WL or AKL or Poly

tinkerbelle2001

Disney Guru
We are about to start planning our next trip. It is me, DH, DD(age 9), DS (Age 6) and DD (age 3). We have stayed at DL and SOG on our last two visits and would really like to stay somewhere different this time. DH would like Poly because it is so easy to get around and has some variety in transportation. I think the WL sounds great, but I really think the kids would like AL because they are such animal lovers.

Please give me your input about these resorts. We only get to visit WDW every few years and we want to make the most of our trip.

Thanks!

We have stayed at all three and loved them all. Poly is the oldest, but has a kind of original WDW theme to it(which would only be appreciated by adults). WL was wonderful, but AKL is certainly the one with the exotic animals. There are not a ton of animals at AKL, and there are no lions or tigers. Nonetheless, my DW loved AKL in February, and I would have no trouble booking that resort again.

Stayed only at Poly and WL, but the latter is my very favorite. Newer than Poly (of course older than AKL). Theming is fantastic.

By the way, as another mother eligible for SOG discounts (DoD employee), just in case you did not know, you can call SOG for rates to these deluxe hotels--ask for "overflow" rates. Far cheaper than any other discounts I know of. I got my GF rate of $189/night through SOG.

SOG is now relocated in the Contemporary. They may even have fantastic (really low) rates at that hotel during your timeframe. I love the Contemporary, too, especially at SOG rates.

Good luck and happy vacationing.

We have stayed at all 3. My DH and I like them in this order:

1. WL 2. AKL 3. Poly

DDs, ages 11 and 7 like them in this order:

1. AKL 2. WL 3. Poly

The WL has jogging/walking trails and the AKL does not. Also, the WL has the boat to the MK, the Contemporary and Fort Wilderness, which gives you a variety of dining options. We enjoy going over to Fort Wilderness, seeing the horse barn and petting zoo and having a meal at the buffet. We also enjoy Chef Mickeys and the Whispering Canyon Cafe. The ambiance is great.

AKL has fewer easy dining options because of it's location. However, the kids LOVED seeing the animals and it has a great pool and hot tubs.

The Poly is very very nice, but the main building is a madhouse with people coming through on the monorail to shop and eat. We were also disappointed that there is no hot tub, and the main pool is extremely cold, although this probably wouldn't bother kids. We all just liked the quieter ambiance of the Lodge resorts.

I think you would like any of the 3, but if you want to be close to the MK my recommendation would be the WL. The single building setup is a plus, and kids love the theming. Good luck with your choice!

Originally posted by tinkerbelle2001
We are about to start planning our next trip. It is me, DH, DD(age 9), DS (Age 6) and DD (age 3). We have stayed at DL and SOG on our last two visits and would really like to stay somewhere different this time. DH would like Poly because it is so easy to get around and has some variety in transportation. I think the WL sounds great, but I really think the kids would like AL because they are such animal lovers.

Please give me your input about these resorts. We only get to visit WDW every few years and we want to make the most of our trip.

Thanks!

Hi,

It really depends on what park(s) you are going to be spending the most of your time at. Based on the ages of our children I would guess the MK.

The Poly in our view is only convienent to the MK. To get to EC you either have to walk over to the TTC and then take the monorail or take the monrail from the Poly around the resort loop to the TTC and then switch to the EC monorail. From the Poly to everywhere else is by bus and I believe the bus is shared by the GF, POLY, CR and WL, but someone correct me on this if I am incorrect.

The WL has a great theme and a boat to the MK. Everything else is by bus.

The AKL has the animals. All transportation is by bus. It really comes down to what is important to your vacation experiance. Location to MK or relaxing with the animals.

We would go with the AKL out of these three resorts because the MK is our least faviorate park and the AKL is just so relaxing that pulling ourselves away to go to the parks was very hard.

No matter where you stay I am sure you will have a great trip.

The Polynesian is convenient to everything!
We went resort looking last trip. WL was very nice and seemed quite relaxing but we live in the woods so no real big draw to us there. The CR was cool but I felt like i was in airport but I can understand the attraction. AKL seemed so far away. May have just been that our monkey's were not in the best frame of mind for a bus ride but it seemed to take forever to get there and back. I liked the themeing of AKL but I thought it was a little dark to be there a week.
We were very happy to get back to the "Brady Bunch" inspired Polynesian :) We love it there and DH refuses to stay anywhere else. Heck, as long as I get to go to WDW I would stay in a tent on Main Street if they would let me.

Everyone has their own idea of whats comfortable to them. Try staying a few nights at a couple of places if its not to much trouble to pack and unpack.

I vote for the WL. It is just wonderful! The theming is great. We stayed at the AKL last trip and it was just fine, but we prefer the WL. Trans is not a problem, or at least it never has been for us. On our last two times we have stayed, usually the buses that the WL shared with were the Poly and GF. The WL always got dropped off first! The boat is nice to take to MK as well. We are staying there again this trip. On the current codes, the AKL is the same as the WL in price, and i asked if we should switch and i was told NO!. WL it is!

If I was going to vote, I would say AKL...that being said, I have never stayed at the Poly, so I can't comment on that one...but I used to be a diehard WL fan! I loved everything about the WL and always stayed there and I still do love it, but a couple of weeks ago, we stayed at AKL and now that is my new favorite resort!! We had a Savannah view it was awesome!! We had giraffes and pelicans, gazelle and zebras outside our windows every morning!! The kids (ages 4 and 2) loved it and always woke up and ran to the slider doors to see what was outside in the mornings!! :) It is a beautiful resort!

WL is also very nice and I do love to stay there...One day I will get to the Poly! LOL

Have a great time no matter where you stay! :)

Beanie,

Which savannah did you stay at? Looking forward to AKL trip this August. We booked a deluxe savannah room.
Thanks,
Cathy

Catklin...We had a Savannah room on the Kudo Trail...room 2223! :) It was a great room, as I am sure yours will be...especially a Deluxe Savannah Room...next time we stay, we are going to do the Deluxe room as well! :)

Have a wonderful time!

Thank you for all your input. Sounds like WL is the place for us. We really like to have ample methods of transportation. My kids also really like the petting zoo at WL.

You've been really helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter