Wk of June 7 - WISH Team Walkers and Runners

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything.You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

Humid and gross for 4.5 miles this am. Love summer in FL :thumbsup2 Planning to ride n roll in the morning.

I'm trying to figure out my race schedule for the upcoming fall/winter. Too many races, too little time (and cash)! I really need to win the lottery!

hokie...congrats on your 5K finish! Welcome to the addiction ;)

What's everyone else up to?

Frank, Have fun at the race! I'm currently trying to convince a friend of mine (who is usually one of cheer people) to try a 5k.
Jennifer

You just have to find the right motivation I think. My friend is a huge Notre Dame fan so when I found a race that finishes on the football field he finally stepped up. If there is a charity your friend finds important or a destination with a run she might finally get out there and do it.

The Sunburst 10K was this morning in South Bend, IN. For a smaller race it was well organized and well run. There was a marathon, half marathon, 10K and 5K. The course had one pretty good but short hill right at mile 4. My time ended up being 39:47 which was a 10K PR my 3 seconds.

Tomorrow: Yard work and softball.

Frank, congrats on the PR. Good advice about finding the right buttons to push for motivation.

100_1393.jpg

OMG!!!!! Look at my ticker!!!!!.... 7 months today I will be leaving for marathon weekend!!!!!

Mel I hear ya. I think I need a part time job just to pay for the races I want to do.

Frank WTG on the PR that is awesome

Lily HI!!!!!:yay:

Jeff That is awesome!!!!....

AFM: I think I have my train to train program all set out and ready to start by losing some weight and getting in some steps. Officiall Goofy training doesn't start for me till Aug 23, 2009 so quite a few weeks to get a good base going .....I think.....:scared1:

Jeff Too funny! Are you planning on putting it up for sale on Ebay? (like everyone else does with their food oddities) Or maybe this was special Disney corn that only pops like a Mickey head--did it have a little trademark symbol onit somewhere?:rotfl:

Frank A most excellent race result! You have to win the prize as the speediest WISH-er.

Mel Hope you find the time and cash to do your fall race schedule. Winning the lottery would be nice. I told my co-workers the other day that "I won the lottery". After their jawas all dropped, I had to inform them that is was a lottery to be one of 400 people who get to run across the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day with the governor. Their jaws then went back up!

Need to go out and run today to work off a few calories from a party last night--dear friend's 60th birthday. Then maybe go buy new running shoes.

Maura

Hi Everyone!
I new to this thread. I posted a thread on running my first marathon (I think) and was directed to this thread. Its nice to find others to share in the fun of running. Most of my friends do not put fun and run in the same sentence and have no interest in the number of miles I ran last week or how I felt doing it.
So, to fill you in, Ive been a casual runner for about a year and set a goal in the spring to run a 10K this summer. As I started doing long runs each week, I found I really like them. So, now in addition to my 10K, Ive decided to train for a full marathon. Im still in the self doubting mode where Im excited to do it and training for it, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking, maybe I cant do it. My plan is to just take things week by week with my schedule. Im enjoying what Im doing and hopefully I can reach my goal, but if not, at least I had fun and did something healthy.
Im happy to find a place to share my journey. I have yet to tell anyone else about my goal.

Hi Maura!!!!!!:flower3:

Smacky1: Welcome!!!!! I think everyone has self doubts. I do right up until I finish the event:scared1: I think you are going in with the right attitude.
Are you going do the Disney Marathon? If you are believe me if nothing else you will have a awesome time. This is a awesome group of wonderfully friendly people with a wealth of knowledge. Just ask away for questions and fill us in on your accomplishments!!!!!!

Hey everyone, how are you all doing??

Hokie: Nice job on your first 5K, first of many I hope!! I can get to be addictive especially when you start adding the bling!

Frank: Great time for you!!!

Maura: Glad to see that you are still at your job!! I am been thinking about you.

AFM: I am currently resting with my feet up. I went out for 8 miles this morning and wanted to push it a bit. Did my fastest 8 miles in training ever which was cool. I saw a Yellow Crowned NIght Heron, which was very cool as it is very rare to see one.
nightheron06072009.jpg

At around mile 5.8 I pretty much twisted my right ankle all the way to the side. I just stood there trying to decided what to do as I still needed to get back to the house. I then decided to just keep moving. I started walking and felt ok and then even jogged in it a bit. As I figured when I got home and stopped using it, it has swollen up a bit. So, RICE for me.
Waiting for NASCAR to start.

Racey Tracy

Hey Tracy it always amazes me that you get great photos when you are out for your walks!!!!!!

Take care of that ankle:hug:

I just wanted to post here about my first 5K and thank everyone for the words of advice and encouragement. Now to find another race to sign up for!

I did it! I'm finally back from DC. I was really nervous, there were so many people. I think I could have found a smaller race to start out with but oh well. My watch said around 38 minutes, but not sure of the official yet. I went really slow, but I ran the whole time. I bet I could finish faster if I took walk breaks, but then I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to start running again.

The best thing was, I ran into an old friend on the metro! It was awesome, we haven't talked in a few years and used to work side by side for years. She has done two marine corp marathons, but had ankle surgery several years ago and does not run as much now. She stayed with me the whole way.

The kids race was not well organized, by 8 year old got trampled in the mud. They widened the course and ran it again because so many kids got knocked down. It was maybe a 1/4 mile course. He was a little upset but I don't think it dampened his spirit too much. He's looking forward to his kids triathlon in the fall. We went to the air and space museum after and now we all are going to just chill out a while.

So now to figure out where to go from here.

Ankle update: It's sore and I now have about a golf ball size area on the outside of it. Still icing on and off, I can put weight on it, it's just real sore. Out comes the trusty ankle brace. ( I have twisted this one ankle about 8 times or more, seems like at least once or twice a year. )

Racey Tracy

Tracy - Take care of that ankle! :hug:

Frank - Great job on the PR! :thumbsup2

Hockeychic - Me too!!! 7 months from today I'll be in WDW!!

cwnhokie - Way to go on your 5K!:banana: Congrats!

Smacky1 - Welcome to WISH!

Mel - If you figure out how to make the money stretch for all these races, let me know, too. Tghere's too many races and not enough cash!

Jeff - Love the popcorn!

Maura - happy shopping!

AFM - MArk this date - I ran today!!!:cool1: It's been so few and far between lately. Darn LTO and WTO!:rolleyes: I did 3 miles in just under 42 minutes. About a 13:30 mpm pace. It's a start.

Terri

:stitch:'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

This one is JenG's very good question to the cousins, excerpted, about the difference between building a base and training for a race. The mixer starts here on the 'Ohana thread.

What is the difference between maintaining or building a base and training for a race? I've only been running for a year and I've either been taking time off running or training for a race. What is just building a base?

How is your approach (mental or otherwise) and exercise routine different when building your base versus training? Do you run less? Do different exercises? Approach the run differently psychologically?

cwn: Congratulations on the 5K.

Jeff: I don't think I can feel sorry for you no matter how hot it is running in Hawaii...especially when I read your posts after peeling my frozen running gear off in the winter.

Tracy: Sorry about the ankle. I have found it is easier to get a small tub and fill it with ice water than trying to keep an ice pack on a specific spot.

Thank you all on your congrats on the 10K. I was looking at the Indy mini marathon thread and I might just have to do that one next year. I signed up for this thing called half2run where the idea is you run half the marathon in half the states and I still need Indiana.

Frank - Way to go! I think your 10K time was very close to my 5K time. But now I have a time to beat.

Tracy - Sorry to hear about the ankle, that is frustrating.

smacky1 - I've always had a marathon in the back of my mind, but I've never had the courage to say it out loud. I think training for that will have to wait until my kids are a little older and I have more time to dedicate to it.

Today I plan to try to figure out what I'm going to work on next. I've been doing the C25K, that is done, so now I need to find a new plan. And a new race to shoot for, I think I am going to sign up for a Autism Speaks 5K on July 4th.

Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't checked in.

I just started teaching my summer school/program and it's been a little crazy so I may not be around much.

I did manage a total of 27.5 miles last week and 4 today.

Best,
Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter