Women & Children Seated First?

I never mind standing, but I hate it when there's nothing to hold on to other than the overhead straps. I permanently hurt both shoulders on a bus having to hold on to them and the bus driver doing a lot of "lurching", so now I can't hold my arms over my head any more. If I can grab a pole or back of a seat, no worries. It's that "no man's land" (no pun intended) of the sideways seats that makes it tough.

People should also consider that just because someone looks healthy doesn't mean they are. My 17 year old son has lupus and autism. Just looking at him you would think he's perfectly healthy, but after a long day in the sun his joint hurt. I would not encourage him to give up his seat. In fact I would give up my seat for him.

For those who are adamant that it is a sign of respect and nothing more... That's just fine. I believe you and I am not personally offended, because I understand the intent.

That said, the reason men see it as a sign of respect is because that's what they were taught. It's a societal construct. And frankly, it's a societal construct that is not logical in this day and age.

Please do be proud of your husbands and teach your children. But teach them to hold the door for anyone. Teach them to give up their seat to anyone who seems to need it or want it more.

Personally, I think it's time for "chivalry" toward women to die and for common courtesy to take its place.

I agree with you. But at the end of an average day at the Magic Kingdom, I've heard the word 'princess' 847 times and my chivalry is piqued.

Soooo.....yesterday, as I was leaving DHS, walking (more like swimming due to the torrential rain!) back to the Dolphin, I watched a family with a stroller walk up to one of the park buses....maybe the MK bus. They had a child in the stroller, all covered in plastic. I wondered how long it was going to take them to fold it up....so, yes, I stopped to watch! I watched as the parents held that stroller up, child in it, and put it on the bus!! Not even through the rear door!!! Right up the steps at the front. Not sure what that driver was thinking!!

What is your opinion-should it be Disney policy for women and children to sit first?

NO WAY AS A POLICY! . . .
1) I give up seats to elderly and handicapped.
. . . they cannot help their situation and deserve our respect
2) I do not give up seats to kids, even sleeping ones or grouchy ones or ones being carried
. . . parents know the ability of the kids to stay awake
. . . if they exceed this, it is not my fault nor my concern
. . . too many parents think kids will all of a sudden be different because they are on vacation
. . . it does not usually work that way
3) As far as seating for women, it has long been determined BY LAW there is no difference between men and women rights.
. . . if tired, they should have left the parks earlier

Last edited:
I will relinquish my seat to an elderly person or a parent holding a small or sleeping child, but only if I can safely hold onto a pole. I am very petite, and can not reach the hand straps up high. lol If I don't hold onto a pole for dear life, I will end up rolling to the front of the bus. :-)

It is sad the excuses some people make for why they won't get up and offer a person a seat .I hope some day when they are in need someone shows them more curiosity then they show others It has nothing against people with disabilities but true disabilities not people who are just over weight or want to play with an iPad while children,the elderly ,or people with true disabilities have to stand .I don't understand today's generation what happened to the basic respect of others .

It is sad the excuses some people make for why they won't get up and offer a person a seat .I hope some day when they are in need someone shows them more curiosity then they show others It has nothing against people with disabilities but true disabilities not people who are just over weight or want to play with an iPad while children,the elderly ,or people with true disabilities have to stand .I don't understand today's generation what happened to the basic respect of others .

:confused3

No it should not be policy. But it is polite.

My DS15 has been raised to offer his seat to anyone he feels may need it more than he does. If he doesn't he will get a earful from me once off the bus and the dirty stink eye while on the bus. The stink eye usually gets him moving.

My boyfriend will also offer his seat. He was raised really "old school." His parents are older and weren't born in this country.

I hold DD9 on my lap on a crowded bus.

For US it has nothing to do with pregnant women, women holding children or an elderly person being "weak." It's about being polite and thinking about how you would want to be treated in the same situation.

There was once that I was holding DD's stroller and carrying her while standing on the bus. A nice person offered me their seat. I was reluctant but I accepted. So we pay it forward.

It is nice that you do all of that. But what it boils down to is that you cannot tell, simply by looking at people, who needs a seat. It does not good to get mad because you (in general) think that by looking at someone you "know" they don't need a seat, and that your dad/mom/child needs it more. If someone has a family member who cannot stand on a bus, then it is very unwise and reckless to get on a standing room only bus. And as the buses hold many more people standing than sitting it may be time to think about a rental car. For the sake of keeping your family safe.

As a woman I find that mindset outdated and insulting. And my toddler can lap me 50 times over for energy (to be fair, I'm 42, so that's not too hard these days). If I hold out at the parks until he falls asleep and just *have* to have a seat, I'm perfectly capable of letting people go past me onto a crowded bus and waiting for the next empty one. My lack of planning is not other people's problems.

But would I stand up for an elderly person, a person with mobility issues? Yes I would if I wasn't dealing with my own issues at the time. But that is my choice. I don't assume someone who doesn't is a jerk. Doing so would make me the jerk.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Kids tend to enjoy standing anyway... they feel like it's just another ride. (At least, my nephew sure does!)

It should be elderly, pregnant women and handicapped gets priority seating first. Children seated by themselves is a safety concern because their feet can't reach the floor to help stabilize themselves just in case the bus makes a sudden stop. I have seen children slide and fall off their seats before.

It is nice that you do all of that. But what it boils down to is that you cannot tell, simply by looking at people, who needs a seat. It does not good to get mad because you (in general) think that by looking at someone you "know" they don't need a seat, and that your dad/mom/child needs it more. If someone has a family member who cannot stand on a bus, then it is very unwise and reckless to get on a standing room only bus. And as the buses hold many more people standing than sitting it may be time to think about a rental car. For the sake of keeping your family safe.

I agree with this. Although in my family we offer our seats up, I wouldn't depend on it or get mad if someone didn't offer a seat.

NO WAY AS A POLICY! . . .
1) I give up seats to elderly and handicapped.
. . . they cannot help their situation and deserve our respect
2) I do not give up seats to kids, even sleeping ones or grouchy ones or ones being carried
. . . parents know the ability of the kids to stay awake
. . . if they exceed this, it is not my fault nor my concern
. . . too many parents think kids will all of a sudden be different because they are on vacation
. . . it does not usually work that way
3) As far as seating for women, it has long been determined BY LAW there is no difference between men and women rights.
. . . if tired, they should have left the parks earlier

I agree with most of this. I will offer my seat to a parent carrying a sleeping child and a pregnant woman also. Grumpy children no or kids that are just standing no. I have a herniated disc, I'm pretty certain most standing four year old don't.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....WDW transportation works for the general masses....for the vast majority. Are there going to be some guests that aren't going to be able to safely, or happily, use the buses? Or even perhaps the boats and monorails for that matter. Yes, there will always be a certain number of people that have an issue. And those guests need to take it upon themselves to find alternate transportation. You can not mandate who gets to sit and who doesn't. I am 66. I didn't need a seat on a moving bus when I was pregnant...I wasn't ill, I was pregnant. Carrying a child? That's your choice. I've been to WDW with a 5 y/o..and yes, she got sleepy. If she didn't get a seat on the bus, she held on, for dear life, and dealt with it.
Those that may have some challenges can either board with their ecv/wheelchair/whatever, or if they don't use one, can decide if it's worth it to wait for the next bus in order to be sure to get a seat.

What gets my goat? Those that take a seat in the 'handicap' seating, and then get bent out of shape when they are asked to move....I've seen guests arguing with the driver about this. One person even said it was first come, first served. I, sort of quietly, mentioned to the person next to me (we were both standing) that evidently that guest couldn't read the signage above her head...that stated they may be asked to move!!!! That lady was not happy with me! Yeah, I tend to become the bus monitor..I can't help it. There was an empty seat close to me, I was standing, and I saw an older woman up front....asked the man next to me to see if she wanted a seat! No one offered their seat to her....and there were probably 3 younger men (40's-50's) sitting nearby. They looked a little ashamed at that point. The woman declined the offer though...said it wasn't worth trying to get through all those standing between her and the seat!
Or those that board a crowded bus and just stop short of that rear door....then I have to be a bus monitor again...'Excuse me please, trying to get to the back as the driver asked..excuse me please!!!!'.
Then, there was family that decided the rear door was open for them.....no matter what the signage said!!! They plowed right on, complaining when people didn't move aside for them, and the door started closing on one of their kids!!! The young man next to me, beside the door, turned to me and said, in a loud voice..'Oh, I guess that do not enter sign wasn't for them, it's just for the rest of us!!!!' Man, one of the women gave him a filthy look. I just looked at the sign and shrugged my shoulders. Nope, they weren't happy with us.

In all reality? You do what you want to do. What you, personally, feel is the right thing for you to do. I know there were probably many people that thought my dh should have given up his seat. But, he was headed to a knee replacement, and he really wasn't safe standing on a moving bus!!!! That would have been an accident waiting to happen. So he stayed seated! You just don't know what someone is going through or what issues they may have. Don't make snap judgements based on what you 'think' you see. I'm 66. I don't look even close to that age. I don't act close to that age. I don't need a seat, I actually prefer to stand. Others have different needs. No one should board a crowded bus and expect someone to give up their seat. It is each guests responsibility to take care of their own needs and the needs of their family. If there is someone in your group that just can not stand on a bus, then you have a choice....wait for the next bus, or take alternative transportation. Is a cab going to cost you money? Sure it is. But, you have to know, before getting to WDW, that you may possibly be faced with paying for a cab at some point. You should probably budget for that. Or just rent a car. Or stay at a resort that gives you alternatives to buses.

But you just can't count on the kindness of others to get what you need. Yes, there are plenty of guests out there who will do whatever is needed to help others out. But, there are also those who are unable to help...for reasons that can vary.

I can't remember if this has been brought up in this thread or one of the many others that talk about this, but if it is SO important that you or a traveling companion MUST have a place to sit (either to or from a park), why are you relying on the "kindness of strangers" at all? Either rent a car or get a taxi. Why get yourself all worked up when you get on a bus and no one is willing to give up their seat?

Maybe everyone on the bus is rude, maybe they're tired, maybe they've been on their feet all day. You don't get to decide whether they need the seat more than you.

I can't remember if this has been brought up in this thread or one of the many others that talk about this, but if it is SO important that you or a traveling companion MUST have a place to sit (either to or from a park), why are you relying on the "kindness of strangers" at all? Either rent a car or get a taxi. Why get yourself all worked up when you get on a bus and no one is willing to give up their seat?

Maybe everyone on the bus is rude, maybe they're tired, maybe they've been on their feet all day. You don't get to decide whether they need the seat more than you.

According to one poster they cannot afford to use taxis, and are unable to drive themselves.

According to one poster they cannot afford to use taxis, and are unable to drive themselves.
Hey now. Don't be bringing in posters from that hugely embarrassing, now closed, thread!! At least I can say that the Transportation regulars behaved nicely, thanks for that.

Hey now. Don't be bringing in posters from that hugely embarrassing, now closed, thread!! At least I can say that the Transportation regulars behaved nicely, thanks for that.

I thought I was going insane as I couldn't find the posts that were referenced (and I had remembered reading them). Glad to know I'm not. Well, I may still be, but not about those posts.

I think I'm rather two-sided on this issue. I think that people should do everything that they can to address their own needs BUT I give up my seat to anyone who looks like they might need it more than I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter