Wine and Dine 2015

My husband got 6.88 - I guess the official race course was 6.72 - not sure what type of 'official' race type that is though. At least we don't have to worry about using this for a proof of time.

After last year's rain and this year's delay/shortened course - would anyone who has ran one or both of them, sign up again? I'm contemplating it for the first time next year, but wonder is it really cursed to be rain/stormed again?

Glad everyone is safe and was able to run. I followed online the updates (during the Nebraska football game which was just as intense) and kept hoping it wouldn't be canceled for everyone. Personally I say be proud of finishing what they gave you to run. What was to be my first marathon way back was cut into a half due to icestorm damage everywhere. I just sharpied 1/2 on the shirt! It's still an accomplishment no matter the distance and you got to run, canceling would have been worse in my opinion! So good job you all!

Why am I awake now!!!

When I heard that the course was shortened I thought they just took out AK and it would be an out and back on Osceola. AK on dry ground in the dark or limited lighting would have been interesting. With the rain in the area, wet ground and lighting, dropping AK was a good call. Was surprised it was cut in half.

I understand the feeling of not completing the stated distance. RunDisney cannot control the weather. In the interest of safety they gave us a course to run and we did it. Yes i wanted to do the whole thing.

So in my opinion on the wear shirts or not, stick magnets or not, go ahead and wear the shirts, wear the medal, and stick the magnets. I will be.

Also if there was a concern about not completing the initially offered course, one should ask, did you accept the finishers medal at the end?

Will I redo this event next year, probably yes for the reason said above.

That is my opinion on this thought.

Very similar to my take on the whole thing. I cannot fault Disney for doing what they did in making the decision that they did. People who are not from Florida or from an area where hurricanes, thunderstorms, lightning strikes etc. are common don't seem to understand how much distance can occur between the lightning strike and the actual eye of the storm.

Last night my husband was having a fit but again he was one of the racers in C corral it seems like to me the people that I met from the higher corrals, and I do not mean to offend so please don't anyone take it that way, it really just seemed like they were so bent out of shape about the whole thing.

Then, something else that I suspect happened based on talking to him once we met up again at the after party and from what I noticed back in corral G H and I; it became a little bit of a free-for-all when it came time to line up the second time around. I know that when I jumped in the corral for I by mistake no one checked my bib and when I jumped in the corral 4H no one was there to check my bib. And corral G seem to be twice the size it actually should have been. Anyone in the earlier corrals that noticed that? Hubby said he actually had people who were clearly not fit and clearly walking across start lime syrup and see you with him. As a matter of fact he noticed that someone next to him was from a much much later corral.

Anyway, that all cannot be helped I suppose. Am I disappointed to run a shorter race? Absolutely. But as someone else said the endurance is in showing up to the start line properly trained. And I can say that I was that. Where my disappointment came in is the fact that I know based on my watch, two apps that I had running and the clocks as I crossed each mile marker, what my finish was. Today I wake up with a time that somehow magically is over a minute per mile more than it was last night on the course. When I knew that I only had to run a 10K I picked up the pace. When I stopped my watch after crossing the finish line last night my finish time was one hour and 20 minutes. According to Disney? I did that run in one hour and 27 minutes. So no, I won't be able to use this run for proof of time. My disappointment comes in the fact that what is officially on the books does not accurately reflect the effort that I put forth on that course last night.

But did I take the medal? Absolutely, and I wear it with pride. I finished the course as it was laid out before me. And I finished strong. I cannot nor do I blame them for shortening the course. However, I would've appreciated someone thinking about moving or changing the mats or what that would mean for timing. But, I took that metal with pride because every mile and every step I put forth 110% effort. So no I may not have run a half marathon last night but I put forth a a half marathons worth of training and a marathons worth of heart into my run last night.

I'm glad to see wo many positive posts on here even with the disappointment that is inevitable. I agree that they made the right call but I would have also liked better communication. I was not on Facebook because I was saving my phone battery. So not until they said it was "modified" and "cut out 6 miles" did I have a clue. A little course description would have been nice and a refresher of what water stops would be there also. My 10k strategy is a bit different mindset than a half. And neither usualy involve an extra 2 miles to the WWoS areas and standing around waiting to even be let into corrals (again another announcement maybe would have been nice).

I was in F and mostly everyone was quiet. Yes cheering to go to the party but also I think some were disappointed. My energy was low by that point too. Deflated. My corral wasnt happy with the shortened course and that's one last comment ill make for Disney- they tried to use that as a silver lining - getting to the party. But I felt that was slightly disrespectful bc a lot I mean a LOT of us bust out butts to prepare and achieve a half marathon and were there to run that, not just party. More focus on our safety, less on getting us to the party would have helped me I think.

I didn't know that we were running a shortened course until the first two corrals had already started LOL for whatever reason I could not keep a stable cellular internet connection until well into Hollywood studios. That level of people density meant that even though my phone said I had full bars an actual Internet connection was damn near impossible. As it is, I was lucky that I have been playing around with the Apple music trial in the past few weeks and had thought to make songs available offline, because I did not download songs from the rock my run app meaning, I was at the start line potentially without music. Admittedly, I was more freaked out about the prospect of running admittedly, I was more freaked out about the prospect of running a 10K with no music than anything else. LOL

After last year's rain and this year's delay/shortened course - would anyone who has ran one or both of them, sign up again? I'm contemplating it for the first time next year, but wonder is it really cursed to be rain/stormed again?

I won't be signing up for W&D again unless there's a REALLY compelling reason (probably, at minimum, there would need to be some medal for a same-day challenge or something), but it's not because of the race this year itself.

I just don't think night races are for me (and they're definitely not for my husband). It just ... kinda felt like a waste of a day? The sitting around and watching what I ate all day and hydrating, etc., just pretty much took away a weekend day that we would normally be spending doing otherwise. At least, with a regular race, we get up early, we run, we go to brunch and drink and go to bed when we get tired. With this race, even if you got tired and were ready for bed, you have to stay up until 10 for the start of the race.

Yesterday just wasn't really fun, because of the sitting around almost feeling like you were being grounded until race time. And did anybody mention how terrible the bus lines were to get from EPCOT/hotels to WWoS?

The husband got pretty grumpy yesterday before the race and went to go wander around (he was not a fan of having to be at WWoS for really no reason). He got many compliments on his costume and got a big pre-race craft beer from one of the concession stands, so that at least held him over during the weather delay. But if he was already on the fence about doing other races with me after January, last night pretty much sealed it for him. He kept comparing the race to Disneyland and how much he liked that one so much more, even though they're two very different animals.

I am glad I did this event, but this is probably a one shot for me too, there are other Disney races I'm more interested in doing. I have also enjoyed the wine and dine experience much more under less crowded condition, even during busy days.
I was definitely not expecting those crowds!

That being said, we've had a great week down here, met some great people, and certainly have a story to tell!

I won't be signing up for W&D again unless there's a REALLY compelling reason (probably, at minimum, there would need to be some medal for a same-day challenge or something), but it's not because of the race this year itself.

I just don't think night races are for me (and they're definitely not for my husband). It just ... kinda felt like a waste of a day? The sitting around and watching what I ate all day and hydrating, etc., just pretty much took away a weekend day that we would normally be spending doing otherwise. At least, with a regular race, we get up early, we run, we go to brunch and drink and go to bed when we get tired. With this race, even if you got tired and were ready for bed, you have to stay up until 10 for the start of the race.

Yesterday just wasn't really fun, because of the sitting around almost feeling like you were being grounded until race time. And did anybody mention how terrible the bus lines were to get from EPCOT/hotels to WWoS?

The husband got pretty grumpy yesterday before the race and went to go wander around (he was not a fan of having to be at WWoS for really no reason). He got many compliments on his costume and got a big pre-race craft beer from one of the concession stands, so that at least held him over during the weather delay. But if he was already on the fence about doing other races with me after January, last night pretty much sealed it for him. He kept comparing the race to Disneyland and how much he liked that one so much more, even though they're two very different animals.

My DH said the same. Said he's done with Disney races. Not just because of the act of moving us (though why the wide open stadium vs the other buildings in not sure) but bc there was NO communication as to why anything was done. Then, no communication on when the race would start. I noticed some people have to jump in our corral last night from higher corrals- looked like one guy may have gotten stuck at the port-a-potty line and by the time he was done was scampering to catch up to his corral. I think he was supposed to be D or E? Not sure. It just was a cluster of epic proportions in that sense.

This was my first half that I signed up for so I am dissapointed but not mad at Disney by any means. Only real issue I had was communication.

I didn't wear my medal at the park today, but do not judge anyone who did. For me I want to get there first. I will be signing up for the first half marathon I can find near home.

I truly appreciate the enthusiasm, support, and positive attitudes of all of you on this thread! It has been a great experience. I am sure I will be on a thread with some of you again in the future, I may sign up for another disney race in 2017.

Good luck to those of you signed up for future RunDisney races!

Yes, I would sign up to run again. It is still my favorite runDisney course (but who knows what they will do during DHS construction). I love running thru animal kingdom and DHS and the start at WWoS is my preferred start vs the Epcot parking lot. In 2012 the weather was great! Probably 60 ish at the start. In 2013 it was warm but not as warm as last night. And no rain for either of those.

I won't be there next year as we are doing Disneyland and a Disney cruise but ill be considering it in 2017.

That being said, I have learned another personal lesson- I think I ll skip the after party next time. I really really really hate the crosswalk process. And the smells of the food don't sit well with me. Of course my foot was hurting so bad last night that was probably most of my grumpiness. Next time I do wine and dine it will be run and sleep and wine and dine all the next day! For me the disappointment was also because I ha a near perfect training cycle - no injuries and only 2 missed runs. Unheard of for me. So I felt super prepared. Plus at the last minute we had a lot of home schedule juggling to do to make this happen and I won't sign up again if our schedule doesn't let us stay for a few days after the race to really enjoy things.

But yes! Don't give up on wine and dine!!!!

My DH said the same. Said he's done with Disney races. Not just because of the act of moving us (though why the wide open stadium vs the other buildings in not sure) but bc there was NO communication as to why anything was done. Then, no communication on when the race would start. I noticed some people have to jump in our corral last night from higher corrals- looked like one guy may have gotten stuck at the port-a-potty line and by the time he was done was scampering to catch up to his corral. I think he was supposed to be D or E? Not sure. It just was a cluster of epic proportions in that sense.

My husband is registered for the 5 and 10 with me in January, but that's pretty much it. He may run the 10 at Disneyland, but when he sees its mostly in-park, he'll probably bail on that in favor of going to breweries and such, or even working up in Santa Monica.

And that's totally his right. I felt pretty bad last night because he was miserable - none of these races have been things he's wanted to do per se, but he's done them because they were important to me and he wanted to be there with me to reach this goal.

He also doesn't have the Disney love I do, but he can be a good sport from time to time.

This was my first half that I signed up for so I am dissapointed but not mad at Disney by any means. Only real issue I had was communication.

I didn't wear my medal at the park today, but do not judge anyone who did. For me I want to get there first. I will be signing up for the first half marathon I can find near home.

I truly appreciate the enthusiasm, support, and positive attitudes of all of you on this thread! It has been a great experience. I am sure I will be on a thread with some of you again in the future, I may sign up for another disney race in 2017.

Good luck to those of you signed up for future RunDisney races!

I'm happy you signed up for another race! Sure, you only get one "first" - but it's (hopefully!) just the first of many! And your first race of a distance is JUST that - your first of many firsts, and setting and breaking of new personal records.

RD events are great for first-timers (at any distance), but they also provide extremely high expectations as well, and when those expectations don't get met it obviously leads to great disappointment - especially when you see the price tag attached.

I know people on FB were saying they should have just canceled it. No way. It may not have been a full half, but I guarantee you were working harder and going faster than 90% of the population at 11 pm on a Saturday night! Even if it was "just" 6.7 miles.

And you are completely right about communication. I know RD was making live announcements (which you could barely hear) as well as posting stuff on Twitter and Facebook - but the cell service and wifi bandwidth at WWoS was AWFUL. Nobody could get on their phone to see what was going on, I couldn't even send texts to find my husband or friends at one point because the network was so throttled and overloaded. I'd hate to think how much worse it could've been if something terrible had happened like a tornado or a really devastating storm and nobody can reach the outside world. So if you're reading this, Disney -- up the bandwidth and get more cell towers at WWoS!!

Glad everyone is safe and was able to run. I followed online the updates (during the Nebraska football game which was just as intense) and kept hoping it wouldn't be canceled for everyone. Personally I say be proud of finishing what they gave you to run. What was to be my first marathon way back was cut into a half due to icestorm damage everywhere. I just sharpied 1/2 on the shirt! It's still an accomplishment no matter the distance and you got to run, canceling would have been worse in my opinion! So good job you all!
Yeah. Thinking about it for 2017.

As far as I know this is the first time they have delayed/shortened a race (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), so for them this was uncharted territory. "Lack of communication" is a common complaint I have seen - rD was tweeting stuff but that's not helpful if you want to conserve your phone battery.

I would highly recommend shooting rD an email with your thoughts on how they handled things - suggesting they turn off the music to make announcements seems like a no-brainer. We have seen them listen before (i.e. Changing the corralling system to help with course crowding). Hopefully they can learn from this and be better prepared if something like this happens again.

I actually bailed on music entirely which is unheard of for me! I had only been going to use it on the roads outside of the parks but when I heard we were going right to Studios, I just decided to go with the atmosphere.

I have never run a fall race away from home because of family commitments, but my youngest son only has 2 more years of HS and that will change. Looking forward to this one and the ToT (if they bring it back). Weather does not impact my running, so I wouldn't care about rain - even very heavy rain wouldn't bother me. And a shortened course wouldn't either. So, yeah, I hope to run this one some day.

I know people on FB were saying they should have just canceled it. No way. It may not have been a full half, but I guarantee you were working harder and going faster than 90% of the population at 11 pm on a Saturday night! Even if it was "just" 6.7 miles.
I am glad they didn't cancel it. Although I am very good about going with the flow (especially on things I cannot change), that would have probably ruffled my feathers. I am glad I still got to run through the lights, and the most important thing is I spent 5 great days of vacation with my lovely wife. We celebrated our 15th anniversary and had a magical time. Now to talk her into doing one of these down the road.

I would highly recommend shooting rD an email with your thoughts on how they handled things - suggesting they turn off the music to make announcements seems like a no-brainer. We have seen them listen before (i.e. Changing the corralling system to help with course crowding). Hopefully they can learn from this and be better prepared if something like this happens again.

Yes. This.
I'm guessing that most of what rD is seeing right now is people complaining and wanting refunds. That doesn't help them make improvements. If you want the system to be better, suggest something that you noticed missing. If they get enough emails saying "we couldn't hear the announcements over the music," they'll know that they need to turn the music down to make announcements. If they get a lot of emails about corral jumpers, they may try to put in place a system to prevent corral jumping after a delay.

If this is the first time they've had a delay, then I'm not surprised they made mistakes. But they do need to know what people felt was working and what wasn't working so that they know what changes to make in case it happens again.

We were in Corral F which was supposed to be the last corral in that front section and then there was a break and there were so many jumpers. I knew no one with a number above 4000 something should be up there and I saw people over 10000. The worst was that so many people jumped we actually didn't get to start until the G corral. There were quite a few other Fs around us so not sure what happened.
We had to do so much weaving around people. We ran much harder than we had planned to once we found out it was shortened.
I ended up with 6.91. And Run Disney had my times right on with what I had on my watch.
But the communication was definitely the worst. The announcer came on and said it was a modified course but then never actually let us know. Someone near us said it was shortened to a 10k but I would have liked to know officially. We had talked to a CM right before they sent is back down and we asked about the shortening and he told us no way, it was all or nothing so I was very confused.
Disappointed since this was our first 1/2, not sure when we will schedule again but hope to accomplish it soon!

I just checked my time. It didn't seem to far off from that I thought it was. Considering the time I spent inside of Osbourne family lights I was very happy.

We were in Corral F which was supposed to be the last corral in that front section and then there was a break and there were so many jumpers. I knew no one with a number above 4000 something should be up there and I saw people over 10000. The worst was that so many people jumped we actually didn't get to start until the G corral. There were quite a few other Fs around us so not sure what happened.
We had to do so much weaving around people. We ran much harder than we had planned to once we found out it was shortened.
I ended up with 6.91. And Run Disney had my times right on with what I had on my watch.
But the communication was definitely the worst. The announcer came on and said it was a modified course but then never actually let us know. Someone near us said it was shortened to a 10k but I would have liked to know officially. We had talked to a CM right before they sent is back down and we asked about the shortening and he told us no way, it was all or nothing so I was very confused.
Disappointed since this was our first 1/2, not sure when we will schedule again but hope to accomplish it soon!

I just went and rechecked my watch. My total was 6.92; so not far from you. I must've run some horrible tangents. But mostly I was surrounded by fellow g's and h's (and a speedier I here and there) up through international gateway at least. I know on the backside of Boardwalk- leading to the first bridge before yacht club- was where I got curious and started peeking at other bibs as I ran.

And I will partially retract my complaint- my watch time is only about 20 seconds faster per mile than Disney. It was mapmyrun and runkeeper that had me so far off. Their distance is also higher- so prob why my per mile was so much better.

My 10k time per Garmin, however is 1:18, still a full 10 minutes faster than the total Disney is reporting as my finish time.

Oh well, guess I didn't do as well as I thought- but the heart and effort was definitely there either way. Though, now knowing I wasn't as fast as I thought I was, I would have spent more time at the Lights. Only spent an extra minute through there according to my Garmin data.

Anyway, I'm sorry guys to keep bringing it up. My Virgo side is shining through- I'm just disappointed in myself more than anything. Forgive me.

As for the corral jumpers- I really don't understand that. It honestly never occurred to me to get in a corral other than mine. But I would like to give that constructive criticism back to RD; I think they were so focused on getting us out there that some stuff kind of fell by the wayside. If anyone finds an email address it would be handy to share it here.

Like others of you said; I'd also like to make them aware of the communication issues esp with the network back there. 15k people that close together did a number on most people's connectivity and so while they may have thought Twitter and FB was great, many of us couldn't see updates. My concern is what if it had been serious info? Many of us would have missed it.

I will see how Princess goes in Feb before deciding the fate of the odds of me running wine and dine in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter