Will i be able to have a "pool day" in December ?

Please help me with my question. Your answer can help me and everyone who plans to travel to Orlando at this time, to save money on hotel choice.

We went December 13-22, 2015 and we went swimming as well as to the water park Typhoon Lagoon. It was beautiful, temps were in the 80's most days, some day it was a bit cooler. I do believe it was exceptionally warm that year. What we did was look at the forecast days before we left. We then had to adjust our clothing we were packing.
December was a great time to go.

We go the week before/week of Christmas every year. Last year we were able to swim 2 days out of 6. Those days the temps were around 80 degrees. The majority of the others days were in the 70's. The pool was packed pretty much everyday at the Polynesian during our stay. Disney pools are heated the water parks are not.

There is just no way to know for sure. We have gone in December 3 times. The weather has ranged from HOT (like, you NEED to be in the pool HOT), to chilly enough that you want a jacket even in the middle of the day. And everything in between. This last year, 3 out of our 4 days were at or near record high temps for that date - around 90. The last day was cool and rainy. The trip before that was pleasantly warm, and before that was mostly cool.

The weather can change quickly too. So you might have a little bit of each over the course of your trip.

I would say that if you are going to be there for a full week, chances are good that at least a couple of days will be warm/hot. But, don't break the bank with a fancy pool because you are absolutely counting on it.

with global warming definitely, Florida days are hot and cold days are announced and only last a couple of days until the heat is back, and having heated pool is a plus. Have a great Trip!

I'm so glad someone else asked about this! I was wondering the same thing for our winter trip.
My stubborn little one would probably ask to swim in an ice cold pool anyway, just because it's there. :rolleyes2

I'm so glad someone else asked about this! I was wondering the same thing for our winter trip.
My stubborn little one would probably ask to swim in an ice cold pool anyway, just because it's there. :rolleyes2

The pools are heated.

Maybe. Maybe not. No one will be able to tell you definitively on here if you will be able to swim in December as it is so variable. We've gone three Decembers (mid-December plus Christmas week). One year it was too cold to swim and the past two years (2015 and 2016) we could have swam every day if we had wanted to. We've also gone in February, October and November when it was freezing cold (lower 50's).

No way to tell. Before moving to Orlando 3 years ago, I visited WDW in early December for 25+ years. In all that time I've experienced wide extremes of temperatures. Even on the same weekend. I've got pictures from one visit where we were in shorts/t-shirts on Friday and winter coats/hats/gloves on Monday.

with global warming definitely, Florida days are hot and cold days are announced and only last a couple of days until the heat is back, and having heated pool is a plus. Have a great Trip!

Well, it's *climate change*, which means things are totally floopy.

Any of us who were there in January 2010 for Disney on Ice (sleeting during the half or full marathon) (I wasn't there but heard about it) or later that year in December (it was in the 20s the morning my son and I were at Islands of Adventure riding Hippogriff 14 times in a FREEZING row), or a few other of my visits since when it was truly literally freezing...will tell you that climate CHANGE can cause weird things.

Pools may be but the air isn't. Doesn't matter if the pool is heated if it is 40 outside.

Very true.

And if you're bobbing around in an 85 degree pool and the air is 45, anything that's wet and gets into the air will be cold. It's not fun when your hair and associated scalp are slightly wet from splashes and then that part of you is exposed to the air. Be sure to have someone staying dry who has loads of towels to wrap the swimmers in.

But WDW (not sure about Uni) is getting better about actually closing the pools when it gets really cold. Safer for their lifeguards IMO.

Honestly the weather is like a women at that time of the year....YES I SAID that....I am a women. I remember the middle of dec being in the 40's and 50's and by christmas it was back in the 70's. You honestly just have to watch the weather as it gets closer.

We went in 2015 and while my husband was all about the pool I wasn't. But it was still good weather during the day.

Honestly the weather is like a women at that time of the year....YES I SAID that....I am a women.
You wouldn't say that if you were related to the men in my family or married to my husband :crazy: . My sisters (and my sisters in law) and I rarely change our minds once plans are made, while the men...

*ahem*

I've been in early December and in late December. Frankly, odds are...depending on your length of stay...you will have some days with pool weather. If you're going for a few days, you might hit a very cold or very warm spell. If you're going for a week or longer, you will probably get a mix of temps (warm to cool, hot to frigid).

I'm someone who would go in December and totally plan on pool time. But then, I can swim in a heated pool when the weather is in the 50s :teeth: .

It's a crap shoot. Most of the time it is upper 70s and while not perfect pool weather, plenty of people enjoy the pools. However, if a cold front rolls through, it will be too cold for even the bravest of people to use the pools.

Yes the temperature varies so there is no way of knowing until December. Another thing that should be thrown into the equation is where someone is traveling from. We live in central NY so coming from the cold and snow to a warmer climate I think it makes it easier to swim even when the temps are cool in FL. My sons would swim if it were 60 outside however someone that is coming from a warm climate already probably wouldn't even get close to a pool if it were that chilly.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. I go prepared to swim but have had visits that the weather was just too cold even fir this New England gal. The weather is all over the place.

I agree with others who said it depends. We've been twice in December, each time being different as far as weather. In December 2003, temps were in the 30s-40s and the resort pool was actually closed the whole week due to the cold. We weren't prepared for it being that cold and had to buy coats/gloves (and we are used to the cold). We went again December 2010 and had quite a few nice swimming days as temps were in the 70s-80s (however, Orlando had a cold snap the week or two prior to that trip with freezing temps). With that said, there's really no telling what it will be like until you get there, so I would pack a little of everything and plan to swim, but also be prepared for the possibility of it being too cold. Have a great trip :wizard:.

My DS and I were there in the middle of December last year and he was able to get a couple of swims in (even at night!). Being from Iowa and being his birthday he thought it was cool to be able to swim outside in December! Our departure day was a little cool and he and a few other kids were in the pool swimming and then the adults (including me!) were sitting next to the pool in jeans and a sweatshirt!

We've been the first week of January many times for the marathon. A few times it was in the 80's. Other times, we had to bundle up. It just depends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter