Windows Vista?

JohnnySharp2

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a
Hello all,

Anybody have this on their home pc/laptop?

Currently have windows xp but have been thinking of upgrading to a new pc for a while now due to a few minor niggles with our current one.

Any feedback good or bad appreciated.

Hi Johnny,

I've been running Vista on one of my laptops for about 6 months now and I really like it. I can't say I have had many problems although at the time I thought configuring the wireless networking was a bit more convoluted than XP - but that just may have been due to unfamiliarity :blush: On a more advanced topic I do some development that means I need to run IIS and this is certainly a lot different on Vista as it will be on Windows Server 2008 but I suspect that doesn't matter to you.

Generally I know there are some applications that still don't run properly on Vista and some manufacturers still haven't released compatible device drivers for some peripherals so it would probably be wise just to check that everything you want to run is capable of being run ov Vista before you go ahead and buy.

If I was buying a new machine today I would definitely go for a Vista one over an XP one though.

Hope that helps. :)

hello johnny baby, how you doin? (said in Joey Tribbiani stylee)
I have vista on my laptop and its great, took me ages to get it all set up, there does seem to be firewalls blocking everything, even my broadband supplier (tescos) said they weren't configured to run with vista but I fiddled an diddled and got it working.
(not bad for a dumb blonde!)

Fine thanks babe - you?

As Alan says and I had heard also a lot of applications don't run that well on vista yet.

Think we are overdue a new spec as often some of the online games I play freeze etc
Disboards access is fine though!

Hi Johnny.

As Carol and Alan have said, Vista on a new stand alone PC is very good. The problems seem to come when integrating with an existing system or trying to link old peripherals and software.

I got a Vista laptop a few months ago and it was quite a pain trying to get it to talk to my wireless network correctly. After a lot of searching on the internet, downloading or patches and general tweaking, it now works fine.

It does seem to 'hold your hand' a little more than previous Windows versions, I guess you can view this as a good thing or a bad thing dependant on your PC capabilities.
I really don't see it as the quantum leap forward that some were saying it would be. I certainly wouldn't upgrade an existing PC, but it's fine if you are buying a new PC.

Kev

Thanks Guys (and Gal)!

It is a new pc Kev and would be built at a local computer store who seem friendly and nice.
Decent spec at a much cheaper price than the likes of pc world etc

Have a good weekend ;)

Said on behalf of dh as i can just about manage to switch the thing on. :sad2: We have 3 computers at home 2 pc and 1 laptop (vista). They are all networked and run to wireless printers and fax. It was a hassle networking it to the other pcs and setting up broadband, but worth it. We havent had any problems with it.In fact it is easier to use.

HTH

Said on behalf of dh as i can just about manage to switch the thing on. :sad2: We have 3 computers at home 2 pc and 1 laptop (vista). They are all networked and run to wireless printers and fax. It was a hassle networking it to the other pcs and setting up broadband, but worth it. We havent had any problems with it.In fact it is easier to use.

HTH

Have just nipped out and bought a new pc so let's hope so. ;)

Seems to have a good spec with an Intel Core Quad 6600 processor.

Thanks again my dear friends.

Hi,

The desktop pc and laptop at work run with vista without too many probs. Our coach private hire program prints out a blank invoice then a proper one every time, the company that provided it haven't got a patch for it yet, neither have the photocopier/printer people but that seems ok.

I've disabled the security feature on the desktop but my colleague still has it on the laptop - 'Are you sure you wish to open/delete this file?' - YES!! If you look on the US apple site at the apple ads they have a very funny take on windows vs apple with the security feature!

Oh and vista gadgets are cool - you can put orlando weather on your desktop! I also have clock, calendar and sticky notes on my desktop.

Lynn
:goodvibes

Agree with all on here, Vicki has been running her laptop with Windows Vista and loves it, she had a few teething problems to start with, but soon had them sorted:thumbsup2

Cool, thanks again everyone - I like the Orlando weather bit Lynn!

Should have the new pc late next week.

Well i'm sat here using my laptop which uses Vista Home Premium, and I absolutely hate it. If i used anything other than Internet Explorer, it would be formatted and XP installed in a flash.
I run XP Media Centre Edition on 2 of my desktops upstairs, and XP Pro on the other.

If you dont like Vista Johnny, don't forget our wonderful employer gives us MSDN access, so you can wipe it and install XP using the MSDN licence.

Are you on MS Office Communicator at work by the way ?

Tron[ADS];21182572 said:
Well i'm sat here using my laptop which uses Vista Home Premium, and I absolutely hate it. If i used anything other than Internet Explorer, it would be formatted and XP installed in a flash.
I run XP Media Centre Edition on 2 of my desktops upstairs, and XP Pro on the other.

If you dont like Vista Johnny, don't forget our wonderful employer gives us MSDN access, so you can wipe it and install XP using the MSDN licence.

Are you on MS Office Communicator at work by the way ?

Sorry you don't like Vista mate - especially as my new pc has it!

Yes I am on the new communicator and it's absolute pony! although I do like the sheep smiley.

Our desktop runs with XP and the laptop runs with Vista. They seem to work perfectly well with one another and of the two, I actually prefer Vista.

DD`s laptop has Windows Vista - she likes it.
I did phone Curry`s helpline about something unrelated and the prompts went something like this -
For help with fridges press 1
For cookers press 2
laptops and computers press 3
For windows vista press 4

I`m not kidding - however I think that is when people buy the software only.

I have a windows vista.My dad paid $900 for,but I dont know how much that is in pounds or whatever.It runs really well and its a laptop.

My dad got a Vista preloaded PC several months ago and it had been ok apart from a few compatability issues with things. His internet provider is AOL and their software would not work on his computer with it no matter what and they will not accept it. They say it should and told my dad his computer must not have enough memory and stuff. It was brand new!!!!!:mad: He can still get on through IE anyway. And his new printer wouldn't work but he just downloaded a new driver from the makers website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter