• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Working on Weight Loss During Training—New Year New Us!

Maria, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I have had a 1 pound gain over the last month. Could be a statistical anomally or it could be a 1 pound weight gain! :rotfl:

Losing weight in the last 4 weeks of training is challenging and hard on your body, I think. I have read that all endurance athletes put on some weight in those last few weeks. I am sure that not ALL of us do it, but I suspect a majority of us do. The interesting thing is this, I have always had a pretty good drop in weight after the event. I hope it works that way for you, as well.

*Bump*

Connie -- I can't even bear to go near the scale anymore, I can see my belly expanding...but I'm still doing the workouts. I did six miles Saturday, and I'll do 10 this weekend. After the Half, I am determined to really focus on losing pounds.

I'll be ready for another "New Year, New Us"!

Ok, who's with me? Anyone else ready to commit now to making 2008 the last year we have the perennial resolution?!

Committed to Be a Big Loser!
Maria

*Bump*

Connie -- I can't even bear to go near the scale anymore, I can see my belly expanding...but I'm still doing the workouts. I did six miles Saturday, and I'll do 10 this weekend. After the Half, I am determined to really focus on losing pounds.

I'll be ready for another "New Year, New Us"!

Ok, who's with me? Anyone else ready to commit now to making 2008 the last year we have the perennial resolution?!

Committed to Be a Big Loser!
Maria

Wow Maria it's been a while since we dusted off this thread. I have not done well either, I wanted to lose 10 lbs and I gained 10 lbs. How the heck did I do that?

Pudgy Panda:hippie:

Yo Yo time for me. I lost the 10 I wanted to until ToT and it has come back like LY in winter. The snowy weather does it to me. Will start again after WDW. Hopefully I will be able to exercise after Jan surgery.

Well, all you experienced walkers tell me we should just expect not to lose for the next few weeks. That's why my January 1st is actually going to be January 17th. I fly home the 15th, and I'm giving myself a few days to reacclimate before I hit the ground flying, so to speak.

Dave and Bill -- I think it is really hard when it starts to get cold. I want warm comfort food, and I really don't want to move after it gets dark. And it's dark when I get up, too...I just can't win!

Maria

I'm starting back full force on Jan 7th but I know many of you will be close to the Marathon at that point so please jump in whenever you can :thumbsup2

Ready for the best year ever :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year to you all. I have been unwilling to post here since I know I had nothing good to write. I fell back into some really bad eating habits when the stress of the holidays hit. Luckily since I've been running so much it didn't affect the scale too much. Now that I'm in taper I'm starting to see it. I'm really determined to fuel myself well over the next 11 days. I really want to feel a little more energy than I've had lately.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Cindy

Congratulations CindyLou Knowing that you have a problem and admitting it, is the first step to recovery......:lmao:

Seriously, I think making yourself admit the problem is a really great way to beat the problem. I had problems myself over the holidays. The cookies kept calling my name and I kept answering....happily! :goodvibes I am still happy, but I am not feeling all that healthy. But I will get back there, again.

MY GOALS:

Lose 15 - 20 lbs by April 27 which is my next 1/2 marathon.
Begin training for a marathon, even though I don't have an actual race in mind. -- I can find a race, later.

Eat more vegetables.

I am happy to report to anyone following all of this, that except for cookies, I did manage to avoid most white foods!

MariaGood luck on the race! You will find that it is no problem picking up the threads of a good eating plan and weaving them into your life again!

I'm more concerned about finishing the Disney Half right now, so I will pick up with the lowered calories, etc. after. I seem to need more protein and that's not helping me on the scale...

Maria[/QUOTE]

Hi Maria,

I am with you on this. I have been training and loosing a little but I haven't really been concerned with weight loss - just being able to finish the half. I am going to continue the training and cut back when we get home. I am much more fit and healthier - now I want to get thinner.

See you at the Disney half!:cheer2:

Michelle

Okay, I'm resurrecting this thread after having avoided it for a good 6 months. During this time, I continued to train, if somewhat sporadically, as much of my time & personal life was in upheaval due to my DH's new job, our cross-country relocation, my (so-far unsuccessful) job search & a contemplated career shift, and a new local culture to explore. All (mostly) good changes, but stressful nonetheless.

The good news is, I managed to meet my goal of finishing the Goofy! :cool1: I feel stronger and healthier than I did at this point last year, and I have a new appreciation for what my body can do. I'm rejuvenated by the experience & determined to continue my progress in terms of exercise & diet. I also managed to kick my soda habit during this time, and have avoided substituting coffee for soda (although I enjoy the occasional glass/cup of both).

The bad news is, I managed to gain weight over that period of time--6 pounds. While this doesn't sound disastrous, seeing as it happened when I was supposedly trying to lose weight isn't a great indication of the efforts I did put forth. My only comfort is that 4 out of 6 pounds were gained during the last 6 weeks or so--the last month of training, the holidays, and the pre-race trip to WDW.

The ugly news is, I'm back on the diet as of today, after having returned home late Monday night. I'm hungry, still a little tired, and eying those leftover sports beans with something akin to lust. (Ah, desperation & an empty fridge...). I'm also in recovery from the Goofy, taking it easy not only because it's part of the workout plan but because of the giant blisters I earned during the marathon. (Why couldn't I just earn the medals? :rotfl: )

Anyway, so I'm going public with my recommitment to myself & my weight loss. Wish me luck, and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Should we bring back this thread or start a new one? I need to loose 150 to 200 lbs (probably not in time to wear a speedo this summer) and I am re-committing to a healthier lifestyle.

How about a new thread titled: "Becoming Lean, Mean, Endurace Event Machines"?

Hi Bill,

I think you should start a new one -- we'll probably pick up some new people that way, and get off to a great start. It may not be everyone's January 1st, but I think a mid-January start works best for WISHers! All those pesky 2-week people have now left the gym! :)

Maria

Maria, I KNEW there was a name for those people, I just didn't know it was "Pesky 2 week people"! :lmao:

Uhm...Bill :wave: where's that new thread....did I miss it?? :sad2:

Bill, I'd be up for a new thread, too, and I love the title. I wouldn't want to steal your thunder, so I'm continuing to post here.

In the meantime, I was a slug yesterday as it was a post-Goofy rest day. I still want to eat a lot, as if I was in training for a race (not at the moment) or "eating for two" (not possible, but I've been eating like it).

The good news is, I managed to stay almost within my SparkPeople goals yesterday, for the first time in I don't know how long:

Calories[actual/range]: 1515/1200-1550
Fat [actual/range]: 41/32-56
Carbs[actual/range]: 237/164-236 [so close! :sad2:]
Protein [actual/range]: 66/60-127 [this needs work, as usual]

Plus my 8 glasses of water--no soda! :cool1:

As you can see, I'm at the top of the range in all categories except protein, and I'm feeling a mite bit hungry as it is. Need more protein (says the vegetarian). I think the diet will get a lot better once we go grocery shopping this weekend; our fridge is practically empty after the Disney trip, and we don't have the fresh fruits or veggies that I rely on to keep me feeling full.

I hope all you out there are enjoying your workouts/recoveries/nutritional plans!

I've really been a slug... so much for hopping on the healthy eating track :guilty:

Work and life have just been crazy and I've allowed that to derail my plans. So much for being careful during my meetings in Orlando last week :guilty:

It is supposed to be crazy cold here this weekend (negative wind chills :scared1: ) so I'm planning a cleaning out and stocking up weekend :thumbsup2

WISHing I can post next week with that accomplished :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter