World of Color Dining Pkg or Dessert Party?

Thank you. Interesting that instead of plates they are doing plastic trays now. A bit less elegant but solves the bread sharing and boxing up problems.

Note that the weather on May 6 was less than ideal, so I don't actually know if this is the "new normal" or an exception.

As someone who spent the last Disney trip holding his son through all of the nighttime events, the attraction of a reserved seat is a big one. My back can't sustain carrying the kids anymore. But the way I am actually justifying the expense for a family of four is by using CS for most of our other dining. At the moment, I am just doing the MSEP package at Blue Bayou on 7/3 and the WOC Dessert Party on 7/4. In both cases, we are getting "experiences" in addition to our meals (plus, I have never been to Blue Bayou before, so that is a plus). Everything else on the trip will be CS and probably I will even bring in fruit/vegetables/snacks to keep the expenses down.

I am also doing the MSEP on 7/1 and WoC dessert on the 4th! Maybe we will see you there! LOL!

How early do you line up for your spot? This is what I'm considering (same restaurant)

Like 30 minutes before the show starts, they say you don't need to show up that early, but I don't consider it to be that early when you think about everyone else getting in line hours before hand for normal sections. Even 30 minutes early we are practically the first people into our section each time. The preferred dining section never fills up.

So now we're leaning towards doing the dessert party on July 23rd or 24th. When should I plan on booking by?

We've done both and I will never do the dining package again. It was miserable, packed in like sardines and i spent the whole time trying to see around the person in front of us.
The dessert party was amazing, perfect views for all three of us (my mom is 4'11 and my daughter is 6) the cheese and fruit were a perfect light dinner and while the desserts didn't blow me away, they were good. It's worth every penny because you are sitting ina comfortable chair, guaranteed great view, and you don't have to line up early. I just booked for a second time for June.

Like 30 minutes before the show starts, they say you don't need to show up that early, but I don't consider it to be that early when you think about everyone else getting in line hours before hand for normal sections. Even 30 minutes early we are practically the first people into our section each time. The preferred dining section never fills up.

Thanks for getting back to me. If 30 minutes, then the dining package seems worth it as I agree, that's not bad at all. Even when I have theater tickets with reserved seats, I always arrive at 30-40 minutes early.

So arrive 30 min. early to the Dessert Party?

Midnightred

They will tell you what time to arrive when you make your reservations. As long as you arrive by that time, you are guaranteed a seat. I do think it's about 30 minutes or so before WOC. However, if you arrive earlier than that, you will have a better chance at getting your choice of seats. We arrived 30 minutes before they told us to arrive and were among the first seated. However, you don't have to be there that early because unlike the preferred dining packages, there are a lot of good seats.

So if WOC is at 9 they will probably say to arrive by 8:30 or so, which is latest you should arrive, or get there earlier to get your pick of seats.

We are WDW vets planning a first time trip to DLR. I have a few questions about WOC. Are there both dessert parties & dining packages? If so, what are people's opinions about which one is better & why?

Yes they have both.

Dessert party:
Pro- seat at table so no standing, no mad rush, food, adorable light up cups for kids.
Con: Food isn't very good imo and high cost event. Location has unobstructed view but it's a bit removed

Dining package:
Pro- cost is lower, some great restaurant options for a very nice meal, if you plan it right, you can get a spot right on the rail
Con- standing room only, have to get there early to get a prime spot, if you don't get a spot on the rail, you may be disappointed.

We've done both and enjoyed both for the reasons above. If you're up to standing and getting there early (45-60 minutes before show), I'd study the map so you know the dining group area and where you want to be. The area is massive and having a handle on the scope/layout is very helpful. If you want zero stress and don't mind being a little removed and the high cost, dessert party was very nice.

Yes they have both.

Dessert party:
Pro- seat at table so no standing, no mad rush, food, adorable light up cups for kids.
Con: Food isn't very good imo and high cost event. Location has unobstructed view but it's a bit removed

Dining package:
Pro- cost is lower, some great restaurant options for a very nice meal, if you plan it right, you can get a spot right on the rail
Con- standing room only, have to get there early to get a prime spot, if you don't get a spot on the rail, you may be disappointed.

We've done both and enjoyed both for the reasons above. If you're up to standing and getting there early (45-60 minutes before show), I'd study the map so you know the dining group area and where you want to be. The area is massive and having a handle on the scope/layout is very helpful. If you want zero stress and don't mind being a little removed and the high cost, dessert party was very nice.

Thanks for the thorough response! Tells me exactly what I need to know! One more question... when can you book the dessert parties? Is it 60 days out like the dining reservations?

I believe it is 60 days. My niece and I did the dessert party last week and really enjoyed it. It was worth the price to sit and enjoy the show. We had a high table (#6) with a decent view of the show. My decision to book the dessert party was solidified when my sister and her family did the dining package back in October and were pretty miserable having to stand.

The DP is the way to go!! The dining packages still have you needing to arrive really early and then stand for the show. This email seats at the dessert party after a long day were soooooo nice!! The food was ok, not my style desserts but the cheese and breadsticks were delicious and the cups the kids got were amazing!

DP is the way to go IMHO! (But you're paying for drinks and a GREAT view with SEATS- not the food. The deserts are lousy.)

Not having to arrive 2 hours before for a good seat + not being pushed and shoved and squashed by strangers = Worth it. (But do get dinner ahead of time.)

The dinner package just gives you a fastpass to premium standing, so you can still jockey and be crushed with the masses- just nearer the show than other non-premium sections. FWIW, the show is running about 25 mins now? I think. Add to that at least an hour ahead of time for decent spots and you're standing around on your feet for an hour and half after spending the day in the parks. Not ok for my fam, but if your fam is totally cool with that the desert party might not be the way to go after all.

Oh- our party didn't open for reservations until like 5 weeks out. It usually does open, but sometimes not at 60 days.

We've done the dining package 3 times (WCT once and Carthay twice) and the dessert party once. All three of us agreed that the dessert party was far and above our favourite and in our opinions it is the only way we would ever want to watch WoC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter