Would This Be Crazy?

Kricketnp

DIS Veteran
In March, I am going to Vegas for a week. Originally, we were planning to split the week between Vegas and Disneyland, but we were able to get a timeshare in Vegas for a great price for a full week so doing that no longer makes sense.

However, I'm really getting the Disney itch. Would it be crazy to fly from Vegas for a day trip to DL, stay over one night and then fly back to Vegas the next afternoon? I'm thinking midweek like Tuesday-Wednesday or Wednesday-Thursday.

I would do it. Will you have a car? While it is a long drive, going through security, etc, for the airlines can make it take about the same amount of time.

I would do it. Will you have a car? While it is a long drive, going through security, etc, for the airlines can make it take about the same amount of time.

We weren't planning on renting a car. I'm pretty sure my fiance won't want to do it if we have to drive, but if we could fly, I may be able to convince him.

I don't think it'd be crazy at all. Are you thinking of fly in AM, do the parks. Sleep. Do the parks. Fly home? I'm not familiar with flights etc from LV, but I wonder if you'd be better off to rent a car and drive. I think it's about a 4.5 hour drive vs a 1.25 hr flight, but once you factor in time getting to/from the airport, time getting through security/check in, time checking in/out of hotel to store luggage (as opposed to being able to drive directly to the parks rather than drop luggage iywim) before hitting the parks. I wonder if there would be much more than an hour's difference? I guess it'd be about stamina.

We weren't planning on renting a car. I'm pretty sure my fiance won't want to do it if we have to drive, but if we could fly, I may be able to convince him.
It would be worth it to me to fly back and forth like that, but I am not crazy about Vegas. I tend to do things away from the strip, which requires a car. It sounds like you'll be doing stuff on the strip the whole week. Oddly, it does often work out to have a timeshare for a week and only use it for a few of the nights. That's been my experience anyway. I often leave mine during the the middle of the stay and do a front and back end stay.

I wonder if there would be much more than an hour's difference? I guess it'd be about stamina
That's what I was thinking, too. In my case, I do the majority of the driving and I hate driving. So, if someone wouldn't switch with me, I might end up being inclined to fly. Too bad there isn't a train that goes directly from one to the other.

There are buses and tours you could book as a day trip, so obviously people do it. Have you checked the flight schedule? What are your expectations for what 2 partial days will be like? Do you have a full week of stuff to do in Vegas otherwise?

X post. I see your fiancé won't drive. Personally, I'd dump him. :teeth:

haha! He probably would if I realllly wanted to, but I was thinking flying would be quicker/ easier, but now I'm reconsidering. I am in a boot right now and am not sure how much longer I'll be in it, so I can't count on being able to drive.

I've been to Vegas once before and think a few days are enough, which is why I wouldn't mind escaping to DL for a day!

I looked a bit at flights on Southwest and was considering flying early morning to Cali...taking a shuttle or Uber to disneyland and then flying back the next afternoon. My only concern is that I'd need to pack a bag to stay over in DL and am not sure what I'd do with it during the day.

haha! He probably would if I realllly wanted to, but I was thinking flying would be quicker/ easier, but now I'm reconsidering. I am in a boot right now and am not sure how much longer I'll be in it, so I can't count on being able to drive.

I've been to Vegas once before and think a few days are enough, which is why I wouldn't mind escaping to DL for a day!

I looked a bit at flights on Southwest and was considering flying early morning to Cali...taking a shuttle or Uber to disneyland and then flying back the next afternoon. My only concern is that I'd need to pack a bag to stay over in DL and am not sure what I'd do with it during the day.

Leave it at whatever hotel you are staying at near Disney.

How much luggage do you need for 1 night? Use a small backpack and don't bring anything that can't go through DLR security. Then get a locker.

How much luggage do you need for 1 night? Use a small backpack and don't bring anything that can't go through DLR security. Then get a locker.

LOL! Good point - just basically a change of clothes and some basic toiletries.

I think you could stay in one of the walking distance hotels/motels and leave your bag with the front desk. When you leave DL, walk to pick it up, call an Uber or Lyft and go to the airport. It sounds very doable. I think it will be easy and not time consuming at all.

Asking on a Disney forum if you should take a side trip to DL is like asking a shopaholic if you should stop by the mall.

That being said - I totally agree that you should do it - or something else for a few days (Grand Canyon? . A whole week is way more Vegas than most people need. A long weekend there is plenty for me.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...from-las-vegas-lake-mead-los-angeles-and-more

LOL true! I agree though...I think 3-4 days in Vegas is more than enough for me.

I found a bus trip to Disney that includes hotel and park ticket for about $500 a person... not sure if that's worth it or not because it'll take up a lot more time.
https://www.viator.com/tours/Las-Ve...ifornia-Adventure-Hopper-Pass/d684-3357LVTANA

If you fly, try to get a flight from Vegas that lands at the John Wayne Airport because that's closest to Disneyland.

If you don't go straight to your hotel first and instead go to Disneyland first, you can definitely store bags at Disneyland. There are lockers. 3 different sizes. There's info about them on Disneyland's website at the following link. However, those lockers definitely won't fit really big suitcases. There are lockers in the Esplanade, in Disneyland, and in DCA.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/locker-rentals/

I'm an AP holder in Norcal and often go down for quick overnight trips on weekends. I usually fly in to SNA early in the morning and go straight to DL. I only bring a change of clothes in my backpack so it fits in a locker. I'll usually take an afternoon break to go check into the hotel then back to the parks for evening entertainment. The next morning I'll just stash my backpack in a locker again until it's time to head back to the airport. I will grab a taxi from one of the DLR hotels or last time I walked over to a Harbor Blvd hotel and requested Uber from there. Easy-peasy!

Great idea... I would totally do it! :)

I know you said you wouldn't drive anyway but don't do it... LOL I live between Vegas and Anaheim and the drive can be ridiculous at times! You wouldn't want to risk losing any of your already short park time. ;)

Asking on a Disney forum if you should take a side trip to DL is like asking a shopaholic if you should stop by the mall.

That being said - I totally agree that you should do it - or something else for a few days (Grand Canyon? . A whole week is way more Vegas than most people need. A long weekend there is plenty for me.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...from-las-vegas-lake-mead-los-angeles-and-more

lol A whole week of Vegas is too much for you, imagine if you lived there ugh. Wish I could move to Anaheim!

I live in Vegas and although I love Disneyland I never make one day trips to Disneyland, I feel it's just not worth it, if you're gonna go for it GO FOR IT. I mean make the trip to Disney more than just one day. Also the drive is agonizing to me, I would fly if I were you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter