Worried, scattered thunderstorms all week for our first trip to Disney...

pompito

Earning My Ears
Will all the rain cause us to miss a lot while at Disney? I know that Fantasmic doesn't happen when it rains but what else do we have to worry about missing if the rain is really as heavy as predicted? Also, what can we continue to experience/see while it is raining?

Scattered T-storms most likely means it will rain for a little while in the afternoon but clear off before evening. If you play it smart, it can actually work in your favor. When the rain starts, people will start heading for the exits in droves. Instead of leaving, take shelter in a shop or indoor attraction till the worst is over and then enjoy the park with much lighter crowds and cooler temps!

scattered usually isnt that bad for FL, means like maybe some rain... When it just says 'thunderstorms' or 'severe thunderstorms' thats when it is more likely that it will rain for a longer portion of the day. if it helps any, it POURED everyday during our first trip. Was nice the day we arrived and the day we left, the rest of the week was rain all day everyday. And we still enjoyed our trip!

Yeah, welcome to Florida.

The weather forecasts are very misleading though.
I was there for the last 2 weeks of July last year for my wedding and honeymoon and my now wife was panicked because the weather forecast showed a greay cloud every day.
It rains most days but not for long...just enough to cool it down a little and once the clouds roll on the sun dries it all up pretty quickly.

Modan

Thank you for making me feel better. I was starting to imagine a week of sitting in our hotel room instead of enjoying the parks.

It rarely rained 24/7 any time my family was at Disney. Rain is always an advantage. The locals will see rain on the forecast and avoid Disney. Then if it rains in the morning it will stop another group of people. Then if it rains while you are in the park, almost every time there is at least 50% less people there when the rain lightens up. I say just go in a shop or restaurant until it is over.

It usually rains somewhere around Disney everyday in the summer months (everywhere in Fl for that matter too). The rains can last from a few minutes to a few hours. They are usually in the afternoon. That is just part of our tropical weather pattern

We are leaving tomorrow from our trip. It rained Monday morning ( we were at MK) able to do what we wanted. No more rain the rest of the week. / yeah

Scattered T-storms most likely means it will rain for a little while in the afternoon but clear off before evening. If you play it smart, it can actually work in your favor. When the rain starts, people will start heading for the exits in droves. Instead of leaving, take shelter in a shop or indoor attraction till the worst is over and then enjoy the park with much lighter crowds and cooler temps!

Exactly! Florida weather is really unpredictable but do expect light noon showers. They aren't bad, but enough to drive people out haha.

AGREE! LOVE the 4pm Rain showers! For example... When Rain hit at MK...we headed to Mickey's Philharmagic... (INdoors)...by the time it was over the rain was over...and the park had cleared out...which meant FEWER LINES for the park.....

IF you are PONCHO PEOPLE... (we have been before) get your poncho's before you leave town from the dollar store (2 poncho's for a dollar). WDW will charge $6-$10 Per Poncho. We did this before...HOWEVER .... as of late... we just are "like to get wet people"....so we brave it and run from attraction to attraction.....

Just a few ideas....

Hugs,
Mary

That thunderstorn forecast is "standard" for WDW. It was the same for us the week we went in May. And it rained for about two hours only ONCE the entire week.
Don't even give it a second thought.

It's June, there is always going to be scattered thunderstorms in the forecast. That does not mean an all day rain. I've gone in June many times, there can be a quick shower usually late in the afternoon. It is so hot, you will welcome it!

It rarely rained 24/7 any time my family was at Disney. Rain is always an advantage. The locals will see rain on the forecast and avoid Disney.

That part made me laugh because "we Floridians" know the forecast for the entire summer is hot with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Most people I know don't go to Disney(too expensive) and the ones that do either work there or have seasonal passes and our black out dates started today till August 19.
Even if we didn't have black outs we'd avoid the park in summertime too hot and way too crowded.

But yeh, the afternoon rain will cool things down and empty the parks, at least for awhile.

It rained every day but one...we never missed a beat. They last about 30 min to an hour. Just take cover during the thunderstorm...when it passes and is just raining, put your panchos on and enjoy.

Let me just point out that on our trip in May, the last week we were there they were predicting rain.

It rained twice. For about an hour.

It got to the point where I just threw the umbrellas in the bag and didnt bother looking at the weather. It stressed me out WAY too much.

Thank you so very, very much for all the replies and helping to put my mind at ease. We leave for the world on Tuesday and I already have enough to stress out about without adding the weather forecast to it as well.

Thank you so very, very much for all the replies and helping to put my mind at ease. We leave for the world on Tuesday and I already have enough to stress out about without adding the weather forecast to it as well.

Two trips ago, we had some serious rain in the afternoons---but if you're prepared, it's not a show stopper at all. Like a pp said, pick up cheapie ponchos from the dollar store and if you are wearing socks, you may want to have a change of socks and/or shoes handy. I'd avoid umbrellas due to the unwieldiness of an umbrella in a crowd.

Have a great trip--remember a rainy day at WDW beats a sunny day in the office anytime:wizard:

It rarely rained 24/7 any time my family was at Disney. Rain is always an advantage. The locals will see rain on the forecast and avoid Disney. Then if it rains in the morning it will stop another group of people. Then if it rains while you are in the park, almost every time there is at least 50% less people there when the rain lightens up. I say just go in a shop or restaurant until it is over.

See that is where you are wrong...;) The locals see the forecast & know what it means. It is the same forecast all summer long. That doesn't stop us that have annuals... it is those that don't live here who worry and post about the weather when it says rain.....;)

We were there middle of May and rain was forecast every day. IF it rained, the showers were pretty quick. It was interesting though. In years past, if it started drizzling, people would head for the buses. NOT THIS TIME--people must have caught on because the majority seemed to stick it out! Line for Haunted Mansion changed from 10 minutes to 40!! I know, its an indoor ride. I get it--but instead of leaving, people headed to the indoor rides. In years past we looked forward to the rain so we had the park to ourselves. Seems like the secret got out!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter