Wk of June 21 - WISH Team Walkers and Runners

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything.You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

Happy Father's Day to all the WISH team dads!!!

So, Mel didja? :goofy: ???
You know you can do it.

Jackie, glad you are onboard for the half this January.

Tracy, good for you to get out there even if it wasn't in your thoughts.

Today I will spend with DH. The sons have to work. Kirby dog needs a day off from the 2 milers, it is not going to rain. We'll probably scoot around...:moped: :moped:

Morning WISHers and Happy Father's Day!!! :goodvibes

Took off a week since my shin was bothering me. Starting to become really worried about the Peachtree in two weeks. Decided to try to run a 10K this morning and I was able to pull it off, although with my slowest 10K pace ever. Went out really early trying to beat the heat.

I'm a little bummed I'm running so slow, but do feel relived I was able to run the whole 10K distance. I'm not so worried about the Peachtree now.

Came home and iced a good bit and will take off tomorrow.

After the Peachtree is over and my shin feels better I'm gonna concentrate on speed work as opposed to worrying about any distances. I've got to get my pace down again. I'm kinda obsessing about it. :scared:

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today. Oh, and stay cool! :cool2:

Happy Father's Day to all the WISH dad's!

I got in a 9 mile long run in just under 80 minutes (slightly better than a 9 minute mile pace). Training is going well.

Hope everyone is doing great!

Best,
Jennifer

Hi everybody,

Went for a swim/bike combo today. My first tri is one week away and I will neurose all week long. Bought myself some tri shorts--which I think I'm happy with, and a top--which should be okay. Not really a lot of tri stuff at retail here and I find that I really need to try things on. Sizes vary so much.

Off to cook some strip steaks for dad's day. Tigers and Sox won, so all is right with the world today!

Jeff Don't let the North Koreans bomb Hawaii, okay? I haven't been there to visit yet.

Shan Hope you find some speedwork training that helps. I am using the FIRST program (furman.edu/FIRST and also the book "Run Faster, Run Less") It seems to have worked for me.

Jennifer Glad your training is going well. And good luck with your plans to hire a coach.

Happy Dad's day all.

Maura

Jeff Don't let the North Koreans bomb Hawaii, okay? I haven't been there to visit yet.

Maura

LOL, they won't bomb Hawaii, too many Koreans live here. (Me included). But, just think, if Hawaii vaporizes, then one less state to complete in the 50 marathons in 50 states challenge (49/49).:rotfl:

You'll do fine on your triathlon next weekend. Quit obsessing over it.

As for me. 14 miles in the sun and the tradewinds. 2:04 with water stops along the way. Good run!

Happy Father's day to all the dads out there. Thanks for all the father's day WISHes. :thumbsup2

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

:tiptoe: Okay, this week I'm dedicating myself to the weekly thread, checking in more often. I've been gone far, far too long and my lack of focused training shows it. And more important, I miss so many of you. :goodvibes

Mel: What did you, or didn't you, do? I'm so far behind.

Lily: Your day sounds wonderful and relaxing. I want a scooter now...

Shan: Take it easy with those shins. I'm sure you'll do fine on the Peachtree and don't beat yourself up over pace. Everybody slows down in such heat. :hug:

Jennifer: Congrats on your 9 miler. I've skimmed your team-thread posts, etc. and know you're busy, busy, busy in your other (non-racing) life, and so I hope everything is going well. :thumbsup2

Maura: Only a week away from your first tri? How did it sneak up on me like that. You're going to rock it, :woohoo: I'm sure, and then you'll go on a gear-buying binge. (Which is much healthier than the binges I go on.)

Jeff: A special Happy Father's Day to you, and give the keiki hugs for me. And wow, just wow, to the mileage in the sun & the wind.

Kim: :wave: Good to see you around here, too. You'll help keep me accountable in my training to train phase.

As for me: Been doing not much of anything good for myself. Bad habits have set in: eating, sleeping, running (or lack thereof in all categories). The only thing I have done more of recently is see movies. How predictable is that? :rolleyes1

The Mixer starts here on the 'Ohana thread....

:stitch:'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

I asked a variation of this on the team thread, but it makes for a good general prompt. Lots of us are finalizing our late summer/fall/early 2010 race schedules and/or in training for them. So let's talk events. Two questions:

1. What event have you committed to that you're most looking forward to, Disney marathon weekend excluded? And
  2. What are you most looking forward to about Disney marathon weekend, if you are attending? (With sympathy :grouphug: to those who are not.)

Shan- Glad to hear you are back running, regardless of the speed. Lets hope that Peachtree lets you print off your results this year :goodvibes.

As for me I did yardwork and had softball today. I did do two races over the weekend, Friday night and Saturday evening. The weather wasn't looking good for either but in the end the rain stayed away. The Friday run was after dark so the humidity wasn't too bad but the Saturday night race was sticky. I was able to finish in 19:36 Friday and 19:14 Saturday. Both were about right for the course and weather conditions.

Next weekend I have 3 races. A 4 miler on Friday evening and 5Ks on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The Sunday race is a trail run at the Holden Arboretum which is an amazing place. The arboretum and botanical gardens are over 600 acres. I am just hoping the weekend is nice so it doesn't have me running through mud.

I am there with ya Debra!!!:cheer2:

I have been dealing with some heal issues lately so just did a quick 15 min on the TM this morning and although it didn't bother me while walking after it was a bit tender....now of course it was only 15 mins.

What do you all do for your PF, is it workout, roll on tennis ball, then ice or workout, ice, then roll on tennis ball????

You'll do fine on your triathlon next weekend. Quit obsessing over it.

Jeff Thanks for the mild face slap (I am picturing a specific Monty Python episode with the Fish Slap Dance/Drill). I really do need to stop worrying and adjust my expectations for what this race is all about.

Debra If you'd like, next time DH heads to Pittsburgh, I'll have him come by to administer a mild butt-kicking!

Ran in my new shoes this am. Same model, just updated. Gotta try the new stuff out before the race.

Maura

Morning!

Quick fly by this morning.

Maura - you'll do great! I know exactly what you're going thru having been there myself only 2 weeks ago. lol I'd come up to cheer you on but it's the same day as my duathlon. Holler if you need to ...I'm here all week. :-)

Deb - glad to see you back!!

Big HELLO to everyone!

Will catch up more this eve.

Hi WISH Team!

Deb, thanks for the Monday Mixers. They are a fun way to share with each other.

Shan, hope that those shins catch a break and feel good at your event. Don't forget to stretch!

Jennifer, you are flying!

Maura, you're trained for your tri. Try to have thoughts of making it fun. You'll do well.

Jeff, you've got some pile of miles in yesterday. You go!

Kim, glad that you'll be here to keep Deb in line. Kim, I've heard stretch, stretch, and then ice, tennis ball, and repeat. Back off or lay off the speed too. Arch supports, heel lifts. Try them all. Are you in need of doctoring at this point?

Deb, good for you getting ready for focus. It's about that time!

Nothing done today, ended up taking DH to ortho doc. Good thing he had an apt for follow-up. He was incapacitated all Sunday and today with some sort of sciatic pain. Analysis is ongoing. Tomorrow I'm hoping for a training day. Oh wait, I'm supposed to be in taper mode. Seattle is this weekend! Whee!

Frank: Back-to-back races? Impressive. And 3 races next weekend. Wow! The Holden Arboretum race sounds particularly lovely; I love a good arboretum.

Kim:
I am there with ya Debra!!!:cheer2:

I have been dealing with some heal issues lately so just did a quick 15 min on the TM this morning and although it didn't bother me while walking after it was a bit tender....now of course it was only 15 mins.

What do you all do for your PF, is it workout, roll on tennis ball, then ice or workout, ice, then roll on tennis ball????

Yes, we're all in this together. Sorry to hear about your PF. I'm a WO, stretch, ice, roll person. Whenever I slack on the stretching--more than I care to admit--that's when I get into trouble.

Maura: Fish Slap Dance/Drill! That's just plain funny. I need one of those myself--that's what your DH can deliver. :rotfl2: And, um, obsessing? Is that what we do here? :confused3 :lmao:

Liz: I've been aware of your tri success, so I'm glad you're on the weekly thread so I can say a big (if belated) CONGRATS! I'm so impressed by all you multitalented, multisport athletes. And then right back into a duathlong. :worship:

Lily: Aw, thanks for the kind words. And :hug: to your DH for his pain. I hope it subsides soon. Have fun at Seattle--I know the race will be a blast in and of itself, and I know it'll be quite the little social party going on there. :dance3:

As for me: XT day today. I briefly thought about skipping it, but then what would I have to report. :confused3 ;) Been slacking on the strength training, though, and would be interested in what the rest of you do for that part of your routine.

Hello WISH Team!

Just popping in to say hi! NO training for me (I feel like a broken record! :sad2:) Outside of work and school, my free time has been spent back & forth to hospital to stay with my Mom. It'll be two weeks tomorrow. She's doing better and they're trying to rebuild her strength before sending her home. After all kinds of tests, they still don't know what caused her initial problem that she was hospitalized for.

I have a duathlon in 3 weeks and am so not ready for it!

Terri

Thanks for the advise....I am so afraid of this getting really bad...want to catch it while it isn't horrible.

Lily, don't think I need a DR yet but will keep a close eye on it.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter