Women & Children Seated First?

I thought I was going insane as I couldn't find the posts that were referenced (and I had remembered reading them). Glad to know I'm not. Well, I may still be, but not about those posts.

I think I'm rather two-sided on this issue. I think that people should do everything that they can to address their own needs BUT I give up my seat to anyone who looks like they might need it more than I do.
That's pretty much how I feel about it as well. I never 'expect' anyone to get up. In fact, I'm usually shocked when a teenage boy gets up!!! I make sure to thank both the young man and his mother!!!!

We just got back from WDW and found the bus etiquette to be poor. I saw many seats taken by toddlers that could have been on their parents laps and not very men give a seat to an older person. I am 63 but look much younger. My sister let me sit thank god. I just think society nowadays is so different than when I grew up. It's very sad.

So you think that just because you're 63, you should've been offered a seat? I'm sure there's plenty of people that age who would've been insulted at being offered a seat. You don't know if someone who looks healthy enough to stand actually is. And I just recently read on another thread on this topic that some people can't tolerate having a child sit on their lap - and I don't mean that they don't like it; I mean that they can't physically tolerate it.

We just got back from WDW and found the bus etiquette to be poor. I saw many seats taken by toddlers that could have been on their parents laps and not very men give a seat to an older person. I am 63 but look much younger. My sister let me sit thank god. I just think society nowadays is so different than when I grew up. It's very sad.

1) I am VERY opinionated regarding the offering of seats on Disney buses . . . especially at the end of the day or at park-closing.
2) So, please take this only as a personal opinion.
When seats should be offered
. . . obviously pregnant women
. . . obviously handicapped
. . . obviously old (AND LOOKING OLD) people
When seats should not be offered
. . . kids being held, because they are tired
. . . kids sleeping, because they are worn-out
. . . anyone not aged, unless disabled or handicapped
NOTE: In our opinion, parents should take the kids back to the room before they get overly tired. Just because he kids are on vacation, they won't change their sleeping or activity-tolerance. Parents should know what the kids can stand, and leave the park earlier, as needed.

Why was this bumped; is there really a need for another whiny thread about bus etiquette?
It was bumped so I could say this......I'm 66. I always offer my seat to someone who looks like they need it. I have, on occasion, been offered a seat, which I have yet to accept. Yes, I look a lot younger than my age. Of course, my knees and lower back feel every one of those 66 years.

Sorry but I was brought up to be polite and offer seats to those I think need it. If you don't want to that is your choice. Frankly if I see a parent with a sleeping child, I will offer them my seat. Who am I to judge why they kept their child at the park so long. Why do we have to judge - what happened to doing something just because it is the nice thing to do?

Sorry but I was brought up to be polite and offer seats to those I think need it. If you don't want to that is your choice.

The problem is people who think that men should give up their seats to women just because they're women, or that younger people should give up their seats to older people just because they're older, and who then judge people who don't give up their seats in those situations.

I think it's not a bad thing but policy? No.

I have been a bit (okay, a LOT miffed) when I was holding a toddler and stroller and no one offered him or me a seat to help as it was a real struggle.

That guy was waaaay out of line! Nothing wrong with offering seats, but no obligations!

I quoted your post as I didn't read the complete thread, but when 'anyone' boards an obviously 'full' bus, they should be willing and able to stand. You must have boarded a full bus! We wait for the next bus so we can sit - can't understand why that concept is so hard for people to 'get'. :confused3

That guy was waaaay out of line! Nothing wrong with offering seats, but no obligations!

I quoted your post as I didn't read the complete thread, but when 'anyone' boards an obviously 'full' bus, they should be willing and able to stand. You must have boarded a full bus! We wait for the next bus so we can sit - can't understand why that concept is so hard for people to 'get'. :confused3

You do realize that sometimes you are unaware of how full the bus is when you get on. And I "get" it but it still doesn't mean that it's not the polite thing to do, offering a seat to someone who is struggling. But whatever.

Ok, here's the thing. Yes, I grew up to be polite. But, I also grew up to be responsible for myself. Yes, you can see if a bus is filling up and if people are standing already..especially at night. It's just not a great idea to count on the kindness of others. If I had a youngster and a stroller? I would decide, before getting on that bus, if I could handle standing, with my child. Yes, someone could offer me a seat. But if I was far enough forward in the bus, that probably isn't going to happen. If a mother gets a seat, then her husband or some other family member feels they must then stand right there, with her. Now, the aisle is blocked. I have seen little old ladies, standing in the very front of the bus, while there were empty seats further back..but no one could see them!! I have actually taken an older gentleman to the rear of the bus so he could sit down....and it wasn't easy getting past those that 'had' to stand with their seated family members!!! I will try to find a seat for someone if at all possible. It's almost as if I've taken on the role of bus monitor!!! Yes, I take it very seriously....sometimes probably to the point of obnoxiousness. And I apologize for those that I may have annoyed. But, I will continue trying to get those that need a seat into a seat if there are any that are empty. I stop at asking people to give up a seat though. I have no idea why someone is seated..not my business. If that 35 y/o, very able looking young man wants to stay seated, while an elderly woman sways while standing? His business. He may be a jerk, he may have an inner ear issue or a leg issue that isn't visable. So, not going there.

So you think that just because you're 63, you should've been offered a seat? I'm sure there's plenty of people that age who would've been insulted at being offered a seat. You don't know if someone who looks healthy enough to stand actually is. And I just recently read on another thread on this topic that some people can't tolerate having a child sit on their lap - and I don't mean that they don't like it; I mean that they can't physically tolerate it.
Jeez

No, I don't think it should be mandatory for anyone to give up their seat. I was always a person that would give up my seat to others I thought may need it. That's the way I was raised, this included giving up my seat for anyone that was just older than me. Now, even though I'm only 47, and look ok, I am someone who really cannot stand on the bus and be safe, so I am extremely appreciative if a seat is offered to me. I just do not have the balance and since I have extremely bad peripheral neuropathy in both hands and arms, I cannot hold on well to steady myself, my arms are very weak. Having said that, I try and wait for the next bus if I see I will not be able to sit down. I let others ahead of me if they want to stand.

I can never understand the people who get insulted because someone offers a seat to them, they are just trying to do something kind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter