Would any of you find this helpful?

mrs cinderella

Earning My Ears
Hi all -

Bit of background here: my husband and I have moved to SoCal to be closer to my 98 year old grandmother and we all enjoy going to the parks here. I'm not working at the moment to be available to help drive her places and just spend time with her (I never lived close to any grandparents, just visited a couple times a year, and she's the last one I have left).

I was brainstorming and thought about starting a YouTube channel showcasing where things are in the park (literally starting at the front gate and showing how to get to 'x'), specifically focusing on restaurants to start, and giving an overview of the destination. It would just be a resource so folks can know better how to get around the parks and give some tips on making things smoother for your visit. So much of the restaurant content focuses on whether the food is good or bad, or the top 5 things to eat there, and neglects some other info I would find helpful.

My grandmother visits the parks in a wheelchair, so I was also considering including our experience of the accessibility options we use and how they work (transportation to/from the parking areas and boarding attractions for example). I've done some preliminary searches for this kind of thing and have not found much that is helpful or exhaustive.

I appreciate all the work the DIS does on their videos, but I feel like this is a missed opportunity within the Disney community. I'm such a visual learner, so I appreciate seeing things/places before I get there to wrap my head around everything, but I'm curious if anyone else is the same?! I'm in the very beginning stages here, so if someone else does this regularly, or it's not interesting/helpful, please let me know!

While it holds no interest to me that doesn’t mean there isn’t a market for it. Have you spent time searching YouTube for similar videos? That’s where I would start. From there the next step is record a couple and see what happens, no? Like, the only thing you have to lose is time and if you enjoy doing it then it’s not that much of a loss.

Yes, I've done some searches on YouTube and don't see anything like what I'm thinking of. Thanks for your input; I may just do it for fun whether anyone else wants it or not!

Definitely go for it! Even if you only end up doing a couple, its a great experience to create something and I know my brother & his helper would definitely love more visuals on wheelchair accessibility. Sounds like a fun project for you and your grandma to do together!

One thing, too, that you might include: post some video shot from the POV of the person seated in the wheelchair. I don't think most people have any idea what it's like to be in a wheelchair at all (unless they've actually been in one at a hospital, for example), much less what it's like to be in one all day at DLR. The difference in view as a standing, mobile person vs. the view of a seated, wheeled person is very, very different. Maybe people would be more considerate of wheelchairs (and ECVs, too) if they had some inkling of what the view from the chair looks like. And video shots of wheelchair accessibility in the parks might be helpful and reassuring for other guests who might be worried about that.

I'm not a big YouTube watcher. But yes, I would be interested in watching.

Will be going on a mom and me adventure for her 87th in about 7 weeks. She is in a transfer chair.

One thing, too, that you might include: post some video shot from the POV of the person seated in the wheelchair. I don't think most people have any idea what it's like to be in a wheelchair at all (unless they've actually been in one at a hospital, for example), much less what it's like to be in one all day at DLR. The difference in view as a standing, mobile person vs. the view of a seated, wheeled person is very, very different. Maybe people would be more considerate of wheelchairs (and ECVs, too) if they had some inkling of what the view from the chair looks like. And video shots of wheelchair accessibility in the parks might be helpful and reassuring for other guests who might be worried about that.

This is a really great idea. I had to be in a wheelchair for a day after we did the WDW Marathon and it was a totally different experience in the parks.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. My husband and I did some more brainstorming last night and I think we have some good ideas. Still a lot of researching and planning to do, but I will definitely keep everyone updated as we try this out! :thumbsup2

I've looked specifically for videos like this, that would be awesome. Its usually a walk through with no sound, or the people just show up where they planned on going and just try and describe how they got there. Not very helpful for people that have never been

I've looked specifically for videos like this, that would be awesome. Its usually a walk through with no sound, or the people just show up where they planned on going and just try and describe how they got there. Not very helpful for people that have never been

What would you like to see in these videos? Something that literally goes straight to the destination, or something that points things out along the route to the destination, like bathrooms, potential meet and greet areas, places to sit and relax, etc.? Or something else entirely?

We've also considered doing exhaustive tours of areas of the parks to highlight where things are located in each area. Maybe that would also be useful? :confused3

Definitely more direction, and mor on the details. Maybe do like a detailed look at Fl or do one restaurant and maybe show the path to get there. Things like that

I say do it. I also like to visually see certain things before I go.

One thing I would personally like to see is where FP machines for each ride are located and also what the FP entrance to the ride looks like.

My grandmother visits the parks in a wheelchair, so I was also considering including our experience of the accessibility options we use and how they work (transportation to/from the parking areas and boarding attractions for example). I've done some preliminary searches for this kind of thing and have not found much that is helpful or exhaustive.

This could be very helpful. My sister has searched for videos for our D23/DL trip and not had much luck. She has done WDW with a rollator, wheelchair and EVC, so we have the logistics down there, but at DL there seems to have more non-accessible queues. So, she is a bit anxious on some of the ways to get around in some areas. She watches some videos that show people going places via stairs, but they never indicate the non-stair options.

I am thinking about getting her a video camera for her birthday that we can mount to whatever device she is using for when we go places just to show her POV.

I think it sounds like a great idea!

I'll admit I have some significant anxiety in new situations. I also travel solo, so then I get anxiety that people are staring at the chick who just walked in alone, *and* she doesn't know what the heck is going on! I can't imagine I'm the only one that avoids (or just completely misses) something because they didn't know it was there. So, pointed videos about a certain subject could be a great help!

I think it sounds like a great idea!

I'll admit I have some significant anxiety in new situations. I also travel solo, so then I get anxiety that people are staring at the chick who just walked in alone, *and* she doesn't know what the heck is going on! I can't imagine I'm the only one that avoids (or just completely misses) something because they didn't know it was there. So, pointed videos about a certain subject could be a great help!

Yep... that’s me you are talking about...:rolleyes2
As an example: I missed Indiana Jones for 2 or 3 trips and buzz as well... I had no idea what those attractions were at that time... :rolleyes1

So I think it a great idea to make some YouTube footage... especially for people with wheelchairs...I luckily don’t need them but lots of people use them and I think those need all the help there is to make a full Disneyland day manageable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter