Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014

Morning All. I got this email yesterday from DCL. I don't know if this effects any of you good folks, but thought ya'll might like to read what it says. (Ok, before I go any further......................is it effects?................or affects?.............I get those two sooooo confused?)

August 12, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you for booking a Disney Cruise Line vacation.

As you may be aware, our ships are primarily designated as non-smoking ships. However, we recognized that some Guests smoke and strive to make a comfortable and enjoyable environment for all of our Guests.

From time to time, we make adjustments to our operation based on Guest feedback and are making a change to our smoking policy. While Guests have never been permitted to smoke in their staterooms, effective November 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs. Each ship will continue to offer open-air public spaces designated as smoking areas. Information on designated smoking areas can be found on our website at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/health-safety/smoking.

Thank you again for sailing with us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Morning All. I got this email yesterday from DCL. I don't know if this effects any of you good folks, but thought ya'll might like to read what it says. (Ok, before I go any further......................is it effects?................or affects?.............I get those two sooooo confused?)

August 12, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you for booking a Disney Cruise Line vacation.

As you may be aware, our ships are primarily designated as non-smoking ships. However, we recognized that some Guests smoke and strive to make a comfortable and enjoyable environment for all of our Guests.

From time to time, we make adjustments to our operation based on Guest feedback and are making a change to our smoking policy. While Guests have never been permitted to smoke in their staterooms, effective November 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs. Each ship will continue to offer open-air public spaces designated as smoking areas. Information on designated smoking areas can be found on our website at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/health-safety/smoking.

Thank you again for sailing with us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

The Cast and CrewDisney Cruise Line

Hmmmm, Thanks for sharing, doesn't impact me, but seeing as I have 2 cruises before this (one in just over 3 months) I'm surprised I haven't received this as well.
(and in this case, it is 'affects')

The effect
of the rule change will be to force smokers to locate a new smoking area.

The rule change will affect the behavior of the guests.

I don't want to start a war but while I know that people find their verandahs a handy place to smoke, it does affect my enjoyment of my verandah. I always seem to get next either a chain smoker or a cigar smoker. I say this as a former smoker, I DO understand the frustration of not being able to sit outside on your verandah and have a cigarette.

This is going to be an issue. I'm traveling with 2 smokers. I guess they're out of luck. But is it evil if I'm going to not tell them and act surprised when we get on board? I love having a balcony, I write and read on them...

This is going to be an issue. I'm traveling with 2 smokers. I guess they're out of luck. But is it evil if I'm going to not tell them and act surprised when we get on board? I love having a balcony, I write and read on them...

:rolleyes1 Honey I'm sorry I had no idea.

Hmmmm, Thanks for sharing, doesn't impact me, but seeing as I have 2 cruises before this (one in just over 3 months) I'm surprised I haven't received this as well.
(and in this case, it is 'affects')

The effect
of the rule change will be to force smokers to locate a new smoking area.

The rule change will affect the behavior of the guests.

I don't want to start a war but while I know that people find their verandahs a handy place to smoke, it does affect my enjoyment of my verandah. I always seem to get next either a chain smoker or a cigar smoker. I say this as a former smoker, I DO understand the frustration of not being able to sit outside on your verandah and have a cigarette.

Glad I could help. I too am a former smoker, and like kdeans put it, this may be the kick in the pants everyone needs to stop smoking.

I'm going to print and laminate your rules on "Affects" and "Effects" Stephanie, and carry them around with me. Maybe then I will be learnt on how to use them their darn things!!!:confused3 :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Glad I could help. I too am a former smoker, and like kdeans put it, this may be the kick in the pants everyone needs to stop smoking.

I'm going to print and laminate your rules on "Affects" and "Effects" Stephanie, and carry them around with me. Maybe then I will be learnt on how to use them their darn things!!!:confused3 :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Glad I could help learn ya! ;)
Former teacher here...and sometimes I have to stop and think for a minute...
Hope the new rule doesn't cause lots of heartache, but I'm sure there will be lots of upset people.

Hope your son is continuing to recover nicely.....

I'm glad there is no smoking on the balconies- or at least that's the rule- because of the inherent fire hazard risk. We had one cabin where across the hall neighbors smoked so much (against policy) it was nearly suffocating! And generally, I don't mind the smell unless its over-powering.

From a non-smoking family...who have seen too many people die of COPD and lung cancer, we are so glad there's no smoking on the verandas. I was concerned we'd get next to a cigar smoker. and that makes me totally nauseous. Maybe they should offer a 'quit smoking" club on the cruise!
:yay::yay::yay::yay:

Not to start a true debate, but we are disappointed in the new smoking policy (yes, DH and I both smoke). We are polite (too much to do on board to be hanging out on veranda all day!) about it tho and generally tend to go out very late at night or for me very early in the AM as I don't want to get dressed and out and about so early and wake up the rest of our cabin!

That being said, so wish they'd go back to the "old rules" where there was smoking on verandas on one side of ship and not the other..........

Oh, well, we'll deal and at least (hopefully there still will be) a nice place to gather and smoke in the adult area as there is now.........unless they decide to change that too - that being said, on the newer ships there aren't any good places to go if it's cold/wet/raining so the veranda was best if you wanted to get out of the weather...................

Not to start a true debate, but we are disappointed in the new smoking policy (yes, DH and I both smoke). We are polite (too much to do on board to be hanging out on veranda all day!) about it tho and generally tend to go out very late at night or for me very early in the AM as I don't want to get dressed and out and about so early and wake up the rest of our cabin!

That being said, so wish they'd go back to the "old rules" where there was smoking on verandas on one side of ship and not the other..........

Oh, well, we'll deal and at least (hopefully there still will be) a nice place to gather and smoke in the adult area as there is now.........unless they decide to change that too - that being said, on the newer ships there aren't any good places to go if it's cold/wet/raining so the veranda was best if you wanted to get out of the weather...................

No debate here Beverly. I grew up in a smoking family. My parents smoked, my older brothers smoked, and so did I. I still remember how good that cig tasted, and I have to be honest, I still wouldn't mind having one. But, I did stop because I thought it was right for me. Being an ex smoker, I respect everyone's wishes to smoke or not to smoke. That is their decision. I too, hope there are nice areas for those who smoke. :thumbsup2

No debate here Beverly. I grew up in a smoking family. My parents smoked, my older brothers smoked, and so did I. I still remember how good that cig tasted, and I have to be honest, I still wouldn't mind having one. But, I did stop because I thought it was right for me. Being an ex smoker, I respect everyone's wishes to smoke or not to smoke. That is their decision. I too, hope there are nice areas for those who smoke. :thumbsup2

I agree with David, former smokers here as well. I know the verandah is a great place to sit and enjoy watching the sea and having a cigarette. That said, our last cruise, our next-door neighbor was not as considerate as you, Beverly and I began to wonder if he/she ever LEFT that verandah! Most cruises, I would just go back inside and wait 15 -20 minutes and it would be fine out there after that.
I do hope they find nice, covered places for you to be able to smoke and relax.:flower3:

I don't mind smokers. I have no sense of smell, so it really doesn't bother me. I used to smoke when I drank, but when I became a CNA I decided I couldn't promote health and smoke.... Plus frankly I smoke cigarettes and cigars wrong (I smoked cigars like you'd smoke cigarettes and the reverse for cigarettes). That said I HATE it when people spray stuff to cover up the smell of tobacco. Since I almost smell with my tongue, it just overwhelms it....

My friends are just going to learn last second, the whole reservation is under my name and email address. "Darn you can't smoke out here? Well...Didn't you tell me you wanted to quit? Oh and look I have a book about why smoking is AWFUL for you and will drive up the cost of healthcare!"

Moving on from smoking to better stuff: I've been pinning craft ideas for the trip. That and looking at fabric for my FE. If anyone is interested in "wacky" fabric websites--- spoonflower.com is kinda' awesome.

Moving on from smoking to better stuff: I've been pinning craft ideas for the trip. That and looking at fabric for my FE. If anyone is interested in "wacky" fabric websites--- spoonflower.com is kinda' awesome.

I'm itching to get busy with magnets and stuff!!! Have many FE ideas rolling around in my head, but need to get an idea how many, plus need to help DDiLs with the ones for our family cruise in January...their FIRST Disney cruise and for most of them, their first CRUISE!

I'm itching to get busy with magnets and stuff!!! Have many FE ideas rolling around in my head, but need to get an idea how many, plus need to help DDiLs with the ones for our family cruise in January...their FIRST Disney cruise and for most of them, their first CRUISE!

If you are at all interested, we've got a GREAT FB group for graphics too - there are lots of great people over there. I'm one of the admins (there are 8 of us I think) and it's a pretty great place to find some stuff: (hope you all don't mind the shameless plug!) - hahahaha

https://www.facebook.com/groups/530433526987331/

It is a great group on of my daily looks. Soo much talent.:cheer2:

OMG, so many choices, so little time, such a small door! :lmao:
I will prevail and pick just the right ones....hey wait! I have our family cruise and three cabin doors to decorate!!:hyper:

I may have let it slip to Emily- my DFriend/vacation roommate that there's a no smoking policy on verandahs now. Her reaction?

"Why are we getting a verandah again? Does this mean I have to put on a bra when I go to the smoking section?"

So yeah.... if you notice someone in a sweatshirt at 0800 smoking, that's part of my group. We keep it klassy.

I may have let it slip to Emily- my DFriend/vacation roommate that there's a no smoking policy on verandahs now. Her reaction?

"Why are we getting a verandah again? Does this mean I have to put on a bra when I go to the smoking section?"

So yeah.... if you notice someone in a sweatshirt at 0800 smoking, that's part of my group. We keep it klassy.

:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter