Will you cruise if face masks are required on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mask policies are a joke, especially on planes. You must where a mask unless you are holding a bag of crackers, the virus is scared of crackers and sodas you see.

Then some people will get mad if others are wearing the mask under their nose, if they are not holding a bag of crackers. lol.
Yeah. Lots of rules that seem arbitrary many other places as well.

I would not, but not because of the mask rule. It is because the ship would likely have a lot of people who rationalized not wearing masks, and put us all at risk. The potential consequences of this virus aren't worth it. DCL will still be around when this is all over and we can't wait to sail again.

We currently have reservations for an Oct. cruise and will cruise wearing masks. We will be receiving our 1st COVID injection on Monday and will cruise wearing masks AND will continue to wear masks when in public until ............................ ????????????????

I would not, but not because of the mask rule. It is because the ship would likely have a lot of people who rationalized not wearing masks, and put us all at risk. The potential consequences of this virus aren't worth it. DCL will still be around when this is all over and we can't wait to sail again.
We all rationalized not wearing masks prior to 2020. Now, its just a few of us.

Last edited:

I notice that for some people masks are extremely damaging to their sense of identity, but masks don't bother me at all, even for extended periods. But I still wouldn't go on a cruise that required it because I feel like someone will inevitably get sick and cut the trip short. Vaccinated-only cruises sound like they have a higher likelihood of success though.

I notice that for some people masks are extremely damaging to their sense of identity, but masks don't bother me at all, even for extended periods. But I still wouldn't go on a cruise that required it because I feel like someone will inevitably get sick and cut the trip short. Vaccinated-only cruises sound like they have a higher likelihood of success though.
Your empathetic comment literally made me cry.

I am one of the people who finds facemasks dehumanizing to me, and I am used to receiving almost nothing but sweeping condemnation. My extended family even had "secret Christmas" without us. We found out about it inadvertently from my niece, who posts every minutia of her life on Facebook.

I know you have a different personal opinion on this than I do, but you seem empathetic and kind.

I am one of the people who finds facemasks dehumanizing to me, and I am used to receiving almost nothing but sweeping condemnation. My extended family even had "secret Christmas" without us. We found out about it inadvertently from my niece, who posts every minutia of her life on Facebook.

I know you have a different personal opinion on this than I do, but you seem empathetic and kind.

I am with you on masks and identity. They do affect identity. When you can barely tell which kid is who in a group pic with all masks that says something. It’s a huge reason people have issues with it and don’t agree with masks should be law and never go away when in public.

I am with you on masks and identity. They do affect identity. When you can barely tell which kid is who in a group pic with all masks that says something. It’s a huge reason people have issues with it and don’t agree with masks should be law and never go away when in public.

For anybody who wants masks to bethe law when in public then you wear it don’t restrict other people I don’t want to wear this **** no more and I cannot wait for this to be over

For anybody who wants masks to bethe law when in public then you wear it don’t restrict other people I don’t want to wear this **** no more and I cannot wait for this to be over

I agree, but sadly I know too many that want it to be law based on it keeps everyone else healthier and it’s respectful, but ugh I’m over it. We can’t be walking around fearful of others it’s not healthy. I don’t think it will become law but it just baffles my mind wanting it. Wear it if you want and move on.

Nobody wants to wear masks, but wearing masks protects others less than it does protect you. And frankly, I expect that masks will be the last thing society drops as we reopen things up once this pandemic is under control.

We wouldn't. We recently went to a ski resort for 2 days and of course, wore our masks. I found it very difficult to wear constantly, even in the cold. I understand some people wear them all day for their jobs and I do too when I am in my office and not working tele, but paying for an expensive trip and having such limits seems not worth it.

I know you and I have sparred here in the past, but I want to offer this--kindly--for your consideration. Your comment about empathy is interesting and I'd ask you to consider the possibility that you, too, lack empathy.

People wear these (god-awful) masks to protect those around us, not to protect ourselves. You've said before that you and your spouse only visit businesses that don't enforce your local mask mandate and that you frequently dine out. This puts you at a much higher risk of contracting the virus. By not wearing a mask, you are much more likely to spread it after you've caught it. Your extended family probably didn't invite you to their Christmas celebrations because your choices make them scared to be around you. If you would sacrifice by (1) wearing a mask, (2) social distancing, and (3) avoiding public spaces in accordance with CDC guidelines, then I suspect that your loved ones would be more comfortable being near you.

I'm not saying this to be combative, but please consider the possibility that you might be in the wrong, that your stance on this is frightening to the people you care about, and that your actions could harm others.

Last edited:
I’ve been to Disney World twice since the mask rule started but I’m not sure I would want to do a cruise with a mask

Once the rules are posted we can answer this better.

It could be as simple as:
"Masks are encouraged when moving throughout the ship when unable to social distance."

Or:
"Masks are required in all parts of the ship. The only exceptions are the cabins. All food and drink must be consumed in cabins."

What I don't understand is people who are very adamant that masks are needed for safety but are okay with exceptions for dining and around pools. That is like saying seatbelts must be warn while driving unless you are listening to classical music.

What I don't understand is people who are very adamant that masks are needed for safety but are okay with exceptions for dining and around pools. That is like saying seatbelts must be warn while driving unless you are listening to classical music.
The likelihood of contracting Covid, as well as how severe a case one will get, is related to the amount of exposure one has received. If people are masked most of the time, that is a lot safer than being masked none of the time.

Swimming, eating and drinking are impossible with masks on. So you would effectively have to ban those activities in public areas if people can never, ever take off their masks when around others.

Some people right now are choosing to never be in a situation where they are even temporarily unmasked in public (pools, having a drink or snack on a plane, etc.), but others are willing to do those activities. Doing so does increase the risk somewhat, but it does not nullify the benefit of wearing a mask most of the time.

Last edited:
Depending on the pool (how crowded, how large) I can see being maskless as it is outdoors. However the cruise ship pools are normally kids soup- completely packed. Aqua duck with a distanced line is likely safer than kids stacked in a cruise ship pool.

Similarly restaurants vary- outdoor dining with lots of space between tables and a server wearing a mask properly vs indoors. DCL restaurants are all indoors with set dining times and usually full dining rooms. Even if they add on a rotation (and that itself would be a challenge) they pose some serious risk being all indoors even if they can somewhat space tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter