Votes: 51 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 79 50.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have flown in the past did you choose your flights based on manufacturer or plane type?

Most of the flying public does not.
Many frequent fliers, who make up a sizable portion of passengers, do take notice of which planes they're flying.

I'm a leisure-only flyer, but I do take notice of which planes are offered and choose accordingly. I selected A380's for flights to Europe this summer, and hope there are no plane swaps. If enough passengers decide a Max 8 isn't safe & try to avoid it, that will be a problem for airlines with the Max 8. Airlines also won't want to deal with customers calling in to check if their plane is a Max 8, and asking to be rebooked if it is.

Remember how the movie "Jaws" kept people out of the water? The Max 8 has the potential to be a flying "Jaws", in terms of scaring people away from flying. Airlines won't want to deal with that.

Last edited:
I said "quality pilots", not "pilots with flying skills". He wasn't properly vetted for mental health issues. He wasn't a quality, safe pilot.

We crossed posts - I edited to add the smiley face as I didn't want to seem confrontational. However, being vetted for mental health issues is on the company.

Do we know for fact that all U.S airlines trained their pilots how to deal with this situation?
We do know that to fly for a US airline you need 2500+ hours of flight time. Much more then the 200 the pilot had in the crash.

Quality pilots aren't guaranteed by the home country of the airline. Remember the German pilot who intentionlly flew his plane into a mountain?
There is safe enough.

Everyone has to draw their own line as to what constitutes safe enough.

German Wings would qualify as safe enough in my book.

I am always aware of the type of plane I'm scheduled to fly. I fly 3-4 times a year, and can tell you for a fact the type of planes I'm scheduled to fly on the remainder of the year. I'm one of those 'aware' travelers who pays attention to that. My next flight is an Embraer on United from MSP tp EWR, and from there, on a United 767-300 to TXL. Without looking, I can also tell you our seat assignments (realizing those can change). I'm just the type of traveler to pay attention to that. So, when I say I will not fly a Max 8, I can tell you affirmatively that I would avoid flights where that was the scheduled aircraft.

I am always aware of the type of plane I'm scheduled to fly. I fly 3-4 times a year, and can tell you for a fact the type of planes I'm scheduled to fly on the remainder of the year. I'm one of those 'aware' travelers who pays attention to that. My next flight is an Embraer on United from MSP tp EWR, and from there, on a United 767-300 to TXL. Without looking, I can also tell you our seat assignments (realizing those can change). I'm just the type of traveler to pay attention to that. So, when I say I will not fly a Max 8, I can tell you affirmatively that I would avoid flights where that was the scheduled aircraft.

Me too - I always know what aircraft I'll be flying on. I have been known to choose flights for a certain aircraft, or airport if there's a layover. Unless I'm convinced that a fix is just that (i.e. if Mary Schiavo says so) I too will avoid them.

The odds of being hired as a pilot for a 737 sized plane with less then 2500 hours is minuscule.
Again, not true.
The odds of upgrading to Captain with less than 2500 hours is minuscule, but getting initially hired as first officer is not that uncommon. Agreed it’s not the norm, but I wouldn’t say “rare”.

Does anyone know if all American pilots that flew the series in question were trained on how to respond to the MCAS problem?

Weird thing to celebrate, but if it makes you feel better. I still suspect they'll be in the air within the month. Good news for me, is I don't fly any of the crappy airlines that purchased this plane. ;-)

Weird thing to celebrate, but if it makes you feel better. I still suspect they'll be in the air within the month. Good news for me, is I don't fly any of the crappy airlines that purchased this plane. ;-)
Which airlines do you fly?

Totally and utterly false. Once again, you seem eager to cite pilot error when it simply isn't the case.
If Boeing made an error, they made an error. There is nothing to celebrate in the deaths. As I said a long time ago there will be multiple factors listed in the final report. All the blame will not rest on a single entity or piece of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter