Wilderness Lodge: Why so (relatively) cheap?

When I was trying to plan a May trip two years ago the Polynesian was significantly less expensive than it is for this May. That's when it was in the midst of its own renovations. Wilderness Lodge at the time was only slightly cheaper.

My AP rate for May at WL is $242, POR for preferred room was $227, POFQ was $232. I know that the rooms are smaller, I know it is a boat ride away, but WL seems to be a lot cheaper to me than it was lately, at least when they have a discount. AKL I think was the same price or close, I did not look closely but it seemed to be in the same ball park. The next closest was BWI and CR which was $330, and then the rest were $440. To me WL is closer to a moderate than a deluxe in price.
That's a nice rate. It's was over 300 for my dates, but I don't have annual passes and have no intention of getting them.

When I was trying to plan a May trip two years ago the Polynesian was significantly less expensive than it is for this May. That's when it was in the midst of its own renovations. Wilderness Lodge at the time was only slightly cheaper.
This is our first time back in 4 years. We've stayed at nearly every deluxe resort and never paid more than 250 a night. The price increases are shocking to me. Im shocked at Universal's price increases too. Im not sure if we'll ever go back after this. We'll head back to Europe next year on a cruise. I'm not seeing the value in a WDW vacation anymore.

This is our first time back in 4 years. We've stayed at nearly every deluxe resort and never paid more than 250 a night. The price increases are shocking to me. Im shocked at Universal's price increases too. Im not sure if we'll ever go back after this. We'll head back to Europe next year on a cruise. I'm not seeing the value in a WDW vacation anymore.
There never was value in a WDW vacation from a strictly dollar and cents view point. The experience itself is what makes it worthwhile. If that part disappears you are down to the money value and it's understandable how someone would reach that conclusion.

There never was value in a WDW vacation from a strictly dollar and cents view point. The experience itself is what makes it worthwhile. If that part disappears you are down to the money value and it's understandable how someone would reach that conclusion.
Value is a very personal and subjective. I would assume everyone has a breaking point when it comes to price. I've just reached that point. My son is really excited to go back so there is value in this trip. Fortunately for me and my bank account he'd rather cruise and not just on DCL .

While WL is a beautiful property, and very impressive in the lobby, it does not really compare to other deluxe resorts. The rooms are small and cramped. Also, their pool area is not on par with other deluxe resorts. When we were there last summer, the chairs were literally right on top of each other. People couldn't even walk to a chair without bumping into someone else's chair. There was also garbage all over the place in the pool area. Guests were leaving their cups and plates of half eaten food to be cleaned up by CM's who were nowhere to be found. In all our time there I cannot recall ever seeing a single CM come around for drinks/food. If you wanted something you had to get up and walk to the bar or inside to get it. We have stayed multiple times at the Yacht Club, Boardwalk and Swan and Dolphin. All of them had significantly better service, cleanliness and rooms.

That's surprising to read, since on TripAdvisor WL gets great reviews and is ranked higher than all those other resorts you mention. Room size doesn't bother me, and we won't use the pool. I like that there are only half the guests right now due to the construction.

While WL is a beautiful property, and very impressive in the lobby, it does not really compare to other deluxe resorts. The rooms are small and cramped. Also, their pool area is not on par with other deluxe resorts. When we were there last summer, the chairs were literally right on top of each other. People couldn't even walk to a chair without bumping into someone else's chair. There was also garbage all over the place in the pool area. Guests were leaving their cups and plates of half eaten food to be cleaned up by CM's who were nowhere to be found. In all our time there I cannot recall ever seeing a single CM come around for drinks/food. If you wanted something you had to get up and walk to the bar or inside to get it. We have stayed multiple times at the Yacht Club, Boardwalk and Swan and Dolphin. All of them had significantly better service, cleanliness and rooms.

I was surprised to see this. I've had several wonderful trips to WL, and I felt the resort grounds were lovely. While the Poly will always be my favorite because I love monorail access, the WL is my go-to "cheap" deluxe (and by "cheap" I actually mean "you'll spend five minutes crying over the total bill rather than 10 minutes").

Room size is certainly an issue for even a family of 4. But I've read lots of comments on this board about people seeing trash sitting for days in the hallways of the polynesian and yacht club, too. It seems nowhere is immune from declining service. One nice thing about the WL being under construction is that there's a lot fewer people around to make a mess. For $252 a night I think I can put up with it for the location.

That's a nice rate. It's was over 300 for my dates, but I don't have annual passes and have no intention of getting them.
For that price difference, you may want to consider getting an AP for one member of your party. Depending on the length of your stay, the savings on the hotel room could pay for the AP.

But then you would be stuck with this dilemma: Now that one person has an AP, do you make plans to go back again so you get more use out of the AP? This is what would get me. I would definitely want to go back and get more use out of the AP! And then I would end up spending more $$ at WDW! So, did I really save anything? Maybe, maybe not. But I would have lots of fun at WDW for a year!!! :)

For that price difference, you may want to consider getting an AP for one member of your party. Depending on the length of your stay, the savings on the hotel room could pay for the AP.

But then you would be stuck with this dilemma: Now that one person has an AP, do you make plans to go back again so you get more use out of the AP? This is what would get me. I would definitely want to go back and get more use out of the AP! And then I would end up spending more $$ at WDW! So, did I really save anything? Maybe, maybe not. But I would have lots of fun at WDW for a year!!! :)
We did AP's for a couple of years. This was back when the discounts were good. We've been more interested in traveling abroad the last few years. The 1300 sq foot apt I rented in Barcelona last Summer was about the same price per night as POP. We really do like WDW. It's just with the current prices I can't really justify it. I have too many countries I want to see, and WDW just eats up too much of my vacation budget.

That's a fair comment about the room rates. We paid $20 more per night to stay at the Ritz in Madrid last month than we will be spending on the WL. I am trying not to think about that too often. lol

It's $286 per night for our dates. Contemporary Garden Wing is just under $100 more per night. Will think about switching for the next 60 days....
I have been contemplating the same thing for my March stay.

I love the Contemporary for its location and dining options, but find it is always discounted much less than other deluxe resorts (typically only 10-15%). I got the Wilderness Lodge 35% off with the AP rate and have not been able to justify the $135 increase (yet). Standard view garden wing rooms are not coming up for me yet at the Contemporary, only garden view garden wing rooms. If I were closer to $100 maybe I would be more inclined. I just think of how that $135 would cover my entire dining for my sister and I per day. We plan on hitting up the parks a lot too rather than just relaxing at the resort so that also discourages me from switching. We are just a boat ride away from the Contemporary so I will probably just experience my first Wilderness Lodge stay.

I will say I had not considered ever staying at the Wilderness Lodge because I did not think the theme would appeal to me. In December I took a bus there and enjoyed a nice snack at Roaring Fork while killing some time before getting a boat to Fort Wilderness for the HDDR. I was able to appreciate what the resort had to offer, especially during Christmas time and now plan on dining at both Artist Point and Whispering Canyon while I am there.

That's a fair comment about the room rates. We paid $20 more per night to stay at the Ritz in Madrid last month than we will be spending on the WL. I am trying not to think about that too often. lol
Funny isn't it. When you get used to Disney prices everything else seems cheap. We're planning a Baltic cruise next year, but I'm also hoping to go back to WDW during value season in September. Hopefully with a labor day deal. WL is my kids favorite resort. I can't wait to see the renovations. I just couldn't get a decent priced room at WL for my dates in May. Were doing a split between AKL and BC. I'm hoping for a WL/BC split next year.

My AP rate for May at WL is $242, POR for preferred room was $227, POFQ was $232. I know that the rooms are smaller, I know it is a boat ride away, but WL seems to be a lot cheaper to me than it was lately, at least when they have a discount. AKL I think was the same price or close, I did not look closely but it seemed to be in the same ball park. The next closest was BWI and CR which was $330, and then the rest were $440. To me WL is closer to a moderate than a deluxe in price.
They have always been like that, well before construction came about. We stayed at WL in March 2015 and it was similarly priced. The rates are closer because Deluxe gets a higher discount percentage than Mod and the WL rack rate is lower than the others (and AKL is close) because of the size #1 and transportation #2. The resorts with more expensive rooms have bigger rooms and additional transportation. Those 2 factors were in place well before the construction and will be after too.

WL is my first choice for ambiance and relaxing location but other than the eating options available I never felt like it was a deluxe hotel. We always enjoyed the boat ride to the MK but found the bus transportation the worst of all resorts we've ever stayed at even in slow weeks. And now, DH's ECV would be a problem on the boats.

I would only ever go back to the WL if it was at Christmas and at a hefty discount. And personally I think those discounts will disappear once the resort is 50% or more DVC. Disney won't have to offer discounts there with a dwindling regular room inventory.

We did enjoy the CL food offerings even more than the Contemporary's but those tiny rooms and limited transportation options did us in.

Discounts at Poly didn't dwindle when they converted some of their rooms to DVC. We stayed there a couple summers ago, twice, at very good rates. Percentage wise, I think they run about the same, at least when we are booking.

Folks like me who really dislike relying on the the monorail are very glad there is another option in the MK area. I still struggle to figure out just why the monorail is a benefit, not with all it's breakdowns. Maybe we just have bad monorail luck, like your bad bus luck. We always get good bus luck (knock on wood) At least I can't get stuck in limbo on a bus

I agree getting an AP for one person to get the AP room savings (plus memory maker at no extra cost) may be worth it.

WL is wonderful. Yes, the rooms are smaller, but the ambiance and overall feel of the resort makes up for it unless size is your #1 concern above all else. The boat transportation is excellent and makes the monorail a simple boat ride away. I've stayed at several of the deluxes and I'd pick WL any day over any of the EPCOT resorts (and most of the monorail loop besides the Contemporary, for that matter — the Contemporary will always be my favorite). The lower price per room at WL just makes it more enticing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter