Worst wedding presents ever....

Jaya

DIS Veteran
OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....what is the worst wedding present you received? Mine would be a toss-up between the used and stained tablecloth his aunt gave us or the book on how to convert your spouse to your religion one of MY relatives gave us. C'mon....let's hear about yours!

The check that bounced.

Yikes! :eek:

I don't recall anything too bad. Except people gave us a million wedding glasses. You know, the bride/groom ones? How many of those do we need? I think we re-gifted a few during a particular busy wedding season but also included some money.

I don't know if it was the WORST, but it was certainly odd. A family of 5 was invited. They RSVP'd. We included them in our head count and paid for the caterer. They no-showed. Apparently they decided going to Carowinds would be a better use of their time that day (Carowinds is a Six-Flags-esque theme park). They gave us two park tix as a wedding gift a few days later.

Another one, from my MIL. Two HIDEOUS...I mean attrocious looking vases in this awful poop brown/gray color. Clearly the potter who made them had made a mistake when spinning them on the wheel and they had started to collapse. But the determined potter decided to call the two leaning/deformed vases a matched set of "hugging vases" (because when placed together one appears to lean towards the other). So MIL bought them as a wedding gift for us. I've displayed them on the buffet in my dining room since we married in 2005. In 2011 my MIL went through a series of insane moves that ultimately led to us cutting her out of our lives...among them, reclaiming the vases from my buffet while I wasn't home saying "You never use them." It's true, they've never held a flower, but I have always displayed them...for comedic value if nothing else. She also took the buffet itself. And the last can of Who-hash.

Oh and a wok. The wok wasn't bad but the card that was to them from someone else that they left in it......

We got a set of ugly kitchen canisters that were re-gifted. The Christmas wrapping paper still attached to the bottom of the box gave it away. :laughing:

OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....what is the worst wedding present you received? Mine would be a toss-up between the used and stained tablecloth his aunt gave us or the book on how to convert your spouse to your religion one of MY relatives gave us. C'mon....let's hear about yours!

You mentioned this on another thread and I just have to ask...by any chance was it a handmade family heirloom? We've got a couple of pieces like this that have made the rounds and the sentimental value is enormous.

OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....

sorry, can't relate
we started out with nothing, and were very grateful for all the various gifts we received (we didn't do any registries - not our cup o' tea)

25 years later & we still have almost all the non-cash items, including various homemade things (cross-stitch pictures, crocheted hand towels, etc.) and a number of "low quality/cheap" kitchenware items -- and I think we even still have a few bath towels yet that have a wee bit of life left in them (although, sadly, most finally gave up the ghost a number of years ago)

I suppose one might say the "worst" gift we were given was the gift that wasn't: an intended homemade gift that was never completed, thus we were never given it (and I have no idea what became of the half-done item). I would have loved to receive it even if years later, but I still really appreciate the thought and effort that went into the attempt regardless.

A crystal picture with a card in it that said "happy secretary's day." And a filtered water pitcher we tried to return but couldn't because it was apparently part if a set.

I shouldn't admit this, but it's sort of been weighing on me for a few years. 10 years ago, my grandma died but my best friend was too busy with her online boyfriend to give me the time of day. Our friendship was thrown to the wayside because of that. She invited me to her wedding and I really thought about not going as I wasn't much friends with her anymore. At the time I was realllllllly poor. I was a teen mom who wasn't making ends meet very well, but I knew I had to get her a gift. *Sigh*, I found a bobblehead Famous Dave's pig that I wrapped up and gave to them. I'm sure it was their absolute worst gift and I feel so bad. For years I've considered sending them something nice but I don't know if I should. Oh well, I'll take the title of bad gift giver of the century.

My new MIL was dropped off on my doorstep the day after the wedding. The other family members said it was now my turn to take care of her. She ended up living with us for 6 years.

I shouldn't admit this, but it's sort of been weighing on me for a few years. 10 years ago, my grandma died but my best friend was too busy with her online boyfriend to give me the time of day. Our friendship was thrown to the wayside because of that. She invited me to her wedding and I really thought about not going as I wasn't much friends with her anymore. At the time I was realllllllly poor. I was a teen mom who wasn't making ends meet very well, but I knew I had to get her a gift. *Sigh*, I found a bobblehead Famous Dave's pig that I wrapped up and gave to them. I'm sure it was their absolute worst gift and I feel so bad. For years I've considered sending them something nice but I don't know if I should. Oh well, I'll take the title of bad gift giver of the century.

I had no idea who Famous Dave's pig was so I googled it. I lol'ed. While, that is not an awesome gift... I'm sure there are worse :-)

I don't know if it was the WORST, but it was certainly odd. A family of 5 was invited. They RSVP'd. We included them in our head count and paid for the caterer. They no-showed. Apparently they decided going to Carowinds would be a better use of their time that day (Carowinds is a Six-Flags-esque theme park). They gave us two park tix as a wedding gift a few days later.

And the last can of Who-hash.

:rotfl2: at the Who-hash.

I'd actually be rather pleased and pleasantly surprised to receive Carowinds tickets.

Not a horrible gift per se, but DW and I received a gift pack of four jars of fancy olives from one of her friends.

Jim

Not a wedding gift but for Christmas one year my ex FIL gave me bubble wrap and hand soap. From the dollar store.

Not me - but a friend of mine who is the nicest, sweetest person on the face of the earth got two washcloths for a wedding present that had no card attached.

She was horrified that she was not sending a thank you note to the anonymous donor. But on the other hand she did not want to ask people that had not sent a present if they had sent the two wash clothes.

Talk about a rock and a hard place. She is so kind. She genuinely appreciated the gift but could not give the appropriate thanks. She is the last person on the face of the earth who expected anything so she did not want to put down the present.

The only reason that I even know about it is because she discreetly asked me if I had a clue who gave the present.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter