Will a Poly Lover like Wilderness Lodge?

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
My family and i went to wdw for the first time last december and stayed at the Poly , fell completely and madly in love with it. We made a visit to the wilderness lodge during the trip and thought it looked nice and cozy.
We are planing to go again this year and im considering a split stay at poly and WL but i keep feeling like i dont want to even miss 1 night at the poly.
Will i regret using a couple nights to stay at the WL?

It's nice to experience other resorts. My DH wants to stay at POR each trip. That's his all-time fave ! I like to try different places and themes. Just make sure if you do a split stay do WL 1st. If you're staying 7 nights, do 2 at WL the rest at POLY. Then you'll know for next time....We are staying at the POLY for our 1st time next month. 8 nights LV. So maybe I'll change my answer after that ! I'm afraid I'm going to be "hooked" too ! And at these prices, that ain't good !:worried: We could have done POR twice for this 1 POLY stay ! But I need to experience this place at least once in my life and we just don't know what's around the next corner...
Go for it and enjoy the change :thumbsup2

We used to stay at the Poly, but thru the years it has out priced itself for what it's worth.....

Yeah, room are bigger, monorail access, view of the MK from the beach ( far far away).... That's it...place to shower and sleep, years ago I decided the cost over ride the amenities...

WL became our go to resort... Thru the years and trips (over 45 ) we've done almost all the deluxe resorts except BWI..... Some more often then others and some never again... But the WL has never let us down, location, theme, beauty and price.... Top shelf for us.... Plus we don't feel we're throwing money away like staying at the Poly....

I would stay at the resort I love until I am tired of going there and decide that I want to try something new. Or, I need to or want to spend less money on a resort. I love the tried and true, the one that has never let me down, the place that makes me happy. A trip to WDW is more than a trip to a bunch of theme parks. It is the whole experience. And it is expensive. Go where you will be happiest. :)

My family and i went to wdw for the first time last december and stayed at the Poly , fell completely and madly in love with it. We made a visit to the wilderness lodge during the trip and thought it looked nice and cozy.
We are planing to go again this year and im considering a split stay at poly and WL but i keep feeling like i dont want to even miss 1 night at the poly.

I know exactly how you feel because we loved the Poly the minute we checked in :goodvibes. We've stayed at both the WL and Poly and love both for different reasons, but the Poly will always be our favorite. The WL is a beautiful resort and we love the outdoor/woods theme, but the Poly has an edge for us in that the rooms are quite a bit larger and all rooms come with a daybed. The WL is a very nice resort, but I will say it is hard to go to a smaller room with no daybed once you've experienced a more spacious room with an extra bed. Plus the tropical atmosphere is so relaxing and it's hard to beat having the beach right there for watching the fireworks and seeing the castle off in the distance. I agree with the pp that if you do end up doing a split, I'd do the WL first and end with the Poly, that way if you don't care for the WL, you know your trip will end with something you know and love :).

OP,
There is nothing to say your thoughts and feeling for the PR after staying there only once are any different then someone who says they love the Poly after multiple vacation and staying at all the deluxe resorts.

On the other hand, it sounds like you have not stayed at any other deluxe, so it is possible you might like another resort just as much or more. Then there could be the possibilty your concern could be real and impact your stay. This is probably your dilemma. You can always try to get a room at another resort if you find yourself not liking a resort, but it would be rack rate and based upon availability. Its not an ideal situation.

Overall, We did a spilt stay between PR and WL. We preferred PR over WL. There is always a very real possibility you would miss the PR, especially if you have it as a concern. Its a vacation, stay where you gut is telling you to stay, if your budget allows it. If a spilt stay, do WL first as others have recommended.

A split-stay is a great way to check out a new resort. If you spend a couple of days at the WL, then head over to the Poly, you know you will be happy in the end. And you might just find another favorite in the WL (and if you don't it's only a couple of days). IMO it's worth the chance.

That's how we've tried out new resorts -- always on a split with a favorite so that we know we will be happy with at least 1/2 the resorts. Honestly, it's been great and we ended up really liking every resort we have tried (AKL, YC, BC, GF, and the Poly). :goodvibes

Just make sure you put the Poly second, so you won't be moving away from it to the WL. ;)

Only you will know for sure, but you're asking so I'll answer ;)

We stayed at the Poly before we tried WL. Of the resorts that we had stayed at up to Poly, the Poly became my wife and my favorite resort. After staying at the WL, the Poly is still my wife's favorite resort but the WL moved into first place for me then. And now, because we have stayed at other resorts since WL. I just love the whole theme going on, from the landscaping when driving up to the resort, when you first see the lobby it's fantastic, and going outside to the back, another beautifully landscapes area. I loved walking around the grounds, and exploring the lodge itself.

I've written this in other posts similar to yours.

If you are not willing try new resorts; you may not discover your new favorite resort. So I say go for it. It may not become your new favorite, but it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. And then you will know if it is worth it or not! Because you won't know until you try it.

I actually don't like to stay at he same resort 2 times in a row. I stayed twice at Poly before trying WL. I enjoy the unique theming of each resort. I liked the convenience of everything in one building at WL and I am a hot tub lover with 2 at WL was great! If your family liked the looks of WL then you will love it:thumbsup2

Maybe do WL first then move to Poly. For split stays I always do my fav last.

I would say it would depend on how many are in your family. WL rooms are smaller and you may feel cramped. We love both Poly and WL, really I've enjoyed every WDW resort we've stayed at, all have something special to offer.

Im not a fan of split stays unless I'm on a longer trip of 10+ days. Otherwise I just feel like I'm checking in & out, without being able to settle at either resort.

Oh my, I know exactly how you feel! Once I found the Beach Club, I did NOT want to go anywhere else!!!!

I am a huge creature of habit, so to go anywhere else was really uncomfortable to me lol. One time the wife decided she wanted to try something new (just so happened to be the Wilderness Lodge), so after our Disney Cruise 3 years ago, we went to the Wilderness Lodge for a few days. I loved it, its a great place, wonderful theme, great feel, awesome restaurants, amazing pool, etc etc etc. BUT....it was no Beach Club!!! And I was highly disappointed that I never got to see my Beach Club lol.

SO, what we do now is if she wants to try a new place, we will book the first 1 or 2 nights at a new place, and then the rest at the Beach Club (OORR now because of this new system, the Boardwalk!). So this is a safe way to try new places, and I don't think you will ever regret spending 1 or 2 nights out of 6-8 at a new spot. Who knows, you may find another staple like I did! Whenever we don't wanna try a new resort on a certain trip, I always book half Boardwalk, half Beach Club now!! lol

Im not a fan of split stays unless I'm on a longer trip of 10+ days. Otherwise I just feel like I'm checking in & out, without being able to settle at either resort.

I can see not liking to be able to settle in but I love the fact that you're packing up.....AND NOT GOING HOME YET!!! I love how it just messes with my head, its a double check in to me! Awww ok we're checking out of the Boardwalk....time to go home....noo wait....time to go to THE BEACH CLUB!! hahahahaaa!!!!

Great responses thanks guys.
Poly also has the sentimental value for us now as well.
Yea we did 7 days and thats what i plan to do again. So yea debating 2 days at the WL and then 5 at poly . The thing is coming back to the pool and beach and torches was so relaxing. My family is all adults so we spent time at the parks AND at the resort which was amazingly relaxing.
We had free dining so doing 1 resort was ideal.
The refurbishment at poly also has added to my interest level. At the same time the christmas decos will be up and i wanna expirience the WL as well.
This is one of the hardest decisions of my life hahaha.

Yea we did 7 days and thats what i plan to do again. So yea debating 2 days at the WL and then 5 at poly . The thing is coming back to the pool and beach and torches was so relaxing. My family is all adults so we spent time at the parks AND at the resort which was amazingly relaxing.
The refurbishment at poly also has added to my interest level. At the same time the christmas decos will be up and i wanna expirience the WL as well.

I would definitely do the WL first, because if you don't wind up liking it then at least you know you'll be heading to your safe haven next instead of home. It's a rough feeling to do a 1 or 2 night test somewhere at the end of your trip, wind up not liking it as much, and then have to go home on that kind of low note. It stinks.

. At the same time the christmas decos will be up and i wanna expirience the WL as well.

would go with WL - split stays are more expensive with free dinning - maybe with the WL part would just be the room - and yea that means it has to be at the end - so you can have the tickets.

so 5 days at Polyn, then 2 or 3 at WL.

WL has a lot of offer - it is to me very romantic - lots of spaces to curl up with a good book or your spouse..

I can see not liking to be able to settle in but I love the fact that you're packing up.....AND NOT GOING HOME YET!!! I love how it just messes with my head, its a double check in to me! Awww ok we're checking out of the Boardwalk....time to go home....noo wait....time to go to THE BEACH CLUB!! hahahahaaa!!!!
:rotfl:

I didn't notice you'd be at WL when the decorations are up :thumbsup2. I've only seen pics, by the time we go in Jan they are gone!! Both are great resorts, and maybe they'll finally have abhor tub in at Poly by then. We stayed at Poly in winter, and we really missed a hot tub. I think if we ever stay at Poly again it would be a summer trip. Funny, but I have certain resorts I like for winter trips, and others I prefer for summer.

The Poly is our favorite, but we stayed at the WL in 2008 and really enjoyed it. My DH loves it ALMOST as much as the Poly, but for the kids and me it's not that close.

That said, during the holidays, we all would choose the WL over the Poly, just for the decorations and that lobby with the fireplace. The special theme really works for the WL around the holidays, while the tropical theme isn't exactly what we're looking for at that time of year. For us the Poly theme holds more appeal when it's pretty much guaranteed to be hot out.

We have always stayed at the Poly but this past Christmas we decided to try the Wilderness Lodge. I loved it. The Christmas decorations were up and it was lovely to have everything under one roof. I am going back in September and I have to say nothing like the Poly. We are going back to Poly! I just missed being there and I loved the location and the monorail. you wont be dissapointed with your choice. They are both great.

twe1vestone2 said:
I would definitely do the WL first, because if you don't wind up liking it then at least you know you'll be heading to your safe haven next instead of home. It's a rough feeling to do a 1 or 2 night test somewhere at the end of your trip, wind up not liking it as much, and then have to go home on that kind of low note. It stinks.

I totally agree. Even if you end up preferring Poly over all, you're certain to love WL for a couple nights, especially at Holiday time.

I think Disney resorts are like your relatives - some you like more than others, but there's room to love more than one!

The key is to let each resort stand on it's own, without comparing it to another resort. Allow yourself to enjoy the theme and amenities of WL without constantly comparing it to what the Poly has. No two resorts have the exact same amenities, even those that are connected physically.

For example, I've stayed at BC and YC. Even though they are physically connected and share many amenities, the theme and tone of each resort is different, and there are enough differences in the amenities to make the stays totally different. Yet, I like them both.

I've had great stays at Poly and at WL, so I don't really see a wrong choice between them. I do agree with having your stay at the "new" resort first and then moving to the resort you are familiar with - just in case WL doesn't wow you as much as you thought it would.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter