Windy City, Smoky Mountains ~ Day 2 - Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium & John Hancock Obs

wickesy

<font color=royalblue>Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love y
I woke up a couple of times early morning but didn’t check the time and once I did check the time it was already 6:00 so I didn’t really do that badly at all! We were up at 6:40 and found that the coffee maker was only big enough to make us a couple of mouthfuls each - still that is enough for me anyway so no big problem.

We got ready and at 8:30 I phoned down to ask the valet to get our car out for us. We picked it up at 8:40 and after a short drive we were parked up by the Field Museum. We bought tickets for general admission and for the Real Pirates exhibition and Dad managed to get away with Senior rate even though it was for over 65 and he is only 62!

SANY0020.jpg

The main reason for going here was for the Real Pirates exhibition, which was all about the slave ship Wydah; a former slave ship that was seized by pirates and then sank in a storm with all but two of it’s crew and all their treasure. It was recovered two hundred years later and a lot of the artifacts have been put on display. It was a really interesting exhibition and, although no photography was allowed, there is a website all about it here.

DSCF0688.jpg

After looking round the exhibition we went down to the bakery where I had a root beer, Dad had a cherry coke and we had a maple pecan bar each. Suitably refreshed I took a couple of photos of ‘Sue’, the world’s largest Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton. All of the bones are genuine, except for the skull which is a replica as the real one is too heavy for the display.

SANY0021.jpg

SANY0025.jpg

I also took a picture for Michelle. ;)

SANY0024.jpg

From there we had a look around the Ancient Americas exhibit and then went up to the 3D theatre for a film called ’Dinosaurs Alive’ all about how dinosaurs lived and died and how they have been preserved as fossils. After the film we went down to McDonalds for lunch where I had a third-pounder bacon and cheeseburger and Dad had a half-pounder with cheese and we had a coke each.

After lunch we went up to the ‘Evolving Planet’ exhibition which was all about how life has evolved on the planet all the way from its very beginnings up until today.

SANY0027.jpg

SANY0028.jpg

SANY0029.jpg

We then had a quick look around the museum store before making our way out at 1:35 and up to the Shedd Aquarium nearby.

Continued

By now the aquarium was quite crowded so we made our way around a bit quicker than we normally would have done but we did sit and have a break while watching the penguins and I got this photo with Laurs (Arieljasmine) in mind.

SANY0032.jpg

After watching the penguins we went up to the food court and got an apple juice for me and a coke for Dad which we took outside to drink while enjoying a view of the Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan.

SANY0033.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

SANY0035.jpg

We then had a quick look around the shop and bought some fridge magnets.

DSCF0693.jpg

DSCF0696.jpg

From there we made our way back to the car park. What we hadn’t realised was that Soldier Field (a stadium on the same site as the museum and aquarium) was the venue for a couple of football matches that evening so traffic was a bit heavy getting out and we also had to stop while the USA team bus made it’s way across in front of us to get into the stadium.

We were back at the suite by 4:30 where we had a break before going out for the evening. At 7:15 we went back out with no real idea of where we were going to eat. As we wandered we stumbled across Grand Lux Café which I remembered somebody had recommended to me and, after initially walking past it, we came back to it and asked how long the wait would be. We were told it would be 30 minutes and we were given a pager which went off after 20 minutes. We were shown to a table, which the greeter was surprised to see hadn’t been ‘bussed’ yet so we waited while a couple of places were laid and then sat down. Dad had the Polynesian salad with a beer and I had the South-Western Salad with a glass of House Chardonnay and we also ordered a box of baked to order cookies to take away with us. The total bill including tip was $67.

From the restaurant we went to the John Hancock Observatory where we bought Sun and Stars passes which would allow us to go up today and return any time within the next 48 hours so we could see the view in daylight as well. We had a wander around and listened to the audio tour and I got a few pictures.

SANY0039.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

SANY0044.jpg

We then made our way back down and we were back at the suite by 10:30 where we went straight to bed.

Today’s Disney reference is:

SANY0030.jpg

Day 3

what a great day, 'sue' looks a bit scary the city looks really scenic, not what I would expect.

great disney reference :rotfl:

Great trip report.

Did 'the song' manage to worm it's way into your head and stay there for hours on end, eating away at you like some tormenting Disney villain, turning your brain to mush with the result of you rushing back to your hotel, retreating to the nearest corner and rocking gently backwards and forwards whilst humming 'it's a small world after all'
No??
Must be just me then.

:laughing: I did mean to post an apology to all those who have now got the song stuck in their heads. ;)

A great day.....the museums look really interesting. :thumbsup2

Hey,great butt shot-i love butt shot's :thumbsup2.
The girls love the Dinosaur pics :thumbsup2.I love your pics from the observatory centre.
And may i ask what is a 'third pounder' equivalent to :confused3.
Great Disney reference.x.

ETA-now i have re-read what i wrote-i don't think me saying i love butt shot's is quite a good idea.I can imagine my PM box getting rather full of animal+human :scared1: butt shot's :lmao: :rotfl2: .x.

Did 'the song' manage to worm it's way into your head and stay there for hours on end, eating away at you like some tormenting Disney villain, turning your brain to mush with the result of you rushing back to your hotel, retreating to the nearest corner and rocking gently backwards and forwards whilst humming 'it's a small world after all'
No??
Must be just me then.

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:,it did'nt annoy you too much then Kenny ;) :laughing:.x.

Hey,great butt shot-i love butt shot's :thumbsup2.
The girls love the Dinosaur pics :thumbsup2.I love your pics from the observatory centre.
And may i ask what is a 'third pounder' equivalent to :confused3.
Great Disney reference.x.

ETA-now i have re-read what i wrote-i don't think me saying i love butt shot's is quite a good idea.I can imagine my PM box getting rather full of animal+human :scared1: butt shot's :lmao: :rotfl2: .x.

I was thinking of your girls when we were in there - they had a whole load of dinosaur stuff in the shop that I'm sure Chloe and Emily would have loved - don't ever go there it will cost you (another) fortune! :laughing: I was a bit disappointed with the night observatory shots - most of them came out very, very blurry because I turned the flash off to try and prevent glare from the windows. Got some great day ones coming up though. :thumbsup2

A third pounder is just a bit bigger than a quarterpounder but a bit less than a halfpounder. ;)

Oooh you really don't want to be getting any human butt shots. :sick: I thought I'd carry on our animal butt shot exchange though. :lmao:

A third pounder is just a bit bigger than a quarterpounder but a bit less than a halfpounder. ;)

Oooh you really don't want to be getting any human butt shots. :sick: I thought I'd carry on our animal butt shot exchange though. :lmao:

Ok i asked for that answer regarding the burger :rolleyes:.

I said to Tony,i wonder if David will get a butt shot of 'somthing' to post for me,and we both agreed that surely it would'nt be possible where you were going. How wrong were we :thumbsup2.x.

A great day at the museums. Love the photos:goodvibes

what is a third pounder?

It's a new size in American McDonalds restaurants - between a quarterpounder and a halfpounder. See them here (Authors note: This link is not suitable for those who are hungry ;) )

I was a bit disappointed with the night observatory shots - most of them came out very, very blurry because I turned the flash off to try and prevent glare from the windows

Still look pretty impressive David, the Pirates exhibition sounds brilliant, thanks for the link. :thumbsup2

It seems the Americans really know how to "do" museums - your day sounds really interesting!

Thank you so much for the penguin pic :hug: I was very touched by that :hug:

Your day sounded fascinating, the pirates exhibition especially sounds brilliant. I would really fancy the observatory too.

And I have IASW stuck in my head now but I don't care because it's nearly time for us to go back to Florida!

Laur's xx

Thank you so much for the penguin pic :hug: I was very touched by that :hug:

No problem, I remember you saying on one of my previous trippies that you love penguins so now whenever I see penguins I think of you. :hug:

Looks like a really interesting day, getting some ideas here!! RE night shots: My bf tells me that a tripod is the key, or something else to keep the camera absolutely still. It is really hard to get good ones though, mine never turn out well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter