World of Color Dining Pkg or Dessert Party?

Erikarate

married her prince
We will be at DL/CA the week of July 4th. I was planning on booking the dessert party for the 4th (I need to do this in TWO days as it will be 60 days out). I wanted to have a guaranteed spot to watch the show as I expect it will be busy for the holiday and this will ease the stress a bit.

However, in doing my research I am just floored by how little food and drink you get for $79 pp. I do love the fact that you get a table with seating and that is definitely worth a premium, but seriously, one plate of desserts and a bread basket?? In addition, it isn't even the best view! The dining package "standing room" has the best view.

So, I am now considering doing the dining package because it is significantly cheaper and you get a full meal with it. However, the downside I imagine is that there is a long line waiting to even enter the reserved space, then we will have to stand waiting for the show to begin, then we will have to stand during the half hour show. I know this sounds super bratty of me, but any mom with kids knows this can be challenging!! Also, there is no guarantee that we will be "on the railing" so my daughter might not have a great view after all.

SO.....any reviews of experiences with either the dessert party or dining package would be VERY helpful in ultimately making my decision. Both choices have good and no-so-good points to them.

If you do a search of this forum there are lots of threads and opinions but there was a recent thread on just your question here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/woc-dining-package-or-dessert-party.3584988/

There's also some opinions and helpful links here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/world-of-color-superthread.2542717/

Those might prove helpful, I hope!

We booked the dessert party because I don't want to have to show up early and wait in a long line to get a decent view. I have limited time at DLR so the $79 per person is worth it to give us extra time in which to do other things.

We've done the dessert party three times (once on each of our recent trips) and plan to do it again on our next trip. The first time I booked it, our party attending had an age range of 6-60s, and mainly booked it because I thought it would be nice for my mom to have a place to sit and relax to watch the show after a long day at the parks. After that, we were kind of hooked. :)

It's definitely a bit of a splurge, but you get not only a good seat for viewing, but an actual small zone of your own personal space-you're not crammed into an area standing cheek to cheek with a zillion other people, being jostled around-especially good with little ones and/or seniors. This, combined with being served sparking wine and a nice and generous plate of cheeses and desserts, which we could enjoy as we watched the show comfortably, made it worthwhile for us.

And while you may not get the exact table you want if you show up just as the show is starting, there really aren't any bad seats that we could see, so that enables you to do whatever else you'd like, right up until nearly showtime, which is another plus for us.

Thank you pepperandchips and jerseyjersey! My reasons for initially choosing the dessert party vs. dining are exactly what you are telling me - that you didn't want to waste time waiting in line, the benefit of having space and a table/seating etc. This is our first time at DL as we are East Coasters and usually go to WDW. I'm not sure when we will be back so I wanted to maximize our time.

Thanks for the links and helpful feedback.

However, in doing my research I am just floored by how little food and drink you get for $79 pp. I do love the fact that you get a table with seating and that is definitely worth a premium, but seriously, one plate of desserts and a bread basket?? In addition, it isn't even the best view! The dining package "standing room" has the best view.

SO.....any reviews of experiences with either the dessert party or dining package would be VERY helpful in ultimately making my decision. Both choices have good and no-so-good points to them.

I am doing the Dessert Party for my 4th time in two weeks. I honestly won't do it any other way now. SITTING at the end of the day after a long day of walking (and me, with my bad feet) and not having to stand is totally worth it to me.

The food, is actually quite filling, and I've taken home leftovers to eat the next day. I usually get a late lunch and have the "dessert" for dinner.

As for the view, I have done the Dining Packages, both Carthay and the now discontinued "Picnic" they used to offer...your view for either, unless you got there early was not necessarily at the water, add people placing kids on their shoulders, and your view is not that great.

And you can get wet if you are by the railing.

I actually find the show more worthwhile from a distance because you can see EVERYTHING, not just the scenes in front of you.

I'm torn on this. I just looked it up and it is pricey...but, I like all of the "pros" that have been posted. So with the seating for this package, we will be sitting and won't have people actually standing in front of us, blocking our view in any way right?

I'm torn on this. I just looked it up and it is pricey...but, I like all of the "pros" that have been posted. So with the seating for this package, we will be sitting and won't have people actually standing in front of us, blocking our view in any way right?

I'd do some searching on something like, "world of color dessert party view heads". I've seen a couple of pictures posted where people weren't happy with the heads at the bottom of their view at the dessert party. Based on what I've seen it's largely a matter of perspective, but I'm not sure, "won't have people actually standing in front of us, blocking our view in any way" would be entirely accurate.

We went back and forth on whether to book the dessert party for our trip in June. We decided as a group to give it a try. For us, we're a party of 4 adults (my wife, daughter and her boyfriend). If we were all as tall as the guys in our group, I think we would have just done a fastpass and taken our chances, but let's just say my wife and daughter wouldn't be picked in basketball for their height. I know many times I've had my wife in front of me when viewing shows and it seems we always get the former linebackers who love to move in front of her. For that reason, I thought the dessert party would be worth the splurge.

I've done dessert party twice and those are the only 2 times I've watched the show. I just don't like to stand in one place long enough to watch the show any other way. I can walk for hours and hours but standing in one place is something I just can't do. I look at paying as having the seat and the show and I think of the food and drink as just a bonus. There are far too many sweets for anyone to eat and they give you a to go box at the end, also a small water bottle to go if you want one. The manchego cheese they give out is probably my favorite cheese in the whole world. We do end up with leftover cheeses, too.

I have considered doing the dining packages, but the amount of time to complete everything is too much time out of the day for me. Sit down meals are usually over an hour, then there's the waiting while standing for the show to start (not sure how long people do that, probably at least an hour) then still stand to watch the show and then afterward, try to navigate through the crowd to get out of there, barely walking. I don't consider the show worth all that time and standing.

The dessert plates are really quite a lot of food, and every person gets one. Our party of four had two full to-go boxes left at the end of the show, which we grazed on in our hotel for the rest of our visit. We loved the dessert party and would totally do it again.

Just as an FYI to the OP, I have been looking to book in July as well and so far no dates in July are showing up for the WOC dessert party or dining packages. So the 7/4 packages might not be available tomorrow.

...it isn't even the best view! The dining package "standing room" has the best view...
There is no single "best view" for WOC. There are many "good" locations, each with a different prospective of the show.

I have viewed WOC many times from the area that is now used by the Dessert Party, specifically to get a better "wide" view. The ongoing improvements of the fountains and projections has improved this view.

Just as an FYI to the OP, I have been looking to book in July as well and so far no dates in July are showing up for the WOC dessert party or dining packages. So the 7/4 packages might not be available tomorrow.

Yes, I see that...ugh...not fun for a "control freak" like me, lol. I wonder can you book July dates via phone?

However, in doing my research I am just floored by how little food and drink you get for $79 pp. I do love the fact that you get a table with seating and that is definitely worth a premium, but seriously, one plate of desserts and a bread basket?? In addition, it isn't even the best view! The dining package "standing room" has the best view.\

You are paying a premium because you get to SIT. Each person get a plate of desserts (it lasted me 3 days), 2 adult beverages, unlimited non-alcoholic beverages (coffee, hot chocolate, water, soft drinks) and a bread basket to share. For me it is so worth it to not have to stand for 2 hours to watch the show.

We just did the dessert party last night. I consider myself a realist rather than an optimist or a pessimist. But arguably, bottom line is that I can nitpick .

I can honestly say it was one of our favorite experiences.

We sat at a high table in the back, behind a low table. Sure, you see the crowd in front of you. Some kids on shoulders (I saw a teenager on someones shoulders *Ooookaaay*.) Even people holding up cell phones. But in no way did it ever interfere with our view or enjoyment. The crowds are pretty far in front and below you.

I also thought the food didn't look like much when I saw pictures. But we took home two takeout boxes. We were stuffed. And I'm a food snob, but liked all the desserts (unlike at the dessert party we did at WDW).

Service was so great as well. And resting our throbbing, blisters-on-top-of-blisters feet was so so wonderful, lol.

I was worried about my impulsive, craaaazy, constantly moving 3 yo on the higher chair, but he did great. He looooved the whole thing in fact. He kept leaning over to hug me, saying, "Thank you mommy, I love this." I honestly had tears in my eyes seeing his joy. And he didn't get restless, not once! And those kids light up cups that sync with the show was just so fun.

So, yes, even this value-conscious, occasional grump thinks it was absolutely worth every dime.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It was very helpful. I am definitely booking the dessert party. Now, hopefully they release those reservations soon!

The dessert looks so great. Especially for a trip we don't take very often (My second time ever!) But I've heard that each table sits 4. It's just my friend and I going so that sold me on the dining package instead. Booked at Carthay Circle earlier today!

Have any of you been around long enough to remember when they had the "Fantasmic" reserved seating at the gallery above the Pirates ride? I got in line at 5 am, and bought tickets for $50/each. Huge splurge at the time, and totally worth it. Last year our splurge was to buy dinner at Carthay Circle, and get the reserved standing section for WOC. My husband was not impressed with his dinner, or standing to wait for and watch the show. But when I told him about this, he said he was willing to pay the price to SIT and watch WOC (a show we really enjoy). So I'll be on my iPad bright and early making those reservations!

Have any of you been around long enough to remember when they had the "Fantasmic" reserved seating at the gallery above the Pirates ride? I got in line at 5 am, and bought tickets for $50/each. Huge splurge at the time, and totally worth it...
Guests dining at 21 Royal Street will be able to watch Fantastic! (once it returns) from the Dream Suite balcony (current name of that location).

The dessert looks so great. Especially for a trip we don't take very often (My second time ever!) But I've heard that each table sits 4. It's just my friend and I going so that sold me on the dining package instead. Booked at Carthay Circle earlier today!

I am a solo traveler, and the first time, I had a table to myself.

The last two times, I was seated with others. Once a group of three friends, this last time, a super sweet younger couple. I thought it was fun, and nice to sit and chat about our experiences at the Park that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter