Worth it to take time out to see Fort Wilderness decorations around Halloween?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We'll be at AS Mov late Oct-early Nov. Do the campsites at Fort Wilderness still decorate a lot for Halloween & still have a parade? We'd love to see either or both but not sure of the best way to get there & if we can just walk around to look or have to rent a golf cart. We do have HDDR at 8:30 early Nov but will decorations still be up? Also may still be light out. Or, are we allowed to drive over on a day we have no dining reserved in Oct?

Last edited:
We'll be at AS Mov late Oct-early Nov. Do the campsites at Fort Wilderness still decorate a lot for Halloween & still have a parade? We'd love to see either or both but not sure of the best way to get there & if we can just walk around to look or have to rent a golf cart. We do have HDDR at 8:30 early Nov but will decorations still be up? Also may still be light out. Or, are we allowed to drive over on a day we have no dining reserved in Oct?
IIRC, Fort Wilderness restricts access on Hallloween to people who are staying there or have ADRS. I think it's just that one night. I'm sure someone will post to correct me if I'm wrong.

As @Best Aunt posted above Disney has been restricting access to Ft. Wilderness on Halloween to Ft. Wilderness registered guests only. The Ft. Wilderness guests have been complaining about the crowds.

They usually have CMs check guests that want to board buses & boats bound for Ft. Wilderness around Halloween. It just became a circus with all the local area residents visiting / driving through not to mention all the WDW guests also wanting to visit on Halloween to see the lights / costumes.

They also don't allow you to rent a Golf cart if you are not staying at Ft. Wilderness. You will not be allowed in park unless you have a HDDR or other ADR.

Best bet if you must visit is to use Disney transportation (bus or boat) and arrive well before late afternoon and even then you may be turned away before you board the bus or boat on Halloween.

Dave

The decorations will still be out the first couple of days after Halloween itself. Also, if I remember correctly, when I was there in 2019 the golf cart parade was on the 30th as was the pet parade, not the 31st. If you want to see the decorations just go before Halloween. Take the boat and walk the closest loops (100, 200, 300, 400).

Campers are more concerned with outsiders coming in on Halloween trick or treat activities as we’re doing that for the kids at the Fort.

They also don't allow you to rent a Golf cart if you are not staying at Ft. Wilderness. You will not be allowed in park unless you have a HDDR or other ADR.

To clarify, you can only make an advance reservation for a golf cart if you are staying at the Fort.

HOWEVER,

Even non-Fort guests can get a same-day cart rental on their day at the Fort if any are available (which is the key and chances are slim). You just can't reserve one in advance. So it's unlikely but not impossible.

There are so many guests and cars and trailers in the parking lots and overflow parking lots that, as advised above, you need a reservation for a cash event (HDDR, TE ADR, horse ride) enter the Fort parking lot past the guard.

Also, about half the Fort leaves to go home the day after Halloween on November 1 so there are much fewer Halloween decorations after the holiday (Christmas stuff starts going up). We call the departures the Trail of Tears because Fort Wilderness Trail is solid for about 30 minutes of cars/trucks/rvs/trailers around the 11am checkout time as they creep along toward the exits.

My advice is to use Disney transportation to get to the Fort on a day BEFORE Oct 30 and use the internal bus system to pick spots to get out and walk several loops. But I have no clue when/if they might start checking bus/boat guests this year.

Bama Ed

PS - it's worth the effort to see the camper Halloween decorations IMO

Last edited:
To clarify, you can only make an advance reservation for a golf cart if you are staying at the Fort.

HOWEVER,

Even non-Fort guests can get a same-day cart rental on their day at the Fort if any are available (which is the key and chances are slim). You just can't reserve one in advance. So it's unlikely but not impossible.

There are so many guests and cars and trailers in the parking lots and overflow parking lots that, as advised above, you need a reservation for a cash event (HDDR, TE ADR, horse ride) enter the Fort parking lot past the guard.

Also, about half the Fort leaves to go home the day after Halloween on November 1 so there are much fewer Halloween decorations after the holiday (Christmas stuff starts going up). We call the departures the Trail of Tears because Fort Wilderness Trail is solid for about 30 minutes of cars/trucks/rvs/trailers around the 11am checkout time as they creep along toward the exits.

My advice is to use Disney transportation to get to the Fort on a day BEFORE Oct 30 and use the internal bus system to pick spots to get out and walk several loops. But I have no clue when/if they might start checking bus/boat guests this year.

Bama Ed

PS - it's worth the effort to see the camper Halloween decorations IMO
I have a hoop Dee ADR on 10/31 will we be allowed to see the camps? Would it be alright if my kids trick o treated?

I have a hoop Dee ADR on 10/31 will we be allowed to see the camps? Would it be alright if my kids trick o treated?
Yes and no. I assume you already know you can't drive around in a car, so if you drove, just keep it parked. Regardless as to how you got there, you still need to take an internal bus to the HDDR. Unless you came by boat from MK.
My advice for what it's worth, after your dinner show jump on an internal bus and ride to the loops you want to see. Get off at the stop, walk the loop and let the kids TOT. Rinse and repeat till you're done or have had enough.
So the no part is its technically not permitted to TOT, in the campground on Halloween night unless you are staying there.

If you and the kids have a HDDR reservation then you will be allowed to park the car (if you can find a spot, that is-they use big fields and just about anywhere else to put cars) or board a boat at MK. Give yourself extra time to get in and get situated.

You don't mention which show time you have for Hoop but be advised that ToT generally has run 6pm-9pm. The one year I was there for Halloween in loop 100 (close to HDDR) I ran out of candy a little after 8pm.

Once you're in the Fort, you will look like every other happy camper enjoying the event. So I agree with @Stratman50th to let the kids enjoy the experience of ToT. My only difference is I would just hit the loops close to HDDR to maximize ToT time. 100, 200, 400, 700 are all clustered together close by.

Smart move on booking Hoop for 10/31.

Bama Ed

So I’ve never seen the campsites or camp grounds during Halloween. I’m interested in it so we made a reservation at Trails End on Halloween for right before 5pm. Our group has 8 adults and 2 kids (12mo and 16mo). Obviously the kids are too young to understand and we just want to do some kind of ToT with them (we took them to one neighbors house last year just so they could meet them 😂 I mean it was just a 2 week old and 4m old haha )

We don’t even know what they will be dressed as but thought it would be fun. We will most likely hang at the resort during the day.

I’m also waiting to see if the activity boards will be posted for the resorts at the beginning of Oct to know what’s happening around them to help plan that day.

Any loops in particular that tend to have more decorations - like ones closer to HDDR or closer to the entrance? We're thinking of going a few days/week before halloween, but last few years, no carts were available, so we had to walk it.

While we'll utilize the interior bus, would be great to know if there are certain loops to hit first - maybe ones with the "regulars" who reserve every year and do a lot decorations wise?

In order to get a cabin for the last 2-3 days of October, when do you need to book with Disney? Do you have to call?

In order to get a cabin for the last 2-3 days of October, when do you need to book with Disney? Do you have to call?
For this October??? It’s probably too late for this year. Book as soon as you have dates, you can call or do it online.

Yes, always worth it! It's a blast but as many people mentioned above, almost impossible to get in with a car.
I will share though that this entire weekend I have seen openings pop up at Trails end for the 31st if you want to go that route.
We usually stay at the Fort all day on Halloween, because we have 2 cars and don't want to lose our parking spots! LOL! However the few years that we have been in the parks and head back to the Fort on the boat, we have never been asked if were staying there or had anyone check our bands at all. It may also be random checks to keep people on their toes. My kids usually leave at a different time than we do, because they each have friends that stay with us on Halloween night and they prefer driving the golf carts around on that day, rather than be in the parks (all licensed drivers).
As others have mentioned though, you can see the decor almost all month, with it's peak being the week before all the way through a few days after. I'm lazy and leave up Halloween for quite a bit of time before I even begin putting up Christmas! We have way more Halloween stuff than Christmas anyway!
Good luck with whatever you decide, you will still see a decent amount on foot if you can't get a cart but you could also go earlier and rent bikes at the barn, which is a lot of fun too!

No. Any year in the future. 2024, 2025.
499 days out is the official stance for holidays and such, but the cabins don't fill up AS FAST...but they still do within that range. This is one you need to know asap. As of now they are already sold out for 2023 but they will definitely have cancellations before then, you just have to keep your eyes open!

As far as early November, my decorations will still be up, I'm slow to take them down and my teenagers are too busy running around with friends so we leave them for a bit until we bite the bullet and get the Christmas up in its place!
It will be difficult to drive over at that time, as there is no parking and not really good to see it all from a car. You can do the internal bus and get out at each loop and walk or go early and rent bikes, that is a lot of fun!

Yes, definitely take the time to look around while you are there and since you have an ADR, I would go ahead and TOT, just beware that a lot of people run out of candy early. One thing I will suggest, just as a nicety is to bring a bag of candy to hand out on the buses or as you walk, because then you are giving some as well as taking. Sometimes we don't feel like being at our site and we leave tons of candy on a table and then take even more on the cart with us and hand out as we go looping!
So I’ve never seen the campsites or camp grounds during Halloween. I’m interested in it so we made a reservation at Trails End on Halloween for right before 5pm. Our group has 8 adults and 2 kids (12mo and 16mo). Obviously the kids are too young to understand and we just want to do some kind of ToT with them (we took them to one neighbors house last year just so they could meet them 😂 I mean it was just a 2 week old and 4m old haha )

We don’t even know what they will be dressed as but thought it would be fun. We will most likely hang at the resort during the day.

I’m also waiting to see if the activity boards will be posted for the resorts at the beginning of Oct to know what’s happening around them to help plan that day.

Enjoy! It's a lot of fun and they may have fun handing out candy too, yes they are young but it is a fun way to see kids interact! Bring a bag and share while on the bus or while walking!

When we were @ "The Fort" for Halloween in 2019, we passed out over 1000 pieces of candy. We had a blast & the kids were so nice & polite!! Enjoy your trio & HDDR!
We spend over 200.00 on candy at SAMS and still ran out! It's easy to do, because there just seem to be an unlimited stream of kids! One year our 3 kids came back and had to replenish our candy bowl with one of their own treat sacks, because we ran out much earlier than expected!!! It barely put a dent in their personal stash and they combine it all anyway. The amount of sugar high energy kids on electric scooters can get is beyond insane!!

Not my vid, but this is basicly what it looks like. So , pretty much all loops have decorations. And you probably will not see them all. We did Halloween with the kido in 2019? We had a golf cart and crowded would be an understatement. We saw every loop in the weeks we were their, but not on halloween night. Its really unthinkable how many people are walking around. And as they stated above, no parking. At all. Especially on Halloween. So, take the boat and buses.

Oh my!!! Thank you so MUCH for posting that video! I had no idea what it looked like. The Fort Wilderness campsite decorations are a complete 180 from Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! The scary clowns, bared teeth/fangs, flickering lights, and abundant skeletons would utterly terrify our young grandkids, even during daylight hours. There is NO WAY we would bring any of the 9 of them there at their ages (between 1-6 years old) and sensitivity. Whew! You've really spared us by posting this. It looks much more like UO than like WDW... tons of fun for older kids and teens but not at all for our littles. Thanks again. :thumbsup2

The Fort Wilderness campsite decorations are a complete 180 from Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!
It's important to realize the decorations at Ft Wilderness Campground are done by private individuals and not WDW. Just like on your own street - the neighbor on one side may have happy cutesy decorations while the neighbor on the other side goes all out with ghoulish and scary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter