.
4) NEXT TIER: News Director
I was a Production Assistant for a year, a Newscast Producer for the next 25 years, the first 10 years at one station, the second 16 years at a second station and at my last station, the last 16 years of my career I was a Newscast Producer and Assignment Editor.
Salaries have eroded greatly in TV News. Because of my experience and seniorty, my 2021 salary when I retired was triple what my 1981 salary was. However, people hiring into those positions today will be earning half was I was when I retired.
Like I said, there are some jobs like TV news where there are aren't a lot of steps up in position available. My wife did the exact same job at the same place for 42 years. My mom was a surgical RN for 40 years, and for her, the only option within the hospital to step up was to become a supervisor, which she had no interest in.

Nope! About 25 years ago (give or take a year) my wife and I divorced leaving me with not much cash and a lot of expenses. I got lucky and was able to build up enough money to retire a little over 10 years later. I had to give up my dancing horses, but it seemed like a small sacrifice. Kidding I had no horses, but I saved every nickel I could until I felt I had enough to get me through with the help of SS. Now I'm a little worried depending on how long I continue to live. I am already way past the time I expected. But I will hang in for as long as I can. I can see that it is the only time when couples have more money than singles. It can be tight if you want to maintain at least a mild resemblance of comfort.

Heck no! We had two kids and I was expecting number three. We rented a house which even then was more than our mortgage now. We had one cheap car which meant I spent most days without a car. My husband's business was just starting and we were making it but it wasn't easy. Our groceries were planned around what I had coupons for and what was on sale. It was a lot of work and we made it but I'd never want to do those financially exhausting years again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter