Worst Things About Animal Kingdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been to AK on 4 trips so far--2 AK days per trip. Since 3 of those trips were in September, and one in November, we've only braved the animal discovery trails once (in November--it was lovely). On those September trips, it is so hot and humid and there is no air moving in those trails. It's enough to give me a panic attack! LOL.

Also, I agree with those who find AK's layout confusing. Because of all the trees and lack of line-of-sight, I rarely know exactly where I am. And it is such a big park, if you need to get from one side to the other it is a LONG walk.

It is the most difficult park to navigate in a wheelchair or ECV. Most of the reasons have already been stated by others:
Rough, uneven pavement, guests are funneled down winding paths, which makes it tough to maintain space between the ECV and the walking folks, humid, sometimes it’s hard to tell which pathway to follow to get to the right destination, no benches or places for asthmatics or COPD suffers to stop and catch their breath, pathways are slick in the rain and much tougher to move in when it’s overcast or dark outside as the lighting is limited.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I wish people weren't allowed to use flash photography during Festival of the Lion King. Live in the moment, friends!

Also, the Up bird show is not nearly as good as the old one. I wish Tough to be a Bug would be updated, though.

Dinoland. The land as a whole seems like a waste of space to me.

Biggest negative to me is Dinoland but not all of it.

Dinoland. It's just my least favorite area. om. :)

The carnival atmosphere in DinoLand (I know the story behind it, but most tourists don't and it doesn't seem very "Disney")

Agree, Agree, Agree, Agree, and Agree.

Even with the back story of Walt's love for the local carnival, Dinoland is COMPLETELY out of place in the park. FWIW, I don't really even consider Dinosaur as part of Dinoland, since it's in its own dedicated area away from "Carni land", and has proper Disney Theming to go along with the ride and it's entrance. I remember our very first visit to AK back in 2010 and stumbling across Dinoland, thinking, this doesn't seem very Disney to me. Super Cheesy. It just doesn't live up to Disney quality standard IMO and it takes you back to your local fair or carnival. Out. Of. Place.

Dan

I actually enjoy AK. The ONLY issue I have with it is the crappy carnival garbage does not fit with the rest of the park and the Nemo show could go away in favor of a show that better fits with the idea of Animal Kingdom.

Agree, Agree, Agree, Agree, and Agree.

Even with the back story of Walt's love for the local carnival, Dinoland is COMPLETELY out of place in the park. FWIW, I don't really even consider Dinosaur as part of Dinoland, since it's in its own dedicated area away from "Carni land", and has proper Disney Theming to go along with the ride and it's entrance. I remember our very first visit to AK back in 2010 and stumbling across Dinoland, thinking, this doesn't seem very Disney to me. Super Cheesy. It just doesn't live up to Disney quality standard IMO and it takes you back to your local fair or carnival. Out. Of. Place.

Dan
True but there is a deep story to Chester and Hester's. They even thematically aged the asphalt to make it look older than it is.

Well so far, this is the most predictable show ever. Haha! The consensus is amazingly spot-on! 1. Layout 2. Heat 3. Dinoland/carnival theming

It’s my least favorite park to be in when it’s raining. Long walking distance between the indoor attractions, and long walks without anywhere to duck inside for cover.

Before FP+, we’d always wait until last minute to choose our AK day (we’d decide the night before or even morning of) based on the weather.

I love AK (even Dinoland, I think it’s hilarious and I love the backstory). But I really don’t like being there in the rain. Rain doesn’t bother me in any of the other parks. Just AK.

I love all the Disney parks in WDW but this is my least favorite, if I had to choose. I find the layout somewhat confusing and harder to navigate than the others. With little kids in tow, this affects my overall enjoyment. Agree with others that it feels more crowded than the other parks and we seem to get more easily caught in traffic. Obviously MK is very crowded on a good day. But, it feels easier to adjust to the traffic patterns in relation to the # of guests.

I also agree with other posters that Dinoland leaves a lot to be desired. I always feel like I’ve just walked into my local town carnival atmosphere whenever I hit that end of the park. I know that is the point with the design theme, but I’m not looking for a carnival when I’m at Disney. I feel like I should be pulling ride tickets out of my pocket.

The inside part of the line for Tough to be a Bug is really claustrophobic to me.
Kali River rapids is kind of tame. Many times I've walked off barely wet at all.
Navi River Journey is nice but they could have done more with that ride. Even a little drop like POTC has would have made it more fun.
Knowing the backstory, we think Dinoland is great. But...they could probably replace the games with something else. Nobody plays the games.
AK is second only to Epcot for me!

Last edited:
Okay, I promise, this is the last time I ask you these wide open questions, but we have one more episode to go with these topics! What do you think are the worst things about Animal Kingdom? Y'all basically said everything about the park was the best about it, so I'm super interested in hearing what you think the worst aspects are.

Okey Dokie! I would say Nothing is worst about AK. It is my favorite park, always has been.
I am a little upset that the easy going ambience will soon be replaced by the mad dash to SWworld, but that's it:)
Don't mind these questions. They are fun, and I think you really do want to know what we think.

Maharajah Jungle Trek & Gorilla Falls Trail are both only open during the hottest parts of the day when the animals are not as likely to be up and about.

Unless I’m taking others to WDW - my husband and I always skip AK

Makes me think of another one - how decisive it is amongst people

It is one of our (if not our #1) favorite park and I could spend hours and hours juts wandering it ... but I know other people aren't big fans

So when I group I think it is harder to play your day at AK. Like, even if EPCOT isn't your favorite park I think everyone can find *something* to spend some time there doing, but some people just really don't like AK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter