Wk of June 21 - WISH Team Walkers and Runners

And then right back into a duathlong. :worship:

When I read this, why did it conjure a rather bizarre picture of people riding bikes in thongs (and I don't mean the kind you wear on your feet!) Amazing what one stray letter in a word can do! :rotfl:

I better go get some work done.....

Maura

When I read this, why did it conjure a rather bizarre picture of people riding bikes in thongs (and I don't mean the kind you wear on your feet!) Amazing what one stray letter in a word can do! :rotfl:

I better go get some work done.....

Maura

Oh, that made me laugh. Especially since I had the privilege of seeing World Ride Naked day when I was in D.C. People were wearing thongs and socks to avoid being arrested for indecent exposure. (In some cases, even those preventative measures didn't help! :rotfl2:)

Went out and did 8.2 pleasant miles around town. With my weekend of races this will be the only other run night this week. Trying to stay injury free this summer.

Yo WISHers

8.25 cranked out through Waikiki in 1:10:35. Guru Les had me cranking it at 6:35 pace during mile 4. Oxygen tank was nowhere to be found at the turnaround point.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Hi Wishers!

These times that everyone has are so impressive. I have to keep telling myself that I may get there one day. Heck, I'd be happy with maintaining 12 minute miles.

As for me, I started my training for the Philly Distance Run this week. I am using the MfM Run/Walk plan. As soon I complete the PDR, does any have any recommendations as to how I can tranisition into my Marathon training. I'll be farther in my distance than a 20-week or 24 week plan would have me at. Would you recommend just stepping back and jumping into the whatever week the marathon training plan has me at?

My day 2 cross training was a triumphant (LOL!) return to my karate classes. I haven't been there since September or maybe even before that. I went to that class because of the instructor. I knew that he would be able to ease me back into it. I was surprised that my body remembered more than I thought it would. My kicks, while they were not as high as when I left off, were technically correct. I practice my forms with one of the master instructors and he helped me remember some of my higher forms. They came back quickly. Hopefully I will be able to get back to attending classes at least once per week!

Oh yeah! And check out my pre-trip report below! I'm going in August!

Megan, congrats on getting back to karate! I loved it when I was doing that. Once they closed down, I moved on to other more local things. Don't worry about anyone being faster than you. Concentrate on you and what you can do. I will never be as fast as Jeff, while I admire him for what he can do. I don't want to. I just like to do what I am. I know he is fine with that as we are all fine with whatevere we are all doing.

Deb, good for you getting in a w/o even if you weren't feeling it. You win!

Terri, :hug: hope you are able to pull off your event. I'm so sorry that you are so tied up with your Mom. It's especially difficult that nothing is being figured out on her situation.

Kim, good for you keeping at the foot before it gets away from you. Hope whatever you are doing works.

Jeff, wow that you've got that kind of pace in you and even in the heat. Same for your Guru. Les must be some kind of machine for sure.

Frank, glad you got those steps in last night. Good luck on your events.

I'm all set to make my way to Seattle. Plane leaves early, and I don't even want to think about the 3 hour time difference. I'll do what I can and I'm sure I'll have a great time!

No worries people, just run or walk the pace that you can. Three years ago, I was a 13-14 minute mile jogger. I've only gotten up to this speed in the last year. All thanks to the torturer, I mean Guru Les.

He used to have 4 other speedy guys running with him, and they all disappeared. One day he said to me, come on lets go. I've been chasing this 60 year old with a bad back :eek:, ever since. He's a 3:55 or so marathoner.

My goal this year is to crack 4 hours. I've learned if you want to be fast, run with faster people. He's got lots to teach me.

As Lily said, everyone here is to encourage one another, no matter what the pace.

Now get out there, and bank some miles! :thumbsup2

No worries people, just run or walk the pace that you can. Three years ago, I was a 13-14 minute mile jogger. I've only gotten up to this speed in the last year. All thanks to the torturer, I mean Guru Les.

How did you progress like that Jeff? More mileage, more speedwork, more XT?

I did my first solo swim workout last night since my lessons over the last month. 1/4 mile in the pool is FAR :eek: I think having to stop and rest after each lap probably didn't help. My first tri may just have to wait until next year.

Mel,

This is my routine. Check with your physician or therapist before taking this on. I've been told by many to have my head examined by a professional. :lmao::rotfl2::laughing::rotfl:

I run just about year round. After the December Honolulu marathon, I'm back at it on Tuesday, preparing for Goofy (2009 was Dopey). After I get back from WDW, I'm back out on the road starting a new season.

In March the clinic officially starts Sunday long runs at 8 miles for the advanced group. We add 2 miles per month, to a maximum of 20 miles (some of us do up to 24). Then we decrease our mileage in November, before December's marathon.

8.25-10 miles on Tues/Thrs.

We do a 9 minute warm up mile, and then run negative splits. Each mile (2, 3, 4) we try to go faster than the last. Mile 5 we bring it back to 8:30, and then pick it up (6, 7, 8), and FULL ON SPRINT the last 1/4.

During our long runs on Sunday, we keep it at 8:30 for most of the run. The last 4 miles we crank it up a notch, and see if we can go up hill (Diamondhead) sub 8:30.

We run rain or shine, and mostly in the heat. Weekdays when we go 10 miles, we run up and over Diamondhead for our hillwork.

With my triathlon training, Tuesday's I've been swimming 500-1,000 meters at least once a week, if not twice, after the run.

And I cycle a minimum of 14 miles on Thursday after the run.

If you can ride a stationary bike or bike out on the road for 1 hour at a moderate pace, it definitely helps with the running. Leg strenghthening.

Ice bathing is a must for me, anything over 13 miles.

Do not undertake this training schedule lightheartedly. With repetition, I've become accustomed to the distances, speed, and mostly the heat, without any major injury.

Jeff, you really are an inspiration! You really went from 13 minute miles to whatever crazy pace you're running now, in three years! wow

And everyone else - great job! Especially those of you doing tris for the first time. Amazing!

I'm just checking in for a minute. I've been on and off the boards lately, and mostly off. I've also been spotty with my training, but successfully getting back in the groove again - just in time to leave town! We're taking the family to London and Paris for 10 days on Sunday. My plan is one run in London, and one in Paris. I think it will be a great way to see those cities.

I will probably be mostly off the boards again for a couple of weeks, but I promise to check in when I can. I'll think of all of you when I'm over the pond!

1,000 meter swim in a current, and south swell. Hawaiian roller coaster ride!

100_1860.jpg

100_1835.jpg

100_1849.jpg

100_1864.jpg

Have a great trip Kira.

Jeff That is real dedication. I don't think I have enough of a work ethic to do those kinds of workouts! And the picture of your two girls running through the surf...priceless!

Kira Have phenomenal time in London and Paris! London is such a great city and Paris isn't too shabby either (assuming there isn't some kind of strike by maintenance workers....which I have encountered before!)

Terri I hope your mother's health improves.

Mel Hang in there on the swimming....it's bound to get better!

Everyone else, howdy!

Getting down to the wire on training before my SUnday tri. Today did a bike workout (all of this is indoors, BTW) and tomorrow a short run. Went to a local park last night and tried out the wetsuit--swimming in the lake was a different experience. I'll just have to try my best to swim without veering too far off course.

Only two more work days til vacation...yeah!

Maura

Jeff? What do you consider moderate speed on the bike? :scared: All I have is a mountain bike though, nothing speedy.

Mel, I'm sure your endurance with the swimming will build fast :hug: I know you'll conquer it :woohoo:

Debra/Maura and the dualalong funnies :lmao: Maura it sounds like you will be tossing in a Monty dvd this weekend LOL

Jeff I was telling hubby about your HILL training and laughing that it makes my hills look like ant hills. LOL He's heard of you :laughing: in fact I still need to post a photo I took in the winter to counter YOUR water photos. We have been going to a local metro park that has a 6 mile trail around a lake. I'd be walking/running watching for ice on the trail and looking out over our frozen lake thinking of YOUR water views. It gave me quite a few smiles/chuckles during those cold days especially since I would be a few miles ahead of DH and no one around for miles.

Off to do some miles today. Jeff thanks for reminding me of the bike. That might be something I could do before work to get something in fast and early. :woohoo: Now to convince myself that getting up even earlier on the work day is what I WANT to do LOL

Happy training! Kim!! PD for that foot!

As for me, I started my training for the Philly Distance Run this week.

I'm doing that run, I have heard it is a good event.

I am hoping the rain that is in the forecast holds off so I can get out on the bike after work. It's been a nice week so a day or rain won't be terrible but I want to hit the road for a bit on the bike.

Quick run by...

Jeff - :eek::eek::worship:

Mel - understand about the pool (actually drives me nuts swimming back and forth) but it'll all come together. Just take it easy. Find a nice sprint tri for your first - good distance. I'm thinking half Ironman next year.

Maura - you are going to do GREAT this Sunday!!

Megan/Frank - I'm thinking of doing the Philly Distance run with Duckie.

Big HELLO to everyone!!

I've got a duathlon this weekend then biking/running events including RnR Chicago thru the summer. Have a super sprint tri end of Aug so going to have to balance out training between all three. Still trying to find the right balance and include my weight/core work.

We've got chance of storms today so will have to play tonight's workout by ear. Riding if clear, weight/core/swim if not.

Have a great day!

Posted this on Goofs thread but thought there might be others with same question so posting here too.

I'm trying to figure out this heat/hydration balance. Read about people losing 4-5 lbs after a run or bike yet I come in and have lost maybe a pound after guzzling down water/electrolytes. This mean I am hydrating correctly? Over hydrating?

Last summer was not this hot (especially not this early) so trying to work it all out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Megan/Frank - I'm thinking of doing the Philly Distance run with Duckie.

I say do it, who's it gonna hurt:confused3?

I never really weigh myself after runs but you will know if you body is telling you something is wrong. I do most of my running in the evening so I make sure to keep hydrating while I'm at work. I would also recommend Smart Water for the hot days. Too much water can mess up your electrolyte balance and Smart Water contains them. Sports drink also works but there is so much other crap and sugar in them I try to only have that right after a run or during a long run. The sports drink I recommend is Amino Vital. I get the powder and add it to a shaker. If its good enough for Lance Armstrong its good enough for me.

4 months from day is my first full marathon, it seems so long but I know it will be coming up quick.

Kira, Add me to the list of people jealous of your trip. Have an awesome time!

Liz, I was taught in Human Bio that as long as it is within 1 pound (either way) that your are hydrating close enough to properly. Part of this has to do with the fact that your body may be in different stages of processing the food too.

Jeff, Thanks for once again making me wish I was in Hawaii.

As for me, I did speed work on Tuesday. 5 x 400 at 6:30 mpm with 400m recoveries at 8 mpm pace and a mile warm up. Today I did 5k in under 23.

Best,
Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter